Hers | ✔ | (Editing)

By nadia__writes

❝I know love can be as pointless as it is to Nancy, and perhaps even as revolting as it is to Bill Sikes, but... More

Hers
00| Elysian
01| Orphic
02| Eccedentesiast
03| Kalon
04| Mauerbauertraurigkeit
05| Epiphany
06| Froward
07| Selcouth
09| Illecebrous
10| Petrichor
11| Diaphonous
12| Lagom
13| Philocaly
14| Frisson
15| Abditory
16| Brumous
17| Haimish
18| Atychiphobia
19| Limerence
20| Collywobbles
21| Basorexia
22| Feuillemort
23| Querencia
24| Amaranthine
25| Lacuna
26| Aquiver
27| Commuovere
28| Adamantine
Author's Note
29| Redamancy
30| Kilig
31| Baisemain
32| Hiraeth
33| Eunoia
34| Demure
35| Zweisamkeit
36| Epilogue
37| Balter
One Shot Competition!
Deadlines & FAQ's!
Tomorrow!
One Shot Results!
38| Sirimiri
Prequel Is Up!
39| Latibule

08| Monachopsis

37.5K 1.4K 631
By nadia__writes

0 8

M o n a c h o p s i s 

 /fos-fEnz/

(n.) the subtle, but persistent feeling of being out of place.

  ●●● 

I tend to feel everything deeply or not at all.

  ●●●

He could tell the days when she took a shower.

And he was aware on how creepy that sounded, but it was something he was proud of noticing.

She would smell fruity - a weird blend of shampoo and blue berry body wash that found his nostrils whenever she sat beside him.

S̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶m̶e̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶.̶ ̶

And she showered today - her scent of floral sweetness tickling his nostrils as she sat beside him; her delicate shoulder brushing against his own while her eyes held amazement looking at the books around them.

A̶b̶s̶o̶l̶u̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶

He felt like a giant compared to her; noticing how hIS shoulders were firm against her soft ones, and even how her fingers were the tiniest things compared to his.

But the moment he left the library, a huge smile was playing on his lips, a whole hearted laugh bubbling in his chest as he stifled it.

S̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶n̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶n̶u̶m̶b̶e̶r̶.̶

He shook his head as that silly grin was still tickling his lips before he noticed all the wide eyed stares he was getting.

And it was gone.

The smile vanished as quick as it came, a frown replacing it while he could feel his stare harden.

B̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶

There was always something new about Rose everyday: he didn't know whether it was the way her ponytail was sitting on top of her head, or perhaps the new twinkle in her eyes that somehow always seem to peek through those brown orbs.

He never really thought of a girl this much, but when he did, it just felt...weird.

Aaron DeGarner was anything but a flirt - much less a guy who thought of a particular brown eyed girl. He never thought much of the female population, respecting them when no one was, tried to protect them when danger was lurking and of course, never looked at a girl wrongly.

He never got any attention from any girls, which partially made him happy considering all that went to Aiden.

B̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶t̶t̶e̶n̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶g̶i̶r̶l̶.̶ ̶

Aaron knew he would be late for class if he kept letting his thoughts take over his pace, and with an empty mind, he rushed to Accounting.

B̶u̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶

✘✘✘

When Tristan told him that he had a tutoring session with Rose at lunch, he honestly couldn't help the swarms of butterflies that invaded his stomach. He could even feel the little twitches his arm was making, and he could sense the weird looks both Tristan and Aiden were giving him.

"What the hell is up with you?" Aiden asked, raising his eyebrows as he noticed Aaron's twitchy arm. "A little too excited for lunch?"

Keep calm, lie

"Just hungry," Aaron said smoothly, shrugging as Tristan eyed him suspiciously.

Aiden gave him a look. "If you expect me to buy bull crap like that, then I don't know what's going through your little brain." Aiden then shrugged. "Just don't do drugs."

There we go, Aaron thought, nodding his head as Tristan cracked a small smile.

It wasn't something new when these guys were walking through the hallways together, but it was weird when Aiden kept rummaging through his bag, spilling a few worksheets on the floor as they moved along.

Tristan crossed his eyebrows, obviously just as confused as Aaron is. "What are you looking for?"

Aiden spared Tristan a glance before continuing to rummage through his bag. "My biology notes."

Even Aaron had to cross his eyebrows for this one, but Tristan beat him to it. "For what?"

Aiden gave him a flat look before shaking his head and drifting his attention back to his over-stuffed-but-still-looks-sleek bag and explained. "Listen Tris, if you have a cutie like Rose coming over, you need to think about ways to impress her," F̶u̶r̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶u̶b̶b̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶v̶e̶i̶n̶s̶, Aiden then grinned triumphantly as he gestured towards the neat notes in his hand as he slung the bag back on his shoulder. "And mine is to give her my notes in hope that she understands."

Tristan rolled his eyes, a groan escaping his lips followed. "Grow up."

