Life in Zora's Domain - Part...

By Andremoi_88

For anyone who wishes more about Mipha's and Link's life together, this story is a sequel to "Life in Zora's... More

Chapter 1 - Accepting Responsibility
Chapter 2 - Astra and Purah
Chapter 3 - Family Agreements
Chapter 4 - Astra Meets Zelda
Chapter 5 - Catching Up and Diving Down
Chapter 6 - Astra and the Master Sword
Chapter 7 - Motivations
Chapter 8 - Astra Visits Zora's Domain
Chapter 9 - The Right Answers
Chapter 10 - Astra's Day at Zora's Domain
Chapter 11 - Relaxing Rain
Chapter 12 - Astra Returns to Kakariko Village
Chapter 13 - A Possible Future?
Chapter 14 - Astra Returns to Hateno Village
Chapter 15 - Anxious Awaiting
Chapter 17 - A New Life
Chapter 18 - Astra Meets Jerrin
Chapter 19 - Welcome Home!
Chapter 20 - Astra meets Kass
Chapter 21 - Astra Visits Gerudo Town
Chapter 22 - Astra Meets Goron Chief Yun
Chapter 23 - Family Changes
Chapter 24 - Astra Visits the Thyphlo Ruins
Chapter 25 - Memories and Nightmares
Chapter 26 - Astra Gets a Scolding
Chapter 27 - Gossip
Chapter 28 - Like Father Like Daughter
Chapter 29 - Yiga Clan Hideout
Chapter 30 - Near and Far
Chapter 31 - Attack on the Yiga Clan
Chapter 32 - Childish Behavior
Chapter 33 - Princess Coronation
Chapter 34 - Clearing the Air
Chapter 35 - Washing Away Regrets
Chapter 36 - Revisiting Riju
Chapter 37 - Astra Departs Gerudo Town
Chapter 38 - Coping with Change
Chapter 39 - New Time with Old Friends
Chapter 40 - Astra Visits Ruta
Chapter 41 - Mipha's Diary Lost Pages
Chapter 42 - Ancient Energy Miracle
Chapter 43 - Am I Still Me?
Chapter 44 - Spreading the News
Chapter 45 - Bonding and Memories
Chapter 46 - Moving On
Chapter 47 - Mushroom Memory
Chapter 48 - Small Decisions
Chapter 49 - Lake Akkala
Chapter 50 - Getting Acquainted
Chapter 51 - Memory and Princess Power
Chapter 52 - Bad Choices
Chapter 53 - Combat Training Plans
Chapter 54 - Building Good Relations
Chapter 55 - Meeting the Family
Chapter 56 - Getting Better Acquainted
Chapter 57 - Echolocation
Chapter 58 - Mood Swings
Chapter 59 - Just Desserts
Chapter 60 - Explaining Astra

Chapter 16 - Astra Journeys to Akkala

184 1 1
By Andremoi_88

Summary: Astra and Purah travel to the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. Astra's resemblance to Link triggers some recollections along the way.

It was a sunny morning at the Hateno Ancient Tech Lab, and before leaving her room and joining Purah for breakfast, Astra took a moment to update the journal she had been keeping on her Tab.

Year 142 - Month 10 - Day 9

It's hard to believe that today marks only one week since I first arrived on snowy Mount Lanayru. So much has happened in such a short time!

I was chosen by the sword that seals the darkness, and I am in awe at the responsibility that comes with it and the trust the Goddess has shown in me. I am the one she has chosen to protect her people and her beautiful land! I pray every day I will have the strength, wisdom, and courage to live up to all needed of me.

My meetings with Dr. Purah and Queen Zelda have gone well for a start. I also had fruitful discussions with King Dorephan, Prince Sidon, and Impa's granddaughter, Paya. I hope I can help Zelda overcome her grief in some small way, though I know some wounds may never truly heal. All we can do is accept what fate has brought us and do our best to deal with it. At least I can try to comfort her over her loss. I also know what loss feels like. I miss everyone I left behind and always will. But I accept that this is where I am needed. The more I learn about the Yiga Clan and the suffering they have inflicted, the more I am filled with resolve to destroy them and enable all good people to live here in peace. I am honored to have the chance to finish the job my father started over twenty years ago.

