Prisoner

بواسطة rotXinXpieces

[27] Revenge is the only thing keeping Four alive. Things like family and love aren't even on the table. Scre... المزيد

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five

Chapter Three

14.2K 1K 1.1K
بواسطة rotXinXpieces

Chapter Three

"We need Joxeia," Hades said immediately. Lucifer nodded and scrambled to get his phone out. I watched him, watched all of them as I held myself back against the wall, breathing hard as panic started to consume me.

I couldn't escape. There was no exit. I couldn't get past any of these people. And they were calling someone else to deal with me? Panicked, I looked around the room frantically for somewhere to escape, but there wasn't even an air vent in the room that I could see. I looked over at the guy named Cerberus again, who was still standing in front of the door. He was a huge guy. He probably couldn't move too fast. He'd stumble if I ducked down low.

Deciding that was the plan, I went running at Cerberus, who looked surprised and went to grab me, but I ducked low and slid across the floor between his legs and slammed into the front door, which I reached up and threw open.

"Shit! Cerberus, grab him!" Lucifer's shout rang out. I ducked as Cerberus lunged for me again and I rolled outside into the sunlight, briefly blinded by how bright it was before I scrambled down the front steps and started running into what looked like a forest with ridiculously huge trees that towered high into the sky, even above the clouds. I ignored the rocks and twigs cutting into my feet and bolted into the trees, trees that were bigger around than a fucking building. I ran as fast as I could, breathing hard as my arms pumped at my sides. My legs were starting to feel like mush, though, so I couldn't go on forever. I needed to find a place to hide.

So I ducked to the side and ran off in another direction, looking for a place to hide. I looked around, but the bushes didn't provide much cover. I looked up at the trees, but there was no fucking way I'd be able to hide in those. I couldn't reach any of the branches, which were bigger around than I was, not that that was much of a feat anyway.

I finally found a tree that looked like it had been hollowed out at the bottom by something. Sure enough, I ran up to it and there was some kind of huge rodent inside, which screamed at the sight of me and took off into the woods. I ducked down and crammed myself into the tiny space, drawing my knees to my chest and wrapping my arms around them. I reached out after a second, grabbing some leaves and piling them up outside the little hole to provide some coverage.

I held my breath for a moment, listening to the sounds of the forest outside. I could hear birds twittering and chattering above in the trees, the rodent I'd scared away was still on the run.

I waited and listened for it, and sure enough after a few minutes, I heard someone crunching through the woods. I reached up and covered my mouth with both hands to hide my panting breath. I heard two sets of footsteps now.

"Jesus, he runs fast," a male voice said, "He took off like a bat out of hell."

"I would too if I woke up in a scary place alone," another male voice said dryly, "He's obviously terrified and I don't think we're helping."

"We're trying to," a third male voice said, "He's just not letting us."

"Trauma will do that to a person," a female voice said, "You of all people would know that."

"I think we'd all understand that a little bit," one of the males said.

"Raven probably understands him more than any of us," another male murmured, "If what Hadrian said is true anyway, and judging by the kid's reaction, yeah. It's true."

"Shit," another male cursed, "When I get my hands on the asshole that did that to him, I'm going to rip his innards out."

"Ditto."

Their voices got closer and closer to where I was hiding. I didn't move, didn't breathe, just watched as a pair of huge boots came to stand in front of the hole I was in.

"Goddamn it, I don't see him anywhere. The trail stops here," someone's voice said.

"Wait, it stops here?" Another voice asked. I watched in horror as the pair of boots in front of my hiding place turned to face me. I didn't hear any speaking or anything afterwards, and I knew they'd found me. I could tell by the tension in the air. I tried to cram myself further into the hole, but there was just nowhere else to go. I watched in agony as someone bent down and started to claw the leaves away from my hiding place.

"Gods, there you are," a male said, peering in at me. He was one of the ones from the room. He had thick red hair that fell in waves around his shoulders, his matching eyes watching me closely.

"Get away from me," I warned. The male inclined his head and actually sat back on his hunches.

"Yeah, no, that's not happening," he answered, then surprised me as he sat down in the dirt in front of the whole, "I'm gonna wait here until you're ready to go back." I stiffened, then peered out to see three other people; two males and a female. They were all muscular and pumped, could lift me without lifting a pinky finger. It was infuriating. In the past, I could've taken them all on and won.

"Don't worry about them," the redhead said, "They're just here to make sure you don't get hurt."

"Leave me alone," I hissed, "Just fucking go away."

