Understand Me

By AbigailRose1123

Baylor Jones, a 12 year old girl with Asperger's syndrome (autism), with an abusive life that she doesn't kno... More

*Characters* +authors note
Chapter 1 - They are dead, Baylor
Chapter 2 - I have six older brothers!?!
Chapter 3 - meeting the guardian
Chapter 4 - I live in a mansion
Chapter 5 - Who gave you those bruises?
Chapter 6 - Stop, please stop
Chapter 8 - Don't touch me!
Chapter 9 - A smile worth seeing
Chapter 10 - Don't hurt yourself
Chapter 11 - Time for a talk
Chapter 12 - It's okay to not be okay
Chapter 13 - Asher's sweet day
Chapter 14 - Brothers can be fun
Chapter 15 - The Bullies strike
Chapter 16 - A first for everything
Chapter 17 - Extended family
Chapter 18 - I need your help
Chapter 19 - Crash
Chapter 20 - Shooting up
Chapter 21 - Russia, here I am

Chapter 7 - First Day of School!

20.3K 291 127
By AbigailRose1123

I wake up, panting. It was just a nightmare, just a nightmare.

No, no it wasn't. I look over at BoBo beside me on my bed. It was a memory of what happened almost a week ago. Of course, now I'm going to have something else to have nightmares over.

Like I don't have enough of them already.

I learned to be quiet when I have nightmares. Frank would punish me for being loud. But sometimes I can't help it, I wake up screaming. Luckily, I haven't done that with boys yet. I would never hear the end of it.

Speaking of the boys, we've been avoiding each other. I go downstairs everyday, and most of them end up having something to do and leave and don't come back til dinner time. That's okay, I like the quiet.

I still don't quite like them. Especially Asher and Parks. They scare me. I never know what they'll do. Beckett, Archer and Kellan are nice, but that could be because of manipulative reasons. Kingston is still hovering since my breakdown, making sure I'm okay and comfortable.

I always say yes, but I lie. I feel like a stranger as I sit on the couch everyday. I feel like a guest in this big house with expensive things. I don't feel like I belong. But who really belongs when they have a brain that works like mine?

Today, Kingston told us we were having dinner together tonight. I always comply, never arguing. Some of the boys groaned, but Kingston's words are law, nobody is changing them.

I sit on the couch fiddling with anything my hands find relaxing. I pick at my nails, I chew on the collar of my shirt, I pick at the thread in the couch and pillows, I play with my own fingers as I watch tv, waiting for time to pass.

Much sooner than I expected, I hear Kellan (when did Kellan get here?), "Dinners ready, come to the table!" I get up from the couch, BoBo in my arms.

I walk in the dining room and see all the boys already there. How quietly did they come in? Or was I lost in my mind so much that I didn't hear them?

I sit at the seat near Kingston and beside Archer. Kellan is bringing each plate to the boys. Lastly I get mine in two different plates. I'm very thankful he is considerate of my dislike for food touching.

Tonight, we having some sort of pasta and bread. I watch the boys dip their bread in the pasta. I see now, Kellan didn't know if I would eat the bread if it had sauce on it so he put it in a different plate. Good thinking because I won't.

I start eating my bread first. It was good it had some kind of spice I've never tasted before.

As I finished my bread, Kingston disrupted the silence, "Baylor, school starts tomorrow. I have a computer and phone for you. All your brother's numbers are in it. If you ever need something, call or text us. If you have any trouble at school, tell one of us. We will fix the problem immediately. If your struggling with a subject, again tell one of us. We will help you. I want you in bed by nine. You will ride to school with the twins. Got it?"

I nod my head, "Yes." He hands me a rectangular device out of his pocket. It was in a case that had a monkey on it.

I smiled really big as a saw the case. I really liked it. I can tell people many facts about monkeys. Before Frank came into my life, I used to go to the library and read all about monkeys.

Kingston had a small smile on his face, "Do you like it, Bubs?" I nod my head, letting the big smile shrink.

