Star Wars: Tears of Fire (Boo...

By pslavonik

|| SEQUEL TO THE 2021 WATTYS WINNER, Star Wars: The Great Awakening. || The battle may be over, but the war i... More

Star Wars: Tears of Fire // Book II (Trailer)
Book II: Part 1: Chapter 1 - Destroyer of Worlds
Chapter 2 - The Dead and the Lost
Chapter 3 - Desolation
Chapter 4 - Worlds Away
Chapter 5 - The Gathering Storm
Chapter 6 - Shadow of the Beast
Chapter 8 - Gather and Divide
Part 2: Chapter 9 - Friend or Foe
Chapter 10 - The Elder
Chapter 11 - Sun'ari
Chapter 12 - Thief in the Night
Chapter 13 - In the Dark, Never Alone
Chapter 14 - Trial of Death
Chapter 15 - A Glimpse Through Time
Chapter 16 - Limitless
Part 3: Chapter 17 - A New Version
Chapter 18 - Igniting a Dream
Chapter 19 - Dominion
Chapter 20 - The Ways of Old
Chapter 21 - Genesis of Light
Chapter 22 - To Victory or Death
Chapter 23 - An Old Enemy
Chapter 24 - Plea to the Mountain
Chapter 25 - March of the Atophi
Chapter 26 - Hammerfall
Chapter 27 - Eye for an Eye
Chapter 28 - The Return
Chapter 29 - A Legend Rises
Chapter 30 - Deceiver
Chapter 31 - Through Fire and Flame
Chapter 32 - Into the Void
From the Author

Chapter 7 - The Blade's Edge

52 8 2
By pslavonik

As the large vessel landed with a heavy thud upon the surface of Atophis, the heavier-than-expected impact caused the numerous occupants whom had reluctantly come back onboard to jump with surprise.

Now on the ground again, the whine of the engines powering down filled the air outside as the large ship stood tall just beside its nearly identical counterpart on the ground next to it.

Up front in the bridge of the Liberator, Hepka was on the radio speaking with an occupant from the other ship.

"Selvarian ship Retaliator, this is the Liberator. We've landed alongside and will meet you soon."

"Message received," replied an unfamiliar voice. "Opening exterior doors now."

Leaning over to Shayla, Zekiel uttered, "We've gotta give these things new names."

Shayla rolled her eyes at the comment.

"Has the Retaliator or whatever they call it been cleared of Trandoshans?" asked Ahza.

"Yes," replied Hepka. "The one I've been speaking to said they were originally getting slaughtered after they were freed but they were somehow able to turn the tide and defeat them."

"That seems odd," said Chen who was standing by the large viewport on the right side of the bridge. "How did they manage to do that?"

"One of the freed individuals is apparently a capable warrior," replied Hepka. "Or so they said. He supposedly rallied the survivors and mounted a successful counter offensive which defeated the Trandoshans."

"Or maybe with this heavy landing, we squashed the last Trandoshan who was trying to flee," Zekiel criticized.

"Hey!"

An irate voice spoke up as the small figure in the pilot's seat turned to face the group of individuals behind it.

"These things are made for flying and staying in orbit. Not for landing!"

The short creature waved three of its four short arms in the air for effect as the remaining arm reached up and swiped back a thin layer of gray hair on top of its head. One of its two ears which protruded horizontally from the top of its head twitched in response.

"Unless you think you can do it better—which I very much doubt—keep your vocalization hole shut!"

For a moment, everyone was silent and stood still as the small pilot figure slowly rotated its seat to face the front of the ship once again.

Zekiel—throwing his hands up in a dramatic and more than slightly sarcastic fashion—offered an inappropriate hand gesture in the pilot's general direction.

"I can see your reflection in the windscreen you know!" the pilot shouted.

"Whatever," growled Zekiel. "Let's get going to the supply ship. The Retaliator," he said mockingly. "What a stupid name for a supply ship!"

As all of the occupants on the bridge turned to leave, Shayla stayed behind with the pilot. After a moment, it was quiet in the bridge as the pilot began going through a series of processes.

"Do you mind if I ask what the name of your species is?" asked Shayla.

