Where Winter Meets Summer (Ru...

By OnyxxCrow

THE DISCOVERY A fundamentally lonesome person, Russia believed he could survive the Academy all on his own bu... More

Prologue: Lifeless Land of Winter
Welcome Back to the Academy(Russia POV)
The Maiden and Her Bear (Canada POV)
As Normal As It Gets (Russia POV) *intense swearing?*
The CAS (Germany POV)
Rise Little Underdog! Pt 1 (Germany POV)
Rise Little Underdog! Pt 2 (Germany and Russia POV)
Weekend (Canada POV)
The Returning Star (Russia POV)
First Impressions? (Pt 1) (Nobody POV)
First Impressions Pt 2
The Experiment (America POV)
Frozen in Time (A glimpse into Russia's past)
Potentially
Invitation of Doubt (Russia POV)
Prepare! Before the Fourth (Russia POV)
The Time is Now
Let's Start Over... (America Pov)
Things Won't Go Wrong. Right? (Canada POV)
Trapped in Burning Ice (Russia POV)
Prelude of Winter: The Story Before the Tempest
The Compromise (America POV)
The Compromise (continued)
On One Condition... (NobodyPOV)
The Very First Failure (Nobody POV)
The Last Gate To Earth (NATO POV)
Good Luck My Dear Brother
BIRTHDAY QNA+Art
Earthbound(America POV)
Forced or Not, Here They Come
The Special Trial For a Special Case
There Are Things Better Left Unsaid
Fight or Flight
Breaking Through
Enduring
Reaching the End of a Star
Falling Apart But Holding Together
Back to Where We Came From
Redirected Hope
Love-in-a-Mist
A Burden
The Art of Healing or Hurting?
Cold Relapse
Another Step Forward
A Thing of the Past
Rubbing Salt in a Wound
Frozen in Time: Roses in the Snow
Washing Salt From a Wound
Uncertain Fates
Tales Untold
Lessons to be Relearned
Breaking the Silent Night
Waiting for Explainations
Disarray on the Final Day
To Love and To be Loved
In the One We Trust
The Challengers Rise
A New Perspective
Forgotten Wishes Hidden in the Deep
Against the Clock: SIX
Soulmates
Shadow Dance/Strife In the Dead of Night: FIVE
Herald from the Grave: FOUR
Diamond Eyes: THREE
The Final Call: TWO
Forsakened: ONE
Prelude of Winter: His Pipedream
On Thin Ice
How the Robin Stole Fire
Truths from a Liar
Appeals for the Unmended
In the Face of Adversity
Untethered Shadow
By Your Side
Tears For Better Tomorrows
When Omens Stir
The Final Hour
Momentary Peace
Evening Interlude
The Sun Sets
The Underground Blues
The Underground Blues Pt. 2
Divided, We Fall
The Observer's Promise
Silent Silver Linings

No Turning Back

12.7K 354 1K
By OnyxxCrow

"Germany, would you and Poland be interested in joining us for the Tournament?"

(NOBODY POV)

The hallways were quiet and still in the evening as the draining sunlight poured through the high arching stained glass windows. Even though it was well past the last chime of the school day, two students stepped out of the infirmary to bring their findings back to the Headmaster's quarters.

"Well glad that worked out! Now we're one step closer to an actual team!" America grinned they closed the door behind them but before they got too far, Poland darted out of the door and called for them to wait a brief moment. They turned as he made his way over.

"What's the matter?" America asked as he pushed his sunglasses up. Poland sighed deeply before turning to stare him right in the eyes.

"I'm extremely honored that we were selected as candidates. Germany was... over the moon about it and now he sleeps soundly..."

Russia's eyes narrowed when Poland's posture drooped and his gaze wavered as he continued, "But I'm going to have to refuse this position. I'm sorry."

...

The deafening silence that followed was suffocating to Poland but he had already made up his mind. It took a full 30 seconds for Ame to pick his jaw off the floor and utter any coherent sounds. Despite the American's protests and the Russian's judgmental stare, he wasn't going to budge.

"What do you mean you refuse- why- IT'S THE TOURNAMENT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!" Ame exclaimed with increasing disbelief as he couldn't seem to understand why in the world he would put down the offer of a lifetime. Before he could finish, the Polish boy slipped back inside and shut the door, closing off the conversation right in his face. Ame really did not like that and a thin stream of smoke poured from his smoldering eyes.

"Why that little-," he growled as he strode forward to rip the door open but Russia grabbed him and hauled him back before he could cause any property damage.

"That's enough. If he doesn't want to participate, he must have a compelling reason. Even if he doesn't, we need to respect that," Russia reminded but his expression warned him to step down begrudgingly. He was somewhat disappointed too.

After one last heated glare at the door, America yanked his arm out of Russia's grasp and stormed away as he muttered, "I think he's just a coward."

Poland slumped against the door as he listened to their receding footsteps echo farther and farther away until all became silent again. Only then did he let himself break down as he hugged his knees to his chest to calm himself. He had a good reason, at least he believed he did but America was also right. He was a coward.

"Oh don't give me that," he growled as he clenched his teeth in hopeless anger, "Don't pretend I'm stupid! It's obvious the only reason I was offered a place is because Germany is my friend!"

This realization rang in his ears and it made his stomach churn and his throat tighten. If he had taken the offer, if he was willing to step upon the stage where he could barely stand, what then? After all, the games may have changed to incorporate teamwork but at the end of the day, it was still every country for themselves. He surely won't stand a chance!

"But what about Germany?"

Would he really be alright? Part of him was being wrung with the guilt of leaving Germany on his own but he just didn't have the guts to break it to him. But then again, Germany had proved himself to be fully capable on his own time and time again. Poland simply didn't want to admit it, to feel unneeded. It made him incredibly distraught.

"Poland? What are you doing over there?" Germany peered out of the curtain and he quickly scrambled to his feet. Poland's wings were shining with a warm iridescent glow without himself even noticing and he quickly wiped the corners of his eyes before plastering a fake, disapproving frown on his face.

"I could ask you the same thing," he rolled his eyes as he ushered Germany back into bed, "You're supposed to be asleep y'know!"

A faintly sad smile flashed across Germany's face as he complied, "I know I know. But would you mind telling me what you were whispering about?"

Poland froze when he said this and with a quivering voice, he asked, "How much did you hear?"

"Well by the time you leave, I'm hoping it will be everything," Germany demanded as he pushed his glasses up, "Please Poland. What are you so stressed about?"

He tried to push the topic away but no matter how much he struggled, Germany remained insistent and finally he caved. Extending his wing to blanket the both of them with a heavenly light, Poland opened up in the hopes that his friend would understand.

"And that's the gist of it," America mumbled as he flopped down onto the sofa. AU frowned as she hesitantly slid Germany's lone figure over.

"Does he himself know?" she inquired, "Did Poland tell him his decision?"

"I don't think so," Russia said, "He did wait until we left to tell us and his expression was torn with guilty secrecy. It's not likely."

AU grumbled in frustration as she surveyed the board, wondering what her next move would be. She still couldn't secure Germany's spot in case Poland's decision also influenced his own. They were basically back to where they started. AU, however, was already so done with everything and with an exasperated huff, decided to add him until notified otherwise. After tasking the boys to keep an eye out for potential candidates just in case, the group was dismissed for the weekend.

After they shrugged on their coats, America and Russia strolled through the courtyard and towards the parking lot. The sun had pretty much disappeared at this point, dipping the sky in a soothing deep blue. Snow dusted the ground and snowflakes were falling a-plenty. They hadn't even noticed when it had started.

"If you wouldn't mind, wanna come train with me tomorrow morning?" America suggested and Russia nodded, agreeing that some practice would be nice. But their definition of practice was different. While Russia suggested technique and polishing their arsenal, Ame suggested a full three hours of sparring, potentially with Sunfire and the Unmeltable.

"You know, like that night! That battle was sick—we should do it again!" he sighed happily, "Of course I'll kick your butt like basically every time we've fought-"
After a solid while of throwing around some playful banter and a few fistfuls of snow, they bid each other farewell and parted ways and into the night.

(SOUTH KOREA POV)

"I'll follow the strong. I dismiss the weak. If you wish to bring me back. Prove yourself worthy."

They both said the same thing before they walked away, following the crimson path and into the claws of the dragon.

"You tremble in my wake. You do not deserve my name, my title, my power."

I've faced off against him. I've won against him. Am I worthy now?

??? :Meet me at the station at 4 before the sun. Wait there and I will come.

We will win this time.

I had already slipped out of bed before my alarm went off which confused my human roommate that I had accidentally stirred.

"Where are you going?" he muttered sleepily as he dangled off his bed to see what I was doing. I dismissed his worries before snatching my pre packed bag and quickly exiting the dormitories. After a quick breakfast trip at a basically vacant convenience store, I sat at the bus stop and popped in my earbuds. The time read 3:24 am.

As time passed, a few early travelers joined me as I waited for the bus and with every passing minute, my stomach twisted a bit tighter. The morning chill didn't help but I was reaching the point of no return. The lights of the bus appeared down the road. I tugged my hood over my eyes and stood as the bus rolled to a stop before unfurling its doors. One by one, the passengers paid their fare and moved out of sight. Finally, it was my turn to step in but I decided to look back one last time. Even from out here, the magnificent spires of the Academy could be seen. UN's symbol that was also pinned to every Central Branch student in the form of a brooch gleamed proudly in the early morning but now it was time to say farewell. After all, where I was going, what I was going to do– if all went according to plan, I would probably not return for a long time.

The doors closed behind me and the bus departed towards our destination zooming towards where the sun would rise. The only thing left behind was a shining silver brooch, unclipped and discarded, marking the venture of a new beginning.

After the bus ride, I boarded a train, zipping out of Central Aliaterra and into the vastly diverse Eastern City. As I gazed out the window at the landscape flying by. As we got closer and closer to the heart of the city, the lights and buildings began to multiply– each one twisting higher into the sky than the next. But looming over it all was a majestic temple-like structure whose tip nearly touched the clouds. There it was, the Eastern Branch. So many things had changed but it was just as I had remembered.

After making it out of the station, I strolled out to marvel at the unusual bustle despite it being 4 in the morning. My marveling was soon cut short by a familiar voice.

"You're late, SK."

A figure emerged from under the streetlight across from me. They were dressed in a fine white robe with a red and mountain green coat. A sheathed weapon hung by a red sash that wrapped around their waist as an intricate hat hooded their face with a veil adorned by a single gold star.

"Sorry Vietnam," I smiled sheepishly as I also fought back a yawn, "But I think I did alright despite the time you requested."

They narrowed their eyes at my implication but decided to dismiss it.

"We don't have a lot of time so let's get moving," they whispered as we made our way through the streets, "Aim to make it in by the crack of dawn."

"Do you have a plan?" I asked as we picked up into a light sprint, " It won't be easy to find China, let alone issue a challenge and win."

"Which is why we won't fight him directly or discreetly," Vietnam replied, " China is someone who likes to play high stake games so I've made a deal with him. He's going to choose another student for us to face off against. We just need to beat them and he'll be forced to return what belongs to us."

"YOU ARE NOT WORTHY!"

With more of an idea of what was about to happen, I began to calm down a little but still something was eating away at me. Knowing China, he would never agree so easily to something he couldn't win. So what was he going to do?

"YOU DO NOT DESERVE MY NAME!"

Vietnam seemed to sense my uneasiness and gently tugged on my sleeve. I turned to stare at them, their jade green eyes fierce with determination.

"I have tried for so long, so many times to take him down. This will probably be our best chance so I'm not taking defeat as an option. Are you with me?"

At this point, we had reached the gates of the Eastern Branch and in the grand courtyard that faced us stood two figures with their backs towards the dawning sun. Even from here, his presence was immense. Despite this, Vietnam moved forward in a leisurely stroll and called, "If you are willing to fight, step forth now, White Tiger of the West."

(NOBODY POV)

"Good morning!" China waved with a chipper tone, "We were just wondering if you two would show up. I'm pleased you did!"

Vietnam shifted their hat to the side, moving the veil away from the line of sight and the two crimson countries exchanged less-than-warm glares.

"He had a bit of trouble with transportation so we were running late. But here we are to finish the bet."

"Indeed. I've even cleared out this entire section just for it! Though I'm sure the Headmaster would scold me if I told him it was for our tussle so I suggest we don't dawdle much longer. As for your opponent..." China motioned for them to follow and in the yard next door was a country, who appeared to have fully warmed up. He glanced over and his eyes widened when he saw who had arrived. South Korea stood frozen by the entrance as he couldn't bring himself to look away.

"YOU!!!" they both screamed at the same time. Vietnam felt their heart drop and glared angrily at China who was smiling smugly under his mask. This was obviously on purpose– a way to break his will.

"Well then, I suppose this would also count as a reunion for you two hm? It's alright, you can catch up after the match but we really ought to get started." From his sleeve, he retrieved two scrolls, one was ink black and inlaid with green and gold swirls. The other was snow white and etched with black lines.

"Our agreement states that if you win, I will give to you, Vietnam, the guardian deity, Black Tortoise of the North, or as you call it, Cụ Rùa. And to you, South Korea, the guardian deity, White Tiger of the West."

"Give? You mean return!" Vietnam exclaimed but China continued without acknowledging. They agreed to begin the match in 5 minutes and Vietnam rushed to SK's side to see how he was doing but before they could utter any words, he placed his hands on his shoulder with an eerie silence that hung around him. Finally, he looked Vietnam dead in the eyes and whispered,

"We're gonna kick his ass to the afterlife and back. Let's go."

AUTHOR'S NOTES: EASTERN CITY ACTION LET'S GO!

Those dudes have a lot weighing on their minds. I'm gonna have fun unraveling that next chapter tho.
Now, a random assortment of sketches that I have because yes.

pst- I might be able to make another chapter tomorrow! :D

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361K 31.5K 90
Sequel to my MHA fanfiction: •.°NORMAL°.• (So go read that one first)
784K 47.1K 118
Y/N L/N is an enigma. An outgoing, cheerful, smiley teenage boy. Happy, sociable, excitable. A hidden gem in the rough of Japan's younger soccer pl...
353K 12.2K 74
𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐧𝐞. gilmore girls universe. 𐙚 | B L U E ˖⁺‧₊˚♡˚₊‧⁺˖ ─── blue eyes like the sea on a cold, rainy day ❝ 𝘉𝘓𝘜𝘌 𝘌𝘠𝘌𝘋 𝘉𝘌𝘈𝘜𝘛�...
168K 8.8K 57
Abandoned and ignored by her father, Princess Vaella remained at her mother's side. Forced to watch as life went on for those around her, while her...