You don't like them, Baylor. Remember. Just because they do a nice gesture, doesn't mean I can trust them.

I think I trusted them so quickly because I've never had someone to trust in after Frank came. It's been years, 5 years. I didn't know it at first, but my heart yearned for someone to care for me. I'm tired of caring for myself.

But I can't trust them now. I'm too scared.

Kellan cleared his throat, everyone looked at him, "Baby Doll, we would really like to talk about what we can do to make you know we love and care for you." I just look at him like he's insane.

Beckett sighs, "Baylor, I know it doesn't always feel like it. I know some people have made bad impressions," he looks at a sheepish looking Asher and Parks, "but they are going to get better. They have just been going through some things. But they are going to get their act together."

Kingston was next, "I know why you're mad as some people, but tell me why you're mad at the rest. Let's go around the table and tell each person so we can fix ourselves and not do it again."

I squeeze BoBo feeling uncomfortable. I say in a small voice, " I don't like Asher and Parks because they messed with BoBo, and I asked them to stop and they didn't. I don't like Beckett and you because Beckett told Asher and Parks I was a burden. I don't want to be a burden." My voice can emotional. "And then he put that medicine in my arm. And you let him and held me down. I didn't like that. And I don't want to like Archer and Kellan because I don't like the rest of you. You could all be the same."

Beckett had wide eyes, "No Sweetness, you're not a burden, not at all. That's not what I meant with that conversation. I was just stressed with work and was burdened with all that was going on but not you, baby."

"But I was apart of the problem. I was in the mix of what burdened you. I heard you." My flat voice rings out in the quiet room.

If only Beckett knew what happened after I heard that. My leg is now healed and scarred at my thigh, three long lines.

He sighs, "Baby, I didn't mean it like that." I didn't respond. I'm done talking to him.

Kingston puts his hand on my arm to get my attention, "Don't you think it's a bit unfair to Kellan and Archer, who have been nothing but nice and caring, for you to ignore them?"

I thought about it. My mind roaring a battle of its own. I don't want to get hurt. I've been hurt too much already.

"No it not unfair. I don't want them to hurt me."

"Bubs, they haven't hurt you, and maybe they never will. You will have sibling squabbles, but they haven't hurt you at all. Do you know who helped you after your breakdown last Monday?" I shake my head. "Archer did. He held you on the couch, while you drooled all of his shirt. He's the one that gave you that comfort you needed. Do you think he loves and cares for you? Do you think he wants to hurt purposely?"

I look at Archer beside me. He has a look in his eyes that I can't quite decipher, but his eyes sparkle a little.

Still looking at Archer, "Really? You did that for me?"

He put his arms around me slowly, waiting to see if I'll back out of it. I lean into his hug. "Of course, Munchkin. I'll do anything for you. I know I don't talk much, but I do love you."

"Okay, I'll like you. But no one else." I'm still leaning into Archer's side, feeling small with all my brother's eyes.

Kingston speaks again, "What about Kellan? He was the first one after Archer to make sure you were okay. He checked to make sure you had everything, but you were asleep on Archer."

Kellan does try to do things to help my OCD. The food on plates, he keeps the pillows on the couch in an order that I like, he keeps the island of the kitchen clean, all for me. He knows those type of things bother me.

I take a minute to think about it. "Okay, I'll like him too. But no one else. The rest of you hurt me."

"Bubs, do you think, maybe, we could try to earn your trust again? We are human. We all make mistakes. I'm sure you have made mistakes before too. And that's okay, we just need to fix what we do wrong. So can the four of us try to earn your trust?"

I give them a scowl, holding onto Archer's hand, playing with his fingers. "You can try, but I can't promise I will. You guys hurt me, and nobody who has ever hurt me turned nice."

The boys' faces look sad. "Sweetness, I promise we will try our hardest, got it? We are not going to be like the people in your past. They didn't love you like we do." Beckett gets his point across. I don't answer and start eating my pasta. The boys get the point that I'm done talking.

