Girls With Luv

By AngelaBraru

There are two kinds of relationships that turn your world upside down, either in the best or the worst way. O... More

ONE Spencer
TWO Liya
FOUR Spencer
FIVE Liya
SIX April
SEVEN Spencer
EIGHT Liya
NINE April
TEN Spencer
ELEVEN Liya
TWELVE April
THIRTEEN Spencer
FOURTEEN Liya
FIFTEEN April
SIXTEEN Spencer
SEVENTEEN Liya
EIGHTEEN April
NINETEEN Spencer
TWENTY Liya
TWENTY-ONE April
TWENTY-TWO Spencer
TWENTY-THREE Liya
TWENTY-FOUR April
TWENTY-FIVE Spencer
TWENTY-SIX Liya
TWENTY-SEVEN April
TWENTY-EIGHT Spencer
TWENTY-NINE Liya
THIRTY April

THREE April

2 0 0
By AngelaBraru

Is it acceptable to adore two lunatics as if they are your own children and then totally snap at them for being lazy and unprofessional? I've been staring at my roommates and their weird antics for the past half an hour and even now, they haven't dropped their asses on the dining table. I prepared breakfast by waking up at 5 in the morning, even when I couldn't sleep well at night. I did that because we hadn't been able to eat properly for the past few weeks, thanks to the intense work regime, and I thought maybe having a delightful breakfast under the same roof wouldn't be a headache at all.

I was wrong.

Because I live with children.

"LIYA, WHERE THE HELL DID YOU PUT MY HANDBAG?!" Spencer shouts from her bedroom and I hear a loud crash, followed by a handful of cuss words.

"WHY THE HELL WOULD I PUT YOUR HANDBAG ANYWHERE AT ALL?!" Liya shouts back from her own bedroom and two seconds later, Spencer's glossy maroon handbag comes flying out of Liya's room.

Soon, I stand witness to a very lethal staring contest as Liya and Spencer calmly position themselves in front of each other and don't say a word. If I knew better, I would've assumed that I have been transported to the world of a very dramatic American tv show.

Spencer chillingly picks up her handbag from the floor and loops it onto her right shoulder, never breaking eye contact. Liya, on the other hand, rolls her eyes and turns to look at me.

"I'm hungry."

That's it. Just like that, my anger and frustration fade away like a puff of smoke lost in the air. I had memorized a good scolding for these two buffoons because they don't know the first thing about being punctual whenever I decide to cook for them. But who on earth can resist the temptation to feed a friend who is hungry?

Not me.

I guess they call me a momma for a reason.

"I made chicken noodles," I mutter. "I've been waiting for you both to get your lazy asses out here for the past half an hour."

Without saying anything, Liya and Spencer drop their fight and finally make their long way to the dining table. I roll my eyes at their childishness and sit down myself. Food comes first and I've been craving the taste of my own noodles ever since I started frying the vegetables.

"You guys should really stop ignoring your alarm clocks," I state and take a sip of my coffee.

"It's hard to focus on its ringing after spending an entire day listening to unnecessary office bickering. I'm practically mastering the art of ignorance." Spencer deadpans with a very straight face.

"She's right though. Plus, I think I have water in my ears anyway." Liya mutters under her breath.

"Why aren't you both taking your paid leaves?"

"I'm saving them for something big."

"Me too."

"And what does that something big entail?"

Spencer looks at me with a sparkle in her eyes and I prepare myself for a fantasy tale in which she goes on a trip to South Korea to meet Lee Dong Wook. Liya senses this too because she drops her head on the table and shakes it as if disappointed in me for asking that question.

"I don't know, maybe a girls' trip to a land where aliens are taking refuge." Liya's head shoots up as we both try to comprehend Spencer's messed up "something big."

"Is this your way of saying that you're in Team Kim Soo Hyun now?" I ask.

"Not everything is about kdrama."

"We beg to differ." Liya and I speak at the same time, feign utter shock and then start giggling. Spencer doesn't say anything and ends up inhaling the leftover noodles on her plate in one giant bite.

