The Mark of Love & War [HOLD]

Per Misguided

Two years have passed since The Decision. Two years was all it took for everything to change. Fallen Angels... Més

The Mark of Love & War.
Chapter 1 - Old Friend
Chapter 2 - Welcome to Las Vegas!
Chapter 3 - Meet Ron
Chapter 4 - Forgive or Forget?
Chapter 5 - The Start
Chapter 6 - Past Lives
Chapter 7 - Time Doesn't Change a Thing
Chapter 8 - Pure Intentions
Chapter 9 - Daydreaming
Chapter 10 - Antonia Mendoza
Chapter 11 - Waterfall
Chapter 12 - The Fall
Chapter 13 - First Reincarnation
Chapter 14 - Contact
Chapter 15 - Cassiel's Ball
Chapter 16 - A Moment
Chapter 17 - Fire Burns
Chapter 18 - The Elders'
Chapter 19 - A Verdict
Chapter 20 - Day 1: Goodbye
Chapter 21 - Day 2: Memories & Lessons
Chapter 22 - Day 6: Coping Mechanism
Chapter 23 - Day 10: Before The Ball
Chapter 25 - Remember?

Chapter 24 - The Ball

10.3K 430 49
Per Misguided

Recap:

Zircah - that asshole Elder. Kerbuic angels - translated from enochian is "The Strong Ones." important angels. Brooke - (from the first novel) the teacher. Joseph and Elizabeth - (main characters from the first novel) Gabriel's cover parents.

The Dancer by Christopher Ferrei is the hypnotising piece Lonny plays on the piano.

__________________

Chapter 24

The Ball

My eyes travelled ceremoniously across the cloud like dress I was adorned in - and I use that term lightly because I wasn't willing to wear it. It was, without a doubt frighteningly beautiful but it was too tight for comfort. I smoothed my hands along the white ruffling fabric at my waist and upward along the lace clinging to my upper waist and bust. If it weren't for the situation, I would probably love it. But of course, when did I ever feel the need to agree with anyone here?

"Alexis, we're late."

Smiling, I caught Fey's eye in the mirror and said, "I know."

"We're late to your ball."

"Well the party won't start then will it? And besides we're only late by ten minutes. We're only missing people walking in. And I'm almost done anyway let me just put this stupid crown on."

Fey walked further into the room shaking her head and I narrowed my eyes at the box in her hands. "You're not wearing that one tonight."

"What do you mean that one?" I said slowly backing away from her as if she were about to pull a rat out of the box. "What's that?"

"Your crown for tonight. Here,"

And as soon as she pulled it out I grimaced. "Please no."

"It's barely any different from the one you where every other day."

"It's.... it's bigger and it's gold now. Plus they really complete my bands don't they?" I grumbled glancing at my forearms.

"Barely and because it has to be and sure why not." She said placing it on my head. "There. Now we can go, come on before I get into trouble."

With Fey yanking on my hand I glanced at my reflection one last time, moving my braided hair over my shoulder, and followed her out. Fey looked gorgeous though in her cute floor length cream gown. I refused to let her wear the same gowns as the other servient's at the ball and asked a dressmaker to make her something slightly similar to mine but in cream. The tailor didn't disappoint.

Making our way down to the Elder's Keep, Fey released my hand and started trailing behind me. The halls surround us were empty and silent and for some reason I suddenly became very, very nervous. Outside the large doors were guards, standing as still as the air around them.

"Um..." I hadn't been told much, only to come through these doors - like fifteen minutes ago, whoops - and walk through the middle whatever that meant. They must have redesigned the Keep for the ball.

Fey gave me a reassuring pat on my shoulder. "It'll be easy."

Will it, Fey? Will it?

The guards both moved to grab the door handles and I took the deepest of breaths and held it when they opened the doors.

Oh, wow. Changed The Keep was an understatement. They made it into a fairy tale. I couldn't take my eyes off the ceiling. Gold and white. Everything was gold and white. Lights, chandeliers, candles, murals whatever beautiful object you could imagine embellished the high ceilings and the walls. There were no longer pews aisled all the way across the vast hall but instead along the sides were circled tables and chairs and the middle of the hall was a floor tiled with a pattern I hadn't noticed before this day. Where the Elder's chairs were on that fateful sentencing day, were now angels playing instruments, their wings out curled around their bodies trembling along with the magnificent sounds emanating from their fingers and mouths.

I was too overwhelmed to let out my breath. Have you ever been so overwhelmed with beauty you've cried? That's exactly how I felt at this very moment. I'd never seen anything so... so-

"...Lonsa."

I blinked slowly back to my surroundings, directing my stare to Perses standing just to the side of me. Wonder how long he's been standing there. "Uh..."

"Beautiful, I know." He murmured in Enochian. "Sometimes I forget how human you are. This would be too much for a human."

"It's too much." I said trying to clear the choked feeling from my throat.

"Come. Everyone is waiting to meet you properly. You may have been admiring the room when they announced you. Fey, you may join the others."

"But-"

"Don't worry, Helena and I will be here for you."

Walking around the dance floor and through the throngs of angels, Persus led me with his hand on the small of my back. I smiled at his attire. His white knit trousers were baggy hanging from his hips. A gold and white heavy but silken robe hung over his shoulder that pinned across the other. His white almost golden curls hung loosely over his forehead. Glancing at another male Elder, it seemed this what they were meant to wear.

Many angels greeted me with a nod of the head, a hello or a grasp of my hand - they sort of just picked my hand up, squeezed it and let go it was quite odd but as more and more did it I realised it was a sign of respect. Others, however just looked on in surprise. Clearly, from their thoughts they thought Zircah hadn't been telling the truth.

Helena met and embraced me and fixed the end of my braid; I hadn't even realised it'd unravelled a little. "I'm going to have to teach Fey how to finish these braids correctly."

I guess I'll have to speak Enochian for the night. "She did a good job of it though. You look beautiful."

She smiled. Her clothes - like the female Elder - consisted of a flowing white skirt knotted at her waist, the embroidery was immaculate. A high neck top - the same patterend embroidery lining across her chest - and the exact same golden robe hung over her shoulder. Greek wear definitley influenced their clothing. "Thank you, as do you. Come, Zircah must announce you before you play your piece."

I'd almost forgotten. As Persus and Helena led me to Zircah who was sat like a Greek king interacting with his audience, laughing, indulging in many of the sins of our worlds. Gluttony - a large vase filled with wine held comfortably in the palm or his hand and Pride - his wings vibrating aggressively behind him almost showing off his golden feathers to the admirers around him. The smile on my face slowly fell at the realisation that even in heaven no one can escape them. Not even an Elder.

Tensing as we approached, Zircah removed himself from his audience and greeted me with an unusually warm smile. Behind him Axel and Leo lingered in the back wearing similar robes to the guards placed around the hall.

Placing a hand on the small of my back as Persus did he turned me and led me toward the centre of the room. "Didn't we make an agreement the other day, Lonsa?"

Oh, we did. He'd pulled me to the side like a skulking witch after I'd come out of the room with the bowl that showed me earth. If I did this for him then it would help my case, he said. I didn't have much of a problem with it up until now. Looking upon the golden and white winged angels, it made me slightly... uncomfortable. In any other situation I was proud of my midnight black wings but here? Not so much.

Earlier on today when I had done so, there were people around yes but I didn't linger long enough to view their reactions. And in my tribunal, I was too distracted to care.

"Yes, we did." I sighed.

"Then honour it, dear." He said, his smile not surrendering an inch.

Stopping in the middle of the room, he didn't have to do anything other than lift a hand to silence the hundreds of angels scatted around the hall. I spotted Fey standing with Isaiah - the guard - among a group of unfamiliar angels. And then beside them was a group I was very familiar with. Tristan, Joseph and Elizabeth and of course, Gabriel.

A part of me relaxed a little at seeing him. He looked perfect in his own robes similar to Perses' minus the golden robe. His was grey as was Joseph's.

"My angelic audience, welcome to the Ball of the century." He began, his hand firmly on the small of my back. "We welcome you to the Keep, to this Citadel and to our home. I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have for each and everyone's presence. Some have travelled from the ends of the earth, others from the far reaches of heaven. I, on the behalf of the Elders' am thankful."

A light applause surrounded the hall but their attention seemed to be drawn to, well, me rather than him.

"Many of you have speculated as to what had happened after the Decision. What had happened to our Goddess of Powers'. The Decider. Everyone knows the story before, during and after. Separated from those she cared dearly for. I can confirm all of the rumours are true."

A murmur travelled through the hall before Zircah once again raised his palm to silence them. What rumours were those exactly and who in the hell started them? As if Fey knew exactly what I was thinking, I noticed her shake her head as if to say, 'don't worry.'

"Lonsa." His fingers started to dig into my back. I refrained myself from flinching and sent him a tight smile. "Please."

As he requested the other day, I watched as he took a few steps back before allowing my wings to burst from behind my back. I took great satisfaction when the slight burst of wind startled him enough to make him take another step backwards. I blushed - that's right, blushed - as the onlookers gazed at my shimmering black wings. Brooke, my wonderful teacher, made herself known from beside the instruments and gestured me over with a nod of her head.

Show time. I walked as proudly as one could toward the grand like piano and seated myself in front of the ebony and ivory keys. The silence was absolutely deafening and I wanted nothing more than for this to be over. Closing my eyes and searching for the one mind that would calm me, I placed my fingers over the keys and waited. My breath was the only thing I could hear as I searched. No one spoke a word.

And then I found him. His memories of our life together - this one - played like a movie.

So I played.

I watched as we entered our senior year like unsuspecting seventeen year olds. Gabriel Thomas, the boy I knew and loved. The boy I thought I knew everything about. He looked so young so... innocent. Comparing him to the man he is today to the boy he was all those years ago was almost cruel.

Time is an illusion and yet... it mars his features. It mars mine. It scars us. I knew it wasn't his intention to remind me of the days that were but... how couldn't I think of it that way? Slowly, the images moved to the many occasions he had seen me turn from human, to Nephilim, to what I am now. And then almost as if I dropped a pin, the images returned to our teenage selves.

Oh I remembered this day.

The day I'd told him we could only be friends, I'd fallen asleep on his bed. But from what I remembered I'd woken as soon as he'd entered the room. But from his memory he was in there ten minutes prior. Stroking my face, watching me sleep... Smiling to myself, I remembered what a fool I was to think we could have ever been only friends. How wrong was I?

Finishing the piece with a triumphant final note, I awoke from the memory only then realising I'd been stretching and curling my wings around myself as I played. The applause as I stood astounded me. I could barely hear myself play was I that good?

Brooke approached me with the proudest of smiles, her bronze hair flowing heavily over her shoulder and she walked. "Nice one baby girl." She drawled in english. "Now bow and go to Persus for a dance. Then after that you dance with whomever asks."

My eyes widened. "What everyone?!"

"Unfortunately."She laughed. "Don't worry after the tenth you can take a break."

**

I was on eleven and I wanted to kill myself.

It was like homecoming all over again. From the Kerbuic Angels to the Angels from the Watch Towers, I was being whisked around the dance floor every darn minute. Gabriel had disappeared almost immediately after I played and I'd barely had two minutes to down two glasses of wine to make the night just that little bit easier.

I wished a goodnight to the current angel I was dancing with and went to move away from the dance floor. But of course, I received a tap on the shoulder. I sighed and mustered a smile. "I regret to- Oh. Tristan."

"You promised to save me a dance. Besides this can't wait anymore."

"And talking about this surrounded by hundreds of angels is a good idea?" I said placing my hand on his shoulder.

"It is in fact...." 'Because I visited earth two days ago.'

My steps faltered at his thought but Tristan kept me moving with ease. "And?" I swallowed.

"Bonnie and Maryanne wanted me to give you something. That's why I came to your room. There are too many prying eyes and ears here, Alex. So I gave it to Gabriel. It's so important you see Joseph and me after you get it, understand?"

"Isn't giving whatever it is to Gabriel the worst thing you could have done? We're being watched like hawks."

Tristan grinned like a kid and looked around the hall. "Every angel from every watch tower is here. All of the guards are roaming the grounds here. Figure it out quick sharp, girl. He's waiting."

"A riddle seriously?"

"I have to have a little fun here, lighten up!" He pecked my head and released me before I could quiz him further like how he got to earth in the damn first place.

Scanning the room one more time as I moved across the room, I frowned when I didn't find Gabe. The least Tristan could have done was give me a hint for crying out loud.

As I continued to look around I realised that he was right. All the angels from the watch towers really were here...

Ohhh... Which ultimately meant... okay I get it now. Now, how do I escape without anyone noticing when I'm the guest of honour?

"Lonsa my dear, where are you going?" One of the Kerbuic angels stumbled toward me with a grin. "We were all going to dance the Angelic Waltz whilst Cassiel plays."

Cassiel! He would be the perfect distraction. "Oh yes! Begin, I'll join in at the Chorus."

Sending a stray - however protected - thought to Cassiel to keep them distracted whilst I make my exit, he sent me a nod and a wink and began a ballad only angelic ears could bear hearing. I was practically invisible as he played as I escaped through the gardens. Not even Zircah noticed me leave. Or even - thank goodness - Axel.

Releasing my wings once more - I'd retracted them so I could dance - I launched myself into the air with no regrets not one. I grabbed hold of the stupid crown from my head and flew in the direction toward the beach. It was so odd seeing how empty it was even at this time of night. The sky was a twilight orange and blue. I was so used to it now but tonight for some reason, it made me speechless. Maybe it was because I was in the air, closer to the stars.

