Who made me Penelope Judith?

By Chiron13

I was a person with a rather disappointing life. I had heart problems. I was hospitalized for a long time for... More

Prologue
1. The festival
2. Diana
3. The noble etiquette
4. The Empress
5. Tea party. Nobles. Lillian York.
6. Felix and Lily
7. Claude's troubles
8. The mother
9. One year later
10. Lippe tea
11. Flower crown.
12. Banquet
13. Dance
14. Sleepover
15. Santa Claude
16. Empress's orders
17. Apology
18. Lucas
19. The magician's help
20. Waking up
21. Debut (1)
22. Debut (2)
23. Unravelling
25. 18 years old
26. Drunk
27. Broken
28. More heartbreak
29. Run
30. Athanasia and Jeannette
31. A complicated reunion
32. Athy
33. Meet Athanasia
34. After the marriage
35. Claude. Meet. Your. Daughter.
36. First steps
37. Lucas "babysitting"
Questions
Answers
38. School
38. More school

24. Love you

5.7K 247 54
By Chiron13

"Claude." I said angrily "Explain THIS to me."

I shoved the letter against his chest while Felix casually stuffed his mouth with brownies, ignoring our conflict.

Claude rolled his eyes and looked at the letter.

~~

Dear Penelope,

How sad we parted so early on the night of your debutante, I hope you enjoyed it to the fullest! I repeat this, you looked glamorous!

Currently I am still in Siodonna. We're laying low for a while since the master is taking his family on a vacation so I'm staying with my teacher and her husband.  It's pretty great here, there are lots of things to do. Many things to explore!

(By the way did you and Lily enjoy the cookies I brought?)

Still, at the same night of your debut, I sorta forgot my scarf at the Emerald Palace so I came back to get it. Claude was very nice he told the guards to let me in so I could recuperate it. It was kinda weird though, he was sorta rude. But still, I myself was not so respectful either so if you could tell him I'm sorry one last time I'd be thankful. You know Penelope, you're marrying an intriguing man. I thought I had him figured out thanks to all you wrote about him but somehow he just changed my opinion about him in 5 minutes it's unbelievable. I literally had no clue what was going on in his head 24/7!

However it's so sweet how he always changes his tone when it comes to you. He really got you on a pedestal.

I still believe I may or may not have offended him during that night so...Yeah I apologize again because perhaps how I did it that night wasn't serious enough.

Wish you well!
Diana

~~

"Okay, what's the problem with this letter?" Claude raised an eyebrow at me.

"What the hell happened that night when I left you at the palace?!" I asked.

"If you read the letter again more carefully, you'll remark that SHE offended ME." Claude huffed.

"I don't think Diana would start a fight." I said sternly. "And she's apologizing for whatever it is she did. If she even did anything...Was this about Mary?"

"No. She assumed I had a perfect princely life." Claude said bitterly. "And she said I had a bad attitude. I may or may not have proved her wrong."

"The last one is true." I commented.

He glared at me. "You're no better, you and your passive agressive words. You're the bad influence."

I'll ignore what he just said.

"But for the first one," I said "You can't really blame her. Nobody outside a few nobles and servants know how you're being treated in the palace. It's only normal for commoners and others to think that your life is about the same quality as your brother's."

"My brother has his own weight to carry."

"Yes I know." I looked down, recalling Anastacius's pain "But commoners tend to think that just the fact of living in such a luxurious palace is the climax of a paradise like life."

"I admit it may or may not be better than the streets." Felix chimed in. "I overheard some kids also say that they'd give up anything to be able to ride horses like we do."

"It's just horses." Claude shrugged. "They're not that big a deal."

"Commoners don't even have stables." I pointed out.

"Do you think I'm stupid?"

"Sometimes yes." I confirmed. "But seriously Claude, what did you say to Diana?" I said, snatching the letter back.

"I asked her to mind her tone and address me in a more respectful way." He looked down.

"Is that how you speak to your friend?!" I snapped.