"Mmm, no, I'm not gonna do that. At least, not until you're ready to come back anyway."

I closed my eyes tightly and wrapped my arms around my knees, keeping as far away from the redhead as possible, but I was starting to feel this heaviness in my bones. Gods fucking damn it, was it hopelessness? It felt like it. It felt like a sinking sensation that started in my chest and slid down into my gut. It was like even my body realized that fighting was useless. I could run as fast as I could, but where the fuck was I going to go? I had no idea where I was at, no idea how to get back. I couldn't even concentrate long enough to teleport. My brain was just a mass of questions.

Who the fuck were these people? Why were they so intent on getting me back? Why were they experimenting on me? That's what the machines had to be for, right? They were running experiments on me. That's why they wanted me, that had to be it. Why else would they be so desperate to get me back? But why were they experimenting on me? What was so special about me?

"It's kinda cold out here," Redhead said, making me blink and look up at him curiously, "You'll probably want a jacket." He slid his black leather jacket off and held it out to me. I just stared at it, then at him. He shrugged and set it on the ground and pushed it towards me, but I wasn't about to touch that thing. I had no idea what he'd done to it. It was probably enchanted or some shit.

"So your name's Four?" He asked. I glared at him.

"Why do people keep fucking asking me that?"

"Because it's a weird fucking name," Redhead exclaimed, "It's just a number. What about like... Evander? Or Arsen. Oh no, I got it. Hector." I stared at him, confused. What the fuck did I look like? A kitten in a trash can? I didn't need a new name.

"Do I look like a pet to you? Is that what you people fucking want me for?" I sneered. Redhead frowned.

"I already got four cats. I don't need another one. Besides, you're kind of a pain in the ass. I don't think I could deal with that on a daily basis," he added, making me curl my lips. I bared my fangs.

"Then get the fuck away from me! Leave me alone! What the fuck don't you people get about leaving me alone?" I snarled.

"Because you're not alone," Redhead said, "You have family."

"I don't even know what that word means. If I didn't need it before, I don't need it now."

"Everyone does."

"I did just fine without it."

"Really? You'd say you're doing fine right now?"

"Fuck you, asshole."

"Not into incest, sorry," Redhead said, making me scowl.

"Incest?" I asked. He shrugged and scooted a little closer, making me tense.

"Well, Cain and Abel are into it, but the rest of us are already preoccupied. My boyfriend's name is Adonis. And yes, the Adonis, and no, you can't touch him. Private property," he added, confusing me further. Cain and Abel? I recognized those names. Adonis? Fuck yeah. We studied them in class. Still, I had trouble wrapping my head around what the guy was trying to say.

"What are you talking about?" I muttered. Redhead shrugged.

"Guess you won't know until you come out," he said. I narrowed my eyes.

"You're going to stick me with a needle and tie me to the bed again. Fuck you."

"Okay," Redhead said, "How about we make a deal? We won't stick you with needles or even tie you to the bed anymore, but you can't run away from us." I glared at him.

"Fuck no. I don't know what experiments you're doing, but I'm not into it, thanks, bye," I said. Redhead scowled.

"Experimenting? What the fuck makes you think we're experimenting on you?"

"The machines," I snapped, "I'm not stupid. The machines, the needles, the tests. I've had that shit go down before. I know exactly what it is." Redhead studied me for a moment, then shook his head slowly.

"We're trying to heal you, not experiment on you," he said, making me curl my lip at what was clearly a lie.

"Oh yeah, I'll bet you wanna heal me all up, make me all better, and hand me right over to mommy and daddy to live happily ever after."

"Actually, I'm gonna hand you over to your daddies, but yeah, I mean, close enough."

"Excuse me?"

"You have two fathers," Redhead said, holding up two fingers, "Hades and Lucifer."

I stared at him. My genetic carriers were Hades and Lucifer? Confused, I lowered my arms and peered out at the male curiously.

"How do you fucking know?" I demanded. Redhead looked at me.

"All those tests we did."

"They're my genetic carriers?"

"You mean your parents? Yes, which would make you, good sir, my brother," he said, holding his hand out to me, "Nice to meet you. I'm Theo, Lord of Styx, God of children and pranks. Also known as the coolest son of Hades." I looked at his hand, then at him as I tried to cope with that information. I'd heard of Theo from our studies. He was supposedly a complete psychopath who went around killing indiscriminately. But I was confused, because this guy didn't seem like a warlord or some shit. He looked... well, kind of like a fashion model, so what the fuck? It just didn't line up with what we'd learn and it was giving me a fucking headache.