Instead of the heavy silence like before, playful chatter from my brothers can be heard. It's almost like a weight as been lifted off their hearts.

They can try to earn my trust. But I've learned nobody really want to try with me. They always give up. So until they can prove me wrong, Kingston, Beckett, Parks, and Asher are on my don't like list.
———————

It's Monday morning. I have to go to a private school. With a bunch of people, if you forgot, I don't do well with a lot of people.

deep breathe

I can do this.

Frank never allowed me to go to school. I did homeschool. I had to teach myself though. He gave me books and told me to read over them. He would give me test to do, and they were easy after I went over the concepts in the books.

I look over at my clock which reads 5:32 am. Almost 30 minutes sooner than I needed to get up. I decide to put my clothes on. I go through my new uniforms. They look really nice. I pick out a navy skort with a white button up shirt that has to be tucked in, and the navy blazer that has to be worn everyday. I put on black flats that are a requirement, and I sit on my bed waiting for one of the boys to come get me.

I still don't feel quite comfortable going out by myself. I don't want to make them mad.

I wait about fifteen minutes before I hear a knock on my door. It's Parks. He and Asher are the last ones I want to see first thing every morning. He comes toward me, and I get BoBo from beside me and squeeze him harder. A sad look crosses his face, but I am not sure what it means.

He sits on the bed, leaving a little space between us which I appreciate. He decided to talk, "Have you been up long?"

"I got up at 5:32." He laughs a little at my statement. Probably because I was punctual.

"Are you ready for school, Baylor?" I nod my head, a little nervous to talk to him.

He raises his eyebrows at me, "Are you going to go to school with your hair looking like that?"

My eyes widen. I forgot to brush my hair.

He chuckles again and takes my hand gently, "Come on, let's get that hair looking pretty ." He takes me to the bathroom and grabs my hairbrush. When he brings the brush to my hair, I flinch.

He gasps, "Bay, what's wrong?"

I thought he was going to hurt me. I thought he was just going to force the brush through my hair, breaking my hair in the process. He seems to be able to read my mind as my head hangs down in shame for thinking so lowly of my brother. But can you blame me? He hasn't been very nice to me.

He crouches on his knees, making us almost the same height. He puts his hands on my shoulders, "Baylor Rose Gianni, I promise you I will never hurt you again, physically or emotionally. What I did was wrong, and I won't do that again. I understand you can't trust me right now, but know I will never hurt you."

I nod and mumble, "Okay."

He brushes my hair, very lightly and calmly. When he gets to a knot, he gently brushes them out, making sure it doesn't hurt. This is a weird side of him. I wonder what Kingston did to make him be so caring right now.

While he brushes, a thought comes to my mind about what he said, "I thought my name was Baylor Rose Jones, not Gianni."

Parks is silent for a minute, thinking. "Well, when you born, your last name was Gianni. When mom took you away and married Frank, she changed it to Jones. But we changed it back to what it was suppose to be all along. You're not a Jones. You're a beautiful Gianni."

I blush a little. "Was our dad's last name Gianni?"

"Yes."

I furrow my brows. "Where is our dad?"

He immediately stiffens. He puts the brush down, and takes a deep breath. "I think that's a good question for Kingston to answer. Okay, I have to go. Brush your teeth and come eat breakfast. Beckett and Kellan have it ready." He quickly leaves my room, slamming the door a little too loud for my liking.

Did I say something wrong? Did I make him sad?

I brush my teeth, and make my way down stairs.

Beckett has been making sure I eat a certain amount of food, because he said I was "malnourished". I don't like eating all the food, it makes my stomach hurt sometimes.

Kellan is the cook in our family so he makes whatever Beckett tells him too. I appreciate them thinking so much about me though. I appreciate them caring if I was fed.

Only good girls get food.

I guess I have been good enough. Frank gave me food as a reward for good behavior. I tried very hard not to have any breakdowns so I could have food. I tried not to move too much when he beat me.