Astra put away her Tab and then joined Purah for breakfast in the lab.

"After we finish eating, I need to go into town to pick up some rice, eggs, and Endura Mushrooms from the East Wind general store," said Purah. "Do you want to come with me or stay here? I will lock up either way."

"I'll accompany you and help carry things," said Astra. "I'm supposed to be your assistant after all. And it looks like a fine day to be outside. I hope there's no harm in leaving my hood off now and showing my face. I enjoy the feel of the sun and fresh air."

"I'm sure it's fine," said Purah. "I was probably being overly cautious at first. You obviously don't need to be a Sheikah to work on ancient technology. In fact, Jerrin, who became Robbie's wife, is a Hylian with blonde hair like you, and she worked as my competent assistant for years before I sent her off to help Robbie."

After finishing breakfast, Purah locked up, and they headed down the hill together, past lanterns glowing with blue flames.

"Believe it or not, it was your father who lit those lanterns over 25 years ago, and they're still burning," said Purah as they walked together. "The fire burns from a special form of ancient energy, and even rain doesn't extinguish it."

"Amazing," said Astra, who reflected it was yet another reminder of her father.

They passed some quiet houses and then crossed a small wooden bridge that spanned part of Zelkoa Pond and led into the Hateno Village main street.

"I'll check for mail at the inn on our way back," said Purah as she nodded toward the Great Ton Pu Inn. "I have all my mail delivered there since I don't like people coming up to the lab."

The East Wind general store was open for business at the far end of town. When Astra and Purah entered the store, the proprietor named Ivee looked startled at first but then quickly recovered her composure and greeted Purah.

"Good morning, Dr. Purah," said Ivee. "I'll be with you in a minute."

There was a mother and her young son who looked about nine or ten years old finishing their shopping ahead of them, and the son kept staring at Astra. Then he tugged at his mother's sleeve and whispered something to her, nodding at Astra. The mother turned to look at Astra and then spoke softly to her son, who was still staring at Astra.

"Haven't I told you it's impolite to stare, dear," said the mother. "And you should realize it can't possibly be him."

"But it looks just like him, Mom! I can show you his picture in my history text when we get home," whispered the boy, but still loud enough to be heard.

"Don't be silly, dear! For one thing, she's a girl."

Then the mother turned to Astra.

"I apologize for my boy's behavior, miss, staring at you like that and talking about you as if you're not here," said the mother.

"It's fine," said Astra with a smile. "Is anything wrong?"

"Oh, it's silly. My son thinks you're the lost hero of Hyrule, miraculously returned to us unchanged after over twenty years. He said you look just like the picture of Link in his history textbook."

"Oh, I see," laughed Astra. "Well, don't feel bad about that, and thank you for the compliment. Others have also pointed out the resemblance. But I assure you, I'm not him."

"No, no, of course you're not, miss," laughed the mother. "And apologies again. We will just pay for our order and be on our way."

The mother paid for some milk and eggs, then left with her son. They could see her talking to him through the window, probably gently scolding him about the importance of good manners.

"The usual, Dr. Purah?" said Ivee.

"No, double the usual, I think, since I have company now," said Purah. "Oh, Ivee, let me introduce my new assistant, Astra."

"Pleased to meet you, Astra, and welcome to our village," said Ivee. "I think you'll like it here if you enjoy peace and quiet. People here are friendly and neighborly if you speak with them, but generally mind their own business otherwise."

"Thank you, peace and quiet can be very welcome sometimes," said Astra.

