My Darling Katherina

By Sophie_BookQ

What if Amarantha was pregnant with Rhysand's daughter and he didn't know about it until years later? Will sh... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty- One
Chapter Thirty-TwoοΏΌ
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Three

1.6K 45 13
By Sophie_BookQ

Katherina walked through the snow, ignoring the stinging sensation of ice digging into her skin. She felt her body tremble with every small breeze. The loud 'boom' ringing in her ears, her skin stained and ashed.

Though she ignored it, the pain, the hurt. Pictures of the accidental flashing with every blink she took. The smell stuck in her scent and nose. The smoke in her lungs, making each breath harder than the last.

She wasn't sure how long it's been or how far she walked, she just wanted the pain to go away. It's weight trying to push her down harder and harder until she's on her knees.

Eventually, the wind died down for a minute, giving her a clear view of a small cave a few feet from her. Katherina slid against the hard stone in the far back of the cave, craving the small warmth it had.

She laid there unmoving, the only sound of her soft breathing. Her heart began pounding rapidly as reality started to hit. The gut clenching feeling too powerful to bear. Tears seemed to fall down her face as Katherina tried to hold in her agony.

Silent screams fighting their way up her throat. She took off her ring, throwing it against the ground, black smoke coming from its broken pieces.

Katherina gripped her arms in hopes to quiet her sobs, digging her nails into her skin as fire burned in her throat. She wanted to scream, she wanted to break the cave until it was dust.

She felt a shadow step into the cave, softly trying to uncurl hands from her arms but Katherina wouldn't budge. She shut her eyes tightly, wishing the tears would stop flowing as she felt them brush her hair.

Warmth sank into her bones as the being stood kneeling in front of Katherina. Their shadows comforted her.

She knew he knew what had happened. Didn't push her to talk, to move, nothing. Let her slowly cry out softly, but when she couldn't hold in anymore, opened her mouth and tried to speak, a scream tore out her soul.

By miles, this scream was heard. Pain and loss thundering against her as an endless wave. Katherina felt like crying for hours, days, months. Her screams getting softer by just minutes yet the pain burning evermore harder.

At one point, she was drained. Tired. Drowning in memories of the past that was just moments ago.

A hand rested against her cheek, turning her face towards the Darkness.

"Take me somewhere else," she whispered, her voice soft that only a God could hear her.

"I can't be here...It hurts too much."

Without a word, The Darkness invaded her senses until she felt herself falling in a place of warmth. Here, the sun was shining, the birds were singing, the river danced- everything just seemed to glow of life.

Katherina no longer smelt of blood and smoke. Her clothes weren't ripped or burned.
She was dressed in a gown of white, small dandelions braided into her hair.

But Katherina made no move to get up, instead laying on her back as she stared up at the sky.

She didn't know where she was, and it didn't matter.

Tears again formed in her eyes however she managed to keep them in. Emptiness filling her soul as she felt sleep pull her in. Inviting her to rest from the past and she didn't stop it.

***

"Nervous?"

Katherina rolled her eyes as Caldor strolled over to her, watching her with careful eyes. He stopped just a few feet from her, his wings already healed and scar free. Just a few moments ago, Katherina had spotted him from her window, soaring through the clouds as though the accident never happened.

"Before I would have said yes, but then I realized there are many other things to worry about other than a crown," She said. 

"Like?" He replied.

She turned to face him, "Losing you."

Caldor simply smiled at her, as if the fact he almost died wasn't a big deal. "Can't get rid of me that easily," He winked.

"Unfortunately," She teased.

Katherina looked back around, her reflection so different than the one she was before. The small broken girl whose skin was of death and eyes empty as a corpse. The female who stared back at her, seemed like a different person.

"You look stunning," Caldor whispered. Seemingly nervous when the words left his tongue.

"I do."

He glared at her, humor in his honey colored eyes.

And she did. The dress she wore was of starlight, sparkling as a shooting sun. It hugged her waist perfectly and pushed up her chest. The gown stopped just slightly above her ankles to then half draped on the floor behind her. The straps on her shoulder were so thin that one who stood far away might believe her dress was shoulder less.

Her father had sent Nuala and Cerridwen to come a few hours before and help Katherina with her hair, straightening it making it longer than she thought, stopping right at her hip. They had also added some sparkle to it to match her dress. (And probably her crown).