I sit down on the barstool that Kellan has placed my toast and bacon before. I eat most of it, Beckett tells me good job. He's proud that I ate it without much complaint.

I grab my backpack and lunch box from Beckett's hand. I hear the twins starting to rush down the stairs. They look sharp in their navy suits.

Archer gives me a kiss on my cheek with a "good morning". Asher just gives me a small smile. It wasn't an evil smile either. He looked a bit guilty-looking, sad. I think.

Kingston comes in dressed in his black suit, ready for work, "Okay kids, off to school. Don't be late. Asher drive safe. Both of you watch out for Baylor." He comes in front of me. "If you have any problems, get one of the boys or call or text one of us. Love you, Baby." He gives me a kiss on my forehead.

I feel like they are really trying to be nice. But this could all be just for show. He could be deceiving me.

No one will love you the way you are. You are nothing.

I get in the back seat of my car, looking in my backpack to make sure BoBo is in there. BoBo has to stay with me all day. I need his comfort.

The car ride there was pretty quite, everyone too tired to talk. Once we are there, Archer crouches down in front of me, "I'm going to walk you to your class. The teacher will give you a schedule there to follow. You won't have to change to too many classes. Have a good day at school, Peanut."

He brings me to my classroom. He introduces me to the teacher, Mrs. Cooper.

"Hello miss Baylor, how are you?"

I mumble a small, "Good."

Archer whispers in my ear, noticing my anxiety, "it's okay, munchkin. She knows about you and can help you if you need it."

I look to him, and he nods to me. I give him a nervous look and decide to follow Mrs. Cooper. I fiddle with my finger, scratching at my hands. She gives me a seat in the front row at the end, near her desk.

I appreciate not being in the mix of everyone. I don't like being in crowded areas.

The bell rings and I cover my ears with my hands waiting for the ringing to go away. I don't like that. The noise is too loud.

I set my backpack beside my chair, looking at the teacher as she speaks. She gave me a piece of paper that tells me what class is next and at what time it starts and ends. I'll carry this everyday, because I like structure. I like things being precise.

I'm in english class right now, next science, art, math, lunch, history, and gym class to end the day. What is gym? I guess I'll find out.

Everything is going pretty well so far, I'm just working on a worksheet that got handed out to all the students. Then I hear that stupid bell again. I, again, cover my ears with my hands, screaming inside my head to make the noise stop.

Too loud.

I go to a new classroom and, he introduces himself as Mr. Wilson. He sets me at a desk near his desk. Kingston must have let every teacher know of my problem. Of my burden to the world.

Some people try to talk to me, but I don't answer any of them. I don't like talking to strangers, and I don't like being in this classroom.

This is pretty much how it goes every single class, up until lunch. I brought my own lunch, carefully packed in different containers inside my bag.

I decide to eat in the room that says library. Libraries are suppose to be quiet, right? I saw the lunch room, and there was a lot of people in there.

I sit at a table alone, nobody but me and a few older girls and boys here. I open my lunch bag to see chicken nuggets inside a thermos, some chips and two cookies. With a water bottle.

I eat my lunch silently, until the doors burst open, revealing my two brothers. They look a little wild.

Asher comes to me, pulls me into his chest,placing a hand on my head, "Oh my goodness, I thought you were gone again." He's breathing hard, his heart racing fast.

This is very unlike him. Was I not supposed to come in here?

"Did I do something wrong?" Asher pulls back, letting go of my head.

Archer says, "No you didn't, we just didn't know where you were. We looked for you in the lunch room, and couldn't find you."

"Am I suppose to go in there?" Please no.

"Well yes, but you can eat in here if you're more comfortable." I nod an okay.

They ended up leaving, but then came back with a tray of food and sat down with me.

I raised my eyebrows, "are you staying with me?"

Asher spoke instead of Archer, "We thought you might like the company. So you don't have to be alone."

"I don't mind being alone."

He stops what he was eating, "so you want us to leave?"

