Wings Of Fire: Spotlight

By Lynx_Writes_Again

Jade Mountain has seen very successful years, and Pyrrhia is at peace. Scavengers and humans are united, and... More

Meet The Characters (WIP Page)
Winglets
The Stagelight Prophecy
Chapter One - Sunrise
Chapter Two - United Tribes
Chapter Three - Overheard
Chapter Four - Poltergeist
Chapter Five - Jigsaw
Chapter Six - Toughen Up
Chapter Seven - Clock Is Ticking
Chapter Eight - Strings
Chapter Nine - Familiar Faces And Forging Friends
Chapter Ten - Alphabet
Chapter Eleven - Finding Your Voice

Prologue - Legacy

24 1 0
By Lynx_Writes_Again

"You are of regal blood."

"Now is not the time for your antics!"

"Stop dancing and study!"

"Less yelling! More training!"

Oh dear moons. Drizzle thought tiredly. Hearing her mother Vaquita roaring at her sister all day usually drained everyone, but unfortunately, it was normal. They had a tradition to follow, since they were related to royalty.

"Were" related to royalty, Drizzle's mind snapped, annoyed. Like we're related now! This was generations ago! And going as far as to naming my younger sister Mako, the one who started this all. CURSE HER! IT'S HER FAULT OUR MOTHER IS SO ROPED ON SUCCESS!

She groaned into her pillow, her claws gouging the sides and letting feathers spill out. She relaxed. Be calm, Drizzle. Mom will find out soon enough that it doesn't matter anymore.

"That what doesn't matter anymore?"

Drizzle craned her neck around to see Mako, her sharky blue-gray scales glistening in the light of the jellyfish tanks.

"The royal blood," she replied flatly. "She needs to understand it ended years back."

Mako giggled and sat on the fluffy dark rug, which was black laced with silvery blue. Drizzle stalked forward and sat in front of her.

"I guess she just wants perfection since daddy died," Mako mumbled, tracing a circle on the carpet with a claw.

That was true. Their father, Otter, had been in a flying accident. He had been trying to fly home fast during a storm, but had been struck down by lightning. And the worst part, it had only happened five years ago, right outside the house. And everyone saw. Even the doctors couldn't save him.

She remembered being only two, crouching over his body, broken and bloodied, charred. His face twisted in pain. She hated seeing her father like that, splashed in scarlet and limp. His eyes had been glazed and his breathing hard and painful, and...

"Are you crying?" Mako asked, snapping Drizzle from her thoughts.

She hadn't noticed, but tears had welled in her eyes. She nodded, distant. "Yeah... It happened when I was two, but I can still never forget..."

Mako stared down at her claws. "I'm sorry... It happened when I was so young, I can barely even remember him. I wish I could share your pain or take it away. I don't like seeing you hurt."

Drizzle sidled next to her sister and put a wing around her, which she felt Mako rest her head on her shoulder.

"Can you tell me more about him?" Mako whispered.

Drizzle nodded. "Well, I remember he always came home, once a week, smelling like monkeys."

Mako laughed hysterically. "Did not!"

Drizzle smirked. "Did too! He traded with RainWings and even brought home a monkey! He named him Yeller and he only lasted a week because he threw poop at us and ran away."

Mako was in tears laughing, and Drizzle could feel herself crack a smile. Drizzle continued.

"Well... and he had a deep voice, like this," Drizzle stood up, but Mako pulled her down and stood up.

Mako spread her wings. "Like this? Hello, I'm Otter and I smell like monkey." The deep voice was accurate enough, and earned a cackle from Drizzle.

"Yes, perfect," Drizzle clapped her talons.

Mako lifted her chin with a dramatic, rich hmmph and proudly strode to sit down.

"Hey!" Drizzle warned mockingly. "No theatrics, young dragoness."

"But mmmooommm-" Mako drooped her wings, pouting, playing along. "I wanna have funnnn-"

"No fun allowed in this house!" Drizzle roared dramatically, throwing her head up and booping Mako's nose with a claw. "Only study! Only training! Only perfection! We are royalty! We must act as such!"

"No we're nottt!" Mako argued mischievously. "That was ages ago! Those dragons are crusty now! Like Grandma Babble!"

"How dare you disrespect Grandma Babble!" Drizzle gasped, putting a hand against her chest, 'offended'. "She wouldn't tolerate this behavior! She would have you locked in the CHOKEY!"

Mako rolled over laughing. "Not the chokey, Ms. Trunchbull!"

