The Caged Bird

By bvnnytale

In a dystopian future which has reverted to the medieval way of life, vampires have become the elites. Tasked... More

01. The Next Life
02. Daylight Attack
03. The Harem
04. Lessons
05. The Lord Returns
06. The Party
07. A Plan Revealed
08. Wartime
09. Leave
10. King
11. The Meeting
12. Dinner
13. Returned
14. The Feeding Chamber
15. Favored
16. New Tutor
18. Jealousy
19. The Enemy
20. Hygate Dilemma
21. Embrace
22. Reunited
23. Feeding
24. Warning
25. Union
26. Favor Rite
27. Celebration
28. Just a Dance
29. A Trade
30. The Plan
31. A Beast
32. Unborn
33. A Second Chance
34. Missing
35. By Any Other Name
36. Wedding
37. Revenge
38. Intruder
39. Birth
40. Rebirth
41. The Next Life

17. Handmaid

61 3 0
By bvnnytale

Lark had not slept much during the night. She had heard noises all around her every time she closed her eyes. She knew these sounds were imaginary but could not dispel her anxiety. When the sun finally began to rise she felt a relief wash over her. She knew she would soon have to meet Bernard for her lessons but with golden light filling her chamber she could no longer fight off her exhaustion. She finally slept. Though a guard came to collect her for her lessons she refused. She was unable to drag herself from her bed and he left her there and went to inform Bernard. Her teacher let her sleep and when she finally stirred that afternoon and ate a meal she was finally able to complete her lesson.

Bernard had scolded her but gently. He could see that there was something bothering her. She was more alert than usual and even though they were alone in his office she seemed to be searching for something. He didn't address it but sent a note to August. He knew the Lord would be disappointed if he returned to find her in distress. August had sent him a brief letter about the progress of their mission. It explained that they had been successful in crossing the border into Hygate and were now preparing a small team of soldiers to breach the castle where the humans were being imprisoned. August would be among them. Bernard had never approved of his Lord's desire to participate so intimately in this type of excursion. He was always at risk and had not named an heir. Despite their immortality vampires often died in battle and on enemy territory he was at risk of being captured and executed. Bernard tried to focus on writing lessons but found himself distracted. He left his desk to stroll around the courtyard and clear his head. Hopefully August would contact him soon.

Lark had left his office after her lessons to find a distraction of her own but found herself aimlessly wandering the halls of the castle instead. She had not received any correspondence from August since he had left for Hygate and knew it would probably be some time before his return. She was desperate for a confidant but knew there was no one within the castle she could trust. She passed the harem absently and glanced into the hall. The girls were all lounging in the pool together, wet hair piled up on top of their heads as fragrant steam spiraled up from the hot water. Rose petals floated on the water's surface and spiraled around their bodies. But something else caught Lark's attention. Lady Ferra was present in the hall. She was not bathing but lounging on a cushion at the edge of the pool. She was leaning forward, her mouth pressed sensually against Rose's neck. She pulled away to reveal two puncture wounds that dripped blood down Rose's neck where it flowed over her collarbone and down her chest into the pool. The women were all laughing and smiling as Ferra whispered to them.

Lark withdrew from the doors. She felt as though she was not supposed to see the scene unfolding in the harem. She was still not assured of all of the harem rules. She hadn't been among them long enough. She raced down the hallway towards the courtyard and burst into the fading sunlight. As she caught her breath King spiralled from a nearby tree and landed in front of her with a coin in his beak. He laid it at her feet as she leaned down to greet him. He hopped onto her outstretched arm and fluffed his feathers enthusiastically. She was comforted by his presence as she tucked the coin into her gown. He allowed her to ruffle his feathers as they walked together through the flowerbeds. Ariane had stepped out to tend them but as she caught sight of Lark she darted back inside, holding her robe shut around her damp body. Lark sighed and turned back to the main hall to embroider until dinner. She felt so out of place. As she entered August's wing and then her own chambers she considered writing August herself. She sat down at her desk and scribbled a note on a small piece of parchment.

My Lord, I find myself lonely. Could I be afforded a companion? I hope you are well.

Lark

She hadn't been willing to interrupt his mission but her mental state was suffering. Though she had enjoyed the company of Lady Ferra she seemed to be closer to the rest of the harem and could be used to ensure her destruction. She knew better than to trust anyone in the castle. Luckily for her, August's response was swift. The following day she received his reply.

Select a villager to be your handmaid. Bernard will accompany you. I am well. I think of you often and will return in three days.

August

Lark was ecstatic and hurried to her morning lessons after a quick breakfast. Though she wanted to leave immediately she knew Bernard would make her wait until her lessons were complete. They practiced a more intricate dance than the waltz and it was far more exhausting as well. By the time he was satisfied Lark was almost too fatigued to consider a ride to the village. But she couldn't help but to ask.

"When will we go to the village?" she asked breathlessly. Her face was flushed from exertion but Bernard was poised and cool.

"When you are ready," he replied. "I have sent messages into the village on your behalf. There should be a selection of ladies ready to be interviewed when we arrive."

"Thank you Bernard. I will be prepared shortly. Where will we meet?"

"At the stables."