I shrug, "not if you don't want to. I'm just saying that I don't mind being alone either. I've never had anyone that wanted to be with me so I'm used to being alone."

The boys give me looks that look angry but sad at the same time, I'm not sure.

"Well, munchkin we want to be with you." Archer lands a kiss on top of my head.

We eat in silent, the boys sometimes conversing. Archer leads me to my history class that Mrs. Cooper also teaches.

After that stupid bell rings again, I go to gym class. We have gym clothes to change into. So I go in one of the bathroom stalls to change and come out and sit on the bleachers.

The teacher, Ace Bianco, which he wanted us to call him Ace, came out and directed us to play a game of dodge ball.

What is that game?

Ace is a tall man. He has blond hair with dark brown eyes. He has tan skin, with muscles much like Kingston. He looks intimidating, but his personality doesn't reflect that.

He stopped me while we were walking to the court, "Baylor, come talk to me." Ace looks young. No older than Kingston.

I fiddle with my fingers, wishing I had BoBo out, "yes, sir."

He smiles wide at me, "ah no sir business. I'm a good friend of Kingston. We grew up together. You'll probably see me at the house sometime. It's nice to meet you, well see you again. I knew you when you were just a little baby."

"You did?"

"Yep I did. If you need any help with anything, you come to me. If you get too overwhelmed in this environment, we can do something else for you. Let's see how dodge ball goes. If it's not good, you can come stand by me."

I nod my head. I go out to the court, and Ace explains the rules. Once the game starts, I realize real quick that I don't like this game.

Tears start to fill my eyes, I go over to Ace. "I don't- I don't like this."

His eyes widen. "Oh okay, Tresora. That's fine, don't worry about it. You can stay by me. We can watch." I nod and wipe my eyes with my hands. (Treasure)

Boys and their weird names they call me. I wonder what it means.

I hear the bell, meaning the end to this class and the end of school. I grab my backpack and head toward where the boys said they would be to get me.

I stand at the door to the gym, Archer comes through and grabs my hand gently. We meet Asher and us three walk to the car, Asher's black sport car.

Asher notices my red rimmed eyes, "Were you crying?"

Archer spins around where he was in front of me. He holds my face in his hands, "What happened? Did someone mess with you?"

I shake me head, "I didn't like the game at gym. It was just.... Too much. But Ace said I didn't have to play so I just watched."

They nod, I supposed feeling satisfied with my answer.

On the way home, we stop by this place called "Pop's ice cream Parlor". We get out, and I ask, "What are we doing?"

"We are getting ice cream, munchkin." Archer.

"To celebrate our first day of school." Asher.

I whisper, "Okay."

The boys let me pick two scoops of ice cream. They got one scoop. I've not had this treat in so long. Since Frank came into my life at 7. Five years ago.

We ate our ice cream, watching people go by. Archer is quiet, Asher doesn't always want to speak to me because of what happened between us, and I don't always like to talk so we just watch our surroundings.

When we get home, Kingston is in the dining room. He comes out and asks, "How was school, Bubs?" I think he's worried.

"It was okay. I don't like the bell. That noise is just too loud." I start to fiddle with my fingers.

Kingston looks at my hands and sees the battle scars from today, "Oh Honey, what did you do here?"

I hang my head, looking at the floor. "I didn't want to bring BoBo out of my bag because I didn't want anything to happen to him, but I have to mess with something so.... my hands were there."

He chuckles, "Baby, I can get you some fidget items you can bring to school so this won't happen, and I can get some ear plugs to help with the bell. Let's put some cream on those hands so they won't hurt."

He goes in the kitchen and brings some out and puts it on my hands. It soothes the burning. I appreciate him doing this.

I get a shower and change my clothes. I go downstairs and watch TV until Kellan says dinner is done.

We are having meatballs and some vegetables tonight. I've never had this.

As we eat, my brothers ask questions about school, how it was, what did I do, did I meet Ace, blah blah blah.

Most of my answers were short or one worded.