"But forgive me, Astra, I can understand the little boy's confusion. You do resemble the famous hero Link, and I must admit that it gave me a start seeing you walk through the door. As you probably know, Link lived just up the hill on the other side of Firly Pond and used to shop here when my father Pruce ran the store. I was usually busy with chores back then, mostly sweeping up outside, but Link would always stop to say hello to me and ask how I was. He would also chat with my little brother, Azu, if he ran into him playing somewhere. But that's how Link was: a famous hero and personal friend of Her Majesty, but not stuck up or given to putting on airs and such. You felt he truly cared about you when he spoke with you, and he would do what he could to help you if you needed it. We were all very sorry when we learned he was gone. Anyway, forgive me for prattling on. Let me help get your order ready, Dr. Purah. We have a fresh batch of Endura Shrooms that just arrived," said Ivee.

Purah paid for the merchandise, thanked Ivee, and Astra helped carry it out of the store.

"That was interesting," said Astra. "I guess I should have expected it, but it never occurred to me that Link would be pictured in history books here."

"To be honest, I forgot too," laughed Purah. "But wearing your hair short as you do certainly increases your resemblance to Link."

"I prefer it short," said Astra as she touched her hair. "My sister likes to wear her hair long, but that's more trouble to care for and can interfere with combat."

"True," said Purah. "Well, here we are at the inn. Let me check for any mail."

Astra waited outside as Purah checked with the proprietor of the inn and emerged a moment later holding a letter.

"It's clearly from Zelda given the royal insignia on the envelope and must have been Rito delivered overnight," said Purah. "We can read it back at the lab. And let's pick up some apples on the way back."

When they arrived at the lab, after putting away the groceries, Purah opened the letter and read it out loud.

Dear Astra and Purah,

It was a pleasure spending time with you both, and I trust your journey to Hateno Village was safe and uneventful.

I have arranged for a meeting with the Rito chief, Kass, at Hyrule Castle at midday on the 15th, and it's important that you both attend. Please let me know at once if that is not possible. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you both then, if not before.

Yours,

Zelda

Queen of Hyrule

"Well, that gives us a few days in the meantime to do what we want," said Purah as she tossed the letter into the lit fireplace and watched it burn up. "If you feel up to traveling, I suggest we pay a visit to Jerrin at the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab. It's a two-day journey each way. But it would be good for Jerrin to meet you, and you may be able to pick up some useful weaponry or armor from her or her son Granté there."

"That's fine," said Astra. "I'd like an opportunity to meet her and see more of Hyrule on the way. And today looks like a fine day to start a journey."

"Let me cook some food to pack for our lunch, and we can be on our way."

"I can help," said Astra. "I'm your assistant, remember?"

"I only wish, Your Highness!" laughed Purah. "Then I could learn all about the Hyrule you came from."

After preparing food to carry with them, they made their way back to the inn to retrieve their horses, fed them each an apple, and were soon underway, heading west out of the village.

"Unfortunately, there is no direct road north to the Akkala region," said Purah as they rode. "We have to travel west all the way to Kakariko Village, where we can spend the night and then pick up the road north near Trilby Valley the next day."

"It's fine," said Astra. "I'm enjoying travel by horseback."

"May I ask how you would have gotten to Akkala from Hateno Village in your former timeline?"

"We have high-speed ferry service there now," said Astra. "We could have boarded a ferry at Hateno Bay and taken it north along the coast. It's a lot faster and more convenient."

"Nice! I hope someday when more of our restoration work is completed, we can turn our efforts toward developing such advances," said Purah. "You wouldn't happen to know more about the technical details of the propulsion system used?"

"Other than it is based on ancient energy, I'm afraid I don't," laughed Astra. "I spent all my time learning swordsmanship, archery, and combat techniques, along with the usual academic subjects. I only studied a bit of Sheikah technology. I think you would soon fire me as your assistant if I truly were."

"Well, that is all understandable," laughed Purah. "Your father was much the same way, very practical-minded. I remember when I upgraded some of the runes on Zelda's Sheikah Slate for him, he was like, don't tell me the theory of why it works. My memory is a mess anyway, and I won't understand you. Just tell me how to use it to defeat enemies and further my mission."

They continued on their way past Camphor Pond and the northern shore of the Fir River beneath the towering, stony gray Cliffs of Quince. But it was along the road there that they had their first encounter.