Her heels were made entirely of glass, however they aren't as uncomfortable as Katherina believed.

"Isn't it bad luck to see the future High Princess to be before she is crowned?"

Caldor chucked, "That's only for weddings, not Princesses."

"All the same, you should leave."

"Is that an order, High Princess?" He questioned.

Katherina shook her head, The question lingering in her mind. Walking over to her shelves, she grabbed a small box.

"What's that?" Caldor asked.

Katherina smiled at him, before putting on a serious expression. Caldor noticed her change of mood and immediately straightened.

"Caldor Phlegethon, Son of Kai. Would you be my personal guard, accompanying me to the Court of Nightmares and if so, anywhere else I wished?" Katherina voiced strongly.

Caldor stared at her, surprise and confusion twisting in his face. He then took the box she held, opening it to reveal matching silver rings meant to wear on Illyrians wings.

Except these were specially made to symbolize that the wearer is a personal high ranked warrior of the royal family of the Night Court.

Katherina wanted to show him that she trusted him. They had met just about a month ago and he was already her best friend.

He finally looked at her, his face blank as their eyes met. Her heart sank, reaching for the box in his hands but Caldor held on strongly.

"What-"

"-I'd go to the Mortal lands or anywhere you wish, Katherina." His voice deep and true. Revealing to her that his words were real.

Taking the rings, she put them on his wings, the cool silver cold against her hands as she stepped back to see how bigger it made his wings look.

Almost putting Azriel to shame.

Her father then called to her through her mind.

It's Time, He said.

Caldor reached out his hand, offering it to Katherina as they prepared themselves to winnow them to the Court of Nightmares.

Yes, the voice whispered. It's time.

***

Her Father and Feyre, including the rest of his family, had walked in, followed by Caldor, showing to the people of the Court of Nightmares that Caldor was part of the royal family.

When Rhysand was ready he would call out to Katherina, letting her know that it was time to reveal herself. For now, she stood behind the closed doors, breathing down her nerves.

Katherina felt a hand rest at her lower back, turning sharply to the stranger to only reveal the Darkness.

Dressed in royal attire, matching almost similar to her gown.

"Don't you look like a jewel, Katherina."

She smirked, "Are you just saying that because you made me this gown?"

The Darkness simply smiled. Her heart clenched.

"Are you ready?"

She looked to her hands, digging her nail into her palm. Though not because she was anxious. "I'm not sure. I've never been a High Princess before. I don't think it suits me."

The Darkness just looked at her, "It doesn't."

Confusion swirled up in her. What does that mean?

They gazed at the other silently. Katherina could still remember a time when they stood like this. She had moved into the small apartment in Velaris. The Darkness helped her move around her things, and furniture.

Katherina remembered how excited she was to finally own something she could call home. They had stood just like this. Gazed deep into the other's eyes just like this.

Hers once full of love. Now it was wariness. Though he bore the same face, the same scent, Katherina didn't not recognized the stranger in front of her.

'How do you know when it's over?' Katherina asked, as they watched snow land gently on the leaves.

'Maybe when you are more in love with memories instead of the present,' Ziv had whispered back to her.

For the time, she would act like his companion, his friend. But she could not trust this God. He was keeping things from her, hiding his true self from her. And she wanted to know why.

Katherina wrapped her hand around his, hers warm and smooth. His Cold and rugged.

Now, Rhysand said.

The Darkness then turned into her shadow, binding himself with her as she took on last breath of air. Katherina straightened herself and by just a flick of her wrist, the doors flew open. Gasps and mutters heard from all around the room as Katherina walked in.

Now, the voice said. Now the story has begun.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.3K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
104K 2.3K 61
𝑨 π’”π’•π’π’“π’š 𝒃𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘―π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅 π‘»π’‚π’Žπ’π’Šπ’ 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 π‘Ίπ’‘π’“π’Šπ’π’ˆ π‘ͺ𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕'𝒔 π’…π’‚π’–π’ˆπ’‰π’•π’†π’“, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 π‘―π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰ 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅...
73.3K 3K 96
She sent as much love as she dared, hoping he wouldn't feel it, praying he wouldn't link it to her. But just for that one second, she let herself lov...
2.5K 93 15
(This is a sequel to another fic of mine called Betrayed. You don't have to read it to understand, but I highly recommend it!) Eudora Damaris believe...