Clouded Distance | Free! Fan...

By redvelvetts

SEQUEL TO OPEN WATERS. "It's come upon us at last; our first, and last, eternal summer." Transfering back to... More

1. A New Beginning
Author's Note
2. An Invitation
3. Unexpected Relay
4. A New Club
5. Reopened
6. Sakura
7. Late Night
8. Questioned
9. Iwatobi SC Returns
10. Quiet Uncertainties
11. Small Concerns
12. Strange Behaviour
13. An Opportunity
14. Keeping Quiet
15. Out Late
16. Trust
17. Hiding Out
18. Letting it Out
19. Prefecturals
20. Premonition
21. Precaution
22. Reassurances
24. Helpless
25. Falling Apart
26. Acceptance
27. Breaking Point
28. Time and Distance
29. Clear as Day
30. Always Connected
31. Eternal Summer
Epilogue

23. Surprise News

1.1K 44 5
By redvelvetts

Clouded Distance

Chapter Twenty-Three

Surprise News

"Let's check the new version of your story, Kimi."

The young red-haired girl handed her papers shyly out to Hana. After sending the girl a reassuring smile, Hana proceeded to read the slightly altered version of Kimi's story.

Classes had just finished, and it was one of the days where Hana would help out at the writing club. She had found herself strangely looking forward to this. She'd been helping out for two or so weeks now and loved it. She loved helping the younger students gain confidence in their abilities, and loved encouraging that. Each meeting she walked out with a broad grin on her face.

She loved helping Kimi out most of all. Kimi seemed so hesitant and unsure about her own writing skills, and helping her realise just how good a writer she was made Hana smile. It had taken some convincing and patient prodding, but Hana could tell Kimi was starting to believe in herself more.

And it really shines through her writing, Hana thought. There had been a slight uncertainty behind Kimi's words before, as though she hadn't been sure whether she should've been writing them at all. But now, fuelled with new confidence, Kimi's writing reflected how much passion she put into the story.

"Is it good?" Kimi asked nervously, when Hana put the pages down. No matter what your age or how long you've been writing for, receiving criticism is always the most nerve-wracking part of having s story written.

But Hana soon calmed any nerves Kimi might have had when she smiled and said, "It's brilliant. Lots of people are going to enjoy reading that, I guarantee you!"

Kimi gasped. Her green eyes brightened and shone. "Thanks, Hana-senpai!" she squeaked out.

"No need for senpai. I'm a writer, just like you." Hana tapped the pages with her finger. "Get that to Hikaru as soon as you can!"

Kimi nodded. Hana grinned and left, wandering back to the front where Hikaru stood.

"You're handling this well," the brown-haired boy noted.

Hana shrugged. "It's fun. If I can't do much else for the writing club anymore, then I'm more than happy to help out. And... it's satisfying, seeing the way they gain confidence in their abilities in the end, helping them achieve their goals."

It truly was. Hana was glad she had joined two clubs after all: she'd never have had this experience otherwise. It truly had been a blessing in disguise.

"Have you decided much about your future, Hana?" Hikaru asked presently.

"Asides from the scholarship application, you mean?" Hikaru nodded. Hana pondered the thought for a while. "Well... I don't know. I'll find a place that has a writing course, definitely, but I'm starting to think that I might like teaching as well. If I can't get anywhere with my writing... helping others seems to be the way to go."

She had discovered that over these past two weeks. Become a teacher and help others out, particularly the younger ones... It brought joy to her. Perhaps she could become a literature teacher if writing didn't work out for her.

"How about you, Hikaru?" Hana inquired.

Hikaru started, and rubbed the back of his neck. His cheeks reddened in self-consciousness. "I've seriously been considering journalism," he murmured. "Writing for the newspaper or something."

"That sounds fun, and perfect for you!" Hana exclaimed. "I'm sure you'll do fine and achieve your goal!"

"You think so?"

"I do, most definitely!" Hana checked the clock at the front of the room. "Right, I need to head to the pool. Regionals are coming up fast, after all."

"Good luck, Hana!" Hikaru called, as she began to make her way out of the classroom.

"Thanks!" she called back, waving as she did so.

