Eleven Years

Per GwynSadji03

Sadie Wynn, 19, whose life stumbled from Nebraska to Philadelphia with the word 'failure' attached in her ski... Més

CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
ELEVEN YEARS

CHAPTER 1

8 0 0
Per GwynSadji03

SADIE

"YOU didn't touch the cake", I heard my aunt standing in front of me. Her eyes were red but I acted like nothing was going on.

"I bought that one for you", she added. I looked at her and held her hand. She was about to cry again but I stopped her.

"It's okay aunt", I said, "thank you so much"

She smiled at me, but there was pain in her eyes I could see. She let go of my hand and headed to the living room but she gave me one more hug, as far I was concerned...my thoughts kept with her.

Earlier this evening, my aunt, her name was Molly, thirty-five, she had a fight with her husband...the most arrogant person I had ever known, his name was Daniel. An overweening individual who didn't care about his family but only with his so-called little fortune. I couldn't look at him even a greet would be a stubborn for me to do. Their fight wasn't rare for me anymore, but sometimes I wondered if there was any way I could stop it. They didn't have kids, maybe that was one of the reasons why Daniel hated my aunt so bad. I told my aunt to divorce him but she said "he's the only one I have"... I took a deep breath and couldn't realize what she really meant by that.

I looked through the gifts on the floor. A tiny red box from one of my old classmates, a letter from the librarian with a romance novel book and some random postcards from the antique shop downtown. I imagined some stuffs, brand new sandals, jewelry, flowers, confetti and champagne. I went back to reality and opened the tiny red box...it was a necklace, a handmade which something I liked.

I wanted to grab the cake on the table but I assumed that Daniel was outside, watching the television. I went to the window instead. I watched the stars in the night sky and the wonderful city outside.
I sang with my weakest and lowest voice.

"Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday to me
Happy birthday dear Sadie...
Happy birthday to me ..."

I expected for my tears to run, I expected for the pain to feel but I never dreamed of this... celebrating the exact date which supposed to be the special day of an individual. If only my mom and dad was here, maybe this day would be exciting.

I went to bed and wiped my tears.

"Happy 19th birthday self", I whispered to the air.

*

There was an empty pan on the table. I looked inside the fridge...still there wasn't anything to eat. I pressed my lips and began to eat the biscuits near the kettle.

"I had to go to the next town for some meetings maybe two days or more, tell your aunt about it"

Daniel was about to close the door but I spoke for a second.
"Call her, you should be the one to do that"
"Sadie, you're a pain in the ass in this house. Just tell her...tell Molly that I'll be back in two days"
I was there standing... watching Daniel closed the door with his suitcase. What an imperious man, I thought.

A bright sunny day, there was no excuse for me not to enjoy this day. The city of Philadelphia looked amazing...I didn't know what to say anymore but this was just a city of revolutionary history. No wonder why there were so much emotions for me while being here. I wore a simple shirt and a fitted blue-jeans… hoping this outfit would bring me a better luck.

There were just a few bucks left on my wallet. Been looking for a job since the morning but hadn't find any. A job in a cafe or restaurant would be fine for me, good enough to earn some money for my college next year. Oh, here I was again, talking about college, like everything would go so smooth. Oh God ... If I were in college, maybe I wouldn't be searching for a stupid job this time.

I passed this gorgeous street in the city. Kind of secluded but not really. Flowers and plants were everywhere.  There was this "Dale Cafe", I went inside. I ordered a regular iced coffee, well my main reason was to ask this woman if there was any position, you know...a position for any jobs I was looking for.

"Good day, I love the iced coffee", I said, the woman in the counter beamed at me. I took a deep breath and spoke a word.

"Are there any available jobs here? Like I love the street, I love the atmosphere here...maybe I could wash the dishes - "

"You wanna work here?"

"If that's possible"

The woman looked at me twice, she seemed like in her middle-age, she took off her apron and got out the counter. Now she was facing me.

"Good day to you. I would love to have you here, honestly we're looking for a waitress for months now...did you have any experience?"