Aiden scoffed, his eyebrows raised as he managed to continue. "At least I have a strategy," His signature grin was back, his green eyes twinkling with mischief as he said. "And I didn't need to ask anyone to help me with Biology."

Tristan gave him a flat look, snickering as he said. "She offered, and the only reason I agreed was so that I could tutor your sorry ass."

Aiden shrugged. "Your bad."

"Oh for fuck's sack," Aaron grumbled, sending a malicious glare to both his friends as he looked down on his watch. "You my friend are 5 minutes late, so stop arguing and hurry your ass up."

Tristan looked down at his own watched before a groan escaped his lips, his legs immediately running fast against the wooden floors as he shouted out. "Okay see you guys later!"

Aiden let out a small chuckle as he said. "Why aren't you the time saver?"

Aaron gave him a look. "And why aren't you the asshole?"

Aiden pursed his lips, a laugh following a moment later as he asked. "Well what's gotten you in a crappy mood? Last time I checked, you just scored the highest in our accounting test," Aiden quirked an eyebrow in question, looking weirdly at Aaron as he asked. "So what could possibly crawl up your ass and put you in a bad mood?"

T̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶R̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶T̶r̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶.̶ ̶

"None of your business," Aaron said harshly, shaking his head as they kept walking. "And it doesn't matter anyway."

Curiousity sparked up in Aiden's green eyes, a sly grin garnishing his lips. "Wait...." His eyes widened in realisation as his grin widened. "Are you jealous?"

Aaron rolled his eyes, sighing as he shook his head, l̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶ ̶, "Jealous of what?"

That glint of playfulness in his eyes didn't falter. "Of Tris?"

"Why the hell would I be jealous of Tris?" L̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶,̶ ̶l̶i̶e̶.

Aiden rolled his eyes as he pulled his friend closer, quirking an eyebrow as he told Aaron. "Listen Aaron, if there is one thing we guys need, it's attention from the females." He nodded his head to himself. "And we can do insane shit to get that, but all we need is to know that at least one girl is looking at how stupid we are." That stupid grin was back. "And once you figure out who you want that girl to be," His voice became quiet, as though speaking Aaron's thoughts. "it would be pretty upsetting knowing she is with another guy."

Aaron shook his head. "You are fucked up,"

Aiden grinned wider, raising an eyebrow in question. "Really now?"

Aaron nodded his head, a sigh of frustration escaping his lips. "Yes, and you're annoying the absolute fuck out of me."

His eyes were still twinkling. "You mean trying to admit your own feelings?"

He scoffed, annoyance clear in his tone. "No, annoying the absolute fuck out of me."

Aiden let out a small chuckle. "Anywho, it was nice talking to you Aaron, but I have somethings to take care of, and so, you can go ahead," He was smirking now, walking away. "And see your girlfriend."

H̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶f̶l̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶.̶

Aaron shook his head as he mumbled. "Screw you,"

"I HEARD THAT!"

He scoffed as his legs guided him to the cafeteria.

H̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶l̶u̶t̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶

✘✘✘

"Wait, so an amoeba is a protista?" Tristan asked Rose, scribbling down some notes as she nodded her head, a small smile on her face. "And so is a paramecium?"

"Yup," Rose said, flipping through the pages of the rather thich biology text book. "Give me 4 characteristics of a protist Tris," She gave him a smile and added. "Please,"

He could see the hint of pink that invaded Tristan's cheeks.

S̶t̶a̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶m̶,̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶m̶,̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶y̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶m̶.̶ ̶

"Uh yeah, Protists are usually unicellular besides the exceptions of Algae and sea weeds, and are eukaryotic creatures that cannot be classified as either plants, animals or bacteria. Protists are mostly heterotrophic but some are autotrophic and have the ability to produce their own food and protists prefer to live in wet conditions such as moist soil or under water." Tristan recited, giving Rose a shy smile when she clapped her hands in glee.

"That was great Tris! Now onto the classification of....."

Aaron couldn't hear anymore, h̶i̶s̶ ̶v̶e̶i̶n̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶u̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶y̶, he just wanted to leave the table. Even the tray of food in front of him didn't seem appetizing anymore, and the blonde haired girl that Rose brought with her was keenly listening to Rose's tutoring session - if you could even call it that.

H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶k̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶T̶r̶i̶s̶t̶a̶n̶.̶ ̶

But his eyes couldn't help but linger on Rose, watching as those bubbly brown eyes concentrated on the words in front of her, and occasionally glanced at him, h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶f̶l̶i̶p̶ , while she explained it to Tristan.

He never saw eyes as warm as hers, and never noticed how even the energy she was radiating was warm. On his side of the table it was cold and unwelcoming, while on hers....it was warm and comforting.

Nothing could express how much he yearned that ability to make someone feel comfortable, at home, but how could he when he didn't even have a proper one?

He shook his head - stop.

H̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶.̶ ̶

And then, everything else happened in slow motion.

One second there was a glass full of milkshake on top of Rose's head, and the next it was gone - the contents spilling right on top of her head.

