Sorrow & Mercy: a Great Ace A...

By baroksfacescar

[Contains major spoilers for the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles / Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1&2] Our tale begins 10... More

Folds of Scarlet
Windborne-Blossom
A Curtain of Mist
Faces Familiar and Strange
Matters of Blood
Strange Pity
The Shapes of Things
Kindness
A Change of Circumstance
Truth and Misconception
The Heart of Things
Winter's Sudden Entrance
Warmth
A Curtain of Scarlet
Soothing Conviction
In No Harsh Voice
Ventured Descent
Strange Shadows
That Black Shape
Lingering
Violent Grief
To the Heart
Bleak Shores
An Entire Separation
PART II: Years of Ink
Oceanborne-Blossom
A Curtain of Sorrow
The Terror He Inspired
Judgements
Momentary Respite
Swift Departure
Sombre Indignation
Persistence
Those Who Return
Spasm of Agony
Wound
Death-White
The Breath Before
A Curtain of Truth
Separate Paths
Inexpressible Sorrow
Promises
Twisting
Reunited Blood
Slow Throb of an Old Wound
Mercy

Our Final Resolve

70 3 2
By baroksfacescar

Barok van Zieks appeared at Baker Street early one morning. He greeted Susato, his eyes bright.

               "You heard from my father?" Susato said.

               "I have."

               "What did he say?"

               "Susato Mikotoba," Barok said with the utmost severity. "It is my wish to spend the rest of my life with you. I do not want to endure another day without you by my side."

              Susato smiled. "That is what I want as well. And I want to start a family with you. Like we talked about, all those years ago."

               "Then..." Barok lowered himself to one knee and took gentle hold of Susato's hand. "Will you marry me?"

               "Yes!"

               Barok slid a ring onto her finger and kissed her hand. Susato could not contain herself. Smiling widely, she grabbed his face and kissed him.

               "Ah! I fear I have just chanced upon a most startling scene!" Sholmes said.

               Susato lurched away from the embrace immediately, clutching her hands together, her face bright red.

               Barok stood and crossed his arms, his face also dusted with blush.

               "Need me to call the Yard, dear fellow? It appears as though Susato was mauling you most viciously," Sholmes said, smirking.

               "Mr. Sholmes! We—We're getting married!" Susato said, whirling to face him.

               "You and I? At long last, Iris shall have a mother," Sholmes said.

               "You know very well what Susato meant!" Barok seethed.

               Sholmes burst out laughing.

               "Oh! I must tell Iris the news!" Susato said.

               "Before you hasten away, there is one other thing I should tell you. I received a second telegram. It seems a certain friend of ours will be arriving from Germany in a few days' time," Barok said.

               "Oh! That is lovely news!" Susato said. "Oh dear! Oh no, I just realised something..."

               "Is something wrong?" Barok said.

               "Marital regret already, Miss Susato? Or rather, premarital, I should say. I do believe your union is quite doomed," Sholmes said.

               Barok glared at him.

               "...I need to tell Kazuma-sama. I don't know how he will take the news," Susato said, touching her face warily. "But I will go today. And...I will face him alone!"

               And Susato did just that. After telling the very happy Iris the good news, Susato hurried away to find Kazuma. He and Gina were talking and laughing together while examining case notes in the Prosecutor's office.

               "'Ey Sooz!" Gina said brightly.

               "Oh, Gina! Um...it's nice to see you. I...I need to speak with Kazuma-sama," Susato said. "Although, I do want to tell you about this too."

               "Hello, Susato-chan. Why not tell both of us, then?" Kazuma said, smiling lightly.

               The two stood next to each other, both smiling. Gina looked better than she had ever since that fateful day. They both did. Susato just hoped she wouldn't ruin Kazuma's recovery with her news, and that they would continue to mend their bond, even in light of her choice of a husband.

               "Well...I have some news," Susato said.

               Kazuma's smiled vanished instantly. "You look anxious. What's going on? Is everything alright?"

               Susato nodded swiftly.

               "Well, wot is it? I'm dyin' to know, me!" Gina urged.

               Susato peered nervously at Kazuma and his curious expectation. She lowered her gaze to her feet and drew in a steadying breath. "I'm...marrying Lord van Zieks!" she said, steel encasing her voice. And she fixed them both with a stern stare.

               "'Ey!? Well that's great news, innit? You've 'ad them special feelings for 'im for a long time, 'aven't you? I saw them pictures you know. When I took your book before," Gina said.