Without turning around, the pilot responded.

"I'm a Latero from the planet Lateron. Original, I know. Nothing like being a...well, whatever you are from...well, wherever we are now. Assuming you're actually from here, of course."

Shayla stepped closer in response.

"I'm a human and Atophis is what this planet is called. This is where I'm from."

This managed to cause the pilot to stop what he was doing and turn to face Shayla.

"Okay, human from Atophis. Look, I don't do fancy names and the such. I fly ships. That's about all I know. Okay and I'm pretty handy too."

"Are you now?" replied Shayla with a smile.

"Yes, that's what I just...hey. Hey, I see. I see what you did there."

The pilot chuckled as he waived his four hands in the air.

"Handy. See?"

Shayla could only chuckle back in response.

"I like you, human from Atophis," replied the pilot. "Hopefully the rest of your species is just as humorous."

"Call me Shayla."

Nodding, the pilot replied, "Call me Vess."

"Vess?"

"Yeah. Well, it's short for Vessalo Hydon'e which is then followed by a bunch of words and phrases your ears probably can't hear or understand," said Vess. "Do you have a last name, Shayla from Atophis?"

For a moment, Shayla was quiet as she thought back to what seemed like an ancient memory.

"Where I come from, everyone in my village shared a last name. It was a showing of unity in our tribe. So you could say my full name is Shayla Opachi."

"You all...share a last name?" asked Vess. "Well. That's not weird at all."

"It may be weird to some, but it's an honored tradition amongst our tribe. Since there are so few of us left now, it's even more sacred."

Vess lowered his head as if ashamed.

"Look, I'm sorry. I don't have any sacred traditions. Ever since I was taken by these banthas when I was just a kid, all I've ever known since is flying but you know what? You should keep those traditions. All of them. Write 'em down or something too."

"Write them down?"

"Yeah, you know. So they don't get lost or forgotten," replied Vess. "I mean, who knows how many of us will make it out of this mess. It's good to be a voice for those who can no longer speak, if you catch my drift."

Shayla nodded her head as she considered the thought.

"Not a bad idea," she replied.

"Plus," added Vess as he reached for a series of switches from the pilot's seat, "when you're the one writing the history book, you can put whatever you want in there."

"Like what?"

"I don't know. Make yourself important or something. Or tell a story about someone else who's important. It's up to you. I don't care."

After a moment of contemplation, Shayla continued.

"You know, I just may do that. Thank you Vess from Lateron."

Seemingly done with talking, Vess had since turned his attention back to his duties.

"You gonna come with us as we head over to the other ship?" asked Shayla as she took a few steps towards the exit of the bridge.

"This here's a good ship but she's old," replied Vess who was once again focused on a series of procedures. "If the engine shutdown sequence isn't done properly, let's just say our little trek to get to this location will be the last flight she takes for a while."

Not wanting to pry any further, Shayla figured she'd better catch up with the others.

"I'll leave you to it then. Don't go for any joy rides while we're away."

Vess huffed through his nose.

"Don't tempt me."

* * *

Shayla ran to catch up with Zekiel and the others, sprinting through the various halls of the now familiar ship. While doing so, she caught a few glimpses from various species she wasn't familiar with who'd all reluctantly come back on board the ship to make the journey to the second vessel.

After the trauma they suffered upon being freed from the control of the Xirus devices only to be targeted by the Trandoshan overlords, their hesitation to step back onto the very ship they'd been enslaved on was understandable.

As Zekiel said to all who were gathered at the time, it was completely their choice whether they came back aboard or not. They were now free to live their lives as they saw fit.

Still, many of the hundreds of survivors were convinced that staying together was to their benefit. Not all shared that mindset, however. A few remained behind hoping to setup new lives for themselves amongst the vast wilderness of Atophis.

Now that the vessel was on the ground again, there were more than a few individuals who were eager to disembark from the ship once again.

As Shayla worked her way through the hordes of people, she finally caught up with Zekiel and the others just as they were exiting through the rear of the ship via a large loading ramp.

"Making a new four-armed friend, I see?" asked Zekiel.

