Forget-Me-Not (dreamxreader)

By red_fairy_lights

****Book 2 of the Blooms of War series**** C!Dreamwastaken X femreader She/Her pronouns Y/N wakes to find her... More

1|| Trapped
2|| A Dreadful Cage
3|| Enderian
4|| Undercover
5|| Wilbur?
6|| What I Remember
7|| They Were My Friends, Right?
8|| Fundy || Part 1
9|| Fundy || Part 2
10|| Ripples
11|| Waves
12|| Rainbow Feathers - Father's Day Special
13|| A Tale From Long Ago
14|| I love you truly || Part 1
14|| I love you truly || Part 2
15|| The Meeting
16|| Chess
17 || Escape
18 || Travellers
19 || Exile
20 || Execution || Part 1
20 || Execution || Part 2
21 || Cocoa and Compasses
|| Halloween special ||
22 || You're Not Real
23 || The Truth
24 || Solivagant
25 || An Ocean of White
26 || Mothers
27 || Clarity
28 || Old Friends
29 || Secrets
30 || Engagement
31 || The Antarctic Anarchist Commune
✧Christmas Special✧
32 || Michael
33 || Heros
34 || Mizpah
35 || Stories From Another Life
36 || Adjustment
37 || The Community House
38 || Loss
39 || Anger
40 || Worry
41 || Bargaining || Part 1
41 || Barganing || Part 2
42 || Lightning
43 || Moving Forward
44 || Getting Help
45 || Itsy Bitsy Spider
46 || Best Friends
47 || Great Responsibility
48 || Time Away
49 || New Recruits
50 || East and West
51 || Return
52 || Always
53 || Only the Night Sky
54 || Great and Sudden Change || Part 1
54 || Great and Sudden Change || Part 2
54 || Great and Sudden Change || Part 3
55 || Action
56 || You Are My Everything
57 || Nostalgia
58 || War
59 || Silence
Final Words From The Author :)

60 || Epilogue

299 20 42
By red_fairy_lights

TW: SWEARING, ANXIETY, ALCOHOL

Feel good chapter :)

I think this is the longest chapter of this particular book... It's more than 8500 words so I suggest you get a snack hahaha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The breeze picks up at the base of the rock and runs up to my face. I breathe in the sweet smell and swing my feet gently over the cliffside. The spray from the waterfall catches the light creating a rainbow in the mist. I smile. 

Schlatt's bomb had created a giant crater in the centre of what used to be L'Manburg. It goes down to bedrock where a lake hard started to fill the pit. Phil and I had worked tirelessly to bring life back here. Removing rubble was the worst, but we got there eventually. Phil focused on building elements of the pit whilst I focused on life. I grew over the rocks with new plants that would flower next spring. Phil built a bridge across it and created a channel for a waterfall. A small river now flowed from the beach to the pit. In the centre, we planted a L'Manburg flag into the rock. 

It flutters gently in the autumn breeze. The water was crystal clear and fed all of the plants that had taken root. After we built this Phil and Techno left to go exploring. We get letters from them telling tales of the most splendid landscapes I never would have been able to imagine. I was glad to be seeing them tonight. 

Drista's hosting a great celebration for everybody in the SMP to mark the end of the war; a grand ball in the castle. From the buzz in town, I knew people would be celebrating in the SMP streets all through the night as well. Our massive collection of refugees celebrating their newfound safety and freedom alongside people who've lived here their entire lives. I can't wait to hear all about it. 

Drista has become queen and basically told Dream to fuck off so she could rule the SMP. He was more than happy to follow those orders. But today he seemed strange, I suppose that's how I found myself here. 

The crater somehow offered me great comfort. Something about it was incredibly peaceful. Maybe it was the abundance of life that radiated like light from the sun. Maybe it was because of the flowers people from the SMP had planted around it to honour the fallen soldiers in the war. But this place is something beautiful, covered in memories both yellow and blue. It was one of the last places where I don't feel lonely. Sure I was alone, sitting by myself with nothing but my thoughts, but I was far from lonely. If Wilbur was here I'm sure he'd agree. 

Despite everything I could have thought about - the dress I was going to wear tonight, the amazing food that would be served, and how cute the kids would look in their little outfits - my mind keeps drifting to Dream. I woke up alone in bed this morning, which was strange in itself. I always wake up first. Second, Sapnap and George were making dumb faces and giggling all through breakfast... Well, that was kind of normal. But Dream would barely meet my eye. Always glancing off and zoning out. Then he disappeared with Sapnap and George and went into the SMP without an explanation. I know he's not meeting his sister, she would've told me. 

I sigh and check my watch. Time to get going if I wanted to be at the castle on time. I stand and take one last look at the pit before turning to Percy who I had tied to a nearby fence. He nickers as I come closer and I give his neck a scratch in his favourite spot before I swing into the saddle. We trot directly to the centre of the SMP. Now and again somebody waves to me or shouts my name. I wave back politely and keep going straight to the castle. 

I thank the stableboy who takes Percy and head inside. I turn into the western hallway and smile when I spot Ranboo, Tommy and Tubbo at the bottom of the stairs. Michael runs around with his arms out, staring at the ceiling. I follow his gaze and chuckle when I spot Shroud climbing the panelled roof between dipping arches in the architecture. 

"Are you sure it's a good idea to have Michael and Shroud at the ball?" Ranboo cringes as he watches the two of them frolic about haphazardly. I laugh at his concern. 