With a rushed curtsy and newfound energy Lark ran to her chambers and changed her gown. She tied her cloak around her neck and hurried to stables. Bernard was already standing at the gate with her horse and his own stallion. They mounted together and set off over the drawbridge and towards the village. Lark was tempted to gallop for the entire journey but her spoiled mare was unconcerned. She followed Bernard's horse at a lazy canter as Lark squirmed in her saddle. It seemed like hours before they arrived in the village square. Bernard led her to the local inn where a small group of young women had congregated to await her arrival. They whispered amongst themselves as she approached and averted their eyes. Lark understood their reaction. Her fine clothes and well-fed horse were a rarity. Rarer still was her understanded gold jewelry. Even the bird necklace tucked into her gown drew the eye with it's delicate gold chain. Bernard helped her to dismount and led her into the inn. They settled into a private room and Bernard briefed her on the process of choosing her maid.

"Ask some simpler questions to eliminate those girls that are unlikely to be chosen. A second round of more complex questions will help you make your final decision."

"What questions should I ask?"

"That is your choice. I will be here to advise you."

Lark nodded and gestured for the innkeeper to admit the first girl. She was a slender, timid red-headed girl with large gray eyes. She had only just come of age for marriage and came from a humble farming background. When she was greeted the girl's curtsy was awkward and nervous but she did seemed earnest and honest.

"What is your name?" Lark asked.

"Bonne," she girl replied.

"Have you worked as a maid?"

"No, ma'am."

"Do you have any siblings?"

"I am the eldest of five ma'am."

"What is your favorite thing to learn?"

"E-excuse me?"

"Do you have a preferred interest or subject that you like to learn about?"

Bonne seemed confused as if she had never been asked about her own preferences. Her face crumpled as she struggled to come up with a reply. Lark could sympathize with her. She had not had a real opportunity to educate herself until she had arrived at the castle. She had chosen this question specifically for its difficulty.

"I enjoy drawing," Bonne finally replied.

"Is that what you would study if you could study anything?"

"Yes ma'am."

"What do you like to draw?"

"Things from my imagination, ma'am."

Lark nodded approvingly and dismissed her after asking that she stand by for a final interview. She called in the rest of the girls. There were female humans of every type. Most were young but some were much older than Lark herself. She was tempted by the thought of a mother-like figure but her second set of questioning was afforded to a small group of younger girls. Bonne was an artist, Callon was a musician, Sara studied wild plants and medicines, and Mari was fascinated by animals. It was a difficult choice to make. Lark called all four women into the private room to conduct their final interview.

"Please respond in order," Lark instructed. They nodded. "Would you allow yourself to be swayed by money or power? Could you be convinced to betray me?"

The four girls looked uncomfortable at the direct and intense question. Bonne spoke first.

"No, ma'am. I would always be loyal to you." She bit her lip nervously and avoided eye contact.

Callon was next. "Of course not! I would never betray my mistress." She seemed more confident than Bonne but her eyes betrayed her own lack of courage.

Sara took a moment to reply. Her expression was conflicted. "I don't care about money and power. I would be loyal to any mistress who deserves my respect. I would do my best."

Mari shook her head aggressively. "I'm loyal ma'am I would never tell anyone anything!" Her enthusiasm seemed strange.

But Lark had made her decision before Mari had even spoken. Sara was the only honest woman among them. All could be convinced to betray her. Only Sara had delivered an eloquent response. She whispered her choice to Bernard and he approved with a nod.

Lark dismissed the other three women and faced Sara directly.

"If you choose to accept this position you must understand that visits to the village will be seldom. The castle is a fortress. We rarely leave." She faltered, remembering her own attempted escape. But Sara nodded resolutely.

"I understand, ma'am. I don't have many connections here. My parents are...well they are missing ma'am. Presumed dead." Her face clouded. Lark rested a hand on her shoulder comforting.

"I am sorry. I hope I can provide you with some distraction. I would like to extend you an official offer to be my handmaid. Do you need time to prepare? I will provide you with a contract to sign when we arrive at the castle."

Sara seemed relieved but thinking of her parents had clearly drained her. She managed a small smile.

"I can leave at once. I have a bag with me." She went to collect the bag she had left with the innkeeper. It was stuffed with the entirety of her worldly possessions which were very few. Lark was relieved that she could deliver Sara from what seemed to be a lonely and impoverished existence. Perhaps they would have more in common than she expected. She wondered if she could employ August's help in locating her parents. Or at least their remains. She and Bernard led Sara out of the building. Some curious villagers had formed a loose group outside and they watched intently while Lark mounted her horse and Bernard lifted Sara behind her along with her bag. Then he gracefully leaped into his own saddle and the trio took off into the forest towards the castle. Many pairs of anxious, jealous, and curious eyes watched them disappear into the trees.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.3K 5.1K 50
| COMPLETED | ~ | Chapters are being Edited | #Wattys2020 ~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~~•~~•~•~~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~• He was a soldier, running towar...
52.3M 2.1M 88
The world had gone to hell long ago, taken over by the vampire race. In order to keep some sort of peace in our land, the Vampire Lords made a consec...
61.2K 1.9K 83
{A SAPPHIC VAMPIRE TALE- COMPLETE} 18+ (this story can be read as a stand-alone if you wish)❗️ This is heartbreak, this is betrayal. When Marine, a...
3K 131 23
I look as she yells at my beta for making her friend mad, and I can't help but think about her. She is always going to be my world, no matter what. W...