I shook my head from left to right, and she just nodded.

"You have an aura that I like, how old are you by the way?"

"Oh I'm... nineteen, I just turned nineteen"

"Perfect", she said.

"I believe this would be a good opportunity, who's the owner here?", I asked.

"It's me! I'm Morgan Dover, the owner and the manager, it's nice to meet you"

I was surprised, I didn't know that I was talking to the owner. She had a blonde hair, a pale-blue eyes, her wrinkles were not so visible and she had a smile that made everything go so well. 

"I'm Sadie Wynn, nice to meet you too"

*

A week passed and my job at Dale Cafe went really great. The wages were good and the rest of the staffs were so friendly. There were only three people during the weekdays but sometimes four. I thought I would make a lot of friends at work but I didn’t…I was the only teenager there and the rest were on their thirties. I had a rest day at Saturday and Sunday but if Miss Morgan would ask me to work with the said rest days then more bucks would be added to my pocket. Life was good not until I went back to my aunt's house...where everything seemed so unwell.

"Bullshit Molly!!"

I heard Daniel screamed, different pictures were flashing through my mind. I kept myself warm and just listened to some pop songs.

"Fuck", I muttered. I put down my earphones and took a deep breath. Daniel's voice was so loud, I could hear it no matter how I didn't want to.

"You bitch!! You're a bitch Molly!"

I heard a vase that was broken. I opened my bedroom's door a little.  Daniel groaned and my aunt was just silent. I didn't know what they were arguing for, but with those glass shattered on the floor...I guessed it was something bad. I closed the door and went back to my bed. A minute later, I saw my aunt standing in front of my closet. She was crying.

"Oh God"

I immediately went to her.

"You can sleep here in my bed aunt"

She touched my face. Her hands were cold but still managed to smile.

"It was my fault. I brought her past wife again… it was my mistake"
I was shock with her words. Her fault? I never wanted to call her naive but it felt like my aunt was quite naive now.

"She called you bitch - "
"Stop it Sadie"
"He was about to - "
"I said stop it... it's okay now. I can't cry in front of him. I have to go, goodnight"

She wiped her tears and kissed my forehead. I was left speechless. I didn't believe in love anymore after what happened to me and to my parents, and I know that it wasn't love that my aunt was feeling for Daniel...it was masochism. But who am I to judge? Have I been through a lot?

*

A crazy early evening appeared to me. The cafe was filled with different teenagers, I bet some of them were my age. They were laughing, taking pictures, talking about new and trending stuffs.

"Here's your order"
I placed some milkshakes on the table of some pretty girls. I beamed at them. I felt so strange. Sometimes I wonder if I really did enjoy my teenage years, considering that I should enjoy it even more because nineteen would be the last one.

"You keep staring at those young girls"

I heard Miss Morgan spoke and I went back to the counter while faking a smile. It felt so hard, really hard to deal with so much pressure in me. When I was thirteen, I thought teenage life would be fun for me but it turned out....it wasn't

"My special customer would be here soon, call me in the back Sadie if he arrives"

Miss Morgan headed to the kitchen in the back. Special customer? Who the hell would it be?

Minutes passed, there were no customers left and the young girls went out the cafe. It was already 6:30 in the evening. I cleaned their table and noticed that they didn't even finished their milkshakes. Such a waste of money this would be, I thought.

After a second or two, I heard the door opened, the cold air suddenly went through my face. I rubbed my eyes again and again, then there was this man who was walking towards the counter. Tall, dark, gorgeous, had a broad-shoulders, and his turquoise eyes made him even more mysterious. Honestly, it was quite rare for me to be stunned with a turquoise-color eyes. He looked like Nick Bateman but not really.

"Good evening, is Miss Morgan here?"

His voice was deep but charming. I couldn't stop staring at his eyes. I felt like it hypnotized me, damn. Dear Lord, help me.

"I'll call her"

Saying those words made me want to pass out. His eyes were so damn good! I took a deep breath and headed to the kitchen.