"It's fine, Michelle and Yohgurt will be there two," I smile remembering the day I met both those kids. After the war, we had an abundance of orphans and were in desperate need of foster parents. Puffy and Fundy stepped up to the task. Puffy took home a sweet zombie piglin whilst Fundy took home a wild arctic fox hybrid. The kids got adopted pretty soon after they were taken home. 

"Has Shroud actually met Yohgurt or Michelle before?" Tubbo turns with his hands on his hips to look at Tommy who scoffs at the question.

"Has Michael?" he shoots back with a cheeky grin. 

"No," they say in unison. We all burst into laughter. 

"Well, that's perfect! They can get to know each other," I say regaining my composure. 

"Hey Y/N?" I turn and see Drista striding down the stairs with a square of paper in her palm. She frowns as she skims over it in a way that looks almost identically to Dream when he reads documents in the office. 

"Yeah?"

"Has our special guest arrived yet?" I shake my head, she groans dramatically and shoves the paper into the pocket of her tracksuit. I love how Drista ruled the castle and the country in sweats, converse and tee shirts. 

"I suppose it was hard enough to get them to come, let alone expect them to arrive early," she shrugs. She pauses at the bottom of the stairs and turns around hearing an all too familiar click-clacking of stilettos. Eret appears at the top of the stairs wearing their favourite red cloak and sunglasses like always. 

"You should all start getting ready," he says with a knowing, motherly tone. 

"Are our afternoon guests here?" Drista asks putting on a mockingly posh accent. Eret and I chuckle at her. 

"Lorelei and Myles have just arrived, the others will be here soon," Eret says. Drista and I thank them and say our goodbyes to the boys. We head up the stairs as calmly as we can, but when we lock eyes we melt into giddy schoolgirls. We both let out strange, excited squeaks and sprint down the hallway to Drista's room. 

Drista's room could be its own apartment, but today it was our private dressing room before the ball. It used to be a white a gold room, but Drista redecorated it. The palate consisted of gold and white still but with added lime and seafoam green accents. The bed was unmade and messy as usual and through the bathroom door, I could spot mini-mountains of Drista's things. 

We open the door and immediately Lorelei is hugging the two of us. 

"I'm so excited to show you guys my dress!" she beams with a twinkle in her eye. I notice how her beautiful auburn curls had been tamed back and she lacked her casual sunburnt cheeks. She must have spent a lot of time getting ready before we even got here. 

"We can't wait to see it," Drista pulls her into the room and sits her down on one of the lavish green and gold sofas. We had been planning these dresses for so long. 

Niki had kindly offered to make them with the help of her seamstress friend from town. We had sat down a few weeks ago to talk about what we wanted and had all been fitted separately. I was ecstatic to see how all of the girls' dresses had turned out. I was especially excited to see Drista's as she was so indecisive about what she wanted when we first got together. 

It's not long before Lian, Ting and Jade arrive making us all stumble into a new tizzy of joy. Ting is fast to run to Lorelei whilst Jade comes to me for a hug. Ting had grown a lot since we last saw her but she was still as cute as a button. Jade looked more mature but I knew that she was nervous about showing us her dress. 

Soon after, Niki, Puffy, Michelle and their seamstress friend arrive pulling in a large rack full of muslin bags. 

"I hope it's alright that we brought Michelle," Puffy starts but is cut off by Drista's tutting. 

"It's no problem at all," she smiles and kneels to meet Michelle who was hiding behind Niki's leg. I turn to the beautiful seamstress who had helped us with such a big job. 

"Thank you so much for all this work," I say and she just grins swiping through the garment bags on the rack. 

"It's no trouble! I loved all your ideas so much that it barely felt like work. My husband worked on some of the suits for the boys too," she winks at me and I laugh with her. My eyes shoot straight down when I feel a gentle tug on my leg. I smile down at Michelle and kneel so we're on the same level. 

"Can... Can you really grow flowers?" she whispers to me shyly like it's a great big secret. I suppose to a little girl it is. She plays with her long pink hair as she watches me carefully. 

I hold out my palm for her to see. Her little brown eyes widen as a peony blooms in my palm. Her grin is uncontrollable as I tuck it behind her cute piggie ear. Unlike Michael, only a little bit of Michelle's face revealed her skull. Just the right corner of her forehead, some of her temple and part of her eyebrow flashed white with bone. Michelle had hidden it craftily behind a long fringe pink and bangs. 

"Are you getting a dress too?" I ask her equally as quietly as she had asked me. She nods biting her lips and twisting her hair around her finger. 

"It's white," she says and I gasp exaggeratedly making her smile. 

"Mine's white too," I wink at her. 

"But mine's a surprise!" she insists and I nod putting on my most serious face. 

"I can't wait."

"Alright, ladies!" Drista calls getting everybody's attention. I roll my eyes when I notice her standing in the middle of her massive messy bed with Ting grinning like an idiot. "Since Niki brought this most amazing seamstress to us, she gets to try on her dress first!"

Niki goes in and comes out in the most stunning pink down. It was a dusty rose colour made of tule and ruffled on one side. Flowers decorated the bodice and skirt making her seem even more like an angel. 

Everybody files into the bathroom to change with the help of the seamstress and come out looking even more stunning than they already were. We try to get Drista to go in but she takes her sweet time insisting she'll go last. When Jade comes out we clap and cheer as loud as we can, making her blush a deep shade of red and immediately slink away. Lian is quick to grab her and pull her into a hug before she can escape. Michelle and Ting get equally large applause that makes them giggle and run behind their mothers' legs. 