"Actually yes," she replied. "A little bit of manners and politeness can go a long way. Not that you'd know anything about that."

"In that, you are correct," Zekiel chuckled as he flashed a impudent grin.

As the group exited the ship, they noticed a vast number of people gathering outside both of the ships. From their vantage point, they noticed many of the individuals hugging as several were able to find others of their own species. Even so, the level of joy they witnessed was enough to make them feel good about their decision to bring the ship to this location.

"All we need is some music and we can have ourselves a party!" smiled Zekiel.

Shayla could only roll her eyes.

"Do you take anything seriously?" she asked.

"Yeah but not much," uttered Zekiel as he proceeded down the ramp. "Life's too short to take everything so seriously."

"I just don't think this is a good idea. Having both of the ships in the open, I mean," Shayla pondered, following Zekiel and the others off the ship.

"It's not permanent," replied Zekiel. "We just need to get a plan together. Then we can figure what the next steps are."

"I guess that's good enough for...hey," paused Shayla as she noticed something just beyond the nearby tree line. "What's going on over there?"

As both Shayla and Zekiel looked a ways into the distance, they spotted what looked like two individuals in the woods.

"I mean it's been a while for some," Zekiel joked. "Maybe they met that special someone and just couldn't wait."

Rolling her eyes once again, Shayla noticed that one of the individuals was pacing back and forth as if in distress.

"It's probably nothing but I'm gonna go check it out just to make sure no one needs help or anything."

"I'll go with you."

"What, you don't trust me?" asked Shayla.

"Oh I trust you just fine. It's just that maybe the sight of a stranger wielding a sword across her back while sporting dried blood stains from a Trandoshan she recently slayed may not come across as welcoming to most," replied Zekiel as he and Shayla headed towards the individuals in the woods. "That and sometimes you don't have the best tact."

"Tact?"

"Yeah, tact! It comes in handy when dealing with others in sensitive situations."

"I'm sorry, didn't you just tell off the pilot back on the bridge?"

"No! Well, I didn't tell him off. The little guy snapped at me first so it was justified."

As they walked, Shayla felt her eyes go through an all too familiar movement.

"I feel like I'm getting permanent eye damage for how many times they roll whenever you speak."

"You'll get used to it. It's not like we've got much..."

"Shhh!" interrupted Shayla as voices could suddenly be heard coming from ahead.

Slowly, Zekiel and Shayla crouched down and hid themselves behind nearby trees as they began to overhear a conversation.

Looking ahead, they'd come upon the two they'd initially sought. Inching their way closer, they were now able to make out a few additional details of the individuals.

One individual was on its knees facing them. She looked older although it was tough to tell from this distance. The green skin on her face was wet with tears around her eyes and her matted black hair was in a mess. Even from this distance, however, both Shayla and Zekiel noticed her stunning purple eyes.

The other individual had its back turned to them as it paced before the woman. The dark cloak it wore covered many of its features as the individual began speaking again.

"There's no shame in the act. I can make it quick for you. There will be no pain," said the cloaked figure as he slowly paced in front of the woman.

"I feel so responsible," she cried, her head falling into her hands as she wept. "I feel as if all of this pain and suffering is my fault!"

"If you seek an end to your suffering, I will aid you in your journey."

A moment passed as the woman appeared to consider the offer.

"But maybe I could help these people. Surely I can help in some other way, right?"

The male stopped in front of her.

"There is no way to help them. They may be free for the moment but how long do you think that will last? The enemy will return. Rest assured they are more than likely already on their way. And when they do get here, whose side would you rather be on? The side of power and might or that of insignificance and despair?"

"Perhaps I...I shouldn't be on anyone's side. But is this the right thing to do?"

"There is no right or wrong," replied the cloaked individual. "There is only what you feel you must do."

"I...don't think I can continue. Not with this burden I've brought upon these people."

"Then allow me to help you."

Upon hearing the descending conversation, Shayla ultimately knew where it was going and she'd heard enough.

Standing and stepping out into the open, she shouted.

"STOP!"

At once, the male whipped around to face her while also drawing a sword from within his cloak. The single motion was done with lightning fast reflexes and efficiency.

