The Caged Bird

By bvnnytale

In a dystopian future which has reverted to the medieval way of life, vampires have become the elites. Tasked... More

01. The Next Life
02. Daylight Attack
03. The Harem
04. Lessons
05. The Lord Returns
06. The Party
07. A Plan Revealed
08. Wartime
09. Leave
10. King
11. The Meeting
12. Dinner
13. Returned
14. The Feeding Chamber
15. Favored
16. New Tutor
17. Handmaid
18. Jealousy
19. The Enemy
20. Hygate Dilemma
21. Embrace
22. Reunited
23. Feeding
24. Warning
25. Union
26. Favor Rite
27. Celebration
28. Just a Dance
29. A Trade
31. A Beast
32. Unborn
33. A Second Chance
34. Missing
35. By Any Other Name
36. Wedding
37. Revenge
38. Intruder
39. Birth
40. Rebirth
41. The Next Life

30. The Plan

48 3 0
By bvnnytale

When August finally stirred from his sleep Lark was preparing for bed. She had been so drained from the celebration that she felt as if she'd barely slept the night before. She was dressed in her nightgown with her hair piled high on her head and a new embroidery project laid in her lap. She had enjoyed a brief visit from King who had brought her a glass bead as a gift. She had used it to represent the eye of the new bird she was stitching. With each stitch it seemed to become more alive and by the time August interrupted it was nearly finished. He watched approvingly until she became aware of his presence and met his eyes. She felt exposed in only her nightgown but smiled up at him as he studied her.

"My lord," she whispered. "How did you sleep?" He did look refreshed, less depleted than earlier in the day.

"I feel restored," he replied. He sat beside her on her settee. "But not completely."

Lark glanced at him as she continued to add slow, deliberate stitches.

"Oh?"

She watched a satisfied smile spread over August's face as he leaned forward and brushed some stray tendrils of hair from her neck. The sensation of his fingertips against her skin made her shiver. She pretended to ignore him as she felt him draw nearer, his lips close to her cheek. But they pressed against her jaw she gasped and blushed, turning to him with an indignant expression.

"My lord," she scoffed. "This is important work." She brandished her needle threateningly. But August was unperturbed and smiled back at her, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"I apologize for interrupting. Please continue," he retorted. She nodded and she returned to her embroidery. But he continued to press kisses against her face, neck and shoulders. She was soon too distracted to add even a single stitch. Her facade of control began to falter and a smile began to pull at the corners of her mouth. Finally she laughed and August pulled her into a hug. She looked adoringly up at him with a flushed face and bright eyes. He lifted her into his lap and embraced her more desperately than usual. He pressed her tightly against him, burying his face in her neck and grabbing at her nightgown. He held her as carefully as he could but she could feel his control slipping. For a moment she thought he might be overcome with desire. But as he pulled away and she saw his expression, she reconsidered. His eyes were deep and dark as they searched her face for an answer to the question he hadn't yet asked her.

He slid off of the settee, leaving her perched above where he kneeled on the floor. From his pocket he produced a delicate silver ring with a red jewel. He held it up to her with sincerity. She still hadn't realized what was happening and he could see her confusion. But he was unfazed.

"Lark," he said softly. "Will you marry me?"

Lark was stunned, unable to muster any sort of reply. She stared intently at the ring he held delicately in his fingers and the gem appeared to glow faintly. Time felt slow and then stopped completely as they made eye contact and she realized that he was serious. Vampires and humans rarely wed. It was nearly unheard of. Lark had certainly never believed it to be possible. It would give her too much power. If he was to die she would gain control of the territory. A human had not controlled a territory for centuries. It would be an unprecedented event. There would be a significant amount of unrest from other lords and perhaps even retaliation. Lark's head began to spin with the weight of this decision. What was August's motive? Why was he so willing to depart from tradition? But before she could fully consider the consequences of this unusual proposal she had already given her answer.

"Yes," she replied breathlessly. It was barely more than a whisper and her fear and confusion was obvious. But so was her absolute happiness. Tears began to form in her eyes but before they could fall August slipped the ring onto her finger and pulled her off her feet into an embrace. She pressed her face into his coat and laughed as he spun her. They both felt as if they could burst from the intensity of their joy. He set her down and whispered into her hair.

"I love you, Lark."

"I love you, August," she replied. She pushed away her doubts and anxiety and basked in the unbelievable happiness of the moment as they stood quietly in her chamber in each other's arms. Everything felt safe and right for just a few seconds. He felt her heartbeat against him and relished in the warmth of her body. She was so vibrant and alive. She reached up to kiss him and it was more passionate than many kisses they had shared. She was hungry in a way she hadn't been before. She wrapped her arms around his neck without hesitation and pulled him down to meet her. She pulled away and kissed his jaw playfully and he resisted the urge to gather her up in his arms and bring her to her bed. Mingled with his contentment was a strong desire to claim her. He felt his yearning for her intensifying and she could feel him hardening against her abdomen. A wicked smile lit up her face but his eyes were closed in his passion and he didn't see it. As he caressed her back she arched against him greedily. But as he reached for her breasts she drew back and he followed, longing to feel her flesh in his hands. He barely noticed that they were approaching the bed as his head was swimming with visions of her naked body. When she pulled him down onto the bed he felt a growl roll out of his chest. He opened his eyes but instead of fear he saw longing on her face. As he leaned over her they moved together and hastily undressed. In moments he was inside her, thrusting against her eager body as the chorus of their cries filled the quiet night. His hands ran down her chest, cupping her breasts and sliding down the softness of her stomach. His fingers wandered over her thighs and through her hair which had fallen free in their ecstasy. Her climax made stars appear before her and he pushed even more deeply as her nails dug into his back. Her eagerness and shaking body coaxed him to his own orgasm while he was still buried deeply inside her. As they fell away from each other both were completely satisfied. She shuddered with exhaustion but her face was blissful as he pulled her onto his body and stroked her back delicately. She kissed his chest sleepily and made noises of quiet contentment before drifting off into a heavy sleep.