"Yes."

"NO." I said, sipping my lippe tea furiously.

It still tastes like firecrackers to me. I don't understand how Diana and Athanasia worked out the 'Blooming flowers'. I'll say this once and for all, but I simply cannot bring myself to drink tea. I just can't.

"Anyways..." I said, knowing there's no point arguing with Claude "Felix, did you and Lily have fun?"

Felix choked on the brownie he was eating and looked away, covering his mouth with one hand while gesturing me to wait for his answer.

"Fun?" He asked innocently as he looked back to me. "What in tarnation fo you mean by fun...?"

"I meant did you enjoy yourselves?" I raised an eyebrow. "What did you think I meant?"

"I thought you-...Enjoy ourselves?! Whoa-Huh?! Okay now I'm confused." Felix looked away again.

"But did you show Lilian a good time at least?"

Felix once again choked on another brownie. What's wrong with him?

"A-A good time?!"

*Mutual confusion.*

"Wha-What did I say this time?!" I asked, worried.

"It's your phrasing..." Claude mumbled behind me as he reread Diana's letter. "Don't...say it that way..."

"Say what that way? Oh. My. God." I said as I realized what they meant "Agh... Felix you know what I meant, just please answer my question without further weirdness?? What's wrong with you eggheads?!"

Felix finally looked at me.

"Um yeah...we had a good time." He once again reddened.

God can nobody say anything without another one getting dirty thoughts or-What's with people these days?! We all have such dirty minds...Claude and I are 15 and Felix is just 17. What is wrong here?!

"Cool, what did you do?" I asked 👉👈

Please don't make me regret asking.🤚

"Oh we danced thrice together." Felix said normally thank god "Then we went to the banquet together, I accompanied her when she went to receive her gift and then I had a short conversation with her dad. Nothing interesting."

"Nothing interesting?" I repeated "Did you like accompanying her at least?"

"Well I certainly felt honored. I know a lot of other people wanted to court lady Lilian..." Felix mumbled "And yeah I'd rather her than anyone else..."

"Are you two courting?"

"Um no...You're her friend, you know she doesn't want to be courted."

"Uh yeah I guess..." I sighed "In any case...If there's another occasion where she'd need a partner, would you volunteer?"

*A long 3 seconds wait.*

"D-Don't you think she deserves better than me?" Felix looked at me with puppy eyes.

...

Ok...

How do I reply to this...

Lilian deserves the best this world has to offer. I'm not 100% certain that's Felix, but oh my god they look so good together. This is one big world, but I confess, Felix is probably the most perfect being I met in Obelia so far. He's respectful, handsome, comes from a wealthy family, could protect anyone, well mannered...What more do you want?!

"There is no better." Claude summed it up for me before he walked out of the room for no apparent reason.

That's just how Claude is. If he says something nice to the point of being cringe, he casually walks out as if no one ever said anything, and obviously not him.

Felix reddened furiously.

"Did he really say-Oh." He started getting teary eyes "Oh gods Claude actually appreciates me..."

He looked like butter about to melt.

"He really said something nice to me." He looked so happy I can't-

Agh my hearteuu..

I sat down next to Felix.

"You know Claude spits facts right?" I pinched his arm "He's right. I think you're the most suitable man there is for Lily."

"Nah, can't be. There are so many people out there more capable of providing for her." Felix shook his head with a small smile.

Says the son of a rich af duke who's promised to a very high position as a future royal knight of this empire's imperial family...

But never mind that let's talk about feelings. (Because all these insane beings turned me into an unpaid therapist.)

"Yes but would they care for her like you would?" I asked.

"Uhmmm-" He scooted away from me with a red of panic face "Who said I-What did you-Whoa what?! I-I mean-I'm not sure because I-I'd busy with work too I'm n-not sure I could always be p-present it ah agh no?! M-Me care for who?! What are you even on about?!"

"Well you're not one of the mindless people who'd get drunk or just never engage conversation with their wives..." I shrugged. "You're nice."

"Yeah but I'm almost as socially awkward as Claude you know..." Felix sighed "I can't talk to girls."

...

Last time I checked I'm a girl.

"What am I, a horse?!" I raised an eyebrow.

"N-no. I mean...I can't talk to normal girls." He corrected himself.

...

But I AM normal!!!

"Where on my face does it say I'm a crossbred alien hybrid?!" I punched his arm "I'm a normal girl!"

I may come from another dimension, but in any case, I am still a HUMAN GIRL. Thank you!

"Yes but...I-Okay fine yeah, but around other noble ladies who act like they rule this world, I don't feel comfortable." He finally explained.

"I think you do pretty well." I huffed "A lot of them look up to you. And Lily doesn't act at all like she rules this world."

"Well yeah I guess..."

"Yuh!" Claude peeked into the room "Stop talking to her Felix, we gotta go!! Meeting today remember?!"

"Oh yeah." Felix nodded and shoved a brownie into his mouth as he got up "Cya later Penelope!" He tapped my shoulders twice before he followed Claude out of the room.

"Yeah that's right Claude, leave without saying goodbye to me!!" I called out after them, not even leaving the couch.

"Goodbye!!" He said.

"We're going to talk about this!" I shouted.

"Can't. Got a busy schedule and you don't want me visiting you at night anymore so SORRY!! Totally on you though!!!"

This punk!!

He even shouted it out loud in my house!! My father's study isn't far from here!! Roselia and her fiancé are in the next room!! (wait what are they doing) We have staff working here!!! They probably heard everything!! AGH THIS DUMBASS!!

"I'm leaving you!" I said.

"No you're not!"

Damn he's right!

"BYE!" He shouted and judging by the sound distance he must already be at the door.

"Yeah. BYE." I shouted back moodily.

"LOVE YOU!!"

Now what the fck-!?

"WhAt?!" I raced out of my room and looked to the maid who was trying to do her work normally, dusting Eliza Judith's portrait, pretending she's deaf "WhAt did he just say?!" I asked her.

She just shrugged cluelessly and I went back into my room, crashing down onto my bed. I must've misheard. Or maybe I hallucinated, I'm not so sure nowadays.

Wait...

That blond dumbass took Diana's letter with him!! This thief!!! AGHHHHHH. What is with him today?!

--

Back in Siodonna, Diana sat on the grass with Mary and Cosette, enjoying freshly baked pastries together.

"I think that your prince friend is rude and arrogant." Mary said suddenly out of nowhere as she laid back on the grass.

"Are you talking about Claude?" Diana asked, looking at her.

"Oh so you're actually allowed to say his name." Her friend clicked her tongue.

"Well-"

"He probably treats everyone like slaves right? People say some nobles even whip their maids.." The brown haired dancer huffed.

"Hey don't say that it's awful." Cosette mumbled softly, chewing her snack.

"He's-...Actually I don't have him figured out." Diana said "But I know he doesn't treat anyone as slaves. He may be a little bit cold but he's not an arrogant noble. I think he's actually quite nice."

"You've been completely whipped for those people since you met them." Mary said on an accusing tone.

"Well let's just say I like them a lot-"

"Ahem no. You used to just talk about that Penelope and that Lilian, but ever since the prince helped you recuperate your scarf, now you're on about him too."

"Well I do have to thank him for this." Diana said "Without him I would've lost it forever!"

"Anything else happened when you went there?"

"We just talked." The magenta eyed girl shrugged "I tell you, he's not a mean person. If you get the chance to know him, you'll see how he really is like!"

"Does someone like me seem like I'll get 'the chance to know him'??" Mary scoffed.

"Well I did...We're of same positions. I think you do." Diana said.

"No, no Diana we don't. You're Diana. You look like a goddamnit fairy or the reincarnated goddess of spring. You're the dance prodigy, the shining star wherever you go. Everyone would notice you. You'd be able to seduce any noble you wanted-"

"Ew don't talk like that." Cosette made a face. "Mary you just kinda sound jealous..."

