The Promises We Made || Boku...

By V01D_2

"π‘·π’“π’π’Žπ’Šπ’”π’† π’Žπ’†, π’˜π’‰π’†π’ π’˜π’† π’ˆπ’“π’π’˜ 𝒖𝒑, π’šπ’π’–'𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 π’“π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• π’ƒπ’†π’”π’Šπ’…π’† π’Žπ’†." "𝑰 𝒑𝒓�... More

0 | Introductions
0.5 | Kenji
1 | Inseparable
2 | Fear
3 | Doubtful
4 | Rising Up
5.5 | Aftermath
6 | New Beginnings
7 | START!
8 | Warmth
9 | Laughter
10 | First Day!
11 | Overpowered
EX CHAPTERS
EX Chapter 1 | Bad Moods
12 | Discovery PT. 1
EX Chapter 2 | Incorrect Quotes
13 | The Worst Case Scenario
14 | Breakthrough (Discovery Pt. Final)
14.5 | Stars and Freedom
15 | To Forgive is to Forget
16 | ...A Declaration?
17| Domination and Determination

5 | He and I

727 26 1
By V01D_2

Kenji stared at himself again, contemplating his next few moves before the U.A. entrance exams starts, contemplating if he should rope in Katsuki to help him train or to do things solo again. A sickly feeling started to brew in the pits of his stomach, it was the same discomfort he felt whenever Katsuki hang out with his 'friends' instead of Kenji; it was the same feeling he felt when Katsuki stopped hanging out with him temporarily just to play with the other kids in the playground when they were kids. "I'm jealous..." Kenji muttered, feeling the need to barf this unusual feeling, gods he hated this, it was akin to torture.

"Why am I jealous anyway, it was his idea to stop hanging out just to lessen the shit people think about me," Kenji said to himself before pulling out his phone and texting Katsuki.

Boom Boom Boy

Shouldn't you be asleep? We have classes tomorrow.

-- TODAY --

My Number 2

Yo Katsuki!

Boom Boom Boy

Do you need anything while I'm out?

My Number 2

what?
No, not really, I just wanted to say I'll be going to that bookstore that just opened, I was wondering if you wanna come with?

Boom Boom Boy

I'm going somewhere rn with some extras. Do you want anything? Food?

My Number 2

oh. no thanks.
Have fun!

Boom Boom Boy

*seen*

Kenji sighed to himself, fidgeting with the grenade keychain on his phone before shoving the gadget into his pockets and kicking the door open to see Izuku just about to leave their classroom with a pained expression. "It was Katsuki... the scorch mark on Izuku's uniform suggests so..." Kenji thought before running to the mumbling boy about something along the lines of bullying and stupid. "Sounds like Katsuki said something to you huh." Kenji stated from behind, making the smaller male yelp out in shock. "K-k-kenchan! When did you get here?" "Just now, I was just about to look for you, wanna hang out with me?" Kenji asks and Izuku started stammering and flailing his arms around.

"Sorry, I have something to do today," Izuku said, bowing to Kenji before leaving. "Looks like I'm on my own again..." Kenji said before plugging in his earphones and starting listening to his playlist.

Kenji hummed to the tune of Surface Pressure by Jessica Darrow while he weaved his way through the crowd and reached the bookstore. "Ah, Murata! Good to see you!" Natsume Hanabi, the owner of the store, greets the teen the moment the door chime rang. "Good afternoon Natsume! Any good recommendations?" Kenji asks, scanning the school supplies and novels and manga scattered around.

"Well the latest installment of Kimetsu no Yaiba is out, I saved one copy for you!" Natsume replied and Kenji pumped his fists and thanked the young lady, "Thank you so much!" Kenji thanked the lady and started fanboying. It was one of those rare moments where he felt genuinely happy or excited about something. A bookworm's dream he says. "Well don't let me stop you in your browsing," Natsume said as she went back to organizing a brown box's contents.

Kenji wandered around and spotted the workout routine books, making him squint at it and think if he should get some of these for physical training. "Uhmm.. excuse me... can I get a copy of that book?" A voice asked from behind Kenji, "O-oh! Sorry! Here you go!" Kenji said, handing over one of the workout routine things to the boy. He had long black hair, red eyes, a scar on one of them, and sharp teeth. "Thanks, man! Woah is that Kimetsu no Yaiba?!" The boy exclaims when he saw Kenji's basket and the other nods. "Good to see someone with good taste." Kenji joked as he showed the other guy the manga.