Fire blazed in his blue eyes as he watched Rose let out a little yelp and gasp, his poisonous gaze shifting to the culprit who is going to get it.

He would recognise those green eyes anywhere.

"Oops my bad," Emette said, mock apology laced in his tone. "I didn't see you there."

H̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶o̶d̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶

"It's you again!" Lana exclaimed, fury mixed in her tone as she snarled. "You little asshole!"

Emette quirked an eyebrow. "I could say the same to you, bi-"

One moment Emette was a foot away, and the next he was face to face with Aaron, his infuriated gaze penetrating into Emette's green ones.

He had him by his collar. "Again?" He snarled. "The nerve you have to even-"

"Aaron get back!" Aaron didn't even know from where Aiden popped out from, but he could feel himself getting dragged away. "Get your shit together and let me handle this!"

"No!" Aaron growled, sending the most malicious glare to Emette, who even fidgeted at the sight. "You can mess with her once, but if you think you can twice, then think again you prick!" He snarled, lunging at Emette who immediately backed off.

"Back OFF!" Aiden said, roughly shoving Aaron behind him; his deathly BLUE stare boring into Emette. "If I were you, I'd rather clean Rose up rather than waste my time on this asshole." His eyes then flickered to Rose, who hung her head low. "Get her cleaned up Aaron, just do it and I'll handle this prick."

He could see all the colour drain from Emette's face before Aaron stomped off, the fury in his system not even faltering as he softly took Rose by the arm before Lana piped in. "I have some towels in my locker, but I don't think I have a spare top." Lana frowned, looking at her pink soaked friend as she sighed.

"I got it," Aaron said coldly, his gaze still latched onto Emette. "Don't worry about it."

He took Rose by her arm, right above her elbow as they moved out of the cafeteria. Apparently he did make a scene, noticing how several people darted their eyes to the ground, other sitting down as they walked out.

He kept taking deep, quiet breaths, trying to calm himself down but no avail.

This was a raw kind of fury, a̶ ̶f̶u̶r̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶

"Aaron?"

His blazed blue eyes flickered to her, and he could feel his hammering heart calm down. He completely forgot about her and let his rage take the best of him, and he was so ashamed of himself.

He let out a small sigh as he looked at her again. "I'm sorry Rose." He could feel his gaze soften.

She crossed her eyebrows, wiping away a few streaks of pink milkshake that reached her temples. "For what?"

He watched as a few strands of her blonde locks soaked themselves in light pink while they clumped together, and even how some of her lashes got soggy with the pink liquid. And of course, other than her entire face and neck, her shirt got most of the damage.

He let out another breath, shaking his head as he ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "For being an asshole." But before she could even reply, he said quietly. "Let's get you cleaned up."

✘✘✘

Cleaning up milkshake was harder than Aaron thought it would be (Considering he was never really a milkshake drinker) because he didn't think it was as sticky as it was now.

He kept soaking the bathroom's tissues in water before he dabbed off the sticky pink solute off of her, grimacing when some of it came on his fingers.

"You're really brave." Rose commented, nodding her head as she looked at Aaron.

"For what?" He asked her, not sparing her a glance as her removed the pink from her nose, grimacing when some of it landed on the sleeve of his sweater.

"For being in the girl's bathroom with me," Rose noted, giving him a small smile (Which he didn't see), "Not a lot of guys can do that."

Aaron shrugged. "It doesn't matter anyway, what I'm concerned about is getting this gunk off you."

"Sorry," Rose said quietly, her lips pressed into a thin line as she admitted. "For getting you into this."

Aaron shook his head as he wiped off the pink from her temples. "I got myself into this Rose, not you," He took her chin and lifted her face up, moistening the tissue again before removing the milkshake from her neck. "And you don't need to apologise for something like this."

Rose shrugged as he continued to wipe away the sticky pink. "Can't help that I-"

And then she giggled - freaking giggled.

His hand movements abruptly stopped as he watched her clamp a hand against her mouth as she gave him a surprised look.

Silence watched over them before Rose laughed again.

"What was that?" Aaron asked, looking at Rose weirdly.

She suppressed a huge smile. "Promise you won't use it against me?"

He gave her a flat look before he said warningly. "Rose,"

"Okay, okay," She surrendered, putting her palms out as she smiled. "That was one of my ticklish spots."

He looked at her with a long face, a flat expression on his face before he laughed.

He actually laughed.

It was one of those few times where he couldn't control that ball of laughter tickling his chest, and so he laughed.

S̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶c̶u̶t̶e̶.̶ ̶

He shook his head, a small smile still etched onto his lips, but then laughed again ; ducking his head down as he placed his free hand against his mouth.

He shook his head again, trying to control his smile, but miserably failed before he continued wiping the pink stuff off her. "I'll try not to hit it again."

And when he looked up to her, he couldn't breathe.

Chocolate eyes softly twinkling as her raspberry red lips were supporting a gentle smile. A gaze so soft that he could feel every nerve in his body tickle his soul, that every impulse that was running through his body was one he couldn't bother with and that made his throat dry.

