Always For You. [Snape Romanc...

By MaralinaSakura

Four students have disappeared from Hogwarts without a trace to be found. When Cassandra is sent to investiga... More

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds Chapter 1: Floating Ashore
Arc 1: Chapter 2: A Sandy Seabed
Arc 1: Chapter 3: Deep Drowning
Arc 1: Chapter 4: Seashells Have Secrets Too
Arc 1: Chapter 5: Icy Waves
Arc 1: Chapter 6: Stars Above The Sea
Arc 1: Chapter 7: Skipping Stones
Arc 1: Chapter 8: Conches Scatter
Arc 1: Chapter 9: Sleeping Snow
Arc 1: Chapter 11: A Sweet Dream
Progression Plan: Arc 2
Arc 2: Delusional Reverie: Chapter 1: Remembrance
Arc 2: Chapter 2: Memories
Arc 2: Chapter 3: Resurgence
Arc 2: Chapter 4: Waltz
Arc 2: Chapter 5: Admiration
Arc 2: Chapter 6: Reality
Arc 2: Chapter 7: Arifica
Arc 2: Chapter 8: Calamity
Arc 2: Chapter 9: Perseverance
Arc 2: Chapter 10: Clarity
Progression Plan: Arc 3
Arc 3: Enraptured Revelation: Chapter 1: Far From Me
Arc 3: Chapter 2: Right As One
Arc 3: Chapter 3: Heroes They Are
Arc 3: Chapter 4: Futurebearing Clandestine Canopies
Arc 3: Chapter 5: Love, Time, Prophecies
Arc 3: Chapter 6: Invading Our Senses
Arc 3: Chapter 7: Resolution On High
Arc 3: Chapter 8: What Are Sacrifices
Arc 3: Chapter 9: What Hearts Wish
Arc 3: Chapter 10: Her Intentions Are...
Arc 3: Chapter 11: Meeting You Here
Arc 3: Chapter 12: The Tales Coming
Epilogue
Artist Gallery #1

Arc 1: Chapter 10: Grains of Sand

30 2 0
By MaralinaSakura

Arc 1: Immaterial Bonds
Chapter 10: Grains of Sand

Everything is so dark... This endless black only goes on forever... I see nothing. I can't move. What's going to happen to me? Someone... help me... 

*****

SNAPE'S POV

The sun had fully set and the moon was high in the sky, illuminating the school grounds in a pale glow. The Forbidden Forest stood ominously at the boundaries, creating an isolating thicket that consumed those who dared be foolish enough to enter. The students had long returned to their common rooms and only staff prowled the corridors at this time of night. 

It was my duty tonight to be on the watch for any troublemakers. If I caught either of the worst offenders out of bed, Merlin help me, I would give them a month's worth of detention. That is, if Cassandra and I are to be successful. A type of living magic that marauded one's dreams and manipulated their weakened emotions... to do what? Where were they going and what were they doing? They must not have simply vanished but moved somewhere else. But where? I had thousands of questions and so few answers.

The sound of voices hit my ears. They sounded too old to be students but, nonetheless, I readied my wand in preparation for an attack. It may simply be Peeves playing a practical joke but these were serious times. 

"I am only saying that I do not understand why you keep her around." the first voice said in a baffled tone.

"Because she has more than proved herself to be worthy of our care."

"You have strange priorities, Dumbledore. Do be warned, she-"

It was Fudge and Dumbledore having what could be considered a civil row in the Entrance Hall. 

"Good evening, Minister, Professor Dumbledore." I intervened, bringing their conversation to a halt as Fudge realised he was overheard. 

"Good evening, Severus." Dumbledore jollily replied, happy to have companionship on this matter. "We were just discussing Miss Juniper. The Minister had quite a lot to say on the matter, did you not?"

Fudge went pale. He was outnumbered without his entourage to back him up on any matter. 

"Yes- that is to say- she-" he stumbled on his words. This fool won't say anything cohesive. 