Eventually, it's my turn to be pushed into the bathroom and listen to everybody mutter behind the door. 

"I thought your dress, in particular, was rather fitting," the seamstress smiles and zips open the muslin bag. I touch the divinely soft fabric and smile at how well it had turned out. I had let the voices take the lead in designing the dress. They had a way of knowing what would speak to my soul, this was no exception. I slip into the dress and adjust it so it fits perfectly. I turn to the door with a nervous smile.

My cheeks hurt from smiling so hard as the girls 'ooh' and 'ahh' at what I have chosen. Michell runs straight up to me and holds up her arms for me to pick her up. I hoist her onto my waist and she whispers in my ear. 

"I think your dress is very pretty," I smile and shake my head. 

"I think you look much prettier, like a princess," I compliment making her grin excitedly and bury her face into my shoulder to hide her embarrassment. 

"Drista! No more avoiding it!" Lorelei teases and starts shoving the girl into the bathroom. She shuts her in and dramatically wipes her brow making the rest of us laugh. 

None of us could have been prepared for what Drista had planned. None of us could stop clapping and Puffy even whistled making everybody laugh harder. Drista's emerald suit could not have suited her better, the fact that she kept on her white converse was perfect. 

"Now I know the dress code is formal," Drista says showing off her shoes. "But it's my party and there's no way I'm standing up all night in high heels."

A/N: These are all the outfits!!! I'm obsessed!!!! I wanted to make one of these for the boys but I couldn't find any suits that matched what I had pictured in my mind D:

"Are you all ready-" Eret stops short when they spot the eight of us all putting on the last of our jewellery and fixing up our hair. 

"You all look fabulous!" he beams and we're quick to compliment him back. Eret's red and gold dress was simply stunning, especially paired with the black glittery stilettos. 

"Eret," I say quickly and stride over before he disappears again. "Is my special guest here?"

Eret grins knowing exactly who I'm talking about. Bringing her here was an effort and a half and I couldn't wait to see the look on everybody's faces when they saw her. 

"She's waiting for you in the garden, just like you asked," Eret says. 

"I'll meet you all in the ballroom!" I call over my shoulder. 

"Say hi to her for me!" Drista calls back before the door closes behind us.  

Eret and I weave down through the back corridors away from where we knew the rest of the guests would be congregating. Through the windows, I could see that the afternoon had turned to dusk. The sky was lit with bright orange colours and all sorts of pinks and yellows too. 

We round the final corner to the door that leads to the gardens. It's already propped open, the doormen bow to me as I step down the stairs and spot the woman of the hour. 

"Kritana," I greet. Kritana turns around in her beautiful deep violet and gold gown. The marigolds on her had caught the fading light beautifully as she brushes her veil away to reveal her compassionate features. 

"Y/N, my dear," she smiles and opens her arms for a hug. "I'm so happy you invited me."

Kritana and I have found a way to converse without me travelling to the End. I started to experiment with chorus fruit in potion-making. One time I accidentally set the fruit on fire and it produced a purple flame. I felt strange energy radiating from the flame. On a whim and a gut feeling, I wrote a note to Kritana with ink I made from the fruit. I burnt the letter with the same purple flame and it disappeared leaving no ashes behind. A few hours later the flame relit on its own and a new letter was there in its place. 

Tonight, we plan to surprise everyone with her arrival.

"How did leaving the End go down with Hades?" I ask her. She sighs and rolls her eyes no doubt remembering what disaster had unfolded when it happened. 

"He was unwilling, to say the least. But I'm more than centuries-old enough to look after myself, and now that the End is beyond reconstruction I have no reason to stay there."

Kritana had a different air about her than when I last saw her in the End. She seemed far more confident and I'm certain that she is proud of what she has achieved; her freedom. But, like me, she was visibly anxious to see everyone's reaction when we entered the ballroom. 

"Phil is going to be so surprised," I grin girlishly and Kritana joins me with a more regal smile. 

"I can't wait," she says. 

I offer her my arm and she links her arm with mine. The doormen bow again as we pass through and enter the castle. I feel significantly more important with Kritana at my side. She seemed to be a goddess in every way. The way she talked, the way she walked, smiled and nodded her head was all so precise. It made her seem all-knowing, and in a way, she is.  

"You look so much like Artemis," she sighs suddenly making me look at her. "And Athena would have loved your jewellery."

It was strange being compared to them. They were my ancestors but I'd never thought about them that way. Above all, they are gods and I feel like that's the opposite of what I am. I spent most of my life in a village, not in a grand palace surrounded by unearthly beings like Kritana would have. 

"Do they watch over me?" it was the only question I had. I've heard so many stories of the gods, but in all of them, they seemed detached from one another. It seemed like they cared little for family or blood unless that was connected to their powers. Kritana purses her lips as she thinks of how to answer me. 

"Your actions would have caught their attention. But I haven't seen another god besides Hades in so many centuries. I cannot answer you in complete certainty," I nod understanding her. I expected as much. 

We turn a corner and spot Eret standing by two grand doors at the end of the hall. They were made of oak and delicately engraved with all manner of decor. Swirls and sweeps and swishing patterns adorned in gold marked the ballroom. Eret bows low when we approach before casting a familiar grin. 

"Everybody has arrived and our announcer has left," they summarise. "But I doubt we need anybody to announce your names for the room to know exactly who you both are."

Kritana and I chuckle with Eret for a moment. 

"Are you ready?" I ask Kritana sensing a slight shift in her aura. I smile internally knowing that she was nervous to see Phil again. Kritana goes to answer me but is cut off by a young voice. 

