When They See Us (Book 1.0)

By SMMarie11

READ FIRST - BOOK 0.0 WHEN SHE SEES ME ❤️ "If you choose death because life is too damn hard, I'll join you a... More

Copyright © 2021 S.M.Marie
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty- Two
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-Three

3.5K 198 8
By SMMarie11

Adelaide

I've been stuck to Macy's side since Tuesday's incident, not wanting it to happen again. Chase hasn't come near us since. The students now treat Macy differently. They say hi to her and have tried to hold conversations with her. Instead of being the scum, as they say, she's now at the top of the food chain. Apparently, more than half of the students despised Chase's guts for tormenting them and were relieved when she kicked his ass. Popularity had blinded me to the real issue at this school. I could have made a difference a long time ago, but I was terrified of what others would think of me.

Macy isn't thrilled with the extra attention she's now getting. She continues to keep to herself. She is more concerned with not revealing how much she is suffering due to the withdrawal. I understand that school might be a source of additional stress for her, but she is determined to graduate and reduce her chances of remaining an addict forever. She has a strong support system, including me, and I hope it is enough to keep her going. You'd think that after not using narcotics for about a month, her withdrawal would be complete, but that's not the case. Physical withdrawal lasts three to five days on average, but emotional withdrawal might last much longer. Some symptoms like depression, anxiety, and insomnia, can continue for several months. The desire to give the substance to your body may go dormant or fade, but triggers may cause it to reappear.

The school body's newfound affection for Macy should make me feel better about the upkeep of my popularity, but to be honest, I'm beginning to lose interest. Brooklyn noticed this and is attempting to take over my popularity. This is my final year at Clearwater High, and the previous three years have been a complete sham. As far as I'm concerned, she can have everything. I just hope she realizes that fame doesn't mean anything if it means losing significant people and things in your life. It took me a while to see that.

I just wanted to be with Macy, regardless of how they perceived her. She was everything to me. I sometimes feel like I don't deserve to be with her after mistreating her for three years in a row. Never being there for her. Being part of the reason she descended into the abyss of addiction.

I promised myself I'd make amends to her for everything and that I would spend the rest of my life doing so.

"Where are we going?" Macy asks while following closely behind me. I stop in front of the closed gym doors.

"The volleyball team has practice today, and we have a game after school tomorrow," I say, shrugging with a smile. She looks back at the doors and sucks her teeth.

"I have to stay, don't I?"

"You don't have to... I can call my mom to come and get you early."

Her eyes stay on the door, and she can see Brooklyn through the glass window doing set drills. "Mays... I want you here. You don't have to be anywhere near the team."

She nods her head and shifts her bag strap on her shoulder. "Okay." I grin and kiss her cheek before turning around and walking into the gym. I'm late, which I never am, so hopefully, Coach doesn't get on my case about it.

"Ooh, someone's late to practice before game day," Brooklyn yells out loud. I'm not sure why she's trying to get into my pants one second, and then, once it's apparent that I don't like her and am interested in someone else, I'm suddenly her enemy.

"Ms. Reed, hurry and get dressed," Coach yells from the sideline.

"You got it." I turn to Macy. "We are about to head outside to the sand court. You can sit anywhere in the bleachers out there. Practice is only for an hour." She sighs and walks away to the outside bleachers. I can see her from here and watch as she picks a spot at the top and pulls her phone out before pulling homework from her backpack.

"Hurry up team captain," Coach yells again. Running to the locker room, I rush to get ready and make my way back out to the sandpit. Thankfully I didn't hear anything else from our coach, and practice went on.

Of course, I'm paired up with a sophomore while Brooklyn is on the opposing team. She is my biggest competition and will help me get ready for tomorrow's competition. As we were going over plays for our first game, I looked over and noticed Macy on the phone. I'm not sure who she's talking to. She hasn't used it to communicate with anyone since she moved in with us. She occasionally surfs social media or streams videos, but that's about it. Coach ends practice, and I wipe sweat and sand off my body before walking up the bleachers.

"Great practice," Macy says, putting her homework away into her bag.

"How would you know? I've never seen you at any of our games or practices."

"Just because you didn't see me doesn't mean I wasn't there. Remember, I used to be invisible to you."

I roll my eyes and change the subject. "Who was that on the phone?"

"Daniel." She says without hesitation.

"Oh?"

"He was just letting me know that your dad and Roger were able to get him into a recovery center under a different name, so the state doesn't know he's there. They are taking his phone, so he can focus on getting better, and he didn't know how long the process would take, so he called to let me know."

"Okay... well, that's good, right?"

She shrugs and grabs her stuff, standing up and walking towards my mom's car. "Daniel was in rehab while I rotted in the system for a year before I was adopted by him. It didn't last long. Who's to say this one will?"

When we reach the car, she drops the subject and gets into the back seat. I sit next to her and rest my head on her shoulder, tired from practice. I see mom looking at us in the rearview mirror, but she doesn't say anything. The car ride is silent between us three, and when we get home, Macy goes to her room, and Mom goes to hers.

"Hey Princess," Dad says, tossing me an orange juice. "How was practice?"

"Fine, Brook is acting like a bitch again."

"Language. Just because you turn 18 in 6 months doesn't mean you can disrespect other people or the rules of this house."

"Sorry." I slouch on the island chair.

"Forgiven. Your mother and I have something to talk to you about. You and Macy. Can you go get her?" I get to my feet and head upstairs to Macy's room. I knock, and she opens the door in a sports bra and shorts. She is standing there, brushing her hair. I've seen her like this countless times before, but recently, more and more alluring thoughts have entered my mind.