"May I inquire what sprouted this discussion?" 

"The Minister and I were simply having a discussion about his proposal earlier today when we spotted Miss Juniper walk past to go outside." Dumbledore said, deliberately leaving out the pointless drabble from Fudge. "I wished her a good evening but she did not seem to hear me, unfortunately."

"Of course she heard you, she just didn't reply because she was ignoring you!" Fudge retorted.

Ignoring him, I pushed my question to Dumbledore: "Did she seem like she was in a daze?"

Dumbledore thought about his response as Fudge huffed at my dismissing of his statement.

"I could not be quite sure but it may explain why she failed to acknowledge me. Is there something the matter?" Dumbledore acknowledged my concern.

It has her. That's the only explanation. Cassandra wouldn't ignore someone like that and it would throw light upon why she was exhausted earlier. 

"She's in mortal danger. We need to find her immediately." I warned and quickly made my way outside. 

I'm on my way. Hold on, Cassandra.

*****

CASSANDRA'S POV

....a bright white flashed and then there was deep darkness. My fingers twitched, then my toes and then my larger limbs one at a time. My eyes flushed open to a hard rock floor that my body pressed firmly up against. It was agonisingly cold and my flesh felt like it was about to fall off from frostbite. It seems that I was in a deep cave with the only light source coming from the far away exit. 

My wand was missing. I'm defenceless. I could call for help but it's unlikely anyone would hear me. Plus, I don't know who or what brought me here. If the voice was correct and I was in the Forbidden Forest, any wrong move could lead to my death. However, if I made no move at all, my demise would be certain from the cold, starvation or the enemy lurking nearby. 

Then what is the right course of action? First, I should establish my well-being. My heart was pounding like a bell in my ears. The first call for survival is to calm yourself so that you do not make any rash decisions... I began to take deep breaths, placing my palm to my chest to slow down my heartbeat and focus. 

Alright... Step two... Analyse your surroundings. What can you use to improve your chances of living? Going outside was off the table... that would certainly lead to perishing in the cold. It was unlikely to be a way out if I was brought here regardless. The only thing at my feet was the rock flooring of the cave and its matching walls surrounding me.  That leaves the only option being... to progress deeper inside. 

Every footfall felt heavy and caused echoes to reverberate off the circular cavern walls. A small rock flew a short distance after my foot collided with it, creating a deep noise. It wouldn't be much but it was a better "weapon" than having nothing at all. At worst, it could be a good distraction. 

The cave was essentially pitch black as it took a curve. A small round in shape chamber formed as the cave's ending. I couldn't hear a single thing and could make out some basic shapes to which I believed to be mere rock formations. The hand that was gripping the stone was shaking. Hesitantly, I threw the rock and it fell somewhere in the middle of the room, making the same noise it had previously. 

There was no movement. It was empty. If there was nobody here then why was I brought here? Had they left for some reason? There was no apparent cause to keep me with my back exposed so I went inside the room. As expected, most of the shapes were identified as rock formations but others were so much smaller and... unnatural. I need some sort of light source... 

I could see some sort of torch beacon perched on the wall. There must be some flint and wood to strike a flame somewhere... I knelt down near the beacon, trying to ignore the sharp pain from the dirt digging into my knees. My hands shuffled everywhere in front of me, picking up countless bits of debris in my nails until I felt a wooden substance hit me. Perfect! A sharp rock sat slightly to its left. 

Carefully, I struck the flint to the wood and a light spark erupted. Knowing that it was flammable, I repeated the action to the beacon and it quickly erupted with flames. Turning around, I witnessed a sight I wish I could take back. 

The walls were covered with deep claw marks and splatters of blood of all different shapes and sizes. But that wasn't nearly the worst of it... 

To the left and right of the cave laid four bodies progressively going through the stages of decomposition. That was when the stench of rotting flesh hit my nose. I wanted to throw up but no substance left my stomach. My entire body was telling me to stay away but I had to see if I could confirm the bodies...

