Life Changes » Marcus Armstro...

By uniquexus

I genuinely fell for someone when I wasn't searching for love, I was searching for peace. I was searching for... More

Author's Note
Prologue.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eightteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twentyone.
Twentytwo.
Twentythree.
Twentyfour.
Twentyfive.
Twentysix.
Twentyseven.
Twentyeight.
Twentynine.
Thirty.
Thirtyone.
Thirtytwo.
Thirtythree.
Thirtyfour.
Thirtyfive.
Thirtysix.
Thirtyseven.
Thirtyeight.
Thirtynine.
Fourty.
Fourtyone.
Fourtytwo.
Fourtythree.
Fourtyfour.
Fourtyfive.
Fourtysix.
Fourtyeight.
Fourtynine.
Fifty.
Word of Thanks
New book: Charles
Other books
New book: Her

Fourtyseven.

2.3K 95 10
By uniquexus

Luna checked the letterbox when she was standing in the main hall. Just a final check of this year, even though she and Jane never get any letters. Luna would go to her parents for Christmas and to Robert in Russia after that.

"Jane, you've got a letter," Luna said and looked at Jane, who was walking down the stairs. "It's good that I checked the letterbox before leaving."

When Jane got downstairs, she let her bag drop on the ground and sat down on one of the steps. "A letter?" She stuck out her arm and took a deep breath. "Let me see it," she breathed and tried to catch some breath. Luna gave the envelope to Jane. "Gosh, being sick is horrible."

"You're just crazy for flying to New Zealand while you have the flu," Luna shared. "I know you've waited for this and know how exciting it is, but you're sick. I don't think this is a good idea."

One week later and Jane was still sick. She was feeling better, and the fever dropped back to the average temperature, but she still wasn't feeling completely recovered. She dared to go, hoping it wouldn't worsen during the flight.

Jane ignored Luna; she was right, but... I'm not that sick anymore. She opened the envelope and pulled out a card. It was a birthday card. "Awh," she hummed and opened it. A birthday message was written on it. "It's from Fede and Francy, and of course Emma and Giuseppe."

"Sweet," Luna smiled. Jane handed over the card. "'Buon compleanno, Jane! It's early and not your birthday yet, so cheers on celebrating your (early) birthday. Enjoy your trip to New Zealand, we hope you're feeling better now. Happy birthday, merry Christmas and happy new year!' Bro, this is sweet."

"It is. I will send a thank you message, and then off we go," Jane mentioned and coughed a few times.

"Take your time. I will start the car." Luna took Jane's suitcase with her to the car. A month ago, Luna got her driver's license and was happily driving around on her own now. Including being everyone's taxi - a job Jane had before. Luna put the suitcase in the truck and stepped behind the steering wheel to start the engine. "Ready?"

"Yep." Jane stepped in next to her, closed the passenger door and fastened her seatbelt.

"Nervous?"

"A little bit. I've never travelled this far, never even went outside of Europe. And I hope I won't get kicked off the flight."

Luna drove away. "No, you won't get kicked off. Nobody will know you're still recovering if you don't know it. Eat some vitamins before you board and during the flight, and keep drinking water. And just smile and wave. Where are your layovers?"

"Singapore and Sydney. Twelve-hour flight to Singapore, six-hour layover, eight hours to Sydney, two-hour layover and then three hours to Christchurch."

"Holy moly, it sounds like a living hell."

"I'm so not looking forward to it. 31 hours of travelling. But I get to see Marcus and visit New Zealand," Jane replied. "Compromising."

"Good luck, I'm thinking of you." Luna entered the motorway. "You have to vlog, I want to see your adventures in the air. You're flying with Singapore Airlines and Qantas, right?"

"Yep." Jane chuckled. "I will try. Economy class, don't think you will get the most amazing vlogs."

"And update me when you have your layovers."

"Yes, mum."

"No, for real, Jane. You're still not 100 per cent better, and I can't keep an eye on you, so be clear with your updates."

After an hour, Luna stopped the car at the kiss and ride section at the Milan Malpensa Airport. It was busy, but more like the typical busy.

"Have a safe trip, girlie," Luna smiled.

"Thank you. And thanks for dropping me off," Jane gratefully said and stood in front of her best friend. "Merry Christmas, happy new year, enjoy your time with your family and send them my best wishes."

Luna nodded and hugged Jane. "Oh crap, we're hugging now," she said, they didn't want to be in each other's space to prevent further sickness. "Anyway, thank you. You too." She pulled back. "Say hi to Marcus."

"You to Robert. I love you, Lun."

"I love you, Jane." Luna watched how Jane walked away with her suitcase. It was freezing in Italy, making Luna to getting back into the car again. Jane turned around and waved. A smile curved on Luna's face, and she waved back.

Jane walked to the correct baggage drop-off of Singapore Airlines. It wasn't that busy; however, the vacations still had to begin. When Jane arrived at the baggage drop-off, she showed her boarding pass to the ground steward - he was making sure the passengers went to the right lines: economy, priority and business.

"You have premium tickets, ma'am," the steward said and did one step to the right. He pointed at the priority baggage drop-off.

Jane's eyebrows raised, premium tickets? I booked economy tickets... She quickly changed her confused look to a smile. This is Marcus. "Ah, I see. Thank you," she politely said. Marcus, Marcus, Marcus, he upgraded it.

"No problem, ma'am," he smiled, it was a forced smile.

She noticed it, she always wondered what the story of these people was. Did they like their job and have just a bad day, or did they hate it and couldn't get out of the trusted environment? "Have a nice day," Jane warmly smiled. "Happy holidays." She got the reaction she wanted: a genuine smile. Jane walked towards the desk and placed her suitcase on the weight scale.

The steward walked to the same desk and said something to the lady behind the desk, who nodded and looked something up on her computer. Jane ignored it, she just didn't pick up the words. Instead, she was grabbing her passport from her bag.

"The last flight doesn't have any seats available to upgrade," the lady mumbled.

The steward sighed. "Let's do the other two."

"Certo!" the lady replied. "Signora, we have given you an upgrade. You will be flying business class with Singapore Airlines to Singapore and business class with Qantas to Sydney. Unfortunately, there are no other seats available on your last flight to Christchurch, that will stay economy."

Jane's eyes widened once again, business class? What the heck? It's my dream, but I can't just accept this. Those seats are expensive AF and for the rich only. I'm a poor student. I look homeless right now, with my sick head. "Oh, no, that's not necessary," she said, declining the upgrade.

"It's on us," the steward warmly smiled, the smile reached his eyes. What a few simple words could do... "Happy holidays, signora Olafursdóttir."

»

Marcus took a deep breath and looked at his watch. The time was moving too slow for his liking. He was scanning the almost empty arrival halls, he was waiting for the last flight to arrive. Marcus was wiggling on his legs, he had no idea how to stand normal anymore. The wait was almost over now. The 31 hours were long, it usually would be over within a second, but when he got the message the flight in Italy was leaving, it felt like it were 62 hours instead of 31.

The doors slid open for the first time in a while. All eyes were plastered on the persons who were entering New Zealand. People were waiting for their loved ones to arrive. It was a young family to walk out.

The doors opened again. Marcus crossed his arms in front of his chest and looked hopeful at it. A relieving feeling entered his body, and a smile covered his face. He watched how Jane was looking around, scanning the area. When their eyes met, Jane looked relieved as well. She started to walk towards Marcus at a fast pace, but not running. The suitcase made it difficult to do that. Marcus walked towards her and opened his arms.

Jane let go of her suitcase and walked into his arms. Her eyes filled with tears, and she felt pressure behind her eyes. Everything came out; the feeling of missing someone, being sick, tiredness, performance and the long flight. She gasped for air, and some tears escaped without warning.