               Susato nodded enthusiastically then shifted her resolute stare towards Kazuma.

               He looked at her with deep consideration, a slight furrow to his brow. He didn't look entirely pleased, but at least he didn't look angry either.

               "So...he finally asked?" Kazuma said.

               "Yes."

               "I can't say I approve, but...you have waited ten years for this. I'll stand by you, even if you really go through with it."

               Susato threw her arms around Kazuma. And was relieved when he hugged her back.

               "...Does this mean I need to force myself to forgive him?" Kazuma said.

               And Susato was so caught off guard, she laughed.

               "Seriously, Susato-chan...do I have to?"

***

When they told Albert Harebrayne, he stared at them for a long moment, blinking quickly.

               "AHH!"

               Susato startled.

               "I can't believe this! I embarrassed myself over and over about this very thing, this very thing! And now you two really are getting married!? I knew it! My hypothesis was correct!" Albert said, and his frantic energy dissolved beneath a triumphant, teeth-bearing grin.

               "I am heartened by your approval, Albert," Barok said.

               "Of course! It's nice to see two of the best people I know finding happiness together! You've...both been through a lot whilst I was away, haven't you?" Albert said.

               "Thank you, Professor Harebrayne. We are delighted to share this news with you," Susato said and bowed demurely. Then she laced her hands together and gave him a gentle smile. "So! What's Germany like? I want to hear all about it!"

               And Albert rambled away about his time in Germany and many other things while they travelled together, sightseeing and exploring various locations around the city. Iris and Sholmes joined them one day during his visit, and struck up a fierce debate about the veracity of his newest line of experimentation. They even ran into Maria Gorey, who was happy to discuss rather unsettling science-related matters with Albert.

               It was a magnificent visit that brightened the end of a frigid winter.

***

One day, shortly before the wedding, Susato went out with Iris and Gina. As her companions went on ahead to grab some chocolate to bring back for everyone, Susato peeled away to visit the flower shop. They were to meet with Barok soon, to visit Genshin and Gregson's graves, and then the van Zieks mausoleum. Iris had not yet been to the grave of her parents, and she was nervous but resolved to go. So Susato wanted to find the perfect flowers for each of them.

               While Susato was searching through the fragrant blooms, she suddenly found herself crossing paths with Lord Penhale.

               "What a splendid surprise!" he said, looking rather shocked.

               Susato smiled demurely. "It is nice to see you as well, Lord Penhale."

               "I was not aware you were in London!"

               "I live here now, actually. I have just started working for the judiciary, as a defense attorney. And I am to be wed very soon."

               "How splendid! And surprising! I did not realise gentlewomen from the East could become lawyers in Britain."  

               Susato smiled a bit sheepishly. It was entirely unusual, considering her gender, her foreign roots, and her lack of formal qualifications, but the Queen had made an exception based on Susato's experience and her role in the toppling of Stronghart's throne of corruption. "...And how have you been, Lord Penhale?"

               "Oh, absolutely marvellous! Thank you, dear Eastern woman!" he said.

               "Susato Mikotoba," she reminded gently.

               "Yes, that's right! Forgive me. Your names are so unusual to my ear."

               "And...how is Lady Charlotte?"

               "Oh! You remember that little trouble, do you? Well! Let me tell you, things are marvellous! Truly and simply excellent! Her son is getting along quite well. Actually, they're both at the chocolate shop across the street right at this very moment!" he said.

               "Oh! That's wonderful news! They might run into Gina and Iris then...Your grandson would be around eleven by now?" Susato said.

               "Indeed! He is a good young lad. A marvellous boy! And our fortunes have never been better." Then Lord Penhale leaned towards her and lowered his voice. "You've heard all about Lord Klint van Zieks?"

               "Yes, of course. I—"

               "Well! Even if that's all true...I still hold his family in the highest esteem."

               "Really?"

                "I owe them...well, practically everything!" he said. "Lord Klint van Zieks did a lot to help when the scandal was first unveiled. As did his brother, the Lord Barok van Zieks. And even when Lord Barok withdrew from London's social circles, he still sent missives to ascertain our wellbeing."

               Susato smiled, her love for Barok increasing. "I am so glad."

               "Do you know...Lord Barok van Zieks actually did something that saved us completely," Penhale said.

               "What's that?" Susato said, tilting her head.

               "You recall that dearest fruit, the pineapple?"

