Chapter Six - Toughen Up

Mako held her tail tip in her claws, fiddling with it in anticipation. Her scales shimmered in the fresh noon light, like a stone that had swallowed a storm. The founders of the school stood on the stage in the Meeting Cave, wings spread. Mako's eyes studied each one closely.

Clay, a burnt orange and chocolate MudWing that looked slightly rusted, was limping slightly when he shifted his weight. His nutmeg eyes glittered with subtle worry.

Tsunami was regally standing, her chin held high and spines arched upward. The SeaWing's sapphire scales shone with dignity as her green eyes studied the crowd.

Starflight was fidgeting with a pebble, sitting with his tail twitching. He was next to another NightWing, Fatespeaker, who looked soaked in twilight. Her talons sparkled, and it took a second glance to realize that it was scales and not a bracelet. Starflight mumbled anxiously, but Fatespeaker looked cheerful.

Sunny, a SandWing-NightWing hybrid,, was practically glowing with pride and excitement. Her tawny gold scales and green eyes reflected off the young sunlight outside. She seemed warm with hope.

"Students of Jade Mountain Academy!" Tsunami roared, voice booming with a commanding tone. "We have troubling news for you today..."

Dragons erupted with questions, anticipating the topic. Mako could hear the name 'Stonemover' being tossed around the room like a game of hot potato.

"This has nothing to do with the incidents from last night," Fatespeaker reassured, glancing over at Sunny, who's energy fell grim like the sunset. "However, we are looking into that and will have information soon."

Dragons silenced, the tension growing thicker, as if it were smoky saltwater.

"We have brought you here because..." Starflight glanced at the others, who gave a subtle nod. He seemed to have sensed, if not seen their approval, as he went on, "Jade Mountain is going bankrupt."

Surprised bubbled and erupted in the crowd, blasting like a volcano. Anxiety rose in the room, and everyone seemed to be holding in a breath.

"However, we may have a solution." Clay went on as the roars died down. "And it lies with you."

The crowd started to buzz to life again, and Tsunami lashed her tail. "Everyone shut up!"

"Tsunami, calm down," Clay comforted the SeaWing princess.

Tsunami let out a breath. "Sorry everyone. But you need to pay attention. We are putting on a musical. Anyone can audition, but just know that this play is our school's future. Auditions begin at 9:00 and may end as late as 10:30. All who participate will be excused for being out late and will be pardoned for accidentally falling asleep in class."

"Dragons are sooo going to take advantage of that," Ivy whispered, nearly scaring Mako out of her scales. She hadn't even noticed Ivy was there.

"For real." Mako giggled, turning to pay attention again.

"Anyone who wants to audition, report to the theater room immediately to sign up." Tsunami folded in her wings. "If you end up late to class because of a long line, you will be excused with a tardy slip."

"Any questions?" Clay called.

The crowd remained silent, and Clay nodded to Fatespeaker, who spoke next. "You are all dismissed."

Dragons thundered out of the room, desperate to get back to class.

Or desperate to get to the front of the line.

Mako glided across the ground, weaving through tunnels until she barely recognized where she was anymore. The only reason she knew she was going to the right way were the dragons eager talonsteps and there backs, their spines arched with anticipation.

Wings Of Fire: Spotlightजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें