Before It's Too Late

By EastCoastPinay

Avery trusted her heart to a man who promised her forever. When he betrays her trust, should she stay and reb... More

WARNING
AUTHOR's NOTE
BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE
DEDICATION
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
EPILOGUE
ENLIGHTENMENT||BONUS CHAPTERS
TURNING THE PAGE
HEALING AND LETTING GO
TRUE LOVE IS NEVER LATE
SHELLY & ART

CHANGING THE NARRATIVE

5.9K 188 24
By EastCoastPinay

TWO YEARS, AVERY WHISPERED to herself. That's how long since she stepped last at the same Charlotte airport. Of course, it was years ago, but she remembered everything like it was yesterday.

In the same cafe, her parents were sipping their favorite coffee. She smiled, seeing the sparkle in their eyes. Their excitement showed as they giggled, watching people walking back and forth from the table where they were sitting.

When Avery looked around, everything seemed the same but felt different. She knew why. The last time she was here, she was broken. Her life was at a crossroads. Her heart was in pain, moving away to let go. It was the same with her parents. They felt her pain, yet they stood beside her. If someone had told her two years ago, she'd be standing in the same spot, unbroken, happy, and grateful; she wouldn't have believed it. Instead, she would have broken down in tears and wallowed in self-pity and hopelessness.

But honestly, life is a never-ending mystery. Her heart was overflowing with joy. She didn't realize tears were slowly falling down her cheeks. As she wiped her tears, a pair of small hands planted on her leg.

"Thomas!" Ella's voice boomed.

"Ella, Princess, stop running!" Ethan's was louder.

When Avery looked behind her, a screaming Thomas was clenching her leg. Then, with a chuckle, Ella ran toward them. Ethan followed with a baby bag on his shoulder. Avery's smile said it all. Though everything seemed the same but felt different, the reason was in front of her: her family.

My family, she repeated to herself as she scooped two-year-old Thomas in her arm. When Ella reached them, she hugged her on her other arm and kissed her hair. All three of them grinned and giggled. 

The moment Ethan came to them, he pecked Avery on the lips. Then, gently, he wiped a lone tear on her cheek with his thumb. "What happened, my love?" Avery shook her head and brushed her lips softly over Ethan's. "I'm just so happy. I can't believe my life has changed since the last time I was here. Tears of joy!" Ethan caressed her cheek. "You deserve all the happiness in the world." When Avery mouthed thank you, he kissed her on the forehead. Thomas and Ella's giggles stopped their moment.

Avery took the baby bag from her husband as the other took the little boy from her arm. "How was the diaper change?" she teased Ethan.

"It was a success!" Ethan rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't miss it for the world!" he remarked.

Ella pouted. "I helped Dad. He's not as good as you, Mom."

The couple laughed at Ella's statement. "Well, thanks for the compliment, Princess!" Ethan reacted. When Thomas pointed to where his grandparents were and started babbling and clapping, they all walked towards the cafe.

***

"Are you sure you don't want to stay here with the kids and your parents?" Mama T asked as Avery and Ethan said goodbye.

Avery shook her head. "Ethan has a timeshare and hasn't used it for a while. So we're going to use it for some alone time."

Mama T nodded. "Thank you for bringing Thomas to us. We thought we might not see our grandson this time since David is still in Thailand."

"We wouldn't do that to you guys. Your grandson needs you. It's also a good time for you guys to bond together. But are you sure it's fine for Ella to stay? We can take her and leave the nanny with Thomas and our parents." Ethan asked.

"Of course, it's fine. We love Ella. Besides, I don't think she will leave her brother and grandparents." Mama T tapped Ethan on the shoulder. "Go, you guys. Enjoy Boston, and don't worry about the kids. They're in expert hands! You can have the car and the driver for yourselves for as many days as you want to."

Avery hugged Mama T. "I don't think we need it downtown. We'll send him back once we get to the hotel and call him whenever we need a ride. But I don't think so."

"Ok then. See you again. Enjoy your alone time, and we will enjoy our time here, too." Mama T waved goodbye as the couple got in the car.

On their drive, Avery noticed the route they were taking was different. "We're going to the Four Seasons on Boylston Street," she told the driver.

Ethan took her hand and kissed it. "We need to stop by somewhere."

Avery's eyes widened when the car parked in front of a familiar building. A smile formed on her lips. She faced Ethan, looking for an answer.

Ethan winked at her. "Art texted me to pick up something for Shelly. I realized we had brought nothing for them. And I assumed you would want to taste the coffee and pastries here. So I won't let you miss the chance, my love!"

