Because There Is a Future

By SilverFox555

Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those in... More

Beginning Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Don't Let Her Go
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Rainbows and Fitzypoo
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Because There Is a Future
Epilogue

Chapter Nineteen

1.2K 26 12
By SilverFox555

"I thought Veta was kidding when she said you had a habit of getting hurt, but apparently not." Eve said. Sophie ripped her eyes open. She was in a white - completely white - room with only a bed and chair which Eve was sitting in.

"What happened?" Sophie croaked. 

"That I'm not exactly sure about." Eve confessed. "Veta rushed in the room carrying you, saying something went wrong in the ability triggering."

Maybe Sophie didn't have any ability here after all. She didn't know if she was glad or disappointed. "Where is Veta?"

"I don't know. Somewhere." Eve shrugged. 

"What are you doing here?" Sophie immediately wanted to take it back because it sounded rude, but she didn't want everyone to see her in a bad state. Eve laughed. 

"I work here." She told her. "I don't look like a physician, but I am."

Before Sophie could say anything about it, the door opened and Veta walked in. 

"Good, you're awake." She hesitated. "What happened?"

Sophie rolled her eyes, trying to sit up. But it seemed like tiny people were hammering in her brain. She groaned, clutching her head. 

Veta sighed, sitting on the edge of Sophie's bed. "Headaches are side effects of the ability triggering, so don't worry about it. Evexanda, give her an elixir. The real question is, did you trigger an ability."

Eve handed Sophie an elixir and she gulped it down in one huge swallow. "How am I to know?"

Veta rubbed her temples. "Usually, people would start getting... urges. Compellers would want to talk, or demand. Shapeshifters would feel something in their veins. And Foreseers will start getting sudden visions of the future. But you'll get the hang of it to only see the future when you want to. Does any of these matches to how you're feeling currently?"

Sophie shook her head no. "My head hurts, but that's it."

Veta frowned. Wasn't it obvious? Sophie didn't have an ability. There. It was as simple as that. 

"Telepathically call me when you're better." Veta tapped the side of her head and walked away. It was creepy, no kidding, how she knew everything about Sophie. 

"So, tell me about the Lost Cities." Eve asked. "Like, how was life there? Did you have any boyfriends?"

Sophie rolled her eyes, smiling. And she found herself telling Eve everything, from when Fitz found her to when she left. She only left out the key parts of the fight with the Neverseen, but said she did the inevitable there. 

"You had all these wonderful guys and didn't date any of them?" Was Eve's first comment after everything. Sophie raised her eyebrow and shrugged. 

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe it." Eve sputtered. "And those Council people are jerks. They kicked you out because you did the inevitable? That's messed up."

It was the unforgivable, really. She should have thought of a plan. She should've. But she didn't. She was a jerk. 

"Hey, none of the unsure looks." Eve leaned in close to Sophie. "I don't know what you did, but it wasn't your fault. Okay? Tell yourself that. You can't keep doubting yourself. What's done is done, so now, what you have to ask yourself is, what can you do from it?"

Sophie took in a deep breath, releasing it slowly. "Yeah. Yeah, you're right."

Eve smiled. Then her eyes found the clock. "Shoot. Sorry Sophie, but I gotta run."

She fumbled for a fancy bag.

Eve rushed out and came back a minute later, wearing a tight red V-neck dress. Her dark, wavy hair was hanging loosely on her shoulders. "How do I look?" She asked.

"Fabulous." Sophie smirked. "Have fun at wherever you're going!"

Eve grinned. She pulled out a spyball out of her bag. "Here, you can use it to see your friends. You're gonna be bored without me here." Eve winked but excused herself and ran out.  

Sophie looked at the spyball. It would show anyone -- her friends who thought she was a murderer, too. The adults and Keefe weren't there when the Council announced her crime, but she knew they knew it, along with the entire population of the Elvin world. Word spread quickly. 

"Show me Grady Ruewen." Sophie whispered. He was sitting next to Edaline with a mug of some sort of beverage in hand. They both had dark circles under their eyes, and Sophie knew it was because of her. It wasn't everyday people got news that their child killed one of the most important people in the world. 

Looking at them made Sophie's eyes well up with tears, but she blinked them back. She couldn't hear anything from the spyball, but she knew they sighed. All Sophie wanted to do then was reach in and tell them it wasn't real, or to erase all the memories they had of her. 

Sophie couldn't bear the sadness any longer. A tear dropped onto the spyball, and Sophie wiped it away. 

"Show me Tam Song." She croaked. He was wearing a black coat with stylish pants, walking down the street with... a woman. She had auburn hair, a tight black dress, and bright pink lips. Sophie squealed, the sad feeling evaporating temporarily. He deserved it. Maybe she was paranoid of being excited about someone who didn't know they were being spied on, but yes, yes, yes!

But maybe she had jumped to conclusions a little too early. A familiar brunette marched up the street into their view. She had her hands on her hips, her beautiful eyebrows arched questioningly. Sophie could see Tam gulp, and the woman beside him frowned at Biana. 

How Sophie wished she could make out what they were saying. Biana's mouth was moving furiously, and for the first time in Sophie's life, she saw Tam scared. Afraid. Sure, he had been cautious plenty of times in their missions, but they were all nothing compared to the look of pure fear on his face that instant. 

The woman next to Tam began yelling at Biana (or so Sophie assumed, for her eyebrows were arched down angrily and her mouth was moving as fast as Biana's.) Tam looked as though he wanted to be anywhere but there, and he was saying something too, but what it was, Sophie didn't know. 

"Show me Fitz Vacker." Sophie spoke again, her voice still choked from the laughter. 

He was sitting in a high, throne-like chair with a paper in hand. He was frowning, as if he did not understand what was on the paper. Then he suddenly looked up, his mouth moving. 

The door opened and in came Councilor Emery. He said something to Fitz, who bowed and nodded. Emery formed a little smile, said something, then walked out. Fitz was grinning like an idiot. 

"Show me Dex Dizznee." The poor boy was lovesick. 

Marella and Dex were in Dex's new shop, Marella sitting on the counter and Dex standing next to her. His arm was protectively wrapped around her petite waist, and she was laughing at whatever he had said. She leaned down and kissed Dex, and he did the same back to her, even more passionately. 

Smitten people. But good to know they were happy and alive. 

"Show me Linh Endal." Did she already have her baby or...? 

Her stomach was back to normal size, and she was in the backyard, reading a book that said Ten Important Facts About Hydrokinetics. 

There was no baby in sight. Maybe Wylie had them. 

"Show me Wylie Endal." He was talking fast paced to an elf with pointed ears. The ancient seemed annoyed with Wylie, but Wylie was persistent. 

But only one thing registered in Sophie's mind -- he didn't have the baby, either. What had happened?

"Show me Keefe Sencen." 

Not found. Error: 3105413853

Sophie frowned, putting the spyball on the nearby table. Where was Keefe? Was he alright? Maybe he was in trouble. Maybe, maybe, maybe...

She stretched out her head before she could register what she was doing. 

Keefe!?

Keefe! 

KEEFE, KEEFE, I SWEAR, IF YOU ARE IGNORING ME RIGHT NO-

Foster? His mental voice was soft, so fragile. 

Yes! Oh my god, are you alright? Where are you? Then she remembered why she wasn't with him. Keefe, I didn't mean to, I swear. I did it, but I didn't want to. I had to do it to save people. 

Her panicked thought was met with silence at first. Sophie was starting to think he had gone away, but then his thought came back, quieter than before.

Foster, wherever you are, whatever you are doing, don't come back. Keefe replied. It's not safe for you here anymore. I don't know what to believe. I want to believe you didn't kill her. I... I don't know, Foster. Everyone's pretty clingy to the thought that you killed her, but... I know my Foster, and even if she did do it, she had her reasons. She isn't a murderer. 

Sophie chocked back a sob. Do you really think so? 

Yes, I believe you. I know you didn't do it. Empath, remember? And as the president of the Foster Fan Club, I'm pretty sure I can't believe in false things. I've been working with the Council, and their feelings are conflicted. When they found out you were missing, they panicked. It was awesome. Only you would be able to trigger that sort of panic on them. Anyway, I think the Council wants someone to blame it on. They do know they don't know the full story, but sometimes, no matter how awful it is, people want to just blame people. 

Sophie smiled through her tears. Thank you, Keefe. You don't know how much that meant to me. 

Anytime. He replied. So, I have so many questions, but I'm going to ask this one first, since I don't have that much time anyway before Fitzipoo comes back. Are you safe?