B̶e̶a̶u̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶y̶,̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶y̶.̶ ̶

He flickered his attention back to her neck, quietly letting out small breaths as he continued his work.

H̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶k̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶

He continued dabbing away the little pink left, but when his eyes flickered back to her, he could feel the warm invade his body again.

It wasn't an everyday thing when someone would look this warmly at Aaron DeGarner, let alone give him a smile that could blow up his insides.

H̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶ ̶

"Alright," He said quietly, inspecting her one last time. "You're all done."

Rose snapped her warm gaze away from him before she inspected herself in the bathroom's mirror, "Wow," She said to herself as she nodded her head. "Not bad."

Aaron gave her a flat look. "Wiping away some milkshake shouldn't be hard Rose, now come on,"

She crossed her eyebrows, giving him a weird look before she asked. "For what?"

"We need to find you a shirt," Aaron said flatly, rolling his eyes as an annoyed sigh escaped his lips.

But how? he thought, scratching the nape of his neck, Even blondie doesn't have a spare shirt.

He thought for a moment before he got an idea, nodding his head to himself as he took the hem of his sweater and pulled it up.

"Aaron," H̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶i̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶a̶m̶e̶, "What are you doing?"

He took his black sweater off, leaving him in his black shirt before he handed it to her. "Here you gO," He told her, watching as a raid of pink danced on her cheeks.

"What - no." Rose said, shaking her head. "Not again."

"You don't seem to have another choice Rose," Aaron said, exhaling a breath. "Even your blonde friend doesn't have a spare shirt."

"Lana," She corrected.

"Even Lana doesn't have a spare shirt," He repeated, watching as Rose went into thought before she huffed in annoyance.

H̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶f̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶

"Fine," She dragged on, a scowl on her lips as she finally folded the black article of clothing in her hands. "I can't believe this," She grumbled, pursing her lips as she sighed in annoyance.

"Don't worry about it." Aaron said. "You can even keep it if it makes you feel better."

She widened her eyes. "No Aaron, it's quite chilly out today."

Aaron shrugged. Look around before he looked at her. "It's alright, I can handle it."

H̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶

She pursed her lips, her annoyed brown eyes looking at him before she sighed. "We'll discuss this later."

Aaron nodded his head. "Smartest thing you ever said."

She playfully glared at him. "Jerk," She muttered, darkly eyeing him.

"Alright then," Aaron said, stepping away from Rose. "I'll leave you to it. I'll wait outside." He told her, watching as she gave him a smile before he left the bathroom.

Now when waiting outside the bathroom, no one is actually aware on the numeral things that could happen.

You could lose your pen, forget your purpose on why you're actually waiting outside the bathroom, and even see the guy that tormented a girl approximately half an hour ago.

Aaron couldn't control the waves of fury that drowned his body when he watched Emette pass by.

The green eyed prick was surrounded by a bunch of jocks, roaring out a loud laugh as he patted his friend's shoulder.

But when he met Aaron's toxic gaze, his green stare hardened.

Aaron fisted his knuckles in a ball, watching as the sicko made his way through the halls, fury drenching his mind more and more.

And that was when he knew that if Emette tried something again, he won't let anyone hold him back.

"Alright, I'm done." Rose said, emerging out of the bathroom as she gave Aaron a smile. "What happened to you?"

Aaron's lethal gaze left the back of Emette's head before meeting Rose's concerned gaze, and he completely forgot what he was angry about.

B̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶,̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶,̶ ̶b̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶.̶ ̶

A simple, plain black sweater, but it made her look so utterly enticing. He had to gulp down the little saliva in his mouth as he saw how nice she made the sweater look, nodding his head as he said. "Let's go."

H̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶c̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶

"Hey," Rose whispered quietly as she came closer to him, as though it was a secret between the two of them. "I already finished 50 pages." He could hear the smile in her voice.

He looked at her from the corner of his eye. "Really now?"

"Ahhmm," Rose chirped, folding the sleeves of his large sweater to her elbows as she continued. "Almost got caught in Physics, but I think my lie worked."

Amusement sparkled in his eyes. "Wow, the Nerd finally breaking her good girl shell apart?"

She gave him a look. "Not funny."

H̶e̶ ̶f̶e̶l̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶

"Hey Aaron?" Rose said, earning the attention of the lanky boy as she smiled. "You think it's too late to give you one now?"

She stuffed her hands in her jean pocket before pulling out a granola bar, and Aaron could feel his chest smiling.

He took the bar carefully, giving Rose a tight lipped smile before he nodded his head. "Thank you Rose, it's very nice of you."

"No problem Nerd,"

H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶i̶n̶g̶.̶ ̶

✘✘✘

Unlocking his own door, Aaron let out a little sigh as he entered his home - placing his back pack on the side of the door as he turned to lock it.

He had just received the news that the cafe was closing, and he was devastated. It was the reason the entire staff went missing the day before, contemplating with each other whether they should sell the cafe or not.