A solitary female traveler was sobbing by the side of the road and was precisely the kind of person people were warned to avoid. All Astra's instincts told her this individual was not who she appeared to be. But, if it was indeed someone in trouble, Astra felt duty-bound to help her. Astra raised her hand to Purah as she reined in her horse and dismounted.

"Be careful," whispered Purah. "I would have preferred not to stop."

"And if you were alone, I agree you should not stop. But I want to send another message to our enemies if this turns out to be one," said Astra.

She walked over to the woman with white hair who was cowering and sniffling, an enormous pack on her back.

"What's wrong?" said Astra.

"I want...I need...," said the woman between sobs.

"What do you need?" said Astra.

"I need...grilled salmon," said the woman, obviously groping for something to fill in her lie.

"You what?" said Astra.

Then the woman straightened up, and all signs of sobbing were gone as she glared at Astra.

"You are the hated Dr. Purah's companion, so I say begone, enemy of my master!" the woman snarled, and with a wave of her hands, she transformed into a Yiga Clan warrior several paces away and crouched, preparing to charge Astra with weapon drawn.

But the battle was over almost before it began.

Astra quickly readied her shield, and when the warrior charged and struck at Astra with her weapon, Astra timed a perfect shield parry that stunned the warrior long enough for Astra to strike her three times with the sword that seals the darkness. With a bitter cry of anguish, the warrior disappeared in a puff of smoke, leaving behind two servings of Mighty Bananas, 75 Rupees, and a vicious Demon Carver weapon lying on the grass.

"I'll take all this," said Astra after sheathing her sword. "I suspected she was Yiga Clan, but it's time we started eliminating enemies, not simply avoiding them."

"Yes, well done," said Purah as Astra mounted her horse, and they resumed their ride. "I know the Yiga are eager to eliminate me, and you being with me makes you a target as well, even if they don't know who you are yet."

It was late afternoon as they crossed the Kakariko Bridge over Lake Siela and followed the road as it turned east along the northern shore of Lake Siela and then wound through the tall green rounded Pillars of Levia. And the sunset sky had turned a beautiful shade of orange by the time they finally reached Kakariko Village.

"I hate to criticize my own cooking," said Purah as they pulled up and dismounted in front of Paya's house and handed off their horses for care. "But it will be nice to have a proper meal."

Paya welcomed them both and explained her daughter Layna was away on a mission.

"So, please don't feel you are putting anyone out by staying in Layna's room, highness," said Paya. "Did you bring the Endura Mushrooms I asked for, Aunt Purah?"

"Yes, dear, we shopped this morning, and they're nice and fresh," said Purah. "Now, let's prepare dinner! We need to get an early start for our long ride to Akkala tomorrow, so we can't stay up late tonight chatting."

Dinner was tasty, and they all retired afterward. Astra wrote a small thank you note to Layna for the use of her room, leaving it on her desk, then went to bed and promptly slept.

They had a light breakfast first thing the next morning and were underway early, heading west down Sahasra Slope and then northeast across the Lanayru Wetlands. They trotted slowly across the wooden platforms that connected the small islands there and past a shrine that glowed blue until they reached a partially restored Goponga Village.

"Zelda has been restoring as many of the ruined villages as quickly as possible, which has been challenging given the initial lack of skilled workers," said Purah. "She has been prioritizing work on the settlements based on how badly they were damaged and on how strong the interest is in living there. This one here is lower on the list because of the wetlands, but eventually, it will be rebuilt."

"It's good to see that," said Astra. "And I can imagine how hard it must be to recover from so much devastation."

They eventually joined up with the road just west of Inogo Bridge. But instead of heading east toward Zora's Domain, they took the northern fork that led past Trilby Valley and through a forest of evergreen trees and then took the eastern fork to the Ternio Trail.

The road was barren here, and Upland Zorana's massive cliffs stood to their right, one of the natural barriers to an attack on Zora's Domain. The Akkala Citadel stood straight ahead in the distance but looked damaged and still undergoing restoration. When the road branched again, they took the path to their left that crossed the Akkala Span and led to the South Akkala Stable, where they stopped to rest their horses and have lunch. They stepped inside the stable after handing over their horses for care and paying the fee.