               "Of course."

               "And their pineries?"

               "Yes."

               "Well, Lord Barok van Zieks gave me the opportunity to buy a share of the pinery for a very small fee. And then, after a year, he sold me the entire pinery in exchange for three pineapples a year! That's all! Have you ever heard such a thing!? With that fortune behind us, my family was able to rise out of our scandal and soar back into London's elite! Charlotte even found a nice husband who was undeterred by her past indiscretion. He adores the boy, in fact!"

               "Oh, I'm so pleased for you! Barok truly is the most wonderful man, isn't he?"

               "You should mind how you speak about him, dear woman! It would not do to sound incorrectly familiar!" Lord Penhale cautioned, looking alarmed.

               "Well...Lord Penhale, I assure you...it is perfectly acceptable for a woman to speak of her betrothed in such a way!"

               "Oh! Oh my! What...What surprising news! Well, when you've already been ostracised, what harm does an interracial marriage do?" Lord Penhale said. He dabbed at his face with his handkerchief. "Oh my! Well, congratulations! I will always view Lord van Zieks with the greatest respect and regard!"

               "I will be sure to tell him that," Susato said with a smile.

***

Soon thereafter, Barok and Susato married at the Church.

               "Welcome home, Lady van Zieks," the maid said brightly.

               "Lady Susato," the old governess said with a polite bow.

               The staff greeted them warmly, and then Barok dismissed them for the rest of the day. Once they were alone, he swept Susato up into his arms. She smiled and held to him tightly as he carried her across the threshold of their room.

               "I suppose...this will be our bedroom now," Susato said, blushing, as he set her carefully back on her feet.

               "Yes...I suppose," Barok said, his face a bit red.

               "It's...It has very lovely furnishings," Susato said shyly.

               "I am...pleased you think so," Barok said. "Of course, if you wish for anything to be changed, it will be done according to your specifications."

               "Oh, no. It's lovely." She glanced towards the bed, framed by vases of bright red roses, and felt heat rush through her. "Um...I...I suppose I will be seeing you without a waistcoat...."

               "...I believe...it is...more than just.....that..." Barok said.

               "...Barok?"

               "Yes, Susato?"

               "...We've been through so much pain. And I know these things will always hurt. But...now that I am here, at your side...I feel my regret washing away. It was worth it, wasn't it?" She smiled up at him.

               "I feel the same way. It has been a very long and dark road. But now...we will spend the rest of our lives in the light. Thank you, for helping me to trust again. For saving me...every time you smile," Barok said, gently caressing her face.

               Their lips met. Softly, almost shyly. Then with an intensity that took Susato's breath away.

               And then Susato lay back on the bed as Barok leaned over her, his hair sliding forward, brushing against her eyelashes. She held his face as they kissed. And turned themselves over to their love for one another.

               Down in the garden, the white roses began to bloom, as they would every spring of their lives together.

***

Susato woke in the rosy glow of morning light. She stared at Barok's face, turned towards her in profile, as he surfaced from sleep in slow degrees.

               "Good morning," she said quietly, her heart swelling with happiness as he gently stroked her cheek, the corner of her lips.

               "Good morning," he murmured.

               She shifted towards him and he held her as the light gradually strengthened in the room. Susato closed her eyes, felt his heart beating steadily below her cheek.

               "I suppose...we should get on with the day..." Susato said with immense reluctance.

               "Wait here. I will see if breakfast is being prepared," Barok said, and gave her a tender kiss before rising and pulling on his dressing robe.

                Susato rolled over and smiled at the suffusion of pink light framing the curtains. She felt so warm. So happy.

               A few moments later, Barok strode into the room, an envelope in his hand.

               "We have a missive from Japan," he announced.

               He sat beside Susato on the bed as she opened the letter and unfolded it, a smile brushing across her lips.

Dear Miss Susato,

I'm so pleased to hear things are going so well! You're in our thoughts all the time. Your father was really excited to learn you're getting married. And I am too! It's so great to hear you're a defense attorney now also! I can't wait to share our court experiences with one another. You and Kazuma are both fierce opponents, surely!

It felt really awful leaving when I did. Everyone was still in such a dark place. But now, I feel more sure than ever that we did the right thing that day, exposing that truth in Old Bailey. The truth might not be the light of happiness, but it's indispensable. And because of it, we have all been healing, haven't we?