Heading to the left, the body of a girl in pre-adult development lay. She was by far the most decomposed. A broken pair of spectacles was discarded by its side. Her bones were showing and her skin was infested with maggots, creating the worst of the putrid smells. This must be the remains of Jessica Marin...

To its side was a smaller body of a boy. His clothes were still relatively intact. The crest on his blazer identified him as a Hufflepuff. There was a large fracture on his left arm that looked like it had just begun to heal before the boy's death. The worst of it all was the large impact dent on his skull that made his head look half the size. He likely died on strike. Such was the fate of Rayer Terell...

To the right was a much harder sight to see. The body of Christina Beckett had barely been touched. Had it not been for the splotches of blood and pus on her face and large gashes on her stomach, it would look like she had been in an eternal slumber. She was so young... she didn't deserve this fate. 

The last body belonged to Lionel MacKenna, no doubt. His corpse was still fresh, except his right leg had been cut clean off. He must have tried to run away but got attacked by whatever beast roamed. There wasn't a chance for him.

There was one final body propped up against the far wall. A large pool of still-wet blood was seeping through her uniform and into the cracks below. Genny Roberts... I touched her wrist to check for a pulse for a thin hope of consciousness but there was nothing to be found. She still had a tinge of warmth left. This was recent. 

A low growling began to sound from behind me. I was no longer alone. 

Severus was right.

A large spectral wolf stood before me. Saliva dripped from its gigantic mouth that must have been double my size. It glowed a faint purple and was partially see-through. 

"Welcome, dear guest." it began. Its voice matched that of the haze in the dream. "I am glad that you arrived in one piece."

Seeing myself in the light, there were holes all over my clothes, likely from climbing through the foliage in the forest.  "One piece" would be an overstatement. 

"Who are you? Why am I here?" I asked, trying to not show preparation against the enemy.

"You are in my domain in the Forbidden Forest. You are here because you accepted my deal. I will grant you what you wish most..." The beast's eyes went manic. 

"I don't want whatever you were offering me. I did not come here by choice, I want to leave."

"That cannot be true otherwise you would not have made your way here." the beast responded. "All who came here did so of their own volition." 

It truly believes that I came here by myself. Did it not recognise that I was bound inside the dream and awoke here?

"Alas, you ask of who I am? I am the earth, the sky, the trees, the wind, that is to say, I am everything. I am whatever your heart truly desires. I am the Hound of Dreams."

The Hound had no indication of letting me go without accepting its deal... I need more information before I say anything definite...

"I... see. Before I accept anything of yours, I need to understand some things first... You say you are the Hound of Dreams but... how did you come to be? Why are you here?" I asked simply.

"I awoke one day as a gift. My life was bestowed on me by a higher being than myself. I do not know their name but I am devoted as their servant. Their wish was to find those who were missing dear things in their lives and bring them what they wanted most. I was tasked to seek the dreams of those who needed me and bring them here. From there, my master took over."

"I still sense confusion from you. I shall elaborate. When one has a deep desire that their subconscious cannot abandon, they become susceptible to me. Their state of sleep allows me to penetrate their dreams and communicate with them. Those who are not susceptible, it is safe to say, I do not know of them. I did not know of you before. It was your return to Hogwarts that I became aware of your presence. As per my master's orders, I came to you with an offer and you accepted. That is why you are now here." 

None of that explains the piles of bodies! 

"Where is your master?" 

"I do not know. But they will be coming soon. No, I sense they are already here... Master... what is it you want?" the Hound asked. Silence... until...

"I understand." The Hound laid its stomach to the floor and closed its eyes. 

It... seemed to be sleeping? It was completely motionless and no breath emerged from it. If there was a time to run, it would be now. Quickly, I compiled myself and began to sprint for the cave's passage out. 

"...Kill the defiler..." the Hound spoke. 

In a heartbeat, the beast jumped on top of me. Its singular paw was enough to knock all of the wind out of me. All of its teeth were born and its thick saliva dripped onto my face and torso. Its once normal eyes were now a frightening glowing crimson. Trelawney's prophecy suddenly became all the more real.