"It's not much further, but this is a good place to stop, and it looks like rain," said Purah.

And indeed, even as she spoke, there was the sound of thunder, and a few minutes later, a steady rain began falling. One of the stable workers rushed inside and began speaking with the woman at the desk as she brushed off some raindrops. Then she turned to look at Purah and Astra.

"We still have plenty of time," said Purah. "I sent a letter from the inn yesterday morning to alert Jerrin we were coming. The Rito have been very gracious about providing rapid letter delivery. We should probably eat our lunch while we wait."

The stable wasn't busy, and Astra and Purah ate their lunch at the small table inside the stable that was decorated with a vase containing two purple Armoranth flowers. And it was after they finished eating their lunch and the storm began to abate that the worker approached them.

"Welcome, my name is Jenna, and my sister Kaifa and I run this stable," said Jenna. "I see you had lunch. Can I get you anything else?"

"No, thank you, we're fine," said Purah. "We were just waiting out the storm. I hope you don't mind us using your table."

"No, no, not at all," said Jenna. "Travelers are always welcome. We're a very self-sufficient stable, growing our own vegetables and raising our own livestock."

Then Jenna paused before speaking with Astra.

"But seeing you, Miss, triggered a memory of a time when my father Dmitri still ran the stable and I worked on the flowers. My little sister Gleema wanted a collection of dragonflies for her birthday, and a traveler who looked much like you was obliging enough to get them for her. I was terrified of them back then and still find them creepy. Later we learned who the traveler was, no less than the Hero of Hyrule Link, and we were all stunned. You remind me a good deal of him. Are you by any chance a relation of his, Miss?"

"That's an amusing story," said Purah. "But I heard Link was like that, always willing to help others despite his heavy responsibilities. So, what happened to your little sister?"

"Oh, Gleema went on to study insects and works as a scientist at the Royal Hyrule Museum now," said Jenna. "She can sometimes be found making field trips to identify new species and add to their collection."

"We will keep an eye out for her in our travels," said Purah. "But it looks like the storm has let up, and we should be on our way."

Purah and Astra said farewell, retrieved their horses, and left.

"I thought it best not to discuss your heritage, of course. I suppose these stables have changed a good deal where you came from," said Purah as they rode.

"Yes, though they still accommodate horses and lodgers," said Astra. "But most people prefer mechanized travel, including public vehicles we call PATs that can carry many riders. They're much faster and can be more relaxing too. For example, a rainstorm won't hold travel up."

"Point well taken," said Purah. "I can see why many would prefer it."

The road to the north was barren at first, but then led into Shadow Pass. Despite its ominous-sounding name, the pass was quite beautiful, with trees sprouting fall leaves of red, yellow, orange, and gold mixed in with green. Eventually, the colorful woods gave way to an open field, and as they neared the Spring of Power, Astra spoke up.

"I should like to make a brief stop at the Spring of Power and pray to the Goddess," said Astra.

"Of course," said Purah. "I will pray as well."

They steered their horses through the Ordorac Quarry and then entered the spring itself on foot. The spring looked the same as Astra remembered it, and she bowed her head and said a silent prayer before the tall statue of Hylia. The figure briefly glowed, as if recognizing who Astra was, then faded. After Astra finished her prayer, they resumed their ride, intending to stop at the North Akkala Stable nearby.

"I prayed at the three sacred springs where I came from, of course, but would like to do so here as well," said Astra as they rode. "Only the Spring of Courage remains now."

"I'm sure there will be an occasion to visit the Faron Region," said Purah. "I think it appropriate you do visit all three sacred shrines."

"We can board our horses here," said Purah when they arrived at the stable. "They will be well taken care of, and the lab is only a short walk up the hill. It might be best if we eat here as well."

They ate a light dinner, and the sun was setting as they made their way up the hill to the lab. The lab reminded Astra very much of the lab in Hateno Village. It had the same blue flame furnace in front and the same type of enormous telescope mounted to the roof. A windmill turned slowly in the breeze from the Akkala Sea at the rear of the structure.