We're all doing well over here! The Naruhodo legal practise is really taking off! I have been applying everything I learned from you all every single day, and I'm more certain than ever that the judicial system here really is getting better!

I also visit with Mr. Mikotoba as often as I can. We spend a lot of time together, talking about you and Kazuma. He misses you greatly, but I know we'll all see each other again soon!

Rei misses you too. She's an amazing medical examiner, and has actually helped me prepare my notes for court several times now! With her help, I feel like I can start to make real change here in Japan. She's an incredible woman and I'm so glad you told me to seek her out! It's my hope that she will stand by my side always.

We want to visit soon—all three of us! Please tell everyone I think of them always. Give my best to Kazuma, Lord van Zieks, Iris, Gina, the Judge...and Mr. Sholmes too.

Best for last. That's what he always says, isn't it?

Hoping to visit very soon!

Ryunosuke Naruhodo.

Susato sighed and tucked the letter carefully back into the envelope.

               "I miss them so dearly," she said.

               "Mr. Naruhodo is right. We will see them all again," Barok said, putting his hand over hers.

               "Yes...I think so too," Susato said, wiping at her eyes. "And when we do, we'll have so much to share with each other!"

               "We will. But, in the meantime...Lady van Zieks, would you join me for morning tea?"

               "Of course!"

               Susato happily descended to her first breakfast as Barok's wife. Already, she was composing a list in her mind. Of all the places to go and things to do once the rest of her family returned to her side. She shared her thoughts on the matter animatedly as they drank tea and ate together. And all the while, Barok stared at her, utterly captivated, as though she was something truly wonderful, a source of joy.

***

At long last, the warmth of summer descended upon London. And at even longer last, Susato finally got to have ice cream with Barok. They all went together—Kazuma, Iris, Sholmes, Gina, and even Maria Gorey joined the couple.

               The ice cream was delicious, and the company even better. Everyone was smiling and laughing. Kazuma elbowed Barok in the side. Barok laughed. And the sound filled Susato with a deep, tender warmth. It had been too long since she had seen him like this. Each day, everyone was beginning to smile more, to heal more, and to forgive.

                All the people Susato loved would be together soon. In the near future, Ryunosuke would visit with Yujin and Rei. They would all come here together for ice cream. Susato knew Ryunosuke and Rei would both love it. And Rei would finally get to try chocolate.

               "Why don't we all take a picture?" Iris said. "We can send it to Runo and Professor Mickey!"

               "A splendid idea, my dear Iris!" Sholmes said.

               "You should be in it too, Mary!" Iris said.

               "Oh...okay," Maria said.

               "Come stand over 'ere, Kaz!" Gina said, grabbing him by the arm and yanking him over. His top scoop tumbled to the ground.

               Kazuma sighed then smiled. "Alright, Inspector Lestrade. Get over here Susato-chan...Barok."

               Susato smiled.

               Everyone gathered close as Sholmes balanced the camera on the stone fence surrounding the tables and chairs and set a timer. He rushed towards the group, resting his hand on Susato's shoulder and throwing his other arm around Kazuma's shoulder. Kazuma cried out in surprise as he dropped the rest of his ice cream cone. Iris burst out laughing, and soon everyone else was laughing too.

               The flash went off.

               And as they all passed around the photograph, smiling and speaking brightly, another life was stirring. Susato was not yet aware—but would make the discovery only a few weeks later—that their first child was growing inside of her. A gentle-hearted boy, with his father's eyes and his mother's smile.

               Barok and Susato would have many children, who would be loved dearly. They would be doted upon by their grandfather, who came to visit before retiring from the university and moving permanently to London. Together, they would all live a long and happy life, with their big, beautiful family of both blood relatives and those who were family by choice. A family with a dark past and a bright future, knit together by sorrow and mercy, by forgiveness and truth, but most of all: love.

END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.9K 263 16
This is the prologue to the Lucifer Saga: Himawari, a Kunoichi from naruto is reincarnated after death into a world of technological advancement and...
634 20 16
Ten years ago, a horrible beast took the life of Kazuma's father. When news reaches the Mikotoba family that the monster has once again stolen a life...
21.8K 581 32
After the Daihasei festival and the difficult challenge it brought to Misaka Mikoto and her friends, Gakuen Toshi welcomes a new mysterious guest fro...
1.5K 87 50
Barok van Zieks lives a happy life with his brother, sister-in-law, and his charming niece. His reputation is spotless and he has advanced well in hi...