"I don't have brothers," I said at last, watching Theo lower his hand, "I don't have parents. I want to go home." Theo frowned, lowering his arm.

"Now why the fuck would you want to do that? Last I checked, you were a prisoner there," he added. I opened my mouth to argue, then realized he was right and shut my fucking mouth.

That's right... I woke up chained somewhere, probably the dungeons, by the Mother in the first place. I couldn't remember the details, but I knew I was held prisoner for helping Seven escape. So if I went back now, I'd just be in the same situation all over again.

So where the fuck do I go?

A cold breeze billoweed by and I shrank in on myself to find warmth. Theo pushed the jacket closer, but I refused to take it. I wasn't going to wear that. I had no idea what he'd done to it. Plus, I didn't need his fucking help. I'd been cold before. I didn't give a shit.

"It's kind of cold out here," Theo commented, "Maybe we should go inside."

"Kay, bye," I replied. Theo gave me a deadpan stare.

"I meant both of us."

"I'm fine right here, thanks."

"You don't look fine."

"I'm fucking peachy keen, asshole, now fuck off and leave me alone."

"Yeahhh, that's not gonna happen until you come back inside with me. Until then, I sit."

"Why the fuck are you bothering me," I snarled, "If you're not experimenting on me, and you're not working for the Mother to bring me back, then what the fuck do you want with me?"

"I told you," Theo said impatiently, "I'm your brother. Hades and Lucifer are your parents. We want you to come home so we can finish healing you." I rolled my eyes. He was like a broken record. Everyone was like that around here. No one could just leave me alone. Everyone had to be right up my ass.

To top it off, I now had nowhere to go. I didn't have a home outside the compound, or even a base to go to. I'd never been out of the compound this long. It was usually quick short trips bringing back MIA soldiers. How long had I been out this time? Days? Weeks? Months? Weirdly enough, that gave me a huge sense of anxiety. I could feel it tightening up my chest and prickling up the back of my neck.

I want to go home.

Except I couldn't go home anymore. I had no home.

Another cold breeze went by and I couldn't stop myself from shuddering in response. Theo sighed and put one hand on the tree, leaning in closer.

"Come on, kid, it's getting colder by the minute. At least wear the fucking jacket."

"I don't need shit," I sneered, "Get away from me."

"You're gonna get frostbite again, don't be stupid, come inside," Theo encouraged. I opened my mouth to tell him to fuck off until I noticed something he'd said. I looked down at my hands, but they looked... well, they looked pink, but normal.

"Again?" I asked, looking up. Theo studied me.

"Yeah. Again," he repeated. I stared.

"I... I don't remember what happened to me," I said, making Theo frown, "I don't remember fucking shit. What happened between the time that I ended up at the compound to now? How the fuck did I even get here?" Theo stared at me for the longest time without saying anything and I narrowed my eyes, fully prepared to tell him to fuck off if he wasn't going to give me information.

"I'll tell you what I know if you come inside," Theo said at last. I glared.

"I'm staying here."

"What, for the rest of your life?"

"I'd fucking rather do that than be a prisoner again," I snarled, "I'm so fucking tired of people putting chains on me! I'm not an animal! Just leave me alone, that's all I fucking want, for everyone to just fuck off and leave me alone!"

"It's easier to be alone than to deal with people," he replied, making me frown, "Especially strangers. And I get it, we're strangers to you right now. You don't know us. You don't trust us. That's okay. But you gotta do what's best for you and right now, being out in the cold, starving, is not good for you. Listen, I promise, nobody's gonna chain you up or poke you, one of that shit. Give us a chance to take care of you, to heal you. After that, you are free to do whatever the fuck you want."

"How the fuck am I supposed to believe that?"

I gritted my teeth as another billowing breeze went by and chilled my legs. I felt goosebumps crisping up on my skin and a shudder went through me. I slammed my eyes shut and ducked my head down, trying hard to stay warm on my own, but goddamn it, that cold breeze was biting my toes and turning them pinker.

I couldn't go with him. He had to be talking shit. Heal me and let me go? Who the fuck did that shit? They obviously wanted something from me. Maybe not experiments, but what else could they want me for? What did they know that I didn't?

I paused at that, another cold wind blowing into my niche. I shivered, then peered out at Theo.

"What happened to me?" I asked again. Theo simply stared in silence, pursing his lips up in refusal to speak. I growled.