That scroll, Matilda, had been one of Mako's favorite scrolls for a long time, of course, introduced to her by yours truly.

"SHE WILL MAKE SURE YOU NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY AGAIN!" Drizzle roared. She began to chase her sister. "COME HERE, YOU!"

The two laughed uproariously, speeding around the room like a dog chasing a tail. Drizzle finally caught up to her and tackled her, the two rolling on the ground, chuckling lovingly.

They didn't hear the door fly open.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!?"

The two froze, rolling away from each other and staring at the doorway. Vaquita loomed over them, sapphire scales seeming to spark like the calm fury in her eyes.

Drizzle blinked. "Mom, I-"

"YOU ARE DISTRACTING MAKO! AND YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE STUDYING!" Vaquita growled, motioning furiously at Mako.

Drizzle lifted her wing to cover Mako, who was behind her now, cowering. "Leave my sister alone, mom."

"She needs to learn how to act respectable!" Vaquita was stalking closer.

"Go away mother!" Drizzle shouted. "We Don't want to be part of this! The "royalty" you're so obsessed with is gone! Those dragons died years ago! So back off!"

"Watch your tone, young dragoness."

"No!" Drizzle yelled impulsively. "You're just mad that you'll never be queen, so now you're forcing us into a destiny we don't have!"

Vaquita slashed Drizzle's face, slicing through scales and skin. Blood was mildly dripping from Drizzle's face now.

Vaquita stared down at her claws, flashes of regret in her eyes. "No... I'm becoming Babble..." She looked up and glared. "Go to sleep. Both of you." With that, she strode away.

Mako's eyes were clouded with regret. "Drizzle! Are you okay? I'm so sorry! If you hadn't had to protect me-"

Drizzle twisted to look down at Mako. "Don't be sorry, sis. I would protect you no matter what, it's not your fault. Really it's mine, I'm reckless." Drizzle scratched her neck, forcing a smile. She stepped over to a dresser and dug through, finding a cloth, and pressing it to her face to slow the slow the crimson ooze dripping through her emerald green scales.

It was nearly 20 minutes later and the bleeding had stopped. Drizzle slid into her bed, Mako pressed against her side. They curled up, wings wrapped in a sleepy hug.

Drizzle's mind filled with love, and she gazed up at the jellyfish tanks ahead. Moonlight white and neon blue danced together against black water, their tentacles waving like ivy tendrils. They seemed like glowing ribbon dancers.

Speaking of dancers.

Drizzle glanced down at her sister, who was asleep, cuddling against her side. She was softly snoring, her chest rising and falling.

It won't stay like that for long... Drizzle thought; Mako usually woke her up with her deafening snores.

She wished her sister could have the life she wanted. Where she could sing, dance, and make friends. But none of that was socially acceptable, and could never happen as long as their mother could help it.

Wait... Drizzle realized. There is one place she can.

But there's only one open SeaWing slot in Jade Mountain. She would have to make a decision. Drizzle glanced down at her sister, who shifted slightly. Could I ever leave her?

But she knew that Mako would be happier there. She knew Vaquita would accept her daughter going to Jade Mountain because it was the best school known to dragonkind. And she knew Mako would be safe. And so would Drizzle. I can handle any hardships mother throws at me.

So, with that being said, she slid out of bed. She sat at her desk with paper and a quill, and, taking one last glance at Mako, began to write, the words illuminated solely by the light of jellyfish:

Dear Jade Mountain Founders,

Hello, this is Drizzle the SeaWing. I'm writing to you about my younger sister, Mako. I would like to enroll her in your academy. I believe she would excel and have an amazing time, and I truly believe she would make a great addition to your academy. Please, consider this letter.

Sincerely, Drizzle

She slammed her quill down and gazed upon her letter as if it were a masterpiece. With a soft smile, she rolled the scroll and tied it in a bow. Well, if they accept this letter, welcome to Jade Mountain Academy, Mako.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

49.8K 1.3K 45
This book will be rewritten soon! ------------------------ Adventure, that was what Robin loved most. She loved the thrill of exploring someplace new...
8.6K 514 33
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ Recent events have cancelled this old, old story. However! The synopsis for the rest of the chapters I had planned for the se...
3.9K 24 22
(Based on Wings of fire) Moon, Winter, Qibli, Turtle, and Kinkajou go to Pyrrhia High. They have multiple dramas such as love triangles, bullies, and...
5.7K 82 20
《Murderous Tsunami AU》 ~~Tsunami finally has the crown she deserves~~ Tsunami loves her friends, even though they always yammer on about the dragons...