"I don't travel here often," said Purah. "But the grounds used to be littered with Guardians that Robbie experimented with or scavenged for parts. They fixed up the place quite a bit since then to make it more livable. Anyway, let's go in and introduce you."

Purah knocked on the door, and it was opened by a man who looked to be in his early forties with blond hair and blue eyes and wearing a Sheikah outfit.

"Come in, Dr. Purah, and you must be Astra. I'm Granté, Dr. Jerrin's son," said Granté as he welcomed them inside, took a glance outside, then closed the door and locked it.

"Welcome to the Akkala Ancient Tech Lab, Astra, and nice to see you again, Purah," said an older Hylian woman who got up from her seat. "As you already know, I'm Jerrin."

"Pleased to meet you," said Astra.

"Have you eaten?" Granté asked.

"Yes, we just ate at the stable, thanks," said Purah.

"Then I imagine you must both be tired from your long journey," said Granté softly. "I've set up rooms for both of you upstairs. Mother gets tired early these days, so it might be best to put off our discussion until tomorrow if that's alright. But I know she is quite keen to speak with you."

"That's fine," said Purah. "Then we will say goodnight. I know my way to the rooms and will show Astra."

After exchanging good nights, Purah led Astra to the structures near the top of the building, two of which had been made up as bedrooms.

"See you in the morning," said Purah. "And don't be misled by Jerrin's tiring early. She knows a great deal from working with Robbie and is as sharp as ever."

"I can believe it," said Astra. "Goodnight."

Astra closed the door to the structure, then opened the window in her room and gazed out. Her window faced north toward the Akkala Sea, and it was dark out now. All you could see clearly was the blue glow from an ancient shrine at the heart of Lomei Labyrinth, another shrine her father must have visited. And beyond that stood the dark peaks that marked the beginning of North Hyrule.

Speaking of North Hyrule, she had promised her father not to bring up the subject. Her father had cautioned her about it, and she remembered one of their conversations.

It was a sunny afternoon, and she was walking with Link by the Sacred Grounds. She had just checked her Tab for a message from her mother telling them when to return for dinner.

"By the way, when you eventually show Dr. Purah your Tab, try to avoid saying where the technology came from," said Link.

"North Hyrule?"

"Yes," said Link. "There is something mysterious about their relationship to time travel in Hyrule. They somehow insulated themselves from it at one point. But I never understood what that meant or how it would work, particularly when our timelines split. Anyway, the last thing you want to do is fall into the clutches of that evil Queen Sopha if she is indeed the ruler of their realm then. So, I think it best to leave well enough alone and ignore North Hyrule. The North Hyrule Sheikah have some rule about using their technology only for defense, so there is no need to fear an attack or any harm from them."

"I understand and will do as you wish, Dad," said Astra. "Now, can we stop worrying about my future and enjoy the afternoon together? It's beautiful here, and this was a special place for you once, right?"

"Yes, sorry, sweetheart," said Link as he hugged and kissed her on the cheek. "I only worry about everything because I love you. You still remember how much, right?"

"As much as there are stars in the sky, Dad, how can I ever forget?" smiled Astra as she hugged and kissed him back. "And I hope you know I love you just as much."

"And I still love you, Dad," sighed Astra. "I miss you and wish we could have had more time together."

Then she said a prayer, closed the window, climbed into bed, and fell right asleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51.5K 567 22
What if Mipha put her love for Link and concern for Zelda ahead of Daruk's plan to rush to her Divine Beast? This story takes place in an AU that beg...
108K 5K 44
((read whole description to know what you're getting into xD)) There is a secret hiding in the nation of Hyrule. For centuries this land has been a...
171K 2.6K 184
An AU about Mipha's and Link's life together post Calamity. I tried to have some fun with this story, taking it in different directions, developing...
3.7K 150 46
The story is around a hundred years later after the calamity Ganon took over hyrule. Hyrule is in great danger! Not only that, humans and other bein...