"Damn, the volume was sold out, I guess you had the last one huh." The boy said, pouting. "Well... I guess you can borrow it for today or something. You know borrow it from me." Kenji proposed and the other's eyes shined with hope. "Really?! Ah-- I mean, if you're okay with it." He said sheepishly, making Kenji chuckle. "Yeah! I'm still waiting for my friend to catch up with the last volume, so you know you can read it until you're done." Kenji said and the other guy thanked him repeatedly.

"Oh right, my name is Kirishima Eijirou! How about yours?" Kirishima said and Kenji shook Kirishima's hand, "Murata. Murata Kenji. A pleasure to meet your sharky." Kenji teased, making the other blush in shock. "I'm kidding, anyway let me pay for the book first then I'll lend it over to you. Oh yeah, phone number please?" Kenji asked and Kirishima handed over his number. "Alright then, Natsume? I'd like to pay up." Kenji said, getting the attention of the woman, "Oh, give me that Kiri, let me pay for it." Kenji said, snatching Kirishima's training books or guides and paying it. "WHAT?! You didn't have to!" Kirishima exclaimed but it was too late. "Consider it a gift! Anyway, you better take care of this book, or else." Kenji warned, smiling at Kirishima 'nicely.'

"I'll see you around Kiri!" "Thanks again, Murata!" Kirishima replied, waving and holding onto the manga as if his life depended on it. Well, it kinda is, never underestimate a bookworm's wrath.

"That was a pleasant surprise," Kenji said smiling at the newfound friend and person in his contacts.

"Hey Katsuki, aren't you and Midoriya like childhood friends or something?" A guy with messy black hair asked.

"Yeah you kinda went too far today" Another guy, long brown-haired that went down his neck, added. "Well, I mean Kenji wasn't there to defend the poor loser anyway." The first guy commented, recalling that Kenji left the room first and left Izuku alone. "Where did the freak go anyway?" The second guy asked, looking at Katsuki for a proper answer. "Huh? There must be a new release or something in his favorite bookstore or some shit. Why are you asking me anyway?!" Katsuki yelled, making the other boys chuckle, "Well you see know him more than anyone, and you have his habits memorized. It's kinda a shame that you two don't hang out anymore." The second boy commented, making Katsuki scoff at it.

He has to pretend that they don't see eye to eye anymore right? Not until they're out of that hellhole they call middle school.

"And seeing Deku so full of stupid dreams or whatsoever just pisses me off, and it was his fault for getting in my way," Katsuki said, kicking a bottle to a wall and causing the can he held to explode.

"And he's planning to attend U.A. that was surprising. I wonder if U.A. will even accept a freak like him. That attitude and quirk, there's no way." One of Katsuki's 'friends' commented, "What the hell is that supposed to mean ha?" Katsuki asked, glaring at his peers.

"You of all people should know that right? I mean, he caused a lot of problems in school right? Kids crying and stuff y'know? Not really hero-like."

"You just don't know what happened. It was the only time Kenji stood up for himself." Katsuki thought, "And besides..."

"When we both grow up Kenji, I want you to be my number two!"

"Because I'm your number one. And you're my number one! Is there anything better?!"

"Now fucking promise me, that you and I are going to be the strongest heroes ever!"

Katsuki decided to ignore his 'friend's' comments, not hearing his peers warning him of a green-like sludge forming behind him, big bulging eyes, and a huge mouth. "A body... with a good quirk!"

"SHIT!" Katsuki thought before he was wrapped in the villain's quirk.

"Yes, auntie. I'll go look for him right now.... what? Dinner? Uhmm... Mapo Tofu and Pork Cutlet? Anything else auntie?... the news?... WHAT?!!!" Kenji exclaimed, ending the call with Mitsuki, and ran at full speed where the villain attack was.

"Katsuki? Villain? I have to check on him! FUCKING LEGS RUN FASTER!!" Kenji thought as he ran through the streets before finally seeing a crowd of heroes and civilians gathered in a one-way street. Kenji managed to weave into the front of the crowd and sees the sludge villain around Katsuki, suffocating him, slowly taking control of him. Kenji's eyes widened in shock as he realized that the pro heroes that were present aren't doing anything.

"Are they... waiting for Katsuki to die?! No... their quirks are incompatible with this kind of situation!" Kenji thought as he gripped onto the plastic bag that contained his new mangas. "There's no way I'm going to jump in there with my manga!" Kenji thought before Katsuki's eyes landed on his. Fear consumed the blonde's gaze.