I followed Miss Morgan as she hugged the man with turquoise eyes. They were on that position for as long as I could remember. I smiled awkwardly on the counter and took off my apron as the cafe would close in twenty minutes.

"It's good to see you, it's been a long time my dear!"

"I'm happy to be back"
The man beamed at Miss Morgan and went outside, I thought he would completely go but he sat in one of the chairs there. The lights were kind of dark outside but I saw him took off his coat and that made him looked even better in a white shirt.

"Can you do a hot coffee for him Sadie?"

I turned my gaze to Miss Morgan, and nodded. I was trying to make a better hot coffee this time because the last time I made someone their coffee they said it tasted so bitterly odd. By that, I kept on learning.

"He's my special customer", she added. I glanced at the man outside and now I knew...he was the special customer.
It took me an amount of strength to serve the hot coffee for that man. Well, I should be going home but Miss Morgan asked me stay for twenty minutes more. Why not? I mean literally why not? I had nothing better else to do at my aunt's house, only their smashing words would exist and that would be a pain in my ears again.

"Thank you", he said politely but he didn't look at me. He was quite busy with his phone.

"Welcome Sir", I muttered.

I finally took off my apron and tied my hair back. I stretched my arms and ready to look for Miss Morgan to say my goodbye. The whole cafe was empty but except in the outside...where there was a man whose existence was so much interesting for me to find out.

"You better go now Sadie, thank you so much for today", said Miss Morgan, her eyes were wet. She couldn't even look at me, I wondered why.

"Have a goodnight then Miss Morgan". I bothered not to ask her anymore.

I slowly closed the cafe's door. There was something about Miss Morgan earlier which I didn't know what. Maybe my exhaustion for today made me a little paranoid. I should be going home.

The street was in a dim light. Some cats were passing the alley and there were shops that had been closed since the dark arrived. I continued walking until I heard footsteps in my back. Should I turn around? My heart was pounding, I didn't even know why. This street was safe...that was the statement of the people here.

"I ain't gonna hurt you"

I stopped walking.

I stood for a moment with no response, I knew that voice...I heard that one earlier.

"Miss?"

The voice kept coming closer to me until I saw his body one step away from me.

"Hi", I said

"The coffee was great, I liked it"

He smiled and I could see his face in the dim light. Holy gorgeous... I beamed too but I remained calm as ever.

"How long are you working for Miss Morgan?"

"Almost gonna be three weeks"

He nodded, putting his hand on the pockets of his pants. "It's good to be back here in Philly, are you new here or you've been here since you were born?"

His question was interesting. I took a deep breath and answered him...by that, we started walking. The final streetlight was far away but not too much though, good enough to answer his question and continue the conversation.

"I'm quite new here, basically I am from Nebraska in the rural part of there. I live in my aunt's house now, good enough for me to continue my life"

I heard him sighed and he spoke.

"Can you tell me more? I hope you don't mind… it's just it feels so good talking to someone again right here in Philly"

I felt a strong connection towards him that it made me explain such important parts of my chaotic life.

"My parents hated me, should I say the parents who adopted me, they let me stay here in Philadelphia for good. My aunt Molly is my biological mother's sister and that's why I am here. My mom and dad who adopted me...they hated me in a way that I accepted... because I...I failed in such academic things and maybe they dreamed too much that their adopted daughter would be in an incredible university with proud and honor and knowledge. But I...I didn't...I failed the entrance exam. I failed just once then by that they considered me as a failure"

Oh God, I’m talking to him, I’m talking about my life with this man. I looked at him, his gaze was so far away. I wondered if he was listening to me or not, but I continued talking. It's been a long time since I hadn't talk to a person about my life.

"I never met my biological parents. My aunt said that they died a long time ago. I didn't have any hard feelings towards them but you know what...if they really love me or even care about me then they should've kept me...in their arms by their side. My parents who adopted me, I couldn't talk to them anymore...they disowned me - "

I stopped for a while and managed not to burst out.