"Not without me!" Drista strides down the hall confidently. Kritana laughs and curtseys to Drista once she's with us. 

"Your majesty-"

"Oh gods please don't call me that!" Drista cuts her off with cheek in her tone. "I sound dreadfully old."

We laugh again as Drista flounces her usual charm and organises the four of us. She tells Eret to walk in with Kritana on his arm whilst she would walk in with me on her arm. When I ask her why she jests how she wants to be out of the way when Phil charges over to get his wife. 

Drista knocks on the doors and they're pulled open by doormen inside the ballroom. I force back my cringe as they groan from the movement, but Drista smirks. 

"Just like I planned," she mumbles and I snicker. 

We walk to the front of the landing and I feel my eyes sparkle as I look at the room. The ballroom was made of mostly marble and sandstone. Everything had been polished to perfection, so well that I could see the reflection of the landing on the floor below. The guests glittered in their finest formalwear holding glasses of champagne and tiny fancy food from waiters carrying trays. The right wall consisted entirely of grand pillars between ornate arching windows shrouded by heavy cream coloured velvet drapes. The left wall was tucked behind tables holding trays upon trays of delectable food. In the centre of the lavish ceiling, embellished with golden dips and curves, hung a marvellous chandelier. 

The door lets out one final creak that echoes through the room. Nearly all the chatter was brought down to gossiping whispers as peering eyes flicked toward us on the landing. But I couldn't care less about everybody else. 

Dream was unmissable in his white smiling mask with George and Sapnap by his side. The three of them looked dapper, Sapnap in a white suit with orange and gold accents and George in a fine blue suit, but I couldn't look away from Dream. His cream coloured suit has gold and green accents. Even from here, I could see how the suit pressed against his physique in an incredibly flattering way. 

From the corner of my eye, I notice Phil and Techno with their jaws on the floor. I smile down at my feet knowing they they've spotted Kritana and Eret on our left. 

"Congratulations, you've made everybody in the room want to kiss you, kill you, or be you," Drista uttered shamelessly. 

We take our time walking down the fine sandstone stairs. Along the bannister are great vases of beautiful flowers, primroses, lilies, daisies and cherry blossoms. Between them weaved tiny redstone lights that reminded me of fireflies. The more I looked around, the more I found the little lights. On the bannisters, they were most prominent, but they seemed to be woven into the fabric of the drapes that had been tied away from the windows revealing the manicured gardens outside. 

I look back to the room and see Dream making his way toward us. He climbs up the first few stairs holding out his hand to me. I take it immediately and am unable to contain my mystified expression. 

"You look breathtaking," he breathes and I feel something like electricity pass between our hands. I jump when Drista coughs next to me and raises her eyebrows at her brother, tugging on the cuffs of her amazing suit. 

"You look good too I guess," he claps back making her scoff and slink down the stairs feigning offence. We both chuckle at her antics as she goes to charm the room. 

"You look particularly swag," I smirk taking a leaf out of Tommy's book. Dream laughs knowing that I mean it kindly. He leads me down the rest of the stairs and around the corner to the wall. 

He glances around the room once and then slides his mask to one side of his head. I smile admiring his craftiness as he keeps his body turned so the room can't see his face. He leans in and kisses me quickly. My eyes drift over his handsome features drinking in everything before he slips his mask back on. 

"I've missed you today," I say feeling glad that he seemed better now. But as soon as I mention it the air between us changes and I regret saying anything at all. 

"Sorry... I was busy," he scratches the back of his neck and cocks his head to one side. I wish the mask was still on one side of his face so I could get some idea of what was going on in his head. 

"Where are the kids?" I ask trying to change the tension. Dream chuckles and nods to the food table on the other side of the room. I smile at how cute Shroud, Michael and Yohgurt look in their little suits and bow ties as they talk to the girls. From what I could see, they were debating something over chocolate and strawberry cake. 

"Is that?" Dream stops short finally spotting Kritana who was hugging Phil tightly. I laugh, touched that he only had eyes for me tonight. Dream had missed Kritana completely even though she was right behind me when we came down the stairs. Kritana kisses Techno's cheek once she finally peels away from Phil. 

"It was hard to manage, but we convinced Hades to let her visit for the night," I smile and feel my heart fill up as we watch the small family. Phil wouldn't be able to keep his eyes off her all night, his energy devoted to spending as much time as he can with her before she leaves. 

"Y/N!" I turn instantly and smile as I spot Ranboo waving awkwardly. 

He looked amazing. I knew he was nervous about his suit for the night, but it all turned out splendidly. He was dressed in his classic black and white, only the suit was laden with gold trims and embellishments. He had chosen a different crown for the evening, one much more ornate than usual. The amethyst gems glittered under the light of the grand chandelier and were tucked into delicate curves in the gold. His ring had been polished, as had the emerald earring he had on his ear. I touch my own earring smiling at its coolness. On his lapel, an Allium had been pinned with great care. He was a black and white prince of the End. 

"Ranboo, your suit is amazing!" I gush as he wraps me into a warm hug. He pulls back blushing on his white cheek. 

"You look amazing too! But you should really be complimenting Tommy, he was the mastermind behind all our suits," Ranboo flashes his signature shy smile as he turns and looks towards Tommy and Tubbo. 

"Oh really?" I smirk. 

The two of them looked just as regal in their suits. Tubbo's suit was a deep forest green and much simpler than Ranboo's. I have a feeling that's exactly what he asked for. Tubbo was never big on attention. Like Ranboo, Tubbo's ring shone like a little star on his perfectly oiled horn. 

Looking at the back of Tommy's suit, I felt like there was something incredibly familiar about it. It was navy blue with tails, golden epaulettes sat snugly on his shoulders and I could see red trims on his sleeves and collar. It's only when he turns around that I fully realise the design of the suit. 
It was nearly identical to the L'Manburg suits we used to wear. Only now, it lacked the many belts we used to wear for carrying weapons and instead brandished medals of service. It wasn't scruffed up like ours used to be, his boots weren't worn into the ground. Now, Tommy looked like a great general deserving of the silver and gold rounds he wore. 

I turn to ask Dream what he thinks, but he's no longer at my side. I look around feeling concerned and find myself sighing when I notice Dream being dragged around by George and Sapnap. I look up at Ranboo who gives me a sympathetic smile and offers me his arm. 

"Shall we?" he jokes. I let out a little laugh and take his arm with a nod. Tubbo is quick to spot the two of us and come over to hug me. 

"You definitely look the part of goddess tonight," he grins lopsidedly. 

"Hey don't forget about me!" Tommy shoves Tubbo aside making me laugh whilst I hug him. As we pull away, I take a butterfly that had settled on his shoulder and let it rest on my finger. 

"Fucking things, following me everywhere," Tommy grumbles. I blow on the butterfly to make it fly off, but it only lands in Tommy's hair. We complement one another's outfits and Tubbo and I make our effort to embarrass Tommy. His ears turn red as he cusses us out making the three of us laugh. 

"How are the kids getting along?" I ask Tubbo. 

"The shenanigans haven't stopped," he shakes his head with a smile. 

"Speaking of..." Tommy turns around revealing Shroud who must have climbed onto his back. I frown when I notice Shroud's shy expression, he's never shy around us. 

"What's wrong kid?" Tommy asks with fatherly concern in his tone. Shroud peers at all of us with his red eyes before whispering into Tommy's ear. Tommy's eyes widen with every word serving to increase my worry even more. Was something wrong?

"Uh... So- You uh... You should talk to Y/N about that Shroud!" Tommy grabs Shroud around his sides and holds him out to me. I give him a confused look and take Shroud gently and set him on my hip. 

"What's wrong?" I ask him hoping that he doesn't shy away again. Shroud takes a moment but brings his small hands to my ear so he can whisper to me. 

"I think Ting is very pretty," I grin like an idiot upon hearing his words. It was so sweet to see him being so vulnerable. But then I find myself laughing at Tommy's petty fears. Tommy was known for being bad at talking to women, but this was too much. 

"You weakling," I tease him and Tommy is quick to start cussing me out again. Tubbo and Ranboo look at one another, confused about the context of the situation. I keep laughing until Tommy leaves to go talk to Jack and Big Q. It's only when I feel a tug on my skirt do I properly calm myself down. Shroud moves onto my back so I can pick up Michael as well. 

"How's it going, Michael?" I ask him with a grin. I have to bite my tongue when I notice the same shy look in Michael's eyes that Shroud had a moment ago. He leans up and whispers in my ear. 

"I think Michelle is cute, but I think she likes Yohgurt more," Michael pouts. I hum and turn to look at the other kids who were still by the cakes table. 

I watch Yohgurt flash a toothy grin and say something that makes both the girls laugh. No wonder the boys came over here. They've never met any of those kids before, of course they felt intimidated. 

"That is a very tricky situation rascals," I agree with them. 

"What do we do?" Shroud asks me and an idea pops into my head quickly. 

"Well, at the end of the ball, the band is going to play a waltz. If you want to spend time with the girls that would be your perfect opportunity," I say to them both. They smile in anticipation, but I can tell that they're still nervous. 

"Will that be enough?" Michael asks quietly. I notice him watching his dads, too embarrassed to tell them anything. I chuckle a little bit and set them both down in front of me. I hold out my fists to both of them and watch their eyes widen with excitement. They've seen me do this trick thousands of times, I love how they never get bored. 

I open my palms to reveal two red roses and a pink and yellow rose. I give Michael the pink rose and Shroud the yellow one and pin the red roses to their suit lapels. 

"Give them the roses if they need some extra persuasion," I wink at them. Both of the boys nod seriously and set off on their mission. 

"Didn't take you for the matchmaking type," I'm quick on my feet at the sound of Techno's voice. 

Techno's suit was impeccable, to say the least. He still wore his royally crimson cloak but he had swapped his usual red sash for a vest instead. He was littered with gold embellishments, chains and jewellery and his hair had been braided so it fell flatteringly over his shoulder. His emerald seemed extra shiny tonight, as did his crown. 

"Techno!" I hug him enjoying his company after spending so much time apart. 

"You look beautiful," he says and I laugh complimenting his clothes too. 

"Did you like my surprise?" I ask holding his hands. 

"It's nice seeing Kritana again, but she's going to be occupied with a very nervous Phil all night," I laugh picturing Phil's shakey expression. A tap on my shoulder pulls my attention to Ranboo. 

"Look at Jade," he whispers. I glance around the room trying to find the girl. 

The three of us eye the bachelorette as she looks down on a young man. He appeared to have war medals on his lapel, he must have been a part of the rebellion. 

"He was one of the soldiers I trained in L'Manburg," Tubbo mutters confirming my suspicions. The young man says something with a too-wide smile and scratches the back of his neck shyly. He seemed sweet but Jade only smirked. She says something with a devilish grin that makes the man blush before turning away. 

