Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

By rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... More

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

41 ~ Temporariness of a Day

2K 88 241
By rocketeerin

A/N: Not gonna lie, I teared up writing this. Anyway...may I present to you...the moment we've all been waiting for

——————————

"I can't possibly come!" Sybil fussed at Tom. "Really, Mama is incorrigible."

Evelyn had only just walked into the ward from the medicine storage. She eyed them from the doorway.

"It's not poor Branson's fault." Isobel defended.

"But what is the point of Mama's soirees? What are they for?" Sybil complained.

Isobel noticed Evelyn in the doorway and smiled. She had only just got to the hospital after spending some time with her unexpected visitor prior. "Well, I'm going up for dinner tonight and I'm glad. Is that wrong? Evelyn, dear, why don't you take off early today, hm? Come join me at Downton before dinner."

Evelyn raised a brow. "I've only just started working I'd hate to already skip hours." She said sweetly.

"I think Clarkson would be quite alright with it." Isobel pushed.

Evelyn thought Isobel's request was odd and out of the blue. Sure they were close but close enough for her to request Evelyn's presence specifically? Odd.

She smiled. "I'll ask him."

She knew Clarkson would suggest she stay her full hours, but for Isobel's sake, she would ask.

"Wonderful!" She strode in the filing room, leaving Evelyn and Sybil to watch her oddly.

"What was that about?" Sybil asked.

Evelyn shrugged. "I don't know. It's odd. I'm flattered she asked me but...why didn't she ask you as well?"

"I wondered the same. Not that I mind. It's not like I'm going to be her future daughter-in-law."

Evelyn rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious. Maybe that's why. You're actually home now so she probably wants to spend time with you. That's probably all it is."

"Maybe...still. You have to get off as well. I'd feel awful leaving you here."

"Oh don't be daft. You know I don't mind. Plus, it sounds like I'll be leaving early as well anyway...per Mama's request." She scoffed.

Thomas stepped in with some blankets just as Isobel reemerged. "Thomas, you can cover for Nurse Crawley and Nurse Levinson, can't you?"

Thomas raised a brow, eyeing Evelyn. She only shrugged. "I can." He began making up a bed.

Tom strolled over to him, trying to be nice and spark up a conversation. "So you're back, then. Safe and sound."

Thomas hummed. "That's not how I'd put it with my hand the way it is."

"Be nice," Evelyn whispered as she passed them.

Thomas huffed. "Yes, I am. Major Clarkson's found me a place and I'm grateful."

Evelyn finished counting the pills she had taken from the medicine storage, raking them into a cup and giving them to Sybil.

Sybil walked to Thomas and handed him the cup, obviously annoyed with having to hand over her duties. "Can you give Lieutenant Courtenay his pills?"

"Of course I can. I'd be glad to." Thomas smiled.

Evelyn's eyes drifted to Lieutenant Courtenay whose eyes were covered in bandages. He was a sweet man from what Evelyn could tell. She also noticed how Thomas seemed to gravitate towards him...but that bit of information was under development.

Once Evelyn had finished her duties in the ward, she made her way to Clarkson's office and stepped in through the already open door.

"Hello, Evelyn. What can I do for you?"

"Isobel asked if I would be let out early to join her at Downton. Given that it's only my first week and I still have a few hours left of work I figured I'd at least ask-"

"Go on."

Evelyn blinked. "Oh...really?"

He nodded. "Of course. I know Downton is hosting a dinner tonight I can't keep you from that."

She smiled. "Thank you. I'll see you tomorrow, then?"

"Indeed. Have a good evening, Evelyn."

"You too!" She called, already halfway out the door.

Evelyn walked around the ward, making sure she had all of her things stowed away in her bag. Sybil stopped by her. "Ready."

Evelyn eyed her. "Ready? For what?"

"...to leave?"

"Oh," Evelyn chuckled. "You're not riding with me."

Sybil looked rather offended. "Why not?"

"Because...Tom would love to take you home." She winked.

Sybil scoffed. "Evie."

"Nope! You're riding with him or walking."

She growled. "Fine...I don't like you."

"Maybe not. But you like Tom. I'll see you at home!" She chuckled and skipped out of the ward.

Sybil rolled her eyes and spun around, jumping as Thomas stood right behind her. "Good Lord, Thomas. Scared me."

He smirked. "I figured you'd want to know why Lady Isobel asked for Evelyn's presence so early."

"Oh, and you know?"

Thomas nodded. "I have a good idea."

Sybil pursed her lips. "Go on then."

"There's word spreading around that Matthew's home. Suprised his mother this morning."

Sybil gasped. "Are you sure?"

"Well, she hasn't left yet. Why don't you go ask her."

Sybil wasted no time weaving through the ward to find Isobel back in the filing room, putting some folders in their respective drawers.

"Cousin Isobel?"

She looked up and smiled. "Yes, dear?"

"Is Matthew home, by chance?"

Isobel looked a bit shocked before she smiled. "Has Evelyn left?"

Sybil nodded.

"He came in this morning."

Sybil squealed.

"Shhhh," Isobel laughed. "He doesn't know she's home, just as she has no idea about him. I figured we'd let them unite before dinner."

"We? You mean Mama?"

"Yes. I phoned her when he got home."

"It makes sense now! Oh, I must get home." Sybil raced through the ward, grabbing Tom on the way out.

-------------

Evelyn took her self-claimed spot to park on the Downton lot - one which she and Tom argued over a bit...but of course she won. Hopping out, she sighed, knowing that the creepy man would already be here - and she would have to be nice.

Mustering up enough courage, she stepped into the foyer where Sir Richard and Rosamund stood with the family, Robert talking about the chandelier above them - for whatever reason.

Rosamund smiled at her. "Evelyn! Hello darling." She opened her arms and welcomed her kindly.

Evelyn had always liked Rosamund. She reminded her a lot of Robert.

"Hello, Rosamund. Lovely to see you."

"I should be welcoming you home. When did you get back when? Two weeks ago?"

"Almost three, but yes. And thank you. I missed it terribly."

"I'm sure. I can't imagine what it was like out there."

Sir Richard stepped forward, taking a place by Rosamund. His grey, beady eyes burrowed into her. "Neither could I. A woman seeing the Front is something quite taboo...as is a woman in uniform."

Evelyn could see Robert and Violet shift a bit, slightly embarrassed at Sir Richard's words. Whether they were embarrassed for Evelyn's sake or for the family she didn't know. Either way, she already wasn't pleased with his presence.

She raised a brow. "Taboo how?"

He smirked. "I'm still a firm believer that a woman should be treated like the delicate flower she is."

"Sat in the sun and given water every now and again?"

He pursed his lips, eyeing her. He was both intrigued by the girl's attitude and irritated. "I do apologize if I've offended you, Evelyn. It was not my intention. I simply mean that war is no place for a woman."

"Men fight wars. Women win them. That was a quote by Queen Elizabeth the first, I believe. She was queen in the late 1500s...we're in the twentieth century now. We've come a long way since her day, haven't we? Then again after this exchange...maybe not."

Nearly every jaw in the room was slacked. They had no clue where this sudden hostility came from - it was very unlike Evelyn. While the family was rather mortified and slightly embarrassed, Cora and Violet knew well that Evelyn didn't act like this for no reason - they knew something about this man set her off and they intended to keep an eye on him for that reason.

Evelyn smiled. "I'm going upstairs to change." She did as she said without another word.

Robert cleared his throat. "Sir Richard, I apologize for our niece's behavior. She never does this...stress from work, I suppose."

He chuckled. "Don't feel the need to apologize to me, Robert. She's feisty, