The Complete Book Of Thunderb...

By CaptainThunderWho

Thunderbirds 2086 was originally a Japanese anime series entitled Science Rescue Team Techno Voyager created... More

1 - My Opinion
2 - Conceptions And Rescues That Can Challenge The Impossible
4 - Technoboyager - Thunderbirds
5 - Music
6 - Episode Guide
7 - Critical Analysis Per Episode
8 - Beyond Thunderbirds 2086
9 - Home Media
10 - The Other Thunderbirds remakes
11 - The Legacy Of Thunderbirds 2086
12 - Eighteen
13 - Bonus Minisode; Edge Of Disaster
14 - Bibliography

3 - The World Of 2086

17 1 0
By CaptainThunderWho

The International Rescue of Thunderbirds 2086 was a far larger organisation which operated out of a vast city known as the Arcology, built upon a manmade island. Although the organisation apparently employs hundreds of people, the main cast of heroes was limited to seven characters. The Thunderbirds machines would be manned by a group of captains (despite being called cadets during the opening titles narration) under the command of Doctor Warren Simpson, 2086's equivalent of Jeff Tracy. The Thunderbird 1 space shuttle was piloted by daring young hotshot Dylan Beyda, while the hypersonic transport Thunderbird 2 was co-piloted by would-be space cowboy Jesse Rigel and Jonathan 'Little John' Jordan, Jnr. Thunderbird 3, a multi-purpose ground vehicle, would be commanded by Gran Hanson – who also served as the team's leader for most missions. Thunderbirds 1 2 and 3 could also combine to ensure maximum preparedness for any emergency situation. The sole female member of the team, Kallan James, was in charge of International Rescue's primary underwater craft, Thunderbird 4. Rounding out the regular cast – whether you liked it or not – was Commander Simpson's seven-year-old nephew 'Skipper'.

The number of Thunderbirds machines in this new International Rescue was also increased from six to seventeen (with an eighteenth under construction in the episode Starcrusher), although several would never appear on screen. Most were substantially different from those seen in the Supermarionation series, although several borrowed heavily from those designs. Thunderbird 4 would remain a yellow submarine, while Thunderbird 16 was a gold and silver drilling machine named the Mole. Thunderbird 6 was the organisation's Earth-orbiting space station, but manned by a crew of hundreds as opposed to one. Most of the Thunderbirds 7-17 are the equivalent to the pod vehicles in the original series.

Warren Simpson; Born in Washington in 2031, the future founder of IRO majored in Aerospace, Industrial, and Systems Engineering. Upon completing the courses, he was chosen to join NASA as a deep space explorer. Swiftly moving up the ranks, his last assignment was Commander of the UNSS Clarke spaceship. During the mission, he was called upon to meet the World Federation to discuss plans for a special rescue organisation. When it comes to saving lives, Warren is always deadly serious. He's so dedicated to the organisation that he constantly remains on assignment, and has very little time for recreation, much to the disappointment of his brother. According to ITC's Thunderbirds 2086 press kit, Warren was originally to be named "Dr. Gerald Simpson". While this working title was ultimately dropped (save for the back cover of at least one VHS release in 1991), his brother Wayne affectionately referred to Warren as "Gerry" in Cloudburst.

Gran Hanson; Pilot of Thunderbird 3 for IRO, Hanson was born in New Berlin, 2041. Gran spent most of his time at the Lunar Academy, where he initially studied in Communications and Meteorology. This led him to join the Rama Space Seed project as an asteroid miner. The eldest active member of the Thunderbird team. Stern and serious, Gran always focuses on the task at hand above all else. He acknowledges that his gruff approach can lead to conflict with his younger crew, though he always means well, and just wants to ensure their mission is accomplished successfully, safely, and professionally. When not on assignment, Gran likes to find a secluded spot outside and spend the day fishing.

Dylan Beyda; Born in 2058, he is the pilot of Thunderbird 1. The eldest son of legendary space explorer Harrison Beyda, Dylan was born and raised in Tokyo, Japan. During his teenage years, he struck up a friendship with fellow pilot Bill Watson. The pair fell out of contact when Dylan attended both Yale and Oxford Universities in the United States, where he graduated with degrees in Astronomy and Quantum Mechanics. If someone is in peril, Dylan will rise above and beyond the call of duty to rescue them, even going so far as to disregarding the direct orders of a superior officer. Cocky but caring, he is an expert pilot and almost unchallenged in hand-to-hand combat. When not on assignment, Dylan spends his time training martial arts (particularly karate and tai chi) and swimming in the surrounding ocean. 

Kallan James; Born in 2060, she is the pilot of Thunderbird 4. Born in San Diego, Kallan was enamoured with the ocean and all its native forms of life at a young age. This led to her entering the 2076 Olympic Games, and at 16 years old, became the youngest person to win Gold in the 400-meter backstroke event. Possessing an unyielding affinity for the undersea environment, this makes Kallan the perfect choice for any ocean-based rescue missions. She is smitten towards Dylan Beyda, and the two maintain a close professional relationship. Though she certainly doesn't hide her jealousy when another woman shows any affection towards him, married or otherwise. Kallan spends her downtime shopping or hanging out with friends.

Little JJ; Johnathan Jordan Jr. (or Little John to his friends) is one of the six leading protagonists of Thunderbirds 2086. He serves as copilot of Thunderbird 2 alongside Jesse Rigel for IRO, the International Rescue Organisation. Born in 2056 in New York City with Jamaican heritage, Johnathan earned the nickname "Little John" for his abnormal height. His long, slender build was put to the ultimate test during the 2076 Olympic Games, where he won Gold in the gymnastics event. Smooth talking and laid back, Johnathan does everything with style. While his fellow teammates take each mission seriously, he will throw out the occasional joke or make a game of it, especially when riding his Flying Sled. Though he can be serious when he has to. Outside of rescue missions, Johnathan loves to dance, listen to music, and wear the most extravagant clothes around.

Jessie Rigel; He is the co-pilot of Thunderbird 2. Born on the Moon before relocating to Houston Texas as an infant, Jesse always plays by the book. It's an act that can sometimes lead to conflict with his fellow pilots however, but these are usually forgiven and forgotten later. He is an incurable romantic, and will gladly take a few minutes off to talk about his many (and sometimes exaggerated) feats of bravery and heroism... if you're a gorgeous woman. When not playing IRO's residential space cowboy, Jesse enjoys visiting the local cinema and watching old-time western films.

Skipper Simpson; The eldest child of Wayne Simpson, Paul adopted the nickname "Skipper" at a young age. A nickname everyone used exclusively from that point on, including his own family. During the formation of International Rescue, Skipper was placed under the care of his uncle Warren at the Arcology. Whenever there's fun to be had, Skipper will be close by. Or more likely, the cause of it. He adores IRO, and eagerly looks forward to the day he can pilot a Thunderbird craft himself. Skipper is not afraid to speak his mind, whether it be offering ideas on how to pull off a successful rescue mission, or complain when Mr. Chilly gives him too small an ice cream.When not at school, he enjoys hanging out with the team, in particular Dylan, who he idolizes. Skipper's birth name is never mentioned in the series. The name was however confirmed in the Thunderbirds 2086 Annual. He was born in 2079.

Arcology; a humongous man-made island located somewhere in the Pacific Ocean. The Arcology serves as the Earth command centre for International Rescue Organisation and a focal point of the Federation. Arcology was featured in the television series . Forged as a result of the World Federation's inauguration during the mid-2060s, Arcology is a vast city complex that houses one primary building and dozens of skyscrapers. Rising a thousand feet on a square mile base, the Island is the permanent home for all 60,000 Earth-based members of the organisation. While living quarters may be compact and food on strict rations, there are plenty of home comforts to be had, including a cinema, nightclub, and shopping mall. Nearly all seventeen Thunderbird craft were constructed in Arcology, and are stored in various sectors of the headquarters. The team's command post is situated on its highest point. During the opening credits of TechnoVoyager, Arcology can be seen rising from the ocean. It is unknown whether its 2086 counterpart can also achieve this feat.

Thunderbird 1; a sleek white and blue space shuttle. Piloted by Captain (or on occasion), the craft was initially constructed by NASA for deep space missions before being acquired and upgraded by IRO. Fitted with a new Ultimate Mark 10 HF computer guidance system, Thunderbird 1 serves as IRO's mobile command centre for operations both on and above the planet. Length: 203 feet Wingspan: 155 feet Height: 45 feet Speed: 29'000 M.P.H Power source: Solar panels

A pair of large mechanical arms are stored above Thunderbird 1's wings, which can be deployed to grasp out of control space vehicles, rockets, and satellites. When faced with dangers such as an overloading nuclear reactor, two vents directly below the craft can emit a powerful burst of super cold helium over a wide area, freezing its target almost instantly. Hidden between the vents is a small laser, designed to cut through almost any substance with pinpoint accuracy. With the exception of Trial, Thunderbird 1 appeared in every episode.

Thunderbird 2; a blue and silver hypersonic transport craft. Piloted by and , the vehicle acts as both a booster for to reach orbit, and carry an array of smaller Thunderbird vehicles to the danger zone. These crafts usually reside in a removable square Pod construct, which connects between TB-2's booster rocket Length: 272 feet Diameter: 85 feet Max Speed: 25'198 M.P.H Power Source: Blue Diamond

Stored behind the nosecone are a group of grey mechanical arms. Lengthy and slender, they are primarily designed to grasp out of control space vehicles, rockets, and satellites. Only two are required for most missions, but another pair can be deployed if necessary. Should a large group of people require rescue from an isolated area, TB-2 can deploy specially designed rescue pods. Stored below the nosecone section, each pod is attached to a wire cable, allowing them to be safely and individually raised or dropped around the danger zone. Six pods, along with two larger 'deluxe' capsules, are usually carried. At least two pods have been destroyed during rescue missions.

A high-intensity laser cannon can be extended from the nosecone section. With pinpoint accuracy, the beam was designed to effortlessly carve through thick layers of steel, though could sometimes be used for defence against any potential attacks. While one of TB-2's most steadfast and reliable attachments, the cannon was ultimately destroyed. With the exception of Fault Line and Trial, Thunderbird 2 appeared in every episode.

Thunderbird 3; a yellow and black ground operations vehicle. Piloted by Gran Hansen, the craft can split down the middle and combine with Thunderbirds 1 and 2. This subsequently makes for both ease of transportation and deployment, should the situation call for a land-based mission Length: 150 feet Width: 46 feet Width when docking with Thunderbird 2: 132 feet Height: 45 feet Land speed: 389 mph Air speed: 27,000 mph Power source: Twin libitina engines. Thunderbird 3 was used in 16 of the 24 episodes produced.

Thunderbird 4; a yellow deep sea submarine (much like the original series version). Piloted by Captain James , the craft is usually stored aboard one of six interchangeable Pods for ease of transport. Powered by an Olympic Mark VIII twin electric drive, Thunderbird 4 can reach depths of 11,000 metres while travelling at a maximum speed of 120 knots. Though serving as IRO's primary undersea rescue craft, more specialised operations may require the use of Thunderbirds 13 and 14, both of which are permanently stored in Thunderbird 4's cargo hold. Length: 147 feet Width: 50 feet Height: 47 feet. Thunderbird 4 was deployed for rescues in 8 episodes

Thunderbird 5; a white and grey Ground Operations Vehicle constructed by IRO. Stored and carried inside one of 's numerous Pods and piloted by , TB-5 was designed for high-intensity missions. These rescues including (but not limited to) manoeuvring through uncontrollable forest fires and avalanches, disposing explosives and toxic material, plus demolishing obstacles such as concrete walls, trees, and layers of rock. TB-5 was built primarily from Mandellium alloy, combining efficient internal insulation with incredible external resilience of up to 4000 degrees Celsius. Length: 94 feet Width: 40 feet Height: 44 feet. It only appeared in Snowbound.

Thunderbird 6; a humongous silver and blue Space Station/Terminal constructed by IRO. Permanently positioned in L-5 orbit above Earth, the Station serves as both IRO's Emergency Alert Communications Centre, and The Federation's front line to the planet. With a length of over 15km, Thunderbird 6 is far and away the largest Thunderbird craft, housing hundreds of pilots and scientists who work in shift around the clock in the multiple research centres, laboratories and docking bays. Atop the Station is IRO's Rescue Operations Control Centre, which can monitor and send signals across the entire planet and even to the farthest reaches of space. The crew work tirelessly to pin-point rescue situations and potential solutions before beaming all their findings to at . Thunderbird 6 is also home to another craft, Thunderbird 17, which serves as IRO's Long-Range Space-Probe. Length: 49,212 feet. The craft appeared in 9 episodes.

Thunderbird 7; a high speed aircraft stored aboard Thunderbird 1. It acts as an escape craft and can perform vertical take off and landing.

Thunderbird 8; a VTOL jet

Thunderbird 9; a bipedal walker, TB9 is a small one man utility walker used for repairs on vehicles and other equipment in the vacuum of space. At least 2 walkers exist, they can be stored aboard TB17 in the central hangar alongside TB10.

Thunderbird 10; a high speed spacecraft used for rapid travel between earth and other planets. It is stored in TB2.

Thunderbird 11; An armoured high-speed ground vehicle.

Thunderbird 12; an amphibious bulldozer and load lifter used for shallow-water rescues. It is usually stored aboard TB3 and operated by Hanson.

Thunderbird 13; a mini-sub stored aboard TB4. It is used to reach the danger zone in highly restricted underwater areas. Its pilot is operated by Kallan James.

Thunderbird 14; It is a deep-sea bathyscaphe that is never seen onscreen. 

Thunderbird 15; A tracked drilling vehicle.

Thunderbird 16; A tracked reconnaissance vehicle

Thunderbird 17; second largest Thunderbird (only smaller than TB6). It is capable of transporting all other craft in the organisation. It is usually docked with TB6 and is capable of long term space travel. Thunderbird 17 has the ability to extend its command bridge outward while the rear opens up in four sections to allow loading and unloading of various cargo.

It also has 3 hangars, 2 large hangars that usually carry TB1 and 2, but can carry Thunderbirds 3 and 4 if swapped out, and 1 small hangar that houses TB10.

My good friend @kieron0103 has done an excellent job of detailing the schematics of the ships from this information, and has included pictures of the 17 various Thunderbirds craft in his extensive and fascinating "sci-fi ships" book.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77 0 25
When the rocket ship you're on starts to go a little wrong, who are you going to call? Being part of a super-secret rescue organisation sure puts a c...
72 14 7
Century 22 Productions has produced new exciting stories based on the worlds of Doctor Who, the Gerry Anderson series (Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet)...
1K 93 42
Five mysterious alien pods are floating in formation across space - its origin is from Mars! A rough approximation of where the pods landed has been...
1.8K 1 34
Joe McClaine was a small nine-year-old boy. Once his father invented a machine called the BIG RAT, it enabled the transference of brain patterns betw...