Hana ran down the hallways and into the outdoors, the warm summer air hitting her right in the face. She made a dash for the change rooms, almost tripping over her feet as she did so. Hana rolled her eyes at herself. Jeez, you're not that late! And these guys are your friends, they're not going to look down at you for doing this, they understand.

Hana reached the change rooms and, now dressed in her light blue swimsuit, hurried for the pool. Gou stood on the sidelines, and looked across as Hana entered.

"Hana! I was wondering how much longer you were going to be."

"Sorry about that." Hana pulled her cap over her head and fixed her goggles into position. "I haven't missed too much, have I?"

Gou shook her head. "No. We were talking for most of the beginning."

"About what?"

"Makoto's swimming class. There's someone there who's afraid of the water, and Makoto wants to help out."

Hayato. Kisumi's little brother. Hana nodded. "I see," she murmured. "Well, can't waste too much more time!"

"No, you can't!" Gou said. Hana laughed and chose a spare lane, diving into it and beginning her regimen.

By the time they were finished, Hana was tired out. Gou had made some slight alterations to her training regimen in preparation for regionals. The extra intensity put on top of her already-altered schedule had made her a more tired out than usual, so much so that, when she, Makoto and Haru walked home together, she lagged half a step behind them.

The waves of the ocean crashed on the shoreline to their right. As they walked Makoto had quickly explained his situation with Hayato to Hana, and how he didn't know how to encourage Hayato to start swimming and help him overcome his fear of the water.

"Giving Hayato-kun everyone's advice might be a little difficult," Makoto mused when he finished, after telling Hana the advice he'd received from everyone else.

"What was it like for you?" Haru asked. "If you or Hana think back on that, you'll probably know what to do."

Hana frowned. "I've mentioned it before, It was different in my case," she murmured. "I was older than Hayato when I finally overcame my fear of the water, and that was because of my curiosity, and you, Haru. I don't think Hayato will have that same curiosity as me." She glanced at Makoto. "How about you, Makoto?"

"In my case..." Makoto thought for a short while. "It was because I was able to see the sky while swimming backstroke that I stopped being scared. But starting with backstroke isn't the normal way to teach someone to swim."

"So what? You should just do it your way," Haru countered.

Makoto thought this over. "You're right. I'll give it a try!"

Hana grinned. "I'm sure you can do it, Makoto," she said.

* * *

The week progressed, and before long it was the weekend again.

It had been a pretty good week, Hana thought. No dramas had happened. She'd helped out at the writing club. She trained with her friends in the pool. She was doing well in her classes. Her mother hadn't lectured her too much about futures and whatnot. She'd spent a lot of time with Haru and the others.

Yeah, things were starting to look better.

On Saturday morning, Hana's good mood had been dampened when she received a phone call, which effectively ruined her lie-in. She brightened up when she heard Makoto's mum, who asked if she wouldn't mind taking Ren and Ran into SC Returns. Apparently, they wanted to see Makoto coach, since it was his last session that day. Sasabe had found a part-time worker, so Makoto wouldn't have to work any longer.

Hana had readily agreed. She enjoyed watching Makoto coach, and she loved spending time with the twins.

She phoned Haru after she ended the call with Makoto's mum, and asked if he'd like to join them. He agreed. Hana hung up the phone with a smile on her face.

That was how she came to be at SC Returns with Haru that afternoon, Ren and Ran in tow.

"Onii-chan!" The twins ran for their older brother, who turned around as soon as he heard their voices.

"Ran, Ren!" Makoto greeted, a fond smile on his face as he looked at his younger siblings. What are you doing here?"

"Is was Hana-chan and Haru-chan!" Ren said.

Ran nodded enthusiastically. "They brought us here!"

Makoto glanced up at the two of them. "They said they wanted to see you coaching," Haru explained.

"More like they pleaded and gave us puppy eyes to the point where we couldn't say no," Hana laughed, though she looked fondly at the two younger ones.

Makoto smiled. "Thanks." He looked down at his younger siblings. "Ran, Ren, make sure you behave okay?"

"Sure!"