"Ah...um. My mom and dad want to talk to us downstairs."

She says okay and walks to her closet, grabbing a hoodie and walking out the door past me. I stand there staring at her backside. "Are you coming?" She asks, breaking me out of my trance.

"Yup, sorry I got a little distracted." I run down the stairs behind her, and my parents are in their room, sitting on the end of their bed. There is a couch in front of their bed under the mounted tv, and Dad points to it, indicating for us to take a seat. We do, and both sit there nervously. All I can think about is that Dad told Mom about the fight the other day, and now we're going to get cussed out?

"You aren't in trouble," Mom says, and Mays and I both sigh in relief. "We just want to have a safe sex talk with you two."

We both lean into the couch and groan loudly. They chuckle at us, amused. "Mom, if this is because of the question I wanted you to ask Dad, I take it back. Please spare us the embarrassment of this conversation."

"Wait, what question?" Macy asks, looking over at me.

"She wanted to know if you two could go to the beach house this weekend by yourselves."

"Why?" My face becomes flushed, and I turn away. Now I'm even more embarrassed.

"She just wanted to hang out with you without her parents' overbearingness. Learn more about you that she missed out on throughout her three years of acting like the school's Queen Bitch." Dad smirks, and I roll my eyes, but I'm grateful she saved me.

"Regardless, we still want to talk to you two about it. Thankfully, we know you're both clean right now. Macy, Adelaide was tested two months ago, and Adelaide, Macy was tested two weeks ago." Mom continues.

"2 weeks ago?"

"Just like you, Adelaide, she gets checked once a year."

"Yeah, no, I get that. But two weeks just seems like a little bit of a coincidence. You come to live with me and get tested while you're here. Were you expecting something to happen?"

"I..."

"No, its' fine, Mrs. Reed," Macy says, cutting my dad off. "It's not really a coincidence. Your dad found me in front of the school this month last year. It was only the beginning of my transition from over-the-counter medication to more dangerous drugs. When she discovered how I was getting them apart from Daniel, she pushed me to get tested on a regular basis."

"So you did sell yourself for drugs?" My question was laced with anger from her lying, as well as a tiny bit of envy that so many other people may have had her before me.

"I just didn't want you to look at me differently Adelaide. When the need is high..."

"You'd do anything for it... yeah, I get it." I rest my elbow on the edge of the couch and slouch against it.

"Okay, now that that's out of the way. Let's continue with this lesson."

"Mom, we've been taught sex education before."

"Yes, but school sex education is completely different. They are very hetero-centered. They miss a lot of important information."

Macy and I both sigh but open our ears to their lesson. They go on to say that just because we have the same parts doesn't mean we can't contract or spread an STI. They discussed sterilizing used devices or toys and being cautious when sharing them with one another. They made us aware that finger condoms, latex gloves/underwear, and dental dams exist and can be useful if we so desire. If we ever felt something was wrong, we should not be reluctant to seek their help. Macy and I eventually relaxed and laughed with them through the entire lesson. It was useful information, and we felt comfortable asking questions.

"Wait, is scissoring really a thing?" I say while we're all laughing about the school showing us how to put a condom on a banana. They all look at me and burst out laughing again.

"Yes," they all answer, and my cheeks heat up again.

"Don't be embarrassed, Sweet Pea. This is a safe space to ask," Mom says. I nod, but I believe I've asked all the questions I can think of.

"Anything else?" Dad asks. Macy and I look at one another, grinning and shaking our heads. "Okay, then this class is out of session," Dad says, clapping her hands.

"That's my line."

"You aren't a teacher anymore, remember?"

"Yeah, well, neither are you." My parents argue back and forth before getting that sensual look in their eyes like this might go further. Macy and I make a disgusted sound and get up to leave their room. "Oh, girls?" We both turn around with our eyes covered, and we hear them snickering. "You can take the car to the beach house this weekend. Please be safe driving and with any other activities you engage in."

"Thank you!" We both say, closing their door behind us. We still hear them giggling on the other side and looking at one another before busting out laughing and running back upstairs.

"How embarrassing!" I yell, falling over on my bed.

"Not really," Macy says, sitting next to me. "I never got to have that experience with my parents, so it was good to have it with yours. A little cringy at first, but I can tell they have your best interest at heart."

I sit up and glance at her through my straight hair. "Yeah. They do. Macy, why didn't you just tell me the truth. Why joke about it, then lie." She just shrugs. "I wouldn't have judged you for your past. I told you I'm here every step of the way. That includes accepting your past Mays."

"I know. I'm sorry." Her head is lower, and I palm her cheek, turning her to face me. I lean forward and press our lips together. She smiles into the kiss and places her hand on my cheek.

"Thank you for understanding." She speaks softly against my lips.

"Of course." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313K 10.7K 52
"I need you to stop bullying Reese." Oh, so it was because of her friend. "I-I will do anything, just make it stop." Her eyes softened along with her...
22.5K 803 50
Annabeth Reed had simple goals in her life, graduate at the top of her class, get a nice boyfriend and mostly win the scholarship to her dream art sc...
294K 16K 55
[LGBTQ+ Teen Fiction] (Editor's Choice July 2022) High school junior, Callie Washington, is currently in a dilemma. Attending an all-girls, Catholic...
126K 4.6K 29
It's not impossible to love a broken soul. But it takes a lot of time and patience. Inspired by : *. Take Me Home - Jess Glynne Alex is not your ordi...