Before It's Too Late

By EastCoastPinay

Avery trusted her heart to a man who promised her forever. When he betrays her trust, should she stay and reb... More

WARNING
AUTHOR's NOTE
BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
DEDICATION
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
EPILOGUE
ENLIGHTENMENT||BONUS CHAPTERS
CHANGING THE NARRATIVE
TURNING THE PAGE
TRUE LOVE IS NEVER LATE
SHELLY & ART

HEALING AND LETTING GO

5.1K 179 21
By EastCoastPinay

"CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE A baby girl!" 

Doctor Stella's voice echoed in the room. Tears and a big smile plastered Avery's face. For her, it was a hundred percent ultimate friendship experience. However, seeing tears and smiles on Shelly and Art's faces was beyond. After Art cut the cord, loud clapping and endless words of congratulations surrounded the new parents.

Avery couldn't contain her heart's happiness. Witnessing such a significant milestone in her best friend's life was a surreal occasion. She was sure Shelly would be hands-on and a caring mother as she cared for Ella and Thomas. Art's presence and care make a perfect team as loving parents to their newborn daughter.

"Happy tears?" Ethan's whisper in Avery's ear caused her body to shiver. They've been together for almost four years, and everything about her husband excited her the way it did since they first met in the park.

Ethan's arms slowly wrapped around her waist from behind. Avery felt a kiss in her hair. She couldn't help it. One hand softly traced his jaw while the other clasped his hand around her waist. "She's beautiful! The baby's got Shelly's eyes and Art's lips. I'm so happy for my best friend!"

"She sure is beautiful. We all are happy for both of them!" Ethan placed small kisses between her ear and cheek. "I can feel the joy radiating through your body. Maybe tonight we can try for a baby too? Look how beautiful Ella and Thomas are. We surely can make another gorgeous one!"

Avery giggled. "Ethan, you're tickling me!" she whispered.

***

A few days after the hospital released Shelly and the baby, all four were doing final touches in the baby's room. Ethan was helping Art in putting up the crib. Avery put the decorations she bought for her goddaughter while Shelly relaxed the baby in a rocking chair. It had been six months since the couple moved to Florida and purchased the house next to Ethan's. When Shelly looked around and locked eyes with Avery, they both smiled. Other friendship goals checked off their list were living beside each other and nurturing their friendship with their families. As the four of them exchanged banters, an almost-four-year-old Thomas came running with Ella holding on to him.

"Papa is here! He has pink balloons for my girlfriend!" Thomas' words earned chuckles from the men and surprised stares from the women in the room.

"About time, dude!" Art yelled at David, who entered the room with the balloons and flowers. 

"So sorry I couldn't catch a flight a few days earlier." David hugged Avery as he handed her the flowers and balloons. When Shelly reached, he kissed her forehead and caressed the baby's hair.

"Thanks for coming!" Shelly mouthed.

David scooped Thomas in his arm and walked toward the guys fixing the crib. 

"I thought you won't need any help with small stuff like this, Engineer Art!"

Art rolled his eyes at David. "Screw you, dude! I don't know why I agreed to buy this complicated piece of shi---"

"Art!" Shelly's voice halted her husband from finishing his statement. "The kids are here!" she added.

Ethan and David laughed, seeing Art's pale face as he gestured a sorry to his wife.

"Is that a pink bed for my girlfriend?" Thomas asked.

All three men eyed each other, speechless at the boy's question. Shelly pointed Avery toward the little boy, hinting at her best friend to say something.

Avery shook her head and looked in her son's direction. "Thomas, who said something about a girlfriend? Where did you hear about girlfriends? You're too young for that."

The little boy wriggled for David to put him down. "I told myself! Like in the toy story." He moved toward Shelly. He put his pointer finger on the baby's palm. A smile formed on his lips when the baby clamped it inside her tiny hand. "See! She's my girlfriend, and I'm her boyfriend."

Art snickered. He stood up and passed the screw to David. "Dude, you better work on my blessing now. I leave this crib in your and Ethan's hands. Both of you better build this crib." He made a thumbs-up sign on the little boy. "Right, Thomas?"

Thomas nodded and also gave a thumbs-up sign back. "I'm going to marry her when she turns twenty!"