Without thinking, Kenji dropped his plastic bag and ran in without a plan. "Hey! you two idiots! get back here!" A pro hero yelled to Kenji and someone else. "Two?" Kenji said and saw Izuku running with him

"IZUKU?!" Kenji yelled in shock upon seeing his other friend who seemed to be also engulfed in panic. "SORRY KENJI! I just... I just thought he needed some help." Izuku cried, throwing his backpack at the villain, causing it to flinch and lose its grip on Katsuki.

"Stand back!" Kenji ordered, letting his right arm be covered in a dark coating, and morphing it into a huge pitch-black hand with claws. "I have to pierce through the villain's body and grab Katsuki and pull him back." Kenji thought, launching his arm at the villain, making it stretch and go through the villain's fluid body. "Found him!" Kenji said as he pulled out Katsuki, who was barely conscious upon release.

"Stop it you two! You'll both die in vain!" The pro heroes yelled as they rushed in to assist the three middle schoolers. Kenji hugged Katsuki closely to him as he summons forth a monster twice his size, pitch-black body with white beady eyes, ready to fight and protect its master. "You damn kids!" The villain yelled out, getting ready to attack. Then something blocked the attack.

"I really am pathetic." All Might said, blocking the attack just now, Kenji couldn't care less about who it was, he just hugged Katsuki close to him, refusing to let him go. "Even though I admonished you, I wasn't putting what I said into practice! Pros are always risking their lives!" All Might declared, preparing to land a punch. Izuku, Kenji, and Katsuki only watched in awe before registering that they're going to get blasted away if they don't anchor themselves.

"HOLD ON TO ME IZUKU! HATE PROTECT US!" Kenji ordered as the monster wrapped itself around the trio and a huge blast of wind and incredible force hit them, Kenji barely keeping all three of them protected and remain on the ground.

Kenji deactivated his quirk and let hate disintegrate and decay away. People were starting to fawn over All Might, showering him with different praises and cheers as he stood in the middle of it all with a raised fist. The heroes went out to collect and gather the sludge villain's pieces and deliver it to the police safely, Izuku and Kenji got scolded by the pros for risking their lives. "If it wasn't for us Katsuki wouldn't be here right now." Kenji thought as his anger slowly manifested itself via the jet-black coating growing on his right arm.

Katsuki was praised by other pro heroes, but his frown and frustration never really left.

Kenji couldn't care what the pro heroes thought or would say to him, he's just happy Katsuki was okay and well. But then, he has to explain himself to Katsuki, Katsuki's parents, and his own parents about his rash behavior.

Once the pros were done with the scolding and let them go, Kenji immediately stood up and made his way to Katsuki, swiftly whisking him away and dragging him back to their home.

But before leaving, Kenji looked back at Izuku, "You and I will have a talk later okay?" Kenji said before walking away with Katsuki

The walk home was quiet, it wasn't awkward or anything, it's just that there was a lot to process; All Might was there to save the day, Izuku ran into danger without fully registering it, Katsuki was held hostage and almost passed out, and Kenji rushed in, in the same manner too.

"Hey." Katsuki was the first to break the silence.

"Hm?" Kenji hummed in acknowledgment, stopping their tracks. "Why... why did you and Deku come running in without a goddamn second thought huh?! Who told you two I needed saving huh?! I don't need anyone's help!" Katsuki vented out, yelling at Kenji, as he gripped the hem of his uniform tightly.

Kenji understood Katsuki more than anyone, and he knew that Katsuki was only saying this out of denial that he was weak and that he couldn't fight back. "Who told you huh?!" Katsuki demanded again, his eyes starting to water, as he gritted his teeth. Kenji's gaze onto Katsuki softens as the taller male walked up to his best friend and hugged him tightly as if he was scared that he'll disappear.

"Your heart screamed for me. You screamed out my name, you were afraid. I couldn't just sit idly and let you be." Kenji said, stroking the blonde's spiky hair, calming Katsuki down. "It's not like I did that to mock you, or to say that you were weak. You were tough enough to not pass out and continue to fight, even I couldn't do that. You held strong because you knew that, with my help, you'll be saved." Kenji continued.

Kenji lets go of Katsuki and grab his rough palms, a side effect of Katsuki's quirk, and led him to their home. "Let's talk about this when we're home. Our parents are worried sick." Kenji said and Katsuki agreed.

Upon arriving at the Bakugou residence, they were both greeted by Mitsuki, Masaru, and Makoto who had two first aid kits ready. Kenji let Katsuki's parents tend to him while Makoto talked to her son outside privately.