"Low blow," Ranboo scrunched up his nose. 

"Nasty," Tubbo says. 

"Playing had to get," Techno adds. 

"Wow, and you all said I was into matchmaking," I tease. The three boys voice their various complaints making me laugh more. Whilst they watch Jade, I let my eyes skip between the small pods of people looking for one person in particular. I sigh as the song changes before I can spot him. 

"What's wrong?" Ranboo notices my withdrawn look. 

"I wanted to dance with Dream... But I can wait if he's busy," I say. I will wait for him, that was true enough. I couldn't help but miss him even though he had only been absent for the day. I guess I wanted to spend the night with him as well as all my friends. 

"Well, if he's too busy to dance, I'm not," Techno clears his throat with a sly smile and holds out a hand to me. I smile at him knowing that this is his way of trying to cheer me up. 

I take his hand and we head onto the floor to dance. It was a group dance, so we weren't waltzing alone. The tune from the band was upbeat and had a rhythm that made you want to tap along. Despite being right next to other guests, it didn't stop Techno from pointing out some of the more ridiculous outfits in the room. I struggle to remember the steps to the dance as Techno points out a lady whose hair looked like glass from all the hairspray she had used. He chuckles when I point out a gentleman who had stuffed all manners of treats into his pockets like stones. There was even a stain at the bottom of his right pocket to prove it. 

As the dance finishes, I notice Drista approaching the two of us. We wave welcoming her to the floor. 

"Y/N, may I steal you for a dance?" she jokes and Technoblade casts me a mocking salute before disappearing. Drista and I take one another's hands and slip into the rhythm of the next song. 

"Have you seen Dream?" she asks me. I hear something tucked behind her voice but I can't place it. 

"No, I haven't, have you?"

"Fucking hell," she swears instead of answering my question. 

"What's wrong?"

"Sorry that my brother's being a little bitch," she rolls her eyes. "Look at you! All polished and shiny for tonight and I bet you haven't seen him since we arrived."

"What's going on?" Drista wouldn't usually be this angry with her brother. Usually, we'd laugh and probably go eat something or go riding instead of fussing over whatever he was doing. 

"Don't worry about it," her expression morphs instantly and she puts away whatever thoughts she had been thinking. "I'll talk to Dream, you just enjoy your night."

The dance ends before I can ask what's bothering her. So I nod and she strides off into the crowds nodding to guests as she goes. I purse my lips and leave the floor too, heading in no particular direction. 

Dream had been off all day. When we spoke tonight, at first he was fine until I mentioned how I hadn't seen him at all. Everywhere I've seen him he's been flanked by George and Sapnap. He was anxious and dodging any explanation I asked for. If something's wrong why won't he just tell me?

"Y/N!" I startle when two hands grip my shoulders. I spin around and Tommy's there with a concerned expression and his hands held up in surrender. 

"Woah, chill! I called your name like a hundred times," Tommy says. I hadn't heard a thing. 

"Sorry," I mumble still not quite feeling like I'm back in the room. 

"Are you alright?" he asks. I shake my head trying to bring myself back with a smile. 

"It's nothing, don't worry about me," I say. Tommy frowns knowing me too well to take that as an explanation. 

"It's your night woman, you should be enjoying yourself," he points out. I take a breath and decide that the room is far too full for me to think properly. 

"I just need some air."

"Come on then, I'll join you. The weird fish food on those trays is shit anyways."

Tommy and I slip out the side door of the ballroom into a dimly lit hallway. It was good that we knew the layout of the castle, if we didn't we would have been lost. Tommy pushes the glass doors open to the balcony and I'm hit by the chilly autumn air. I close my eyes and let it sink into my skin. 

In the distance, I could hear the white noise of trees blowing in the breeze. Autumn had chased off all the evening bugs so there were no cicadas or fireflies or frogs hiding in the nooks and crannies of the palace gardens. I open my eyes and feel like the world looks a little rosier. The lanterns lighting the balcony seemed to be hazy and soft and the marble glistens in a way that it didn't before. I walk over and lean my elbows on the cold stone. The stars twinkle dimly here compared to how they do at home. Living in the middle of nowhere had its perks. 

Lights glow from distant houses of the SMP and although we couldn't hear the celebrations I knew the townsfolk would be overjoyed. I imagine them dancing and playing music and singing and clapping. Meeting new people and sharing stories... It reminded me of my village. 

An attendant comes out from the ballroom with a tray of champagne. Tommy and I don't pass up the chance for a drink, although I don't miss how Tommy's nose crinkles at the bubbling alcohol. 

"Did you know," Tommy breaks the silence. "That today is the day that we came to the SMP and found Wilbur and joined L'Manburg?" 

I pause trying to remember. It couldn't be... Could it? We did come in autumn. Surely it hasn't been a whole year.

"I can't believe it," I say. Tommy hums and adjusts his cuffs, he definitely wasn't used to dressing up. 

"I counted the days, it's been a whole year-"

"What's up?" We turn as Tubbo closes the glass doors holding a champagne glass. I frown but Tommy just laughs. 

"Did you fill a champagne glass with soda?" I breathe feeling relieved that Tubbo wasn't drinking alcohol. It wasn't that he couldn't drink it, just that, like Schlatt, he was drawn to the stuff. We had spoken about it before and Tubbo was determined to never drink the foul liquid again. 

"No actually! A waiter was carrying a tray full of glasses. Couldn't help myself," he chuckles and stands on my other side. The hair ruffles his long fringe brushing it out of his eyes. 

