Life in Zora's Domain - Part...

By Andremoi_88

For anyone who wishes more about Mipha's and Link's life together, this story is a sequel to "Life in Zora's... More

Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility
Chapter 2 - Astra and Purah
Chapter 3 - Family Agreements
Chapter 4 - Astra Meets Zelda
Chapter 5 - Catching Up and Diving Down
Chapter 6 - Astra and the Master Sword
Chapter 7 - Motivations
Chapter 8 - Astra Visits Zora's Domain
Chapter 9 - The Right Answers
Chapter 10 - Astra's Day at Zora's Domain
Chapter 11 - Relaxing Rain
Chapter 12 - Astra Returns to Kakariko Village
Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?
Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village
Chapter 15 - Anxious Awaiting
Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala
Chapter 17 - A New Life
Chapter 18 - Astra Meets Jerrin
Chapter 20 - Astra meets Kass
Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town
Chapter 22 - Astra Meets Goron Chief Yun
Chapter 23 - Family Changes
Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins
Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares
Chapter 26 - Astra Gets a Scolding
Chapter 27 - Gossip
Chapter 28 - Like Father Like Daughter
Chapter 29 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Chapter 30 - Near and Far
Chapter 31 - Attack on the Yiga Clan
Chapter 32 - Childish Behavior
Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - Washing Away Regrets
Chapter 36 - Revisiting Riju
Chapter 37 - Astra Departs Gerudo Town
Chapter 38 - Coping with Change
Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends
Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta
Chapter 41 - Mipha's Diary Lost Pages
Chapter 42 - Ancient Energy Miracle
Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?
Chapter 44 - Spreading the News
Chapter 45 - Bonding and Memories
Chapter 46 - Moving On
Chapter 47 - Mushroom Memory
Chapter 48 - Small Decisions
Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala
Chapter 50 - Getting Acquainted
Chapter 51 - Memory and Princess Power
Chapter 52 - Bad Choices
Chapter 53 - Combat Training Plans
Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations
Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 56 - Getting Better Acquainted
Chapter 57 - Echolocation
Chapter 58 - Mood Swings
Chapter 59 - Just Desserts
Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra

Chapter 19 - Welcome Home!

348 1 0
By Andremoi_88

Summary: Link's successful transformation to a Zora prompts a surprise party at Zora's Domain.

Link blinked twice and then opened his eyes as he floated in their bedroom slumber pool in the house by Mikau Lake. The orange light streaming through the window meant it must be close to sunset, and so he had slept the entire afternoon. Then Link realized he wasn't breathing and took his first breath of air since falling asleep. It felt different as all the air came in through his mouth now.

Actually, almost everything about himself felt different. His arms felt heavier because of the fins attached to them, and so did his head. His body was completely changed, and he had to remember he was a creature of both water and air now. Moreover, his mind still had to catch up with his body. It was ironic. The Shrine of Resurrection had preserved his body but not his mind. The Shrine of Transformation did the opposite: it maintained his mind, but not his body. Has anyone gone through so many life changes, he thought?

He turned to see Mipha, still fast asleep, floating beside him, and he was glad. She had looked exhausted when they came home and must have desperately needed the rest. From his point of view, he had fallen asleep at the shrine and then woke up as if no time had passed. But Mipha had lived through four months of worry about him, praying that the transformation process would end up a success. All he could do was do his best to make it all up to her!

He could hear voices and laughter coming from the direction of the dining room, and if he closed his eyes and concentrated, he could even make out the voices of Mila, Midon, and Lapha. They were clearer than he remembered hearing voices from such a distance, as if his hearing range was different now as well. Then, suddenly, he felt something touch his forehead, and he turned.

"Hello, sweetheart," said Mipha, as she smiled at him and gently caressed his forehead with the back of her hand. "Did you sleep too?"

"I just woke up," said Link. "And I'm glad you could sleep."

"I finally slept well for the first time in ages. But Mila and Lapha were wonderful, keeping me company every night and helping me get over some nightmares."

They kissed once, then Mipha leaned back to look at him.

"You look very handsome," said Mipha. "I'm going to enjoy getting used to it."

"Thanks and you look even more beautiful," laughed Link. "Do you feel happy now?"