"Maybe I am jealous." The brown haired girl huffed "You've been in the spotlight ever since we turned 10. It's ridiculous Diana. Why is it that you always get everything?!"

Cosette noticed Diana's speechlessness, surprise, and saddened face. Mary had always been quite rash, picking up fights with anyone, but she'd never been THIS honest before.

Knowing how difficult it is to reply to something like that, Cosette spoke up in her stead:

"I think Diana just practices hard. Besides, nobody could chose how their face looks like. It's useless to envy something like that. Isn't it better to reinforce your own strengths instead of envying someone else's? Mary, I think you're more outgoing and dynamic. Not to mention more energetic."

"You're picking her side too aren't you.." the other one just replied.

"N-no I-"

Diana's turn to rescue Cosette.

"Look." She said seriously to Mary "I guess now we could say you have an issue with me. I never asked for the role of lead dancer, Mary. I never asked for this face either. Don't call me ungrateful, I'm not complaining, but I think I'd like to be known for other things than just my face. I think you're plenty beautiful too. As for the problem of the spotlight," She took a deep breath before she continued "It won't be a problem for long. I'm leaving the troop. I've decided to go solo. You'll be the new star, I hope you're happy."

She looked away, munching on a cookie.

"You're leaving?" Cosette asked as her eyes widened.

"Yeah." Diana said "I'm tired of putting up with Maisine all day."

The truth was that she became scared when at their last performance in a theater, instead of going back to freshen up as usual, she was called by the master to come greet his friends with her other older colleagues. She was then introduced as the 'Star'. What really horrified her was the way the men reacted.

'Oh yes a fine one indeed.'

'How beautiful, a real snack.'

'How'd you get your hands on such a rare gem?'

'How much for a night with this one?'

The master had never done anything like this to her before. He never showed her off this way without warning. There were a LOT of inappropriate comments about specific parts of her body and Diana wasn't a dumb naive girl. She knew where this was heading and that wasn't the future she saw for herself. She became profoundly disgusted in her own master and even some of her older colleagues.

She had to leave that place. Perhaps she should've left a while ago. She had saved enough money to live for at least 5 months till she could find a job.

"But-This is so sudden!" Cosette gasped.

"Yeah but I guess I want to live my life in a different way." Diana shrugged.

"Because of Maisine?" Mary asked.

"Amongst others. I guess I'm also sick of travelling all the time." Diana bit her lip, wondering if Mary and Cosette knew about the other side of being in the dance troop, should she warn them? Well duh yes of course "Uhm I-...A-Actually...Do-....Ah...Do you guys know where...where uhm you know...where Daphne and Karen and the others go after the show..?"

"Oh." Cosette just let out "Oh."

She looked down, indicating that she did.

"Oh you mean the ah uhm...the...ah um sex?" Mary raised an eyebrow.

"Wait you guys knew?!" Diana asked, puzzled.

Diana was so puzzled, she couldn't believe she was the last to hear about this.

"You're kinda innocent...." Mary explained "And the master insisted you remain fresh, pure and innocent for as long as possible..."

"But you guys want to stay even if you know you'll have to live through this?!" Diana asked "You actually want to do that-?!"

"Uhm, how do you think we were ever conceived?" Mary huffed while Cosette looked down.

"You actually want that?!?!" Diana shrieked.

"Um well at this point the idea no longer disturbs me." Her friend just shrugged "I mean, most of the clients would be insanely rich!! And the profits would go to me for the majority and-"

"That's very gross!!" Diana popped up. "It's disgusting!!! You can't just do...that...with people you don't know!!!"

"It has a name and it's sexual intercourse," Mary clicked her tongue while Diana scrunched her nose "It's not the worse thing on earth. Plus, you forget that Cosette and I actually have our mothers that we can't abandon here. We're tied to this dance troop and they don't want to leave. Plus it's not a big deal."

"Yes but it's disgusting!!"