Descending as slowly as I could I landed on the shores of the beach, slipping my shoes off so I wouldn't ruin them. Retracting my wings with a slight flinch I began to walk along the shore.

"Gabriel?" I shouted as I untied my braid and put the crown back on my head. "Tristan better not be screwing with me. Gabe?"

"I'm here."

Turning around, I jumped at his proximity. I hadn't had a chance to truly admire him tonight until now especially after seeing the boy in those memories. The man in front of me was perfect in my eyes. His hair hung over his forehead, unlike everyone else at the ball. His jaw was shaved highlighting the cheekbones I'd kissed countless of times. His plump lips moved into a charming smile and I couldn't help but inwardly swoon.

"Crap, don't do that. You could have at least have told me you were leaving earlier. I wanted to dance with you-"

"Sh, do you hear that?" He murmured.

I grimaced and listened, only the sound of silence filled my ears. Even the shores of heaven were silent. Not one wave. "Hear what?"

"Listen closely."

Either he was going crazy or I was. But it turned out neither of us were. Even this far away from the Citadel, Cassiel's voice broke the air like the first tweet of a bird in the morning. Gabriel lifted my hand into his and placed my other on his shoulder.

"You want a dance?" He smiled his bright eyes shining down at me. "Then here."

It was slow, intimate and it was needed. Dancing with Gabriel was like floating on a cloud. His very being surrounded me and consumed all of my senses as Cassiel sang. The palm on my waist drew me closer and for the first time since we'd come here, none of our bands tightened. It was refreshing and I was thankful for the change.

As Cassiel's voice faded into the night so did our mood. He tensed beneath my hold and I leaned back to view his clenching jaw.

"What is it?" I frowned.

Slowly, and reluctantly by the look in his eyes, he moved his hand to grab something from his pants and handed me an envelope. "Judging from the handwriting from the front, Maryanne wrote it."

Opening it I took the first sheet of paper out and read:

'Princess,'

Yep, definitely Maryanne.

'I'm glad you found Gabriel. Truly I am, as odd as that may sound coming for me. It's been 112 days since you've been gone and things, yeah I'll be honest, are shit. The demons know you've left earth and are trying but failing to overtake. Thankfully Persus has sent guards to help so things haven't gone completely downhill. Bonnie is fine, your parents and Jayden are fine, Kim and Jackson are fine and Cam is... fading into the background. He's coping, I'm helping as much as I can. Cacodemons have found their way here, Alex and I don't know how. We need as much help as we can get.

Your best friend.

Maryanne.'

"What?" Gabriel asked. "You're burning the letter."

I took a deep breath to calm my burning anger. "The Cacodemons. They've landed on earth." I reached back into the envelope and pulled out the other thing but paused. It calmed me instantly. It was a photo of everyone.

Bonnie and Jayden looked happy. Seeing that smile on her face calmed something inside me, I don't know but seeing them in the bowl was one thing but having a physical photograph was another. Kim and Jackson stood beside the two of them with giant smiles on their face. And Maryanne bent in front of them front holding a sign that said, 'Stop worrying, Alexis. x'

I could only assume Cameron was taking the picture and in a way that saddened me. But maybe it was for the best. I rarely chose to see him in the bowl because it hurt still.

Gabriel took the note from me and lifted my chin to look at him. "We have a lot to plan."

I nodded in agreement, putting the photograph back in the envelope and handing him the rest.

"But first," He said, the fire in his eyes almost reflecting the one that flamed my soul. "We have other matters to address."

I blinked as he crowded his body against me and swallowed. "Oh? And what's that?"

Gabriel's smile was one of a mischievous boy as he captured my lips in a chaste kiss. "Follow me."

_____________________________________

An update you say? YES IT IS. A nice long one too.

Enjoy. ((Soz it's a cliffhanger too. Not many chapters left now.))

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

1.8K 399 24
Sometimes love doesn't come when we expect them to, and sometimes it does come when we expect them. Marks life suddenly became difficult and miserabl...
32.4K 1.6K 9
#38 in Fantasy "Go." he commanded. "I can't bear the sight of you." The wind blew my hair out behind me. "I hate you so much. I never want to see you...
49.5K 2.7K 29
Once upon a time, there lived a poor little girl in the dirty streets of the human world. With her parents gone and her having to survive alone, she...
Sora of the Moon Per Last__Angel

Literatura romàntica

974 99 53
"That's what i meant... Sora, don't fall in love with me again, stop loving me, hate me if possible. It's for your own good". I said with my hand rea...