"Did you know it's been a year, Tubbo?" Tommy says. 

"Since what?"

"Since we came to the SMP?"

"Shut up."

"I'm serious!" Tommy laughs again. Tubbo shakes his head and looks towards the city with us. A beat passes. 

"I can't believe that," he finally says. 

"Me neither," I say smiling. Tommy starts chuckling for no particular reason. 

"Fucking hell, look at us now," he mumbles. Tubbo and I start chuckling with him. 

I look to the boys on either side of me, neither of them boys anymore. They had seemed so young when I first saw them. Cowered against one another, Tubbo was too injured to speak to me. They looked like children. It was only in the morning that I saw how big they were. Even then, they felt so much younger than they do now. 

"A lot has changed," I hum in agreement with Tubbo. 

"Do you remember the first time we saw the van? Y/N, you couldn't understand how 'hto dog' was funny and Tubbo and I couldn't stop laughing," Tubbo and Tommy laugh at my misunderstanding of the humour. 

"It didn't make any sense! I didn't even know what I was supposed to be reading!" I protest only making them laugh harder. I can't help but join in. 

"Or how Y/N destroyed our times on the training course! The one in the forest?" Tubbo nudges me and I roll my eyes. 

"I was so pissed that you beat me," Tommy says. 

"It's not my fault you guys are bad," I tease. It was their turn to protest me now. 

"Do you two remember when Wilbur made the declaration of independence in front of the entire country?" I wheeze still recovering from our laughter. As our laughter slows the air fills with a slight sense of melancholy. 

"I'd never been more ecstatic in my life," Tommy says still smiling. 

"I miss those days sometimes," Tubbo admits. 

"I do too," I say. "But I wouldn't trade what I have now for anything."

Tubbo looks up at me smiling. The scar on his face was a constant reminder of what he couldn't erase in his past. A part of him I'm not sure he'll ever be able to fully accept. But it was a sign of his bravery and his loyalty too. 

"Me neither," Tommy says. We go quiet again and I feel Tubbo shift nervously. I feel something new in his energy, something he had forgotten and suddenly remembered. 

"Have you seen Dream?" he asks me forcing a nonchalant tone. I'm left with the feeling I had talking to Drista, like I was missing part of a puzzle. 

"I haven't, I'm starting to worry about him," I say honestly. Whether I knew something or not, Tommy and Tubbo are my best friends. I'll confide in them if I need to. 

"Why?" Tubbo asks a bit too quickly. 

"Because I've never seen him like this! It's freaking me out."

"Y/N you've got to chill out. You know he loves you, fuck it the whole world knows he loves you," Tommy jumps in. I sigh knowing what he says is true but it does nothing to calm my nerves. 

"I know but I'm still worried." Suddenly, the peace we had found here was gone. 

"Let's go inside, it's cold out here," Tubbo says pushing off the balcony and heading to the door. I wanted to stay outside but the goosebumps on my arms didn't agree with me. 

I follow the boys inside. Everybody in the room seemed to have a partner for the evening. I spot Jade still talking to the same boy from earlier who now looked a lot calmer. Niki and Puffy were hanging onto each other trying to stay upright as they laughed. Even Techno was talking to a group of women, although I doubt he was enjoying himself from the look on his face. 

Tubbo waves spotting Ranboo and we make our way to him. We've barely started talking when the band changes its tone and a slow song starts to play. 

"Tubbo, how do you feel about dancing?" Ranboo jokes making Tubbo laugh. They link arms and join the floor in the waltz. I chuckle noticing how Tubbo gets it wrong on purpose and Ranboo starts picking on him. A stranger would be able to tell that they're best friends. A few couples over I can see Phil dancing with Kritana. Both of them seemed equally smitten with one another as they spin around gracefully. I'm so glad I asked her to come tonight. 

"For fuck's sake," I look at Tommy wondering why he's swearing. "Even the boys can pick up more girls than I can."

I giggle when I spot the boys dancing on the side of the dancefloor with Michelle and Ting. I don't miss the pink and yellow roses tucked behind the girls' ears and Shroud and Michael's wide grins. 

"Tommy go find yourself a girl, there are so many here!" I try to egg him on but he shrugs. 

"I'll pass, women are scary," I can't help but laugh. 

My gaze flits around the ballroom warmly. But I feel everything in me freeze when I spot Dream. Tommy notices too and steps back as Dream approaches. 

"Hey..." Dream trails off and I don't think I've ever wished for that mask to disappear more. This is so fucking awkward, I want to go back to the balcony for oxygen. 

"Hi?" I say back but my voice squeaks horribly. It takes a second for the two of us to crack up laughing. 

"I'm sorry for being gone all night," he says as we stop laughing. As much as I want an explanation, I know if Dream wants to tell me, he will. 

"It's ok, you're here now," I spot Sapnap and George whispering and watching us as we talk. They really were children sometimes, but it also added to my suspicion. Something weird is going on and it has something to do with me. 

"Would you like to dance?" Dream holds out his hand sheepishly. I don't force back my relieved smile. 

"Yes."

We're met with some applause as we take to the floor. I pull a face not understanding why, it probably has something to do with how Dream used to be king. Dream takes my hand gently and holds my waist in the other. We melt together like wax figures and dance in perfect synch. We knew this dance like the back of our hands, mainly because Drista had dragged us to the castle so many times to practice. I let Dream pull me in closer and feel a familiar flutter in my heart and silence from the voices that fill me with peace. 