The question startled Sophie. She had been expecting deeper questions. Yes, Keefe. I'm safe. Are you? I couldn't find you on the spyball. 

Why were you looking for me, huh? Am I too irresistible for you? Sophie could imagine his smirk. I don't know why you couldn't find me. I'll have to check later. And I have to go. Be careful, alright? And reach out to me anytime. I'll be here.

Sophie smiled. Thank you, you don't know how much you mean to me. 

Soft, blue breezes answered her thoughts. Did that work?

Woah, that's so cool. 

Listen, I hate to say this in the middle of our telepathic date, kidding, kidding, but I have to go. Bye, Foster. 

Bye. 

Her head was in a mess--

--but it didn't hurt anymore. 

She stretched out her mind, thinking about what Veta had said to reach out to her. 

Sophie? A voice spoke in her head. 

Yeah, and you're Veta. Sophie confirmed. 

Are you feeling better? Veta asked. Her mind was soft like sponge absorbing every thought. 

Yep. So, can we test and see my new ability? Sophie wanted to know.

I suppose so. Can you get the door for me? 

Sure enough, there was a loud knock on the door. Sophie stood up, blood rushing to her head. Her legs wobbled. She grabbed the edge of the bed, regaining her balance. 

She then walked slowly over to the door and opened it. Veta stood with her regal posture and a glass filled with something clear and another bottle with something black. 

"Drink this, it'll make you feel better." Veta told her, handing her the clear bottle. 

"No limbium?" Sophie questioned. 

Veta smirked and shook her head. "I know everything about you."

Sophie didn't know if she could trust this woman, but she drank it anyway. Her foggy mind instantly cleared except for one thought -- I want to fly. 

"I want to fly." Sophie piped out loud. Veta beamed at her. 

"Do it, then." Veta said it as if it was the simplest thing ever. 

Well, Veta, the question here is, how?

"Watch." She declared. "What animals can fly?"

"Uh... Birds?"

"At least you got something correct. Photographic memory, right? Easier for you lot. You think of the bird, until the very last detail... And boom, you're a bird. I'm a Compeller, so I can't show you what it is, but try it out."

She was a Shapeshifter. Sophie didn't know what she felt. Happy, that was for sure. But also exhausted for having so many abilities.  

Sophie thought of a bird... A pretty one. Its long feathers, pretty beak...

She felt herself transforming. It was getting faster, faster, faster. 

And Veta burst out laughing. 

Sophie couldn't see herself, but she knew she looked awful. Her body wasn't transformed, though. Sophie looked down and saw bird feet, not her own. And so, she did the one thing any sane person would do --

She screamed.

Veta continued to laugh. "It's alright, good job, you'll only get better from here, huh?"

Nope. Sophie tried, but no matter what she did, she couldn't get the hang of it. Once, feathers came out from her body and she screamed -- then, her eyes bulged out of her legs. 

It was horrifying, to say the least. 

But Veta stayed with her as she worked, even trying to order Sophie to do it. And let's just say Sophie would not want her to do it again. 

After the thirty-seventh try, (yes, Sophie counted,) Sophie finally managed to fully transform. 

Some parts were a bit lopsided, but nevertheless, she was a bird.

A Moonlark bound to fly.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL AMAZING. I THINK WE NEED AN APPRECIATION DAY FOR EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU. 

You are all beautiful, and I would really, really, really appreciate it if you vote and comment, but this will be the first and last time I will say it, because I hate being ordered to do stuff. If I do end up saying it later, then feel free to smack me. 

Enough rambling. But did I say how much you guys mean to me? THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH (cue the mental breakdown)

Dead Silverfox out 💀

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.8K 207 20
*This is my first story. No hate please!! Thank you!* ~ Sophie gets banished from the Elvin world but she did not do anything! She enters the human w...
14.4K 518 58
Sophie Foster is torn. Between two lives. Two sides. Two selves. Marella Redek is afraid. Afraid of the fear. Dex Dizznee is not worth it. Or so he t...
113K 1.7K 54
2/14/22: #1 in sokeefe!! Love, Keefe. Love, Keefe. Love, Keefe. Sophie couldn't seem to get the words out of her head. ~~~~ "You never know how much...
10.5K 119 30
Abandoned. Used. Betrayed. Sophie Foster has been failed by everyone she knows and loves. The only person who stays by her side is Keefe. The two mos...