"What you did was reckless, and you know that right?" Makoto scolded her son, who just nodded. "And you could've gotten really hurt." She continued, placing a bandage on her son's cheek, "But... I'm proud of you." She said, placing her hand on her son's cheek, which Kenji leans into. "You did what the pro heroes in the scene couldn't, and that is to take the first step. You're growing up so fast Kenji, and I couldn't be even prouder for you." Makoto said as she hugged her son, tears spilling out. "Hey mom..." Kenji said, making Makoto release the hug. "What is it darling?" "I think... it's time for me to let go." Kenji said as he hands over a white bottle to his mom.

"I'll talk to you about this tomorrow, I'm staying over at Katsuki's." Kenji said before going back inside and leaving his smiling mother behind, "You really are growing up! I'll support your decision no matter what Kenji." Makoto thought as she throws away the bottle into the trash and walked back to her own house.

They were finally alone, dinner was amazing as usual with the mix of Mitsuki scolding and praising Katsuki and Kenji for what happened, but Kenji knows that deep down she just cares about her son's safety.

The two sat in Katsuki's room silently, Katsuki was on his desk answering homework while Kenji laid down on Katsuki's bed with manga on hand. "I... I was scared." Katsuki said, making all activities in the room halt, as his right hand started to shake in fear. "I was scared that... I might die right there..." Katsuki admitted, frowning at his left hand before balling it into a fist.

"I wasn't mad at you Kenji for saving me... I was mad that you risked your life without a single doubt in your eyes. You looked like you were ready to save my life in exchange for your own." Katsuki said, turning around to look Kenji in the eye. "I was scared that I might lose you right there..." Katsuki added, walking to where Kenji was and sat right beside him.

Kenji sat up and places an arm around his best friend's shoulder, letting Katsuki know that he's right there, beside him. People often overlook the emotional consequences of villain attacks, and Kenji was an expert at emotional problems. "I'm here Katsuki. Everything is going to be okay. I'm here." Kenji said, letting Katsuki lean into him. "What's important is you're safe and I'm okay. Nothing else matters to me, as long as we're both okay then I'm happy. I know you're scared and frustrated, and that's okay! I would be as well if I'm being honest, but now we're here in your room, sitting on your bed, and listening to each other." Kenji continued, slowly making Katsuki calm down his breathing.

The two stayed in that position for a good while before Kenji pulls out something from his pocket. "I bought something for us, I had it commissioned months ago and it finally came!" Kenji said making Katsuki raise an eyebrow. "Is it another plush or action figure of us?" He asked, recalling Kenji's tendencies to commission artists to make some 'merch' for both of them.

"No no. It's actually really simple, here." Kenji said as he handed Katsuki a necklace with a heart-shaped accessory, the heart was split into two colors, one half was black, the other was white. "What's this?" Katsuki asked and Kenji chuckled, "It's a necklace, I got us matching ones, see!" Kenji said pulling out another one, but this time it had an explosion charm, but there seems to be a heart-shaped dip or hole into it.

The heart fits perfectly into that hole.

"I thought it was cute where you can place the other charm inside the other!" Kenji smiled, wearing the necklace with the explosion charm. Katsuki stared at his own necklace and contemplated if he should wear this, "Well?" Kenji asked, tilting his head in curiosity. Katsuki scoffed at Kenji and wore the necklace, ignoring that people might spread rumors about them or some shit.

"You know people will start to think that you and I are something right? After two years of not hanging out, we suddenly have these goddam stupid necklaces." Katsuki commented, only to make Kenji laugh, "We're gonna look like we're a thing or something!" Katsuki continued, only getting a few more laughs from Kenji.

"Is that such a bad thing?"Kenji said, wiping away a single tear from all that laughing. "Besides, I don't care about what other people think. I'll do whatever I want for my own happiness." Kenji said with a smile.

Little did both know, Kenji lied.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.2K 1.2K 20
hello everybody! This is a suicidal/depressed deku book with Dadmic! Will their bond grow? Will Mic fuck up? Will Izuku try to kill himself? Find out...
299K 14K 62
What would you do if an awfully sketchy website pops up in front of your desperate face saying that they can take you to the world of your dreams? F...
202K 6.1K 67
⚠️Includes⚠️: Depression, selfharming, boyxboy, suicide attempt, anxiety ⚠️I do NOT own any of the characters or pictures I used in this book. THIS I...
8K 281 16
What happens when your mom arranges you to be put into a marriage with your childhood friend? What happens when your childhood friends doesn't want t...