Kellan tucked me in tonight. "Good night, Baby Doll. I hope you sleep well." He gave me a kiss on my forehead. I like him. Kingston was right, I should not hate him because of others' actions. I know Kellan has a big heart. I just wish my other brothers were like him and Archer.

I go to sleep tonight already dreading another school day. How long does school last?

I don't know what to do about the call. Do I keep Baylor home? No, that would disrupt her life, and then my enemies would definitely know we are on to them and scared. She can't be shown as our weakness, or she will be a target for the rest of her life.

Kellan has a sturdy plan. We be on guard, but don't make the first move. Just be ready for a move. Training is going to be amped up for all the boys, everyone needs to be in tiptop shape with tiptop skills.

Earlier today

I sit in my office at the main headquarters. My office phone rings. I pick it up.

"Kingston Gianni."

A low chuckle, "Kingston Gianni, has your little sister been delivered to the safety of her big brothers?"

At the mention of my sorellina, I'm on high alert. "Who are you? What do you want?" (Baby sister)

"What do I want? I want what you took from me. Who am I? Well that's for you to find out."

"What did I take?!?" A laugh at the end of the line. "ANSWER ME!"

"Kingston, I have something to dangle over your head. I wouldn't talk in that tone to me. You better give me what I want, or I will tear down everything you and your father built."

I scoff, "Yeah right, like there's anyone more powerful than me in my line of business." I can't mention I'm in a mafia just in case this is just a stupid prank call from another business in competition, not a mafia in competition. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was both. "If you want to play games with me, buddy, go ahead. Better bring a shovel. Be ready to dig your own grave."

The line ends. I slam the phone down. Pushing my office chair back. Kellan must have heard the commotion and comes in.

"Fratello, what's wrong?" (brother)

I'm breathing hard. "Some idiot just called me. He asked if we had Baylor, and then said he wanted what we took from him. What did we take? It can't be Baylor. She lived with low lifes who didn't have two cents in this world. Some one with high power knows Baylor is back and is now going to use her to get at us."

Kellan nods. "I'll amp up security. Definitely let the twins know so they can watch her while at school. I'll have more people guarding around the school and the house. Call Ace later, and let him know. He will protect Baylor with his life, I know he would."

"Yeah that sounds like plan. I'll make sure to call him."

Kellan puts a hand on my shoulder, "Fratello, she isn't leaving us again if we can help it. We will fight with everything we got." (brother)

I don't say anything back. I just bring my brother in for a hug. A rare vulnerable moment between us. I know this hug speaks more words than I could ever make up.

——————
Chapter 7 is done!! I hope y'all enjoyed it! I kinda struggled with this chapter. I don't know if it was because the stress of school or what, but I hope you like it.

There is going to be more interaction with the boys soon! I need some fluffy, healing moments before the big storm comes along.....

Please vote and comment! If there is anything you want to see/ moments comment below 👇
Abby Rose <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238K 7.6K 169
What if a Pokรฉmon Trainer found herself in the world of One Piece? What if she found herself with the Strawhat Pirates? What if she finds herself get...
150K 8.1K 83
Being flat broke is hard. To overcome these hardships sometimes take extreme measures, such as choosing to become a manager for the worst team in Blu...
68.7K 137 6
แ€‡แ€ฐแ€ธแ€‡แ€ฐแ€ธแ€‡แ€„แ€บแ€›แ€ฒแ€ท แ€แ€”แ€ฑแ€ทแ€แ€ฌ แ€กแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€ธแ€แ€ถ แ€›แ€•แ€ฏแ€ถแ€™แ€ปแ€ฌแ€ธ
22.8K 503 20
๐‘ฒ.๐’ƒ๐’‚๐’Œ๐’–๐’ˆ๐’๐’– ๐’™ ๐’“๐’†๐’‚๐’…๐’†๐’“ โ†ณ ๐‘ฐ๐’ ๐’˜๐’‰๐’Š๐’„๐’‰ two students relate to eachother in more ways than one. โ†ณ Class 3-A students A little Secret rela...