"More than you can imagine! I feel like we're at the start of a wonderful new stage of life together. You?"

"Yes, I'm happy, and I think you're right," said Link.

They kissed once more.

"I bet we're also both hungry," said Mipha. "We both must have slept through lunch."

"You're right. I feel like I haven't eaten in months!"

"Very funny, but just remember what the scientist said: you should only eat soup today. I hear some of our children. Shall we join them?"

They held hands as they climbed out of the slumber pool together and then made their way to the dining room. Everyone at once jumped up and exchanged hugs all around.

"It's good you both slept," said Mila.

"We have some food for you. A Hearty Bass for you, Mom, and soup for you, Dad," said Lapha.

"We looked up one of your old soup recipes from your journal, Dad," said Midon. "I think you'll still like it. It's a Creamy Seafood Soup, and we made it with a Hyrule Bass, some Endura Carrots, Rock Salt and Fresh Milk. So, it should be pretty filling and give you a good burst of energy."

"I remember that recipe," said Link. "I hope you used enough fish."

"Spoken like a true Zora, Dad!" laughed Midon. "I double-checked that we did. Making the soup was a joint family effort - we never made soup before."

Then Mila reached out to Link, and they embraced once again.

"I'm thrilled you did this, Dad, for Mom's sake and yours too," said Mila. "And I realize now you were right."

"I'm glad I did too, but right about what?"

"About ending your journal," said Mila. "You were right all along."

"We're still discussing that?" laughed Link. "I thought we settled all that months ago. So what makes you surface it now?"

"Because today marks the start of an exciting new journey through life for you and Mom," said Mila. "And it deserves to be preserved in a new journal."

Link laughed.

"So, in saying I'm right, you're really saying you're right about the need for me to have a new journal, aren't you?" laughed Link as he gave her a squeeze and kissed her on the cheek.

"You're catching on, Dad," laughed Midon. "My dear sister has a way of always getting what she wants, doesn't she?"

"Let's eat before you two start a fight," laughed Mipha. "I'm starving."

"We all are - we waited for you so we could eat together," said Lapha.

They served Link his soup and Mipha her fish, then they all sat down with their own food.

"Why are you only eating crabs, Midon?" Mipha asked after swallowing a bite of fish.

"The price of losing our race at East Resevoir Lake!" laughed Mila. "And what makes it even funnier is it was his own idea. 'Loser eats crabs for dinner,' he said to me as we began the race."

"I like crabs anyway," said Midon after sticking his tongue out at Mila.

Link took a small sip of soup and choked slightly but then swallowed it successfully.

"Easy does it, dear," said Mipha. "This is your first time eating with your new body."

"You're right. But the soup is delicious! Thank you."

After finishing their meals, Mipha thought a visit to her father and brother was appropriate.

"Come, sweetheart, let's make the rest of the family happy," said Mipha as she took Link's hand. "I know Father will be thrilled."

"Thanks again for the soup," said Link as he rose from the table. "Hopefully, by tomorrow, I can eat normally again."

"Let's hope the lake has enough fish to handle that," teased Mipha. "Let's go!"

After Mipha and Link left, Lapha turned to Mila.

"You're sure everything is ready for the party tomorrow?" asked Lapha.

"Yes, Tila arranged for the music by asking the Cross-Currents to come here and play, and I arranged for the food," said Mila. "Midon must have done something too, but I forget what it was."

"Very funny, Mi," said Midon. "I sent out the secret invitations to the rest of the Domain, remember? Oh, wait - did I forget your invitation?"

"Come on, you two," laughed Lapha. "Sometimes I think I'm the adult in the pool!"

Meanwhile, King Dorephan and Sidon were together in the throne room, and both were happy to see Link finally home.

"So, is this time for good, Link?" said King Dorephan. "I understand this was a deeper, more complete change than before."

"Yes, Father, this time it's for good," said Link. "I want to be the best husband I can be for your wonderful daughter. I love her more than anything."

"I want us both to be happy," said Mipha as she squeezed his hand. "And I know we will."

"I guess you really are even more like a brother now," laughed Sidon. "But seriously, you look great! How do you feel?"