"Don't worry, Makoto, we'll keep them in line," Hana said, laughing. Makoto chuckled as well, and Hana led the two to the stands. It was almost time for Makoto to start the lesson.

"He really does work well with kids," Hana hummed, once the lesson was underway. Fortunately Ren and Ran were behaving, exchanging between watching and talking between themselves. This allowed her focus all her attention on Makoto and enjoy her time with Haru.

When the lessons finished, Haru asked Ren and Ran to wait in the lobby, while he and Hana went to meet in the pool area.

"Makoto!" Hana called, stepping into the pool. The chlorine smell was stronger here, and the tiles had small puddles of water on them. At least she was wearing shoes.

Makoto turned around and snubbed. "Hana, Haru!" Hana tossed him a towel, which he caught easily. "Thanks."

"Ran and Ren are waiting in the lobby," Haru informed him.

"I'll be right there."

A familiar figure looked around the door. "Haru, Makoto, Hana!" he called, upon seeing them.

I hadn't been expecting to run into this guy again, Hana thought. Though it is nice. I wish I could've known him. If only my family hadn't moved away from Iwatobi!

"Kisumi!" Makoto greeted.

Kisumi moved a little further into the room. "I just heard today's your last day," he commented.

"Yeah, it is."

"Hayato's sad about it. He said he wanted you to keep teaching him how to swim."

Makoto smiled. "It makes me really happy to hear that."

"It's thanks to you that Hayato is finally able to swim." Kisumi sent a genuine smile Makoto's way. "Seriously, thank you."

"Ah, it's no problem," Makoto said genuinely.

Kisumi nodded, then laughed. "It's been ages since we last met up, but you two really haven't changed! You're both still swimming competitively, right?"

"All three of us are," Hana corrected cheerily.

At the mention of all three of us, Kisumi turned to Hana in surprise. "Hana, you swim competitively too?"

Hana nodded once. "Yeah," she confirmed. "For the past year."

Kisumi chucked. "It makes sense that Haru's girlfriend would also be a swimmer."

Hana flushed a little at this statement, but still laughed. "I'm not as good as him, however. It'll take a while before I'm at his level."

"You are good, Hana!" Makoto told her, sounding to be quite firm on the matter. "In fact, all three of us are competing at regionals this year."

Kisumi's eyes widened. "Wow. Figures you'd all make it!"

Makoto laughed. "Rin and Yamazaki-kun will be competing for Samezuka."

"Wow!" Kisumi exclaimed, his eyes alight. He then froze, the bright expression on his face melting slightly and exchanging for a look of shock. "Wait, Sousuke too? Then Sousuke's shoulder must have healed, huh?"

Sousuke's shoulder... healed? Wait, what?

Hana froze and looked across at Makoto and Haru. I didn't hear that incorrectly, did I? What does he mean? Sousuke's shoulder hasn't shown any sign of injury...

Wait.

Hana's mind flashed back to prefecturals, for the relay event. Her eyes widened as recalled a particular moment in the relay when Sousuke had faltered in his stroke slightly.

He couldn't have...

"His shoulder... healed?" Makoto was the first of them able to speak, his voice slightly hoarse as though he'd forced himself to speak.

Kisumi nodded. "I ran into him at the hospital a while back. But if he's competing in tournaments, then it must have healed. I'm glad." He checked the time. "Oh, I'd better go! Well Makoto, Haru, Hana, see you later!"

And with that, Kisumi disappeared, leaving the three of them alone in the pool.

And Hana stared at the other two, and they did the same, the same shocked expression mirrored on each of their faces.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.5K 1.2K 87
A new girl shows up in Iwatobi. A complete mystery for everyone, all that she let show was her amazing academic capabilities, slowly, her athleticism...
107K 2.4K 37
Someday, I'll be part of your world ~Ariel (The Little Mermaid, 1989) =============================== You and Haruka Nanase were best friends since g...
284K 9.3K 38
~1st Place Winner of the AnimeWattyAwards Free! Category~ Mizushima Kasumi is a girl who used to swim competitively. However, now, she focuses only o...
1.1K 15 14
The regional tournament is over and the new school season is starting. and together with the chaning places in the classrooms, there happens a lot. S...