"Continue", he said silently. By that, I was pleasantly happy as he really kept listening to me.

"Yeah...they disowned me. That broke me tremendously, I just didn't know why they had to do that....but I still adore them, I really adore them. In my opinion, I could try another entrance exam but they didn't let me have another second chance. My aunt can't even send me to college, she's also having a hard time figuring out if her marriage with her husband is well or not, should I say my aunt really loves her husband. By that, I started looking for a job... fortunately I found Miss Morgan's cafe and here I am now...going back to my aunt's house and when I'll get there, I would definitely take a rest"

"You have an interesting life", he muttered

"Interesting?"

"Yeah"

"How about you?", I asked him. He placed his gaze at me. Then he chuckled.

"Soon, if we would meet again. I will tell you about my life"

"Why not now?"

He sighed. He took off his coat and handed it to me. I wasn't feeling cold, literally but I was amazed with his concern.

"You should wear that", he said.

"It's okay, it's not really cold for me"

I thought he was going to keep the coat with his hands but he insisted.

"Take that, a teenager shouldn't be walking with just a piece of shirt like that"

I looked at my shirt, damn, my bra was visible. I laughed a little with embarrassment. But the other word made me wonder, a teenager? How does he know?

"You call me teenager?"

"Yeah, you look like a teenager, am I right?"

I nodded, there was no way to deny it.  I wasn't afraid of telling people that I'm a teenager but it was kind of creepy telling a stranger about my age.

"How old are you?", he asked

"I just turned 19 this month"

He wasn't surprise at all. In my point of view, he looked quite disappointed. Why?

"If today is my birthday, what would be your wish for me?"

I went a little out with his question. I wasn't good at telling a birthday wishes to people or even in myself.

"I wish that - ", I took a deep breath first and continue to talk
"I wish that... you will always find what you're looking for"

There was a deep silence after I said those words. I left speechless with my own doing. "To find what you're looking for"... Why does it sound so different to me? I felt like my heart was breaking into pieces again.

"May I know your name?"

"Sadie...I am Sadie Wynn"

We shook hands together. His hand was a little cold, it was so huge with my bare palm. That was good, meeting and shaking hands with a stranger.

"What's your name?", I asked him

"Jared Boston"

"Nice name", I said while giving him the genuine smile I could possibly make for tonight. I honestly love his name.

"By the way, thank you for that wish. I really hope I get to find what I am really looking for"

"Why'd you ask me for a wish?"

He stopped walking, put his eyes on me and touched my cheek. It looked like I have my big brother by my side. He pinched my cheek all of a sudden.
"It's my birthday today, thank you for being with me for this little moment"

I was completely surprised.

"Your birthday? Today?"

"Yeah"

"Happy.... happy birthday", I said to him. It had been a long time too since I greeted someone with just a simple birthday greeting. I don’t know, but greeting him made my exhaustion fade.

But here were no emotions in his face. Birthdays should be fun and exciting, well I guess not for every people, not for me also, and maybe not for this man named Jared whose standing next to me.

"How old are you now?", I asked.

The final streetlight was just step away. I could see that he was trying to avoid my question but he just faked a smile at me and said:

" 30... "

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

Last Love Per Lauren Bell

Literatura romàntica

2.1K 107 32
Innocent 16-year-old Kate is struggling with self-acceptance and learning to love herself when she meets Nate, a mysterious and seductive older boy s...
54.3K 2.3K 21
She was his first crush, first love, first everything and he was her last and forever. In this short story, Ford Michael Daniels & Lexie Cooper's lov...
Fool. Per Ky

Novel·la juvenil

906 104 28
‼️‼️ I WROTE THIS STORY BEFORE I KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT GRAMMAR OR LIFE BASICALLY SO IF YOU WANT A SHITTY STORY HERE YA GO ‼️‼️ 18 year old Arizona Blac...
729 37 29
hello so this is gonna be first book ima do this year n hopefully you guys will love it! This is going to be abt y/n & Finn when they will be faking...