"Hello, my love," Marcus softly said and tightly wrapped his arms around her. It had been just a little over a month since the last time they saw each other. "God, I missed you so much."

"I missed you..." she mumbled and pulled back. "...so freaking much."

His face softened. "Awh, babe," he whispered, wiping away the falling tears. A glossy layer covered his eyes, it suddenly hit him.

A shy smile came on her face. Jane put off her backpack and looked around, people were watching them, but as soon their person walked through the sliding doors, it stopped. She looked back at Marcus and began to giggle. "Oh, goodness."

"You're here," Marcus said.

She sniffed and nodded. "I'm here."

He cupped her face in his hands and dried her cheeks.

"Are we gonna kiss?"

"Yes. Why not?" Marcus confusedly scanned Jane's face.

"I'm still sick."

"I don't care, silly," he said and kissed her. "I haven't kissed you for over a month. So I'm taking every chance I get to kiss you," he whispered against her lips and locked their lips.

Jane smiled against Marcus' lips. It felt good, trusted...

He pulled back. "Shall we go?" Jane nodded. "You were fast, like the second person to walk through their doors."

"Priority, huh?"

A cheeky smile came on his face. Jane grabbed her bag, but Marcus grabbed it from her and put it on his back. "How was your flight?" He wrapped his arm around her shoulders and grabbed the handle of her suitcase.

"You don't have to do this..."

"You just flew 18.000 kilometres. The least I can do now, babe."

She slowly nodded and pressed a kiss on his cheek. They walked towards the car park. "The flights were long. Also, thank you for the upgrade. You shouldn't have done that. Really."

"You're welcome. I hope it made your trip better."

"I got another upgrade to business," she quietly said.

Marcus stopped walking, and he looked confused at his girlfriend. "Another upgrade?" Jane nodded. "How?"

"My beauty," she teasingly said. It made Marcus raise his eyebrows. "No, just kidding. Well, I arrived at the airport and showed my ticket at the baggage drop-off, and the steward told me I had priority. I obviously was confused as hell, because I booked economy. Anyway. I just said: 'Thanks, happy holidays' and suddenly got another free upgrade."

He clearly looked lost, an error appeared in his mind, trying to figure it out. "Well done, babe," he finally said and held out his hand. Jane gave him a high-five, and they continued walking. "Next time, we travel together."

She giggled. "I will try my best next time," she mentioned. "So it was a pretty comfy flight. Now I know how it feels to be rich and travel like a rich person. I mean, I grew up in a quite rich environment, but normal rich, but we never flew business class or anything. Not gonna lie, I was scared they would kick me off the flight because people in business class pay extra for more comfort and peace, not to hear some seal."

"A what?" Marcus snorted. "I get you," he continued. "Same, tough." He looked at her. "You're still sick, aren't you?" She nodded. "I can hear and see it. I'd like to say it's all getting better now, but the jet lag... Good luck with it." It was the middle of the night in Christchurch, meaning it was day in Europe. "Not to scare you or to make you feel worse."

"I'm prepared," she said and weakly smiled. "Tried to follow the time schedule of New Zealand. It worked pretty well, so I hope to sleep through this night here. But I still sleep a lot, so I hope it works."

"I'm so happy you're here, babe," he told her once again and kissed her cheek. "Welcome to the kiwi land."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94.1K 1.3K 33
I may have always been in love with him.. I just didn't realize it. Highest ranks: #3 racingdriver #4 formula2 #9 trustissues #10 landonorris / olli...
99.9K 2.6K 66
Sequel to Red... Absence makes the heart grow fonder. But out of sight out of mind? Hmm, I can't quite decide which is true. I mean, I can't forget...
41.9K 839 26
❝i think i like you best when you're just with me and no one else.❞ formula one fanfic m...
173K 6.7K 46
Attending a wedding is magical. Attending a wedding of your favourite cousin is extra fun. But meeting someone at the wedding of your cousin? A sur...