He hated how his own opinion wasn't taken in consideration, but then again, nothing ever was.

He massaged his throbbing temples as he made his way to his room, a few groans escaping his lips as he plopped onto the bed. It wasn't always this quiet when Aaron would arrive, considering Luke was a living animal, but he was glad Luke wasn't there.

He wanted to be alone.

He knew he had to do something quick about it, probably quicker than usual. Because he didn't know how he would pay the bills and his own living if he didn't find a job soon.

A card on his night stand caught the corner of his eye before he scowled - never in a million years.

It was at times like this when Aaron genuinely felt...scared.

That maybe he might not get through this, that all he sacrificed for was for nothing, blending into the void as though it made no difference. It hurt knowing he couldn't do much but wait and see, see what is in store for him.

All he knew was he did this all not for himself, and it was going to stay that way.

He could feel a lump form in his throat the further he thought, what if he really was wrong?

And maybe, it really is all for the best?

He shook his head from the negative thoughts as he gulped, rubbing the beads of sweat that accumulated on his temples before he got up and took a shower.

Where he could get lost in the sounds of his heater working, or even perhaps the water drizzling down his head.

But before he could even get up, his stomach grumbled.

He frowned, sighing when he realised maybe it was time to have something to eat.

But what?

He knew he had to go buy some groceries, and that there probably isn't much food in the fridge to cook up a decent meal, but then an idea stroked him right across the forehead.

And he smiled.

He made him out of his room to the side of the door and picked up his back pack before he took the granola bar in hand.

He smiled as he took looked at it, a small chuckle escaping his lips as he shook his head.

Who knew that a kind, weird girl's gift could actually come in handy?

He ate the protein packed bar with a smile on his face.

✘✘✘

He didn't see Rose until lunch, w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶u̶p̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶, when she was still tutoring Tristan.

He kept a close eye around for a certain green eyed dick, his eyes scanning the cafeteria as Tristan and Rose discussed about the digestive system - Aiden looking at them with a grimace. "I'm eating, and I don't need to think about this shit now."

Tristan gave him a look. "Then leave," He then shook his head, a few wisps of his blonde hair swirling around as he snickered. "Rose is doing a good job telling me what actually happens in that gut of yours."

Rose turned a furious shade of magenta, h̶e̶ ̶g̶r̶i̶t̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶e̶e̶t̶h̶, giving a shy smile to Tristan as she said quietly. "It's alright, I like doing this. Thank you for the compliment though,"

Aiden quirked an eyebrow at this, shaking his head as a chuckle escaped his mouth. "Luke, Tristan's going to get a girlfriend soon,"

B̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶,̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶e̶

Luke looked up to Aiden's playful gaze from his phone before taking a glance at Tristan (Who was just about as red as Rose was) before he shook his head. "Nah, don't think anytime soon pal,"

Tristan scoffed. "I don't know whether to be offended or grateful."

Aiden gave his friend a little smirk. "Do we ever compliment you Tris?"

Tristan rolled his eyes, taking a pen his hand as he murmured a Fine and turned his attention back to Rose, who keenly explained to him the importance of fibre.

Andrew joined the table after a while, giving Rose her usual hug as he took a seat beside Aiden while he gave a small nod to Aaron, who gladly returned it.

"So, how'd it go?" Aiden asked Andrew, glancing at Tristan, who was way too caught up with Rose's explanation to even comprehend what they were talking about.

Andrew shifted uncomfortably in his chair, scratching his dark forearms before he let out a sigh. "Well better than expected,"

Aaron watched as Rose closed the biology book, gave a bright smile to Tristan before attempting to get up.

But not before Tristan said. "Woah Rose, not so fast. You can sit with us you know?"

Rose took a small glance at Aaron, h̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶, before she shook her head. "I need to cheer for Chase,"

Even Aiden dropped his fork.

"Chase?" Aiden said, ignoring the look of offense on Andrew's face. "Now are we talking about Chase Peter the football quarterback?" Aiden asked with a quirked eyebrow, his gaze unreadable as he sighed.

"Yup, the very one," Rose chirped, giving Aiden a small smile as she continued. "So you know him?"

"Well it's kinda hard not to know the guy who can manage a team like he does," Aiden replied, Andrew nodding his head in agreement while Tristan just listened. "Your boyfriend's got skill."

C̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶,̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶r̶o̶l̶

Rose scrunched up her nose as she shook her head, disgust rolling off her tongue. "He's like a brother to me."

Aiden gave her a wicked grin, slightly smirking. "That's what they all say in the beginning,"

"Okay Aiden, stop being a dick," Andrew said, rolling his dark eyes while he muttered some incomprehensible things under his breath.

"You better not be cursing me in your African tongue," Aiden said warningly, eyeing Andrew weirdly. "Or I swear to God I'll voodoo doll your ass."

"Isn't it weird though?" Tristan said mindlessly, his eyes lost in thought. "That we call each other dicks even though we all have them?" He slightly nodded his head, not noticing as Rose took one more glance at Aaron before continuing."So shouldn't it be a compliment rather than an offense?"