"I'm done and very late, I guess. I'll see you guys at night. Jal Jayo Chingus!" She grins, jumps out of her chair, grabs her handbag and other stuff, and heads out in ten seconds.

Huh, where was this speed when breakfast hath been waiting for Her Highness?

"She knows that Jal Jayo means goodnight, right?" Liya asks and I bite back a laugh.

"I've learnt to look past her adorable Korean errors." I smile because they are adorable.

"You know, she has a point though. We should go somewhere."

"Where? And when? We don't have the time."

"We've been slaves of time and work for a while now. It's okay to give up temporarily and look for a resort somewhere else. We are under no obligation to feed into the social expectation of working 24x7."

"I know, but it's easier said than done."

"That's what we are supposed to believe." Liya winks. "I'll see you at night. Say hello to your mom and bring me some raisin cookies."

"You finished the last batch?!"

"Obviously. I won't treat cookies as a bunch of museum artefacts kept for show, okay? Never ever."

I shake my head and giggle. The woman has a point.

* * *

One good thing about having your own fashion line at a young age is that you get to create an entire world the way you want to. As a kid, I loved drawing dresses and wholesome outfits for different occasions. The idea of creating something new that someone else would wear one day sent jitters down my entire body. It was a severe level of excitement. I'd scribble on a blank canvas as my brother would solve trigonometric equations right next to me. It was a weird combination but we somehow managed to not let our conflict of interests cause a conflict in our relationship. Even today, whenever I'm trying to draw a new pattern, I am always reminded of the simple childhood days.

I smile whilst thinking about my brother. I should probably give him a call one of these days. Mom said he has been touring a lot, hence a total absence from family video calls. I understand completely, that's why I haven't bothered him with voicemails and text messages.

I am distracted by a knock on my office door. I look up from my laptop and find Katie looking at me with panic evident in her eyes. My heart drops down with dread.

"What now?" I ask, closing the laptop screen and standing up.

"Um, the model we hired for the photo shoot isn't here yet." Katie bites her lip and flinches, she probably caused another bleeding again.

"What? Why the hell is she not here yet? Don't we begin with the shoot in fifty minutes?!"

"Yes. Apparently, she was at a party last night and that didn't end up really well."

My fingers straightaway find my temples and I try to massage the frustration out of my body. Why do I always end up with careless and irresponsible people? Creating my own fashion world is brilliant, but working with certain people who simply ruin everything is taking two steps back. I know how hard it is to start from scratch, so I try my best to support new faces in the industry even when I'm one of the newbies myself. But then shit like this happens and I seriously don't know what to do.

"What about the other model? Isn't it a double shoot?"

"She is here but..."

"But what?"

"Well, she twisted her ankle while walking in heels. We can call other models but I'm not sure if they'll be able to reach on time. I think we'll have to cancel."

I think I've lost the ability to react. I gave my heart and soul to my latest clothing line because it targeted friendship and female bonding. It was extremely personal to me because Liya and Spencer pushed me to finish it by doing all sorts of stuff. For instance, they drew haphazardly what they'd like to wear, which really inspired a bunch of my designs. They even got me a new mannequin as my birthday present.

No, I can't let this go to hell just like that.

I grab my phone and send an S.O.S. message on our group chat, praying against all odds that things go smoothly.

Ten seconds later, my phone starts ringing.

"What's wrong?" Spencer and Liya ask at the same time.

"Is it possible for you guys to come to my store before 2:30? I promise I won't take more than one hour of your time." I explain. "Please please please please please, it's for my Friends Clothing Line."

"Calm down. I'll be there. I've been training since morning, I think I do deserve an hour's break. Right, coach?" There is some incoherent mumbling as Liya talks to someone. Meanwhile, Spencer puts the call on hold.

I feel horrible for doing this last-minute crap but desperate times call for desperate measures and these two are my only hope.

"Okay." Spencer reconnects. "It's lunch hour anyway, I'll just eat with you both."

"Yeah, I'm in too. Calm down, big momma. We'll be there."

Before I can go on an I'm-so-grateful-to-you-both meltdown, they disconnect the call. Well, they do know me inside-out and they probably also know that my thank you speech will only waste time. So, I simply sit back in my chair and grin from ear to ear.

"What?" Katie asks.

"My dames in shining armour will be here to save the day."

* * *

"No, not happening. I thought you wanted help with clothes."

"It is for clothes only!"

"No, not happening. I know I have a beautiful body but I'm not a freaking model!"

"LIYA PLEASE!"

"I'm with Liya on this. I don't even know how to stand in front of a mirror and you want me to pose for a professional photoshoot? Do you think I have a split personality?"

"You both are freaking out for no reason at all. It's not a ramp show! Just a photoshoot. And you both are my friends, the theme is friends, IT ALL FITS SO STOP BEING SUCH OBSTINATE BABIES!"

Oh my god, I'll pass out. I mean, I don't blame them. I didn't really tell them that they'd have to model for the shoot. But that's because I knew they'd say no before I'd get to finish the sentence. And I was right! This is turning into a nightmare.

"April, what if we screw it all up for you? You're the talented one in the group, remember?" Spencer argues and my face snaps into two.

"Yeah, she's right. We don't have that kind of talent." Liya says and I get this super-strong urge to hit them on the head.

"What? Spence, you have the ability to spot errors faster than any other human alive and apparently, you can write as well. Liya, you swim like an angel and have medals and trophies I can't even count anymore. And I am the talented one? What is wrong with you two?! Shut up and get dressed, I've had enough for today. Listen to momma and don't cause a ruckus."

Spencer and Liya stare at me with enlarged eyes and I look away. Yeah, it got overboard. I agree. But I needed to drive the point home because talent doesn't come in unique faces or colours. We're all talented in one way or the other, we just need to acknowledge that fact.

Whatever the situation, it is safe to say that my outburst worked because at 2:23 p.m, my best friends step out of the changing room, looking like absolute angels. I almost start crying at the sight of them wearing my brand new designs. Floral print looks stunning on both of them and I'm kinda glad that things went down this way.

We rush to the top floor studio, where the equipment is ready. Since it's a pleasant day, we decided to hold the photo shoot outside, that is, on the terrace. Everything looks stunning and the wind just adds more to the overall picture. Liya and Spencer look so lost, it's a combination of hilarious and adorable. I walk up to them to ease their confusion.

"Just be yourself. Do stupid random shit as if we're taking a selfie." I cheer them on.

"If we're taking a selfie, you should be here too," Spencer mutters and I'm kinda taken aback. Katie manages to hear our little dialogue and butts in at the right moment.

"Yes, April! Oh my god, you should totally be in the frame. There's no reason for you to not do that! It'll be so great and authentic and novel!" I think she'll cry.

"Take at least three to four shots with just these two designs." I don't know why I'm acting so flustered...

"No, woman. You either get your ass in here or we're leaving. It's either all of us or no one at all." Liya uses her intimidating voice that always sends a shiver down my spine.

"Yaaaas, we're a team. It's a complete package."

I know what these two are doing. They are so smart, I won't take away that credit. But before I can argue or make them do duo shoots, Katie pushes me with them and the cameraperson starts clicking pictures in one go.

I almost scream because this isn't how I planned things. They are turning the photoshoot into a random spontaneous thing and I don't know if it'll make the whole project better or worse.

"Just be the craziest versions of yourselves and try to ignore the camera!" Katie hoots and I make a mental note to add extra sugar to her tea.

I don't know for how long this lunacy stays afloat but we keep posing the best way we can and soon, we kinda get the hang of it.

"One, two, three, CHEESE!"

I think we deserved this comic respite from the monotony that is life.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 110 32
You ever regret letting someone go and realize they were the best thing that ever happened to you? But you had to be apart only so you could protect...
165K 4.7K 31
"Leave me alone you ass nugget!" I call over my shoulder. "April stop! And did you really just call me an ass nugget?" he replies, scurrying after me...
654 35 31
Savannah is your typical quiet girl. She doesn't enjoy confrontation and she was always in the shadow of her greatest rival. Well that is after the d...
1.4K 79 36
Drama, love, heartbreak, friendship. Soon, things will change for the group of friends! Will everyone be able to get through the worst of times? See...