"I'm slowly getting there," said Link. "Some things are coming back to me from before. But it will take some time before I'm fully comfortable."

"Well, don't push yourself, Link," said King Dorephan. "There's nothing pressing that needs your attention, so ease into things."

"I'll definitely help him do that," said Mipha, as she squeezed his hand. "It will be fun! Maybe we could start with a relaxing evening swim together now?"

"Why not?" laughed Link as he let Mipha tug his one hand and waved goodbye with the other.

Meanwhile, Tila, Tara, and Linky had just finished dinner in North Hyrule and were discussing tomorrow's party.

"Are you excited to see the Cross Currents in person, Tara?" asked Tila.

"Yes, it's neat, and I know they're sort of famous," said Tara. "Besides, I don't mind old songs."

"Old songs?" Linky asked.

"Yes, duh! Everyone loves the Octo Rocks now, Dad," said Tara. "Their music really washes over you!"

"Washes over you?" said Linky.

"My friend Marena likes them now too, though she was a Waves fan for a while," laughed Tila. "But the Octo Rocks are a bit too splashy for your grandparents, dear, or even your parents. Their music is more likely to wash us away than wash over us. For the party we want the kind of music we old folks can dance to."

"I understand, Mom," said Tara. "But I had such a great time dancing with Astra at her birthday party. She knew most of the latest dance moves, and it was so much fun! It's a shame she had to leave."

Linky and Tila exchanged a glance.

"Yes, Astra is a remarkable person, and we all miss her very much," said Tila. "But as we told you, Astra has something essential she has to do. I'm sure she would have loved to stay longer to have fun with you if she could."

"Anyway, remember to be nice to Grandfather when you see him tomorrow," said Linky. "He can be sensitive about how people react to him in his new form, and he loves you very much, Tara. It would hurt his feelings if you said you didn't like how he looked now."

"Are you kidding, Dad? From the picture Aunt Mila sent us, he looks better than ever!"

Tila and Linky both laughed.

"I agree," laughed Tila. "But then I'm a Zora too."

"Well, he will certainly feel good if you tell him that, Tara!" laughed Linky.

"Okay, Tara, go finish your homework," said Tila. "And remember, the party tomorrow is a surprise for your grandparents. So don't message them about it."

Tara left, and Tila and Linky smiled at each other.

"I think everything will be fine," said Tila. "Don't worry."

"I guess you're right. I just remember the first time Dad transformed," said Linky. "He had to hide until Mom talked to us and reminded us not to hurt his feelings. Of course, we wouldn't have done that anyway, but I can understand how hard it must have been for him to face those he loved. Anyway, I'm ready for a good time tomorrow. We haven't danced at a party since Astra's birthday."

"Do you remember it was when we danced in the water that we first kissed? You were kind of shy, but I got you over it."

"How can I ever forget, sweetheart?" laughed Linky. "When I looked into your beautiful golden eyes, I felt so warm inside. I just had to kiss you. And I still get that feeling."

"That's good," laughed Tila, and then they kissed.

The following day, events moved quickly. Mila was responsible for keeping Mipha and Link out of the way until everything was set up for the surprise party, and it took some creativity. After a morning swim together with her parents, Mila said she needed to go over the last four months' events with both of them in their house.

"You shouldn't overdo swimming so soon anyway, Dad," said Mila, and Mipha agreed with her.

So, while the three of them worked at home, the party was quietly being set up. Linky and his family arrived with the Cross Currents band in the late afternoon, and the band set up their instruments at Ruto Lake. When all was ready, Mipha's Tab buzzed with a message.

"Oh, it looks like Father needs to see Link and me," said Mipha. "Sorry, Mila."

"That's fine. I'll keep you company on the way there," said Mila, who knew the message was a prearranged ruse.

They started making their way to the plaza, but then there was a burst of applause from everyone gathered there when they drew near.

"Surprise!" everyone shouted. "Welcome home!"

"Welcome home!" said Mila as she accompanied them to the plaza, and they saw everyone standing there and applauding.

"I'm overwhelmed! I don't know what to say," said Link.

"I think we're used to that," laughed Mipha. "But for once, I don't either!"

Tara rushed over to give Link a hug and a kiss.

"You look great, Grandpa! I can't wait to play some water games with you now," said Tara.

"Thanks, sweetheart," said Link as he hugged her back. "I just need a bit of time to get used to this body."

Linky and Tila followed Tara over and exchanged hugs with Mipha and Link as well.

"You look fantastic," said Tila. "And my sister Faray sends her good wishes as well."

Just then, the band began playing some music, and everyone cheered. Then the music paused as the bandleader made an announcement.

"It's been some time since we were last here in your beautiful domain, but you, our wonderful audience, have always made us feel welcome and at home here," said the bandleader. "And now we understand this is a welcome home party. So, welcome home, and let's party!"

And with that, everyone cheered again as they launched into one of their songs.

"I guess we have you to thank for all this?" said Mipha as she spoke with her children.

"We thought it would be nice to celebrate," said Mila. "And grandfather approved of it at once."

Dishes of food had been arranged around the plaza, and everyone helped themselves.

"Who's that other girl, Grandpa?" Tara asked as she looked around at the people gathered there.

Oh, that's Finley, Kodah's and Kayden's daughter," said Link. "Would you like to meet her?"

"Yes, I think it would be fun," said Tara.

"Is it okay?" Link asked Tila and Linky, and they both nodded yes.

Link took Tara's hand and went over to where Finley was standing with her mother Kodah and her father, Kayden.

"Congratulations, Link," said Kodah. "You look quite the Zora!"

"Thanks, Kodah, and hello, Kayden," said Link. "I'm still getting used to it. But my granddaughter, Tara here, would like to meet your daughter if that's okay. They seem close in age."

"Yes, that's fine, and hello, Tara," said Kodah. "We're pleased to meet you, and I think Finley will be too. I know she's a bit bored hanging around with us."

"Hi, Tara," said Finley. "I've seen you playing here sometimes, but I've never had the chance to meet you."

"Hi, Finley. Nice to meet you too. Do you like to dance?" Tara asked.

"I love to but hardly ever get the chance! I only wish it was the Octo Rocks that were playing," said Finley.

"Oh, I so, so agree!" said Tara excitedly. "They're so good! Isn't their latest song, Riptide, amazing? Come on, though, let's still dance. We can make the best of it!"

Tara and Finley held hands as they made their way to Ruto Lake to dance.

"That's nice and will make the party a lot more fun for Finley," laughed Kodah.

"And more fun for us too!" laughed Kayden as he took Kodah's hand. "Thanks, Link!"

"I think this is what they call a win-win situation," laughed Link. "Anyway, I should get back to Mipha now. But have fun!"

Link rejoined Mipha, and they danced several times during the evening. But as the party wore on, Link started feeling tired, and they took a brief break from dancing.

"This was a fun surprise," said Link as they sat holding hands and watching the others dance.

"For me too," said Mipha. "I had no idea they were planning this. But it was sweet of them."

"You know, I can sense the effect of music on me more now," said Link. "It moves me emotionally. You told me Zora's have a special love of music, and I can feel it now."

Mipha smiled.

"Welcome to my world, sweetheart," said Mipha. "And this time, you're staying!"

"I am, sweetheart," said Link as he laughed. "Welcome to our world."

Then they laughed and held hands, and when Link felt ready, they resumed dancing.

"I love you so, so much!" said Mipha as they held each other close and moved to the music.

"I love you just as much," said Link. "And it's nice not having to stand on my toes to kiss you!"

"It's nice not having to lean down to kiss you back," laughed Mipha. "Not that I minded all that much. We started out the other way around."

Then they both laughed and kissed and resumed dancing.

It was indeed the start of a new chapter in their life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.5K 548 12
Zelink AU Modern Fanfiction Link and his grandfather always used to go on an ice fishing trip every winter break. But when Link's grandfather passes...
13.1K 628 41
One day you got transported to another universe, with all your memories of that universe being erased. You woke up in this mysterious world, with no...
108K 5K 44
((read whole description to know what you're getting into xD)) There is a secret hiding in the nation of Hyrule. For centuries this land has been a...
428 30 16
During my extended break from writing, I've been playing a lot of Breath of the Wild. With Tears of the Kingdom just around the corner, I figured it...