Andrew and Aiden gave each other looks, communicating through their eyes as they both sighed; some times no one can tell what is running through Tristan's mind.

"I really hope you won't think of it that much Tris," Aiden said, shaking his head while he snickered. "Hard to think you get the highest grades out of us,"

Tristan narrowed his eyes at his idiotic friend. "It something called IQ dumbass, something that you never had."

Rose squeaked, clamping a hand against her mouth as she tried for dear God to hold in her laugh.

Aaron could feel the corners of her lips tug up; he remembered the last time she clamped her mouth like that was when he found she had a ticklish spot just below her ear, a few inches down her neck.

H̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶i̶c̶k̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶s̶t̶.

Aiden gave Rose a small smile before turning blank faced to Tristan again, scowling before he told him. "At least I'm not a nerd."

"Intellectual badass," Rose interjected, Tristan giving her a full blown smile as he high fived her.

Aiden rolled his eyes. "Whatever,"

"I swear Aiden," Andrew grumbled, rubbing his temples as he admitted. "You are such a pain."

Aiden pursed his lips. "You are such a di-"

"Luke Aiden's doing it again!" Tristan said, pointing an accusing finger on the blue eyed boy as he noticed Rose slightly smiling.

Luke looked up from his book (It was a miracle on how it even landed in his hands).Yawned. Grumbled. "God Luke, stop being such a dick."

Tristan gave Luke a long face, staring at his idiotic friend for a while before he buried his face in his hands. "No one ever listens to me."

Rose patted his back in understanding. "I totally get you,"

Tristan peeked at her through his fingers before he smiled. "10 points to the intellectual badasses."

Rose smiled, nodding her head in agreement.

The bell rang before anyone could utter one more word, making Aiden groan in annoyance before Aaron got up ; taking his backpack as he gave his friends a small wave of his head and an acknowledging nod to Rose and then left for English.

H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶ ̶e̶x̶c̶i̶t̶e̶d̶.

✘✘✘

If there was something Aaron learnt from his years of high school, it was that information can spread like wild fire throughout the hallways of this hell hole. He never really knew why, but he would always find somethings concerning him as he roamed the school's hallway.

And it so happens to be that Mrs. Lory called in sick today, claiming that she caught the flu and might not be able to teach for a couple more days.

And the second Aaron heard that, he went straight to the library.

It was weird on how calm the library made him feel, as though all his problems would dissolve away the moment he took a look in one book.

Even the librarian (Whom Aaron still didn't know her name owing to the fact she didn't wear a name tag and always seemed she would murder you with her bare hands if you talk to her) recognised him straight away when he entered, zipping to the Sci-Fi section as he settled down on the ground.

He hated those chairs and tables ; he preferred to be alone.

He was only 5 pages into his new book when he heard it.

Her soft hums could never be ignored as they became louder and louder, Aaron's eyes widening as she approached him quicker than he expected.

S̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶e̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶g̶u̶a̶r̶d̶.

A second ago, he was alone, but now her blonde locks were tickling his shoulder as she sat beside him - giving him a beam as she rummaged through her bag and retrieved the book.

It was pretty hard not to smile, considering how ridiculous Rose looked in her afternoon flush and hair, and also how weird the smile she was giving him was, but he managed not to.

"I finished it yesterday," She chirped, brown eyes bubbling in excitement as she smiled. "It was awesome."

He even saw how she neatly placed his black book mark in there, giving her a small smile as he took it from her. "Well, I guess it's time to talk about it now,"

She enthusiastically nodded her head. "I'm ready,"

Aaron nodded his head, inhaling a small breath. "What was your favourite part of the book?"

Rose pondered in thought for a few moments, pursing her lips as she tried to think which one was her absolute favourite before she whispered. "I guess it would have to be the part when Oliver gets taken to Mr. Brownlow." Her eyes emitted a subtle twinkle, while a small smile framed her face. "His kindness really touched me."

Aaron nodded his head in agreement, his lanky fingers tracing the cover of his book. "He's one of my favourite characters." He felt as though a weight has just been lifted off his chest, swirling into the void like he didn't have a worry to think about. "Who's your favourite character?"

Rose smiled. "Oliver Twist, of course."

Aaron pursed his lips, attempting to conceal a smile. "Why am I not surprised?"

Rose grinned. "Because your assumptions always seem to be correct."

He shook his head, his eyes darting to the book on his lap while a small smile tugged on his lips. "Takes practise," He told her, a small laugh slipping through his lips as he sighed. "You'll come around to it too."

She smiled gently, her soft brown stare penetrating deeply into his neutral blue ones before she whispered. "What did you think of the book?"

Aaron gave her a look. "Last time I checked, I'm asking the questions here," But with the scowl she gave him, he sighed before admitting. "I really enjoyed reading it," He told her. "I finished it in a few hours I think, and it was a very creative, well planned plot."

"Did you learn anything from it?" She asked, curiousity brimming in her eyes as she waited for his answer.