It was the master controlling its servant.

"Get off me! Help!" I screamed but there was nobody there to hear...

*****  

SNAPE'S POV

Sometime Earlier...

Mother Nature decided that now would be the perfect moment to enact her vengeance against the world. A strong blizzard went on as far as the eye could see, making it impossible to see more than a few feet in front of you. I had the fortune of casting a simple Warming Charm that would be enough to prevent me freezing but if Cassandra did not have her wand and did not find shelter, she would likely perish soon. The thought alerted me considerably. The main person to see would be... Hagrid. As gamekeeper, he would have knowledge of the school grounds and would be the only person likely to have seen her. 

Hagrid's hut sat close to the edge of the Forbidden Forest. Though not large in terms of rooms, it was sizable to host an inhabitant of his physique. There was a lit lantern inside that sent small beams of light through the hut's windows and Hagrid's humming was audible even over the sounds of the blizzard. Quickly, I pounded my hand on the wooden door. The large Hagrid, scruffy beard and coat together, stopped singing and opened the door.

"Professor Snape! What are ye doin' outside in weather like this?" he chuckled oblivious to what was going on. 

"Cassandra. Where is she? Did you see her?" I asked with an unintentional irritation in my tone. 

"Cassandra?" Hagrid replied confused. "Oh, ye mean Miss Juniper? Saw 'er go into the Forbidden Forest, I did, before the blizzard 'it. Called out but she didn't 'ear me. Assumed she had some business in there but 'aven't seen her since." 

She went into the forest. If she passed through nearby then a tracking spell should be able to pick up her trace. I headed back outside and cast the spell. A swirl of gold erupted from my wand and footprints became apparent within the snow. They led straight into the forest, as Hagrid had said. 

"Where are ya goin'!? Ye can't seriously be goin' inside!" Hagrid called with his head sticking outside, not daring to step outside properly.

"Of course I'm going! She is in danger! Tell Dumbledore where I'm headed!" I yelled back and began to follow the steps, ignoring any of Hagrid's further protest. 

*****

The Forbidden Forest contained countless numbers of trees of a variety of species and ages. They created an almost impassable route had it not been for the paths that Hagrid and other creatures had created from years of using the forest. One has to be extremely careful to not lose their way. Every tree and bush looked the same once you get lost and you could accidentally wander somewhere you do not wish to be. Encountering the centaur herd, the Acromantula den or the werewolves that prowled the woods would be almost certain death if you were unprepared.

Cassandra's footprints from the spell did not take long to stray off the path. It began to guide me into an area of the forest I was not familiar with, meaning that I was now going in blind. Fortunately, the trees provided some much-needed barriers to most of the blizzard and so it was somewhat possible to navigate. 

It was not easy. Cassandra had gone directly through many thick bushes, small gaps between foliage and trees and down some inclines in the dirt. At some point, I found a scrap of her shirt that had been tugged off by a jagged branch. Underneath were a couple of blood droplets. She was injured but it did not seem to be life-threatening. Still, I hurried and continued on her trail.

 ....

The steps began to slow. Looking up, the entrance of a deep cave stood before me.  Wand still readied, I steeled myself and entered with the confidence that she was inside and near. 

"Get off me! Help!" a voice I recognised yelled desperately within. It was Cassandra and she was under attack. No, I will not allow another person dear to me die from my inaction! 

I charged forward deep within the cave. Round the turning tunnel was the cave's chamber. There, a horror befell my sight. A lupine beast almost to the ceiling of height stood over Cassandra's tiny body with its paw pressing deep on her chest, pinning her helplessly to the ground. 

Without hesitation, I directed my wand towards the beast and sent forth the Expulso Curse. A bright blue light flared from my wand and struck the beast with enough force to send it tumbling away from Cassandra's body.