"Goddamn it, if you just say something, I'll go with you to wherever the fuck, as long as I don't get stabbed with fucking needles or chained up again. I just... Fuck, I gotta know what happened," I seethed, "I can't remember shit. Just a tree, and a cold room. And the food... I couldn't eat the food. It was poisoned or something. And... and bites. I remember the bites." Theo stared at me for the longest time without saying anything and I felt my temper rising again, because goddamn it, why would no one tell me what happened to me? What was so hard about telling me? Was it so fucking god awful that no one wanted to speak about it?

"Torture," Theo said at last, making me blink and look up, "You were tortured... A lot. Like, a lot a lot. For a long time." I stared back at him as I tried to remember something like that. Something, anything about torture, but all I had were bits and pieces to rely on. What Theo said made sense, though. I had disobeyed the Mother. Of course she'd punish me severely for it... But who? Who tortured me? I couldn't remember any faces.

"I don't remember that," I said. Theo inclined his head.

"Sometimes, our brains block things out because it's too much for us to handle," he explained, making me frown, "I'm serious. It's a thing. Trauma blocking, I think they call it. Your brain is trying to protect you from the truth. And to be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't keep digging. It's better you don't know."

"No, it's fucking not," I snapped, "How am I supposed to know who tortured me?"

"Why do you want to know who tortured you?"

"Because I want to fucking rip them a new one," I said impatiently, "I want to rip their innards out and feast on their entrails until there's nothing left."

"Oh, nice," Theo said pleasantly, "You can do that after we heal you. In fact, let us help you. We'll heal you up and help you find the son of a bitch." I narrowed my eyes.

"Why would you do that?"

"Because you're my brother."

"I don't have brothers."

"You do now," Theo said, then turned and gestured to the people behind him, "And some sisters. That there is Bali. Over there is Malachi and Alaric." Bali gave me a little wave and Malachi and Alaric simply watched me closely. I eyed them all, then looked back at Theo, who simply gave me an encouraging smile.

Because you're my brother. So fucking what? What did that even mean? That didn't make him special.

At the same time... they were offering me something I couldn't refuse.

Revenge.

If what they said was true, and they were trying to help me, they could get me to where I needed to be in order to kill whoever the fuck dared to touch me. Because as it stood, I couldn't do shit at the moment. I was too weak, small, and pathetic. I wouldn't stand a fucking chance against a toddler, let alone a well trained soldier of the Mother. On top of that, I had nowhere safe to stay until I found out who'd tortured me. A few soldiers had bases outside the Mother's compounds, but I was only allowed out in brief increments, never allowed to stay in the outside world. Then there was the fact that I had no idea who tortured me in the first place, which was whole other game I needed to play.

I couldn't do that from the inside of a tree.

I gritted my teeth.

But I'd be trusting strangers. Strangers I'd been raised to believe were bloodthirsty monsters. Who were now claiming I was family and they could help. But why? Why were they doing all this just for me? Because I was their brother? Because I was their supposed child? It seemed like horse shit, but Theo was staring at me so seriously... And I couldn't smell a lie on him at all. At the same time, there was a part of me that just wouldn't budge, just couldn't trust them.

What if they turned around and did experiments on me? What if they decided they were going to keep me as a prisoner?

That was a lot of fucking what ifs.

And I didn't have time for it.

I needed to find the asshole who did this to me.

And I was willing to do whatever it took to do that.

I clenched my fists before peering up at Theo.

"You're not going to experiment on me?" I asked. Theo shook his head.

"No. Probably just gonna run more tests to see where we're at with your health, and then we can do what we can to make you better again."

"I'm not going to be a prisoner?"

"No. You can leave whenever you want, just as long as you're strong enough to do so," Theo explained. I looked down at the ground for a moment longer, then closed my eyes.

Please, gods, don't let me regret this.

"Fine."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

BETHANY بواسطة Maddi

العاطفية

36 0 20
There are many questions in the universe. Some are answered within seconds, others take longer. Some are never answered. Some are hard to answer. Som...
1.7K 93 17
Hell is the only thing I can think of when you ask me about my life. Having been tortured and abused since adolescence by not only my father but his...
35.9K 2K 35
Caleb hardly remembers what it is like to be born free. After having lived for two hundred years being thrown from master to master, from home to hom...
5.5K 221 37
Love is different for everyone Humans find love in the simple things, such as afternoon strolls, weddings and sunset kisses Waiting for their other...