His gaze turned soft, subtle blue orbs staring right into her brown ones before he whispered. ❝Some people are nobody's enemies but their own,❞

Rose stared at him, and she stared at him long.

It was as though he just told her something that caught her completely off guard, a small gasp escaping her lips as she looked at him with her surprised brown eyes.

"You learn quotes?" Rose asked, her wide brown eyes staring right into his confused blue ones.

Did he do something weird?

He eyed her weirdly, shrugging as he told her. "Why are you making it seem as though I killed 3 puppies and murdered 5 kittens?"

Rose's eyes widened even more. "What kind of comparison is that?!" She exclaimed, cringing at the image in her head. "Goodness gracious, I really hope you didn't."

Aaron shook his head while he gave her a flat look. "I don't like puppies or kittens anyway, so why waste the effort?"

Horror flashed through Rose's eyes, her mouth open agape as she croaked. "Y-you don't l-like puppies and kittens?" H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶, "That's terrible!"

He shrugged again. "Can't help that I'm allergic,"

Rose pursed her lips, "And I just realised how you totally just changed the subject,"

Aaron almost smile, almost. "And I can't help that you're easily distracted too."

She narrowed her brown eyes at him. "I call foul play."

Now he was smiling. "You can't call a foul play on something I did honestly. I didn't cheat, and I most definitely didn't force you to divert the topic." He was slightly smirking now. "It isn't my fault that you're concentration span is very limited."

She let out a frustrated breath, her annoyed stare still penetrating into his as she defended. "Well I wasn't aware on how manipulative you really are,"

He shrugged. "Not my fault you can't read people as fast as I can,"

He could practically see the fumes steaming from her ears as she said through gritted teeth. "You're quite a handful aren't you?"

He gave her a sarcastic smile. Leaned his head against the shelves behind him. Closed his eyes. "I could say the same to you."

He could hear her small intakes of breath, mumbling to herself Just stay calm Rose, stay calm while she shuffled in her place too.

It was weird sharing his secret place with another human being, and he would be lying if he said it was comfortable.

It was intimidating, and nerve wrecking, because he didn't trust himself, so how could he trust her?

B̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶.

But when he felt something cold that draped its hard self against his arm, he lazily opened one eye to see what it was.

H̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶o̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶b̶r̶e̶a̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶.

"I thought you might like it," Rose mumbled, her eyes darting to her lap as pink swirled around her cheeks. "I mean, you don't need to read it, I just thought maybe you are-"

"Thank you," Aaron breathed out, staring at the little book in her hand before he looked up to her and gave her a small smile. "It's very lovely of you."

He looked down at the book in his hand and smiled, a warmth sensation drenching his entire body in comfort.

H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶l̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, the cover read, making Aaron's smile widen; he didn't know this foreign feeling of happiness that invaded his mind and soul.

H̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶.

"I'll be sure to read it Rose," He said quietly, gentle blue eyes staring at her wide ones. "And I'll tell you all about it." He smiled slightly, nodding his head to himself as he gently packed it in his bag.

H̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶s̶i̶t̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶.

"Hope you like it," Rose said, giving him a warm smile before her lips settled into a thin line. "I tried to message you yesterday, but it said you were busy. Is everything all right?"

And this time he couldn't stop himself - he smiled.

It was completely out of his hand, something that he really couldn't compress within himself as a small laugh escaped his lips too.

She really didn't notice that he gave her the same number.

"Did you notice anything about the numbers Rose?" Aaron asked, letting out a small cough as he tried to stifle the laughter in him. "Anything peculiar at least?"

Rose sat in thought, her furrowed brown eyebrows were enough to answer Aaron's question before she shook her head. "Was I suppose to?"

H̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶, "See for yourself."

Rose then rummaged once again through her bag, finally finding the little piece of paper that they wrote their numbers on the other day before her brown eyes scanned those numerics.

And then she frowned.

She looked up to his playful blue gaze as she sighed in annoyance. "I can't believe you."

He shrugged. "I could say the same to you,"

She narrowed her eyes at him. "You jerk," She then pursed her lips as her brown gaze turned annoyed. "You're unbelievable."

"Can't help that you don't read things as quickly as I do."

"Can't help that you don't read things as quickly as I do," She repeated in mock, her lips in a thin line as she snickered. "You're annoying."

He shrugged. "As if you're any better."

"I'm more conserved and mature for your information," Rose said proudly, her annoyed stare still locked onto his cool blue one. "And don't question me on that."

"Sure," He snickered, shrugging before he added. "Nerd."

And then the bell rang.

✘✘✘

He read throughout the entire day, through boring classes and even during the 5 minute breaks between each lesson.

The truth was he already read this book.

B̶u̶t̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶-̶r̶e̶a̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶c̶i̶a̶l̶.̶ ̶

He finished almost half of the book before he even got on the bus - where he finished another 20 pages before he went home.

And that was when he saw he got something in the mail.

He could feel his hands tremble as he checked the small mailbox right beside his apartment door (It was attached to the wall) and grabbed the 2 envelopes which were resting in it.