My happiness is disrupted when I spot George and Sapnap struggling to dance with one another nearby. I look around again and spot Drista dancing with a very confused Tommy. 

"Do you think people have been acting weird tonight?" I ask Dream. I feel a familiar coldness fall off him like steam. 

"What do you mean?" he jumbles his words awkwardly. I feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I've missed something and nobody is telling me what it is...

"Have I done something wrong?" I ask. Dream's eyes widen and he pulls me in closer. I feel myself worry that I'll step on his toes and make whatever this is worse. 

"No no no no," he says and then lets out a stressed breath. "You've done nothing wrong, I'm just having an off day."

Dream brings back his usual deep voice. The one I was familiar with and that I knew held only the truth. It was reassuring but I still feel confused. 

"Are you sure? Because if I've done something wrong I can fix it-"

"Y/N stop. You are the most beautiful, caring and smartest person I've ever met and I love you so much." 

The sudden onslaught of compliments felt weird but the way Dream said them wasn't. He made it feel normal, he made it feel right. I don't say anything back, I don't know what I would say if I did speak. I just smile up at him gratefully and let myself be taken away in the fairytale-like scene we danced in the middle of. 

"Do you remember the night before the war? We pledged our love to one another," Dream leans in sweetly making me chuckle a little bit. I remember thinking it was dramatic but looking back on it, we weren't being dramatic at all. 

"I remember," I say. I feel a slight tremble in Dream's hand and his aura lights up like a redstone circuit. Anticipation. 

"I would like to make a different sort of pledge to you," I cock my head to one side not understanding him. 

"What are you talking about?" I smile wondering what tricks he was up to. 

"I would like to pledge my life to you," he says with a tone smoother than butter. I'm too stunned to say anything. He doesn't owe me his life, what does he mean? Dream takes a deep nervous breath to steady himself. I swear I can feel his heartbeat through his chest. 

"Ever since you came into my life, I've been the happiest that I have ever been in a long time. I've never wanted to love or have loved someone as much as you make me love you," as he speaks he slows the two of us down so that we're no longer dancing. I glance around and realise that we're in the centre of the ballroom. 

When I look back to Dream my heart stops when I spot his hand behind his head at the buckle of his mask. It clicks and he slowly takes it off. The entire room is filled with whispers and mumbling of all kinds of gossip. I'm about to ask what he's doing but the look on his face stops all of my thoughts. 

His green eyes were filled with love and earnestness, every part of his face focused on me. I feel entranced. I can't help it when my hand reaches up and my thumb brushes over his scarred eye. His freckles which would seem boyish to so many only served to make me smile. 

"You saw past the mask," Dream's voice was barely more than a whisper but it sent chills down my spine. 

"You saw the person I had hidden away and reminded me of who I am. You bring out the best in me. You make me want to be the best person I possibly can be for you and for our future."

I'm unable to speak, unable to move or even breathe. It's only when Dream drops down onto one knee that I realise what's happening. He keeps hold of my hand, gently and between his. 

"I love you more than words will ever be able to describe," Dream reaches into his suit pocket and reveals something that makes me suck in a much-needed breath. 

A daisy. 

He places it in my hand. It reacts to my skin like a magnet. The stem extends into a beautiful vine that entangles mine and Dream's fingers. It runs up our wrists blooming more daisies like there's no tomorrow. It was the most beautiful magic I had ever seen. Formed entirely out of love. 

I put one hand over my mouth as my body shakes with a single sob. My bliss was overwhelming, forcing a bucket of emotions to overflow all at once. Relief that nothing bad had happened, realisation, happiness, joy, anticipation, anxiety and too many more to list. 

Dream plucks a single daisy from the vine and holds it out to me. I feel myself start to cry more when I see tears in the corners of his eyes. 

"Will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?"

There is no hesitation in my answer. 

"Yes!"

I collapse into his arms and let myself cry happily. Dream holds me closer than he'd ever held me before. A kind hand on the back of my neck and another on my lower back, my arms around his neck. We stay there for a moment trying to pull ourselves together, the applause in the room reminding us that we were surrounded by other people. 

Dream pulls back and smiles the biggest smile I'd ever seen. I'm sure I'm smiling just as wide. He leans in again and kisses away my tears making me laugh as I try to brush away his. I notice the daisy vine still on my wrist now weaving together like a bracelet as it reacts to my emotions. 

In my whole life, I don't think I'd ever been that happy before. That kind of uncontrollable joy is unique but also universal. Everybody can have it and deserves to find it. The happiness that only comes from vulnerability, from loving another person so entirely that you can't imagine your life with anybody else. A love that pushes and pulls, that you have to learn to balance and nurture as it grows from a seed to a sapling to a beautiful tree. 

Surrounded by all my friends, my family and the love of my life. I was finally free, wholly happy, carefree. 

1 year. 

That's how long it took me to be at peace again. 

~~~

Roll the credits :')

(Credits song: Could Have Been Me by The Struts)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

226K 6.9K 64
{Completed!} {First ever fanfiction, so it's really cringy and there are a lot of grammar mistakes, but that's what makes it old. (Like Philza Minecr...
281K 9.9K 45
Years after [Y/N] has stepped into her new home, it seems like she haves to leave again. On her way to protect her home, she meets a lot new people...
9.2K 257 15
When Y/N joins the Dream SMP, she and George seem to get along very well but what happens when Dream starts to catch feelings for his best friend's c...
41.1K 1.1K 19
"please will wake up. you can't leave me yet." the silence that followed only broke her heart more. wilbur soot x (fem) reader :) the story will rev...