After about an hour of quiet relaxation, Lark had shifted off of August's chest and now lay nestled against him. He carefully extracted himself from her embrace and slipped off the bed. A smile softened his face and he looked back at her. He felt almost drunk from the intensity of his love for her and her acceptance of his proposal. He had been considering this marriage since soon after he had first met Lark or perhaps even before that. After losing Ora he had felt an acute pain and the void she had left could never be entirely filled. But through this marriage he would be able to set a plan into motion that would prevent this void from widening.

He sat at his desk and unfurled a roll of parchment to write a letter. He would need to inform his allies of his intentions in an attempt to avoid conflict. Some would protest but at least they would be informed before he sent out his wedding announcements to the surrounding territories. He feared the wrath of the council but if his plan unfolded as he intended they would be powerless to stop him. There was only one way to ensure the safety of his territory and future wife. He would need an heir.

He dipped his pen and began to write.

I write to inform you of my intention to wed...

The letter went on to name his betrothed and the circumstances of their union. This he copied several times. He added his personal seal to the folded parchment before sending them away with a messenger. His plan was set in motion and was now an unstoppable force. Even if the wedding never occurred his power would diminish and his kingdom would become a target without swift action. He had to work quickly to establish the next phase of his plan. He returned to Lark's side on the bed and pulled her close to him before kissing her hair gently. She made a gentle sound of contentment. Despite the anxiety tightening his chest August was calmed by her presence. Trying to banish his fears with thoughts of a life with her, he laid with her throughout the night, unable to focus on anything but her pale sleeping form beside him.

Lark awoke in August's arms in the late afternoon. He would still sleep for many hours so she was gentle while slipping out of bed and tiptoeing back to her chamber. Sara was there to greet her. She had expected Lark's absence so soon after the Rite and had a knowing smile on her face as her mistress snuck through the door. Seeing that she was tense, Sara drew Lark a hot bath. As Lark stepped into the steaming water she felt her muscles fully relax. Flower petals floated serenely on the surface of the perfumed water and the room glowed with gentle candlelight. She soaked for a few moments in peace. But it didn't last. Excitement was still coursing through her and questions began to form in Lark's mind about the proposal. As the adrenaline faded she began to come to terms with the agreement she had just made. She was a Favored pet but still only the property of August, who was part of the ruling class. Their unions could cause chaos within the kingdom and the country as a whole. If other lords were offended by the marriage they would retaliate with brutal force. Though Lark was now more respected in August's court she would never be considered a candidate for marriage due to her status. She breathed deeply, trying to calm her nerves with the fragrant steam. She couldn't think of anyone to turn to for advice and though she knew she could trust Sara she was also aware that her handmaid could offer nothing but comfort. She needed more information.

She stepped out of the bath and pulled a robe around her. Bernard might be her only hope. Sara helped Lark dress and then changed into a prettier gown herself to go with her mistress to the library. Though they had been infrequent and discreet in their correspondence Sara and Bernard's relationship had blossomed. They rarely had the chance to meet and Sara bubbled with anticipation as she and Lark traversed the castle corridors. They walked in silence until Lark was sure they would not overheard by a guard or servant. She pulled Sara gently into an alcove where a massive stone statue stood guard beside the grand entrance hall. Sara's elation turned to confusion.

"Sara," Lark whispered. "Our Lord has asked for my hand in marriage."

Sara was dumbfounded, regarding her with disbelief despite Lark's earnest tone and flushed face. It seemed to slowly dawn on her that Lark was being sincere.

"Marriage?" she whispered breathlessly. "Is that possible?"

As she recovered from the sudden news she couldn't hide her delight. She tried to stifle a smile.

"I'm not sure," Lark admitted slowly. "But I have accepted."

Sara gazed at her rapturously.

"I cannot say I'm surprised. I hope to find the same happiness one day." Bernard's gentle smile flashed across her consciousness. But she noticed that Lark seemed troubled by her situation.

"Are you not happy?" she asked gently. Lark shook her head.

"A part of me is overcome with joy," she replied. "But another part is frightened. I have never heard of an arrangement like this. It could put our kingdom in danger. Vampires are infatuated with tradition. Breaking it in this way will not go unpunished." Sara's face darkened as she nodded in agreement.

"I see," she sighed. "I still offer my congratulations and hope we can find a solution."

"That is why we are going to meet Bernard. I feel he may be one of the only staff in the castle we can completely trust. Perhaps he has books, documents, or records that can help us. Maybe there is a precedent for this type of marriage. It might have happened before." Sara smiled indulgently.

"I can guarantee his assistance," she assured her. "And if he will not assist you he can be easily distracted."

Lark was coaxed into a laugh as Sara smoothed her hair, raised her chin, and strode into the corridor with confidence. They soon approached the library together and knocked. But to their surprise it was not Bernard who opened the door. It was Devroe. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9M 357K 47
Being kidnapped is one thing. Being taken to a Kingdom full of immortal vampires, that's another thing. To everyone, Raven is nobody. If anything, sh...
1K 48 36
Lilith was alone but she liked it that way, she had worked in a diner for the past five years. Everything was going fine until one night she met Dra...
58.1K 4.6K 26
Book 1 - The Royal Blood Collection The world is filled with infighting and desperation; uncertainty is rife. Humanity hides of a night, fearing the...
10 0 9
An exciting new vampire series that will take you into a world where vampires rule and humans are treated and used as their pets. Natalie has been so...