His heart seemed to have dropped to the center of the Earth as he entered the apartment because all he could think of was it was finally that time of the year again.

He carelessly dropped his bag on the floor, carefully placed the Harry Potter book on the dining table before tearing through the white envelopes in his hand.

One letter said that the Cafe was indeed going out of business, but Aaron was still required as a staff there, so that soothed his nerves. It was just getting sold to a different owner in a span of 5 business days, and Aaron had nothing to worry about anymore.

But the second letter.

He swallowed after he finished reading it, a nervous breath escaping his lips as he ran a hand through his hair.

It was time to skip school for a few days.

It was always hard for Aaron when this time of the year came around, it was something so sentimental to him that he couldn't help but feel queasy and uncomfortable.

No one knew about it but Luke, and judging from how empty and quiet his apartment is, he didn't know whether he would just tell him in school, or do the leave-a-note-on-the-counter crap.

All these thoughts were hammering his skull, making a groan escape his lips as he felt a headache coming. It was weird on how a single letter -which he wasn't even suppose to receive- can make Aaron a living wreck.

If there was someone who was worth snooping over, it was his brother.

Rubbing his temples, he tried to find anything to ease his mind, anything which could distract him from his toxic thoughts and wrecked mind.

R̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶i̶n̶d̶.̶ ̶

He placed his hand on his pocket, feeling his phone underneath his touch. He was now contemplating on whether he should call her or not.

He then shrugged, a little text wouldn't hurt anybody.

He took his phone out of his pocket, dialed her number (Photographic memory can come in handy sometimes) before he decided to compose a text message.

Now what do I write? He asked himself, pursing his lips in thought as he sighed, Why is this harder than I thought?

It was hard to believe that someone with an IQ as high as Aaron's (He'd never say that though) couldn't figure out what to send to a girl.

He could recite the first 100 digits of Pi in his sleep, memorised each and every single bone in the human body and even took the liberty of by hearting all the brain related diseases known to man, and yet - here he was, on the floor, trying to come up with something to text a girl.

After at least 5 minutes of thought, his fingers started typing in:

I finished the book, and I enjoyed it a lot.

Thank you again for borrowing it to me, and I'll make sure Luke will hand it over to you by tomorrow.

Checking his wrist watch, he continued:

Good night, and sleep well.

-Aaron

Staring at the text on his phone screen, he groaned. Why did it sound as boring as it did? He hated the things his mind could come up with when he was over thinking, but then again, when wasn't he over thinking?

And just for the sake of desperate humor needed in this blunt text, he added:

PS - This is my number, unless you still didn't catch onto that.

H̶e̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶m̶i̶l̶e̶y̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶e̶.̶ ̶

Without a second thought, he pressed sent, and watched as the message disappeared from the screen.

And perhaps it was in that specific moment, or maybe it was about a month ago, but Aaron DeGarner realised that maybe have Rose McLean as a friend wouldn't be such a terrible idea.

Author's Note:

Hey loves! How are you all doing? :D I hope you're all well! :)

So yeah, I updated this quirky lil thang, and I really hope you guys enjoyed it! It was so much fun to write, and if it is even acceptable, I was cracking up while writing Aiden. I love him so much, like I can't. xD

Vote - I fell in love with the way you voted, slowly and then all at once.

Comment - That's the thing about euphoria, it demands to be felt.

Share - Everything is unstable to Nadia.

And this chapter is dedicated to hepburnettes because she is the bombshell who created the well favourite 'Cherry Knots' and is absolutely stunning! She is one of my inspirations on here, and you guys should definitely check out her other books (Or like me, stalk her on every social media possible) and just check this fab gurl out! >.<

And you guys, we reached 19.9+ K on this book, and there is no Law in Physics that can make me understand how on Earth did that happen, but thank you all so much for the lovely support ; your comments mean the entire world to me, and the fact that you guys are spending time on a 15 year old girl's story is just out of this world.

So again thank you for the beautiful support, it encourages me to continue writing. :)

And something that I need to point out is that I don't think I will be able to update any of my books because my IGCSE's are quickly approaching and because of my wonderful procrastinating, I seriously need to study.

But don't worry loves, after May 20th, I will be all yours. I will be updating like a maniac and nothing can stop me.

Just bear with me love, just bear with me.

So yeah, that's all for now loves, until next time. :)

Vote for Aiden ;)

I love you beautiful, remember that. :D

-Nadia <3 :D xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166 0 29
We live, we feel, we love. First experience was a scar, second was a mistake, the third time was just stupid Love can be deceptive, Love can be true...
11.2K 274 20
Falling in love with someone you can never have is the worst feeling in the world...
364 48 12
Every truth is not bitter ,some truth are as sweet as honey and suger , my one is one of them and that is "I LOVE YOU " . It can be called a bitter l...
708 26 8
Updates everyday! Based on real events . Touching real life situations, relationships and feelings also with humor, adventurous plot twists, and a ch...