Shelly and Ella laughed. Avery waved her hands toward the little boy. "Shush right there, lover boy! You haven't started school and are already considering marrying."

"Thomas got moves, huh!" Art exclaimed. "It astounds me that he talks straight like an adult at his age. I know the heart and the smartness he got from Avery and Ethan. But, I'm curious where he got those sloppy lover boy tricks!" He pointed the finger at David, which earned laughter from everyone and an F sign from David.

***

"That was an exceptional dinner, Ave! Thanks to your cooking skills and Ethan's handsomeness!" Art exclaimed while rubbing his stomach. Avery smirked as Ethan bowed proudly.

After enjoying their dinner, they agreed to have dessert and tea at the boathouse. Avery looked around. Shelly was fascinated as she watched what was happening in their house over the baby monitor. It showed Ella sitting on the rocking chair with the baby in her arms while the nanny assisted her. On the floor, Thomas was playing with his Legos.

Avery looked over the men when she heard them discussing the improvements and additions Art wanted for their new house. When she looked back to Shelly, they locked eyes as she pouted her mouth toward the guys. Finally, they nodded silently, agreeing they'd all come a long way.

Shelly being Shelly, she beamed and shifted on the seat beside Avery. "Who would have thought?" she murmured.

"I know." Avery gently grabbed her best friend's hand.

"I guess the saying was true. When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow. Look at us now!" Shelly snickered.

Avery nodded. "Yeah. I guess it's right."

"Doesn't it feel like we're able to heal from all the misery of the past because the damage it inflicted felt like it never existed?" Shelly asked.

Avery closed her eyes for a few seconds. When she opened them, she glanced at David. Quickly, her visions shifted toward Ethan. She gazed at her husband with profound gratitude and love. 

"No Shells. I think healing doesn't mean the damage never existed. We're healed because the damage no longer controls our lives."

Shelly nodded and looked at the baby monitor again. When she saw Thomas peppering her newborn with kisses, she placed the monitor in front of Avery. Her best friend's eyes widened, knowing what her son was doing could irritate the calm baby. Unable to contain whatever she wanted, she turned on the monitor's speaker. 

"What are you doing, Thomas? You might make her cry with all those kisses!"

Thomas paused. He placed his arms over his chest, sighed, and answered aloud. "I'm just marking my territory!" 

Avery remembered the little boy's statement when he saw Ethan placing soft kisses on her eyes, nose, cheeks, and lips. When Thomas asked what his dad was doing to her mom, Ethan gave the same reasoning as a joke.

The men in the room were all eyes on the monitor with shocked faces. Avery's face paled. Shelly broke the silence. "Um... We may have a problem with my favorite godson. I mean... I love him to death, but I think him getting Ethan's possessiveness and David's man whore moves..." She shook her head multiple times. "It doesn't seem like an excellent combination."

"And my daughter is not a territory! You little..." Art paused, seeing the adults in the room scowling at him. "You little godson of mine!" He said instead.

"What's wrong with Thomas ending with your daughter?" David yelled back at Art, laughing.

"Yeah! Thomas is a good catch!" Ethan added in chuckles.

Avery tapped her forehead in frustration. "You guys, this isn't funny! The boy needs to have a father-son talk, don't you think?" She glared at both Ethan and David.

"Well, I wouldn't mind them ending up together. Just thinking about the inheritance Thomas will get from a lawyer father and a doctor dad... It wouldn't be bad at all!" Shelly was laughing as she made a peace sign to Avery.

"Shells!" Avery squealed in exasperation.

***

* When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow. - Anonymous

* Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed. It means the damage no longer controls our life. - Shahrukh Khan

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.1K 823 47
"Am I going to break you, Case? Or are you bamboo?" The days are dry and hot, school is out, and all 17-year-old Case wants to do is party hard with...
156K 6.7K 46
What happens when a well-known drug dealer, who's never been told 'No', moves into a quiet suburb outside of Chicago, Illinois? What happens when a 2...
32.8K 2K 39
Two personalities from different worlds. Can the troubled pasts that brought them to the same place bring them LOVE? Can love endure their troubled p...
432K 15.2K 25
Blossom and Bloom Graceful and Tender - She couldn't believe her ears, or her eyes. Her husband, the man she loves, the father of her unborn baby, wa...