*****

Cassandra's POV

Out of nowhere, a bright flash hit the Hound and caused it to waver backwards. The weight on my chest lifted enough for me to barely get to my feet and create further distance. I turned towards the direction the light flew from while the Hound flinched in confusion.

"Severus!" I exclaimed, never happier to see him. "We have to kill it! It's what's been taking the children!"

Snape nodded in acknowledgement and summoned another curse. Unlike the previous, it did nothing. The beast did not feel any effect. 

"It became resistant; we need to leave." Snape cried out as he reached to grab my arm.

"We can't leave! If we leave then it'll keep luring people here and... and we just can't allow it!" I protested and stood my ground.

By now, the Hound recovered from its short-lived disorientation. It let out a deafening howl and prepared for its next strike.

I thought deeply about what Snape had said before...

"It would not be something I would have heard of... but if there were a type of living magic, similar to a Patronus Charm, it could be cast outside of Hogwarts and found its way onto the school grounds."

"Give me your wand, Severus!" He looked confused but there were no other options. He tossed his wand towards me and, thank Merlin, I caught it. 

To fight inhuman dark magic, a Patronus shall drive away the evil.

The Hound stared me down and began to charge. Its mouth once more showed all of its teeth and was preparing for the end blow.

I took a deep breath and thought of my happiest memory. Arriving at Hogwarts... finding myself... being where I belong...

I tried to love you, Cassandra, but you are simply unloveable.

"Expecto Patronum!" I called but only a faint wisp emerged from the wand and dispelled as quickly as it came. 

The Hound continued its barrage and raised its claws. I barely had time to move out of the way before it slammed its paw down. It missed decapitating me but struck true on my shoulder. It slashed completely through my clothes and ripped through my skin like paper. I yelped in pain. Snape tried to approach but there was no safe way without risking both of our lives. 

"Defilers... must... be punished..." the Hound growled in acknowledgement of its successful offence. 

Why... Why can I still not cast it...? After all this time, after everything I've been through... How is it still not enough?  

"You must forget the past, Cassandra! If you do not move on, you shall never recover!" Snape encouraged as he felt the same wound in his heart. 

He was right. Everything I had done at the Ministry, everything my father had done to me, all those nights where I was alone... it was over now. They can't hurt me anymore.

The Hound was done playing games. It was now or never. 

"Master... orders... your blood to be spilt!" it roared and began to charge.

That memory... Atop the tower...

My throat closed in anticipation of the right moment to cast. Snape's wand fumbled in my hand but I solidified my grip. Right as the Hound was going to deal the final blow...

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!" I summoned as a blinding silver light poured out of the wand. A gorgeous swan spread its wings and knocked the Hound to the ground. It let out a scream in agonising pain. Desperately, it tried to get back to its feet but slipped and fell to the floor once more. Finally, it lay motionless and its spectral energy came to weaken until it diminished to nothing. No remnants were left behind. The beast was finally dead. 

I toppled to my knees as my energy suddenly felt sapped. Snape ran to my side and gave me support. The swan flew around the chamber, completely unaffected by what it just slew. Then, it approached us and gave an indication it was pleased before fading away, much like the Hound. 

"It was as you said..." I gasped between breaths. "It was a type of living magic being controlled by someone... A Patronus could destroy it..." 

"Why did you not let me cast it?" he asked sincerely as he took back his wand and attempted to heal my wound. As advanced as Snape was in healing magic, there was only so much he could do. The bleeding gradually stopped but the deep gash of claw marks remained as prominent as it was on impact.

"It was my connection." I looked at him and his expression was still filled with worry. "I was vulnerable to it... but it was vulnerable to me too. It only knew the existence of those with who it created a link and that included me. Only I could have killed it." 

Snape gave a relieved sigh. He didn't like my answer but knew there was nothing else about it. 

My heart finally began to calm down from its endangered state but still felt attacked with anxiety. I found the strength to wrap my arms around the man who had been with me through this horrific ordeal the whole way. At the start, it was as enemies... but now I don't want to go a single moment without him. He moved himself to encase me in his embrace too. Did he feel the same way or was he simply protecting me?

Snape muttered something to himself but it was almost inaudible to me. I wanted to ask what he said but it didn't feel like the right moment to do so. 

*****

Before long, we began to make our way back to the opening of the cave. Snape held my waist to ensure I could walk properly. The blizzard had almost completely died out by the time we made it out. 

"Oh thank goodness, you two are alive!" a figure called out just beyond the horizon. It was McGonagall. Three more figures of various sizes joined her. 

"Cassandra, Severus! Are you in good shape?" another called and I knew that voice to be Flitwick. 

"I told ya they went this way!" a rough voice spoke above the two of them. Much taller than the others, it was clearly Hagrid.

The final did not speak and continued its way towards us. It was Dumbledore leading the fray. 

"We're here!" I replied and they hurried faster to meet us. 

"Is the deed done?" Dumbledore asked as he peered into the cave's mouth.

I nodded as McGonagall and Flitwick fussed over our state of being. Gradually, we made our way back to Hogwarts...

*****

Once we returned, Dumbledore took Snape and me straight to his office. There, my future at Hogwarts was to be determined.

I began to explain what happened inside the cave and the details about the Hound of Dreams to Dumbledore. He seemed confused and then concerned about the properties of the beast above all. When I mentioned casting a Patronus, a bright smile came across his lips. 

"It takes great strength to cast a corporeal Patronus under such conditions. You have grown immensely since we first met." he praised better than Fudge had in my entire life.

"Thank you, Dumbledore." I responded with a slightly embarrassed laugh. "But now that the Hound is dead, I'm sad that I have to leave everything behind..."

"Whatever do you mean?" he enquired, looking quite surprised.

"I mean... that I have to return to the Ministry now. They need me there. I was only supposed to be here until we solved the disappearances and I've done that now." I admitted and bit my lip. 

Snape stood there looking unreadable until he finally spoke.

"You do not have to return if you do not wish to do so."

Dumbledore nodded at Snape. 

"It is as Severus says. Do you recall what I asked you last time you were here? I asked what you want to do. I ask you the same question. What is it that you wish to do? Not what the Ministry expects of you." Dumbledore stared silently as I contemplated my answer.

Being at this school was the best thing to ever happen to me. I loved and was loved by others. The Ministry needed my support but they never once acknowledged my efforts. Here, I was an individual worthy of being accepted into its ever-growing family. It was then that I knew my answer.

"I... I want to stay here. I wish to stay at Hogwarts and continue to teach. Hogwarts is my home..." I spoke with my words choking slightly. "You said that it is what room we give someone to grow that determines how they blossom... Hogwarts gave me that room and its care and love the whole time. The Ministry could never grant me that. I've blossomed and I want to continue to grow here." 

"Then you have your answer. As headmaster, I am delighted to accept you as an official professor at Hogwarts." Dumbledore announced. 

It was really happening. I was free. Protected. Loved. I did not need the Hound to grant me that wish. Though... in some ironic way, it was because of it that I was able to reach this point. 

And now, I could lead my own path. But what awaits me now? There are so many possibilities to discover... 

I looked at Snape once more.

Everything is going to be alright. 

Plus, Christmas is coming soon. All the best time to celebrate, right?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.3K 2.6K 24
↳ ❝ [ ADAMO ] ❞ ━ yandere severus snape x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, severus snape, a cold and unfeeling individual, finds ...
711 32 12
What happens when y/n y/l ends up in the harry potter universe... She is excited to help them secretly and change the fate of some. She meets the lo...
314 13 4
Flora Etrielle, a 20-year-old homeschooled witch is taken to Hogwarts after her parents are brutally murdered by Death Eaters. Voldemort is on the hu...
346K 8.9K 22
Snarry. Explicit. Post-Hogwarts, though the War still rages. Harry is holed up at Grimmauld Place where he may be safe from his enemies, but he's no...