"Meh. Depends on how you see it. My father could've been a noble who knows!!"

Diana said nothing as she got up and returned to the hotel they rented for 2 weeks. She had finished packing yesterday and everything was ready. She'll never understand Mary despite all these years spent together. They're friends. They've lived together, ate together, performed together. They've suffered the same punishments and harsh training. They've done literally everything together. But at the same time they both lived in completely different worlds. Diana can't take more of Mary's vision of the world and how it works, everything she says just seems so wrong and Diana can't even tell why. She can't stay in the dance troop. She doesn't want filthy hands touching her body, she's tired of the lustful glances, and she's disgusted by all the comments. She also feels like the master's 'guidance' is getting her nowhere. It's about time she gets some control on her life.

It's hers after all, not the master's, and she won't let him do as he pleases with it.

She's 15, old enough to get a job. She wants to find herself. She's able to make it in the world by now.

She'll miss a lot of people, but just the fact that she discovered recently that all her mentors, teachers and colleagues were...in fact...prostitutes, she can't help but feel distanced from them. She also gained a new despicable view of the master she once thought was decent. The fact that nobody is complaining also horses her.

Diana also knows that the master is getting old. She didn't want to stick around for the time where Maisine would take over the troop. That seemed too hellish to be true. As curious as she was of how the dancers would be treated, she didn't want to live through it.

"So you're really leaving?" Cosette asked at the door.

"Yupppo..." Diana sighed as she picked up her bag.

"Does the master know?"

"I told him yesterday."

"He just let you leave?" Cosette asked with round eyes.

"No. He bribed me with all sorts of things..." Diana confessed, reminiscing last night "When I declined all his offers, he yelled at me." She let out a dry chuckle "But he has no right to stop me from leaving."

"Do I have a say in this?"

Diana looked at her friend. Cosette was so sweet and nice. She was a reasonable person. Neither greedy nor needy. Diana noticed she never really knew what Cosette thought of their life.

"No." She said "I'm sorry Cozy..."

"Thought so." Cosette looked down "You'll really leave me here huh..."

"Come with me, I don't want to be alone yet..." Diana suggested.

"I can't. You heard Mary, I have my mother here." Cosette mumbled "I'm scared too you know. I don't want to do that..."

Diana pulled her into an embrace.

"Then don't."

"It's part of the contract to continue in the troop and my mother signed it for me already." Cosette said in her shoulder.

"Cozy...You could leave." Diana said "Run away. You could keep in touch with your mom using letters."

"No Diana. I guess I'll be glad at least you got out of here. I hope you the best really and wish you good luck. I know you'll get married to a good man." Cosette said as she pulled out "I'm fine here. I'll be cheering you on!"

"Cosette...I'll really miss you you know."

"Yeah. I know you'll miss Mary too."

The two friends smiled before Diana shuffled the bag onto her shoulder.

"You'll say goodbye to everyone for me?" She asked.

"Yeah. Be safe, Diana! I know being alone won't bring you down!! You'll be fine!!"

"You too Cosette. You're stronger than anyone would think."

They smiled at one another before Diana left the hotel room.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99K 3.3K 32
๐™ผ๐šŠ๐š—๐š‘๐š ๐šŠ : ๐–๐ก๐จ ๐Œ๐š๐๐ž ๐Œ๐ž ๐€ ๐๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐œ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ "Selene...what a beautiful name you have" "Thank you, and what is your name?" "...Claude" ๐‘†๏ฟฝ...
31.2K 870 21
In the world of Kim Iseul, a lonely and depressed child, life has been nothing but a series of abuse and neglect. Her parents and friends have subjec...
414K 16K 51
Why does Jennette get all the love while Athanasia is overshadowed by her? Claude ignores his own daughter only to dot on his niece. Life is truly un...
49.7K 1.6K 18
- WMMAP | Lucas X OC - Different goals. Different memories. But same hearts. - Disclaimer: I don't own who made me a princess. -