Though not nearly as refined as the action of the individual in front of them, both Shayla and Zekiel drew their weapons in response.

"Who are you?" asked the cloaked man.

"Invaders from space," Zekiel replied sarcastically as he waved his two blasters at the individual. "And who might you be?"

"I am Seth," said the man with a cold but stern voice as he held his defensive stance. His face was now visible enough for Shayla and Zekiel to see he was human. "Might I ask why you are sneaking around like thieves in the night?"

"Why are you trying to push this woman off the edge of her life?" asked Shayla as she held her sword out in front of her.

"I am no murderer," Seth casually replied. "I am merely offering her a path. It is up to her to accept."

"Please!" shouted the woman from behind Seth. "No more killing! Lower your weapons!"

An awkward moment of silence followed as the three individuals waited to see who would move.

"You first," Zekiel motioned with his blasters towards Seth.

After a moment, the tension surrounding them subsided as Seth relented, sheathing his sword in a scabbard attached to his right side.

Shayla and Zekiel slowly followed suit, the latter doing an elaborate flourish as he spun both of his blaster pistols before holstering them.

Taking a few steps to her left, Shayla looked at the woman who was still on her knees behind Seth and noticed the tears in her eyes more clearly.

"What is your name?"

Lifting her eyes to see Shayla standing several meters away, the woman replied through her sobs.

"I am Kyriss. We...look similar but I am what is called a Mirialan."

Stepping closer to Kyriss, Shayla moved slowly.

"And where do you come from, Kyriss?"

A pause followed as Kyriss appeared in deep thought before she replied, "I don't remember. It's been so long since I was taken. I don't remember what my mother or father looked like. I don't even remember the sound of my little sister's voice before she was taken as well. And now, I've become one of the instruments in their evil purpose!"

Kneeling down beside her, Shayla asked, "What do you mean?"

"The Xirus devices," she sobbed, "I was one of the scientists who helped create it!"

A heavy weight landed on both Shayla and Zekiel as they realized the magnitude of what Kyriss was involved in.

"You can't blame yourself for that," contended Zekiel. "All of us here know what it's like to be a controlled by those freaks. We weren't ourselves. We may never be able to forget the things we did but now we are free. Now, the choices we make moving forward are our own."

"That's the thing," Kyriss admitted. "I did this before any sort of control was established.

"I did this freely."

Shayla held her gaze for a moment, unsure of how to respond. Feeling her stomach tighten up inside of her, she felt a terrible anger rising up within her.

"You...helped create these things?" she asked, placing her fingers on the very edge of the device still attached to the back of her neck.

"Yes but not for the cause they are used for now. We were told they were to be used on criminals. To keep them from trying to escape, from harming others. They would be used as a safe labor force as part of their sentence," Kyriss exclaimed. "At least, that's what we were told."

Kyriss was visibly shaking as her eyelids shut, seemingly recalling numerous memories at once.

"Every time I close my eyes, I see the faces of those we tested these hideous devices on. Those poor souls who will forever be nameless. They died—all of them...thousands of them—until this device was completed.

"I...did this. By the time the other scientists and I discovered the horrible truth of its true purpose, it was too late."

Sensing the regret in Kyriss' voice, Shayla noticed that she too was wearing a device on the back of her neck; a captive held in slavery by the very device she helped create.

"But why would they send you on one of these expeditions or whatever they call it?"

"A scientist travels with every expeditionary team," Kyriss added. "Should a complication arise regarding its adaption to a newly discovered species, we would be able to modify the Xirus for maximum efficiency."

The anger within Shayla remained but she felt it being redirected. Not towards the poor soul in front of her, but towards those who came to her world. Those who envisioned such a device and deceived other into creating it.

She took a deep breath before speaking again.

"Whatever you did," Shayla confessed, "it was done in the past."

"But I'll never be able to be free from this!" Kyriss lamented. "And...I want to be free."

"If you truly want to be free," replied Shayla, "you should dedicate yourself to helping those around us."

"But how? After all that I've done! And what if people find out who I am and..."

"These people need help!" shouted Shayla. "YOUR help! Now more than ever, this life—this second chance we've all been given—is worth living and fighting for. Yes, there is loss. There is tragedy and despair all around us. There are those who linger and those who wander alone in the wilderness but there is also love, joy and renewal! Even though some of us have lost everything, we still have each other to cling to. If we aid each other in this dark time—if we put the needs of others before our own—then we truly have something better than what we had before. Is that not worth living for?"

For a moment, Kyriss sat in silence as she contemplated Shayla's words.

"I just don't think I can continue after all that I've done," she said.

Moving closer and placing her hand on Kyriss' shoulder, Shayla replied, "Neither can I. That's why we can't do this alone. We need each other."

Shayla stood to her feet as Kyriss looked up at her.

"For too long, your knowledge has been used for evil. Take what you've learned and use it for good. But whatever you do, don't give in.

"Don't give up."

Shayla extended her hand towards Kyriss. After a brief moment of hesitation, Kyriss reached out and grabbed Shayla's hand as the latter helped pull her up to her feet.

After taking a deep breath, Kyriss looked towards Shayla. "Thank you for this. I will never forget the kindness you showed me."

"The others are amassing outside of the two ships just through the clearing in the trees," commented Zekiel. "Do you need any help getting there?"

"No, thank you. I think I will be fine," replied Kyriss. Turning towards the dark cloaked figure who'd been a silent watcher for the past several minutes, Kyriss held his gaze for a moment before turning and heading towards the landing area.

Seth regarded her in silence. For the next few moments, the remaining three figures stood in an awkward moment. Once Kyriss was out of earshot, Seth turned towards Shayla and spoke again.

"Your passion is admirable but also misdirected. We should be focusing on the greater picture, not the few who believe they have outlived their usefulness."

"And your advice is both misplaced and unwanted," Shayla fired back. "If we don't focus on the few, there is no greater picture."

Her response hung in the air for a moment.

"You never answered my question," replied Seth. "Who are you?"

Shayla had to take a quick but deep breath to compose herself.

"I'm Shayla and this is Zekiel," the former replied. "We're both survivors from the invasion."

Seth regarded them as he took a few steps to his right.

"Then I guess that makes us allies, does it not?"

Zekiel scoffed at the question. Before he could fire a response back, Shayla interjected.

"That remains to be seen. I can see that you are human; One of us. What tribe are you from?"

Seth, lowering his head, began to pace before Shayla and Zekiel.

"The tribes are lost," he replied. "What difference does it make now?"

"Remembering our lineage is important, doubly so in these times. We cannot forget who we are. This is our history."

"My tribe is of little consequence," Seth asserted. "The invaders came, they seized me and the rest—as you say—is history."

"Well," Zekiel interjected, hoping to break up what had now become a boring conversation, "I suppose we should all get back to the ships."

"Yes, of course," Seth added, giving a slight bow as he spoke again. "Until next time."

Slowly, Seth turned and headed back towards the ships.

Now alone together, Shayla and Zekiel waited until Seth was beyond the trees before speaking again.

"Impressive!" expressed Zekiel, "Most impressive. You talked our green friend off of the edge and gave our cloaked friend something to think about."

"There's something off about him," Shayla noted. "I can't quite place it."

"At this point, it's safe to say there's something off about all of us," muttered Zekiel.

Shayla allowed a few thoughts to give rise to several questions but mentally stored them away for another time.

"It's nothing. Let's get back to the others. It looks like they're all gathering together."

Just as they set off again, Shayla added, "How's that for tact?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 101 8
I do not own Star Wars, all rights belong to George Lucas and Disney. I only own the OC and this story. A Star Wars Fanfiction The Galactic Republic...
54.2K 3K 89
| WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS 2021 SHORTLIST | Like a moth to the flame, Amy finds herself drowning in Jake's chaos, and it doesn't even make sense how she'...
6.6K 1K 37
❖ Interstellar pilot and ex-adventurer Alex Gallegos must keep their team safe on an icy moon as sentient storms threaten to repeat the tragedy that...
831 37 8
Dark and light. Sith and Jedi fill the sides. Eternally locked in battle. One that is once more being fought. What will happen as a shadow of the pas...