When Ethan exited the car and opened her door, she felt her heart pounding. Seeing the cafe's signage gave her mixed emotions. It wasn't just a place for her favorite coffee and pastries. The small building witnessed almost all the significant events in her Boston life. When she took Ethan's hand and stood in front of the cafe, everything flashed back to her—both happy and sad moments.

She saw her eight-year-old self meeting Shelly for the first time. Their mothers shared a table on that busy Monday afternoon. Everything clicked from then. Both their mothers realized their little girls attended the same class in school. All four women formed a long, tested, and unbreakable friendship.

It was their go-to place. The four corners of the small box space heard all their secrets and giggles from when they were in grade school to college. It was her and Shelly's safe and happy place. But it was also their crying place. They shared all their heartaches, problems, and tears in the same spot. The cafe stood their friendship as she and Shelly's friendship stood the test of time.

She sauntered when Ethan touched her shoulder and motioned for them to enter. When they entered the door and saw her favorite spot, she remembered her talk with Mama T the last time. The memory was enough to bring back another moment, her life with David.

It did not surprise her when Ethan told her to pick a booth as he went toward the counter to order. For sure, her husband already got info from her best friend about what her favorite drink and pastry were. After placing her jacket on the chair at her favorite table, she walked toward the picture board. Like before, her eyes darted to where her and David's engagement picture was pinned.

Her lips curved into a small smile. She placed her palm on her chest. The feeling she was having was so much different from the last time. There was no pain, no more aches. "You look so young there," Ethan whispered as she felt his arms wrapped around her waist from behind. Slowly, Avery covered his arms with hers. She held him tight. "Did I?" she asked while slowly tracing Ethan's face.

"You do. But you look more beautiful now than in that picture." She felt Ethan's lips on the crook of her neck. Immediately, she faced him and placed a soft kiss on his lips. Ethan moaned. "I so much enjoy what we're doing right now. But I don't think the next scene in my mind is good for public viewing." They both laughed and walked toward their table. Once they were seated, the server brought their order.

Before the server could leave, Ethan asked for their picture to be taken using his phone camera. From behind, he embraced Avery as they flashed their radiant smiles at the camera. When the server asked if they wanted their picture printed and pinned on the board, they both said yes. Then, via blue tooth, the server helped them send the image to the cafe's printer.

Avery couldn't help but grin as they both enjoyed their coffee. Ethan gazed at her in wonder. "What?" she asked. "Why are you staring at me like that, Dr. James?" She giggled, awaiting his answer.

Ethan held her hand and brought it to his lips without removing his gaze. "I'm thinking, how else can I make you this happy? You deserve all the love and joy in this world."

Avery's eyes glistened. She clasped her fingers on his. "You always make me happy. You unbroke and completed me. Being here brought back memories, happy and sad. But right now, having you here made me feel so thankful. We are together, our family... our life now. It's a testament. Even though my past was painful and heartbreaking, hope never left me. My past didn't define my present and will surely never define our future."

Ethan started tracing her face from her eyebrows, nose, cheeks, jaw, and lips. Avery kissed his knuckles when his fingers reached the side of her mouth. When their eyes locked, they whispered, I love you, to each other. Suddenly, the server they didn't realize was standing near their booth cleared his throat. Avery chuckled when Ethan smirked. They got two copies of their printed picture. One for the board and one for them to keep. Once they were done with their coffee, hands held, they returned to the picture board.

Ethan gave the picture and the pin to Avery. "Do the honors, Mrs. James." He brushed his lips over hers. Then, without thinking twice, Avery hand-pinned their picture on top of hers and David's engagement photo. With Ethan's chin on her neck, she whispered, "That's the best spot! To remind me that even though my past was not what I expected it to be, my present and future are and will never be like my past. That's because I have you, and I'm with you!"

***

* Go laugh in the places you have cried. Change the narrative. - anonymous

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

47K 1.8K 47
✅ Complete ✅ When Campbell Kramer accepted a job offer in Manhattan, she never could've imagined what the city had in store for her. Namely, two hand...
132K 6.7K 40
A Featured Wattpad Romance, Wattpad New Adult, and Wattpad Psychological Novel (triggering romance) **November 3, 2019: 1st place Winner of romance c...
28K 2.6K 51
WRITTEN BY SOFIA VITORATOS ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 💡Fictionalized under true facts 💡 🛑*MATURE CONTENT*🛑 [PUBLISHING] 🏆1st Place in Chicklit by The...
29.6K 1.7K 27
|| Wattpad Featured || The Amby Awards Romance Winner ❤️ The perfect man just proposed and what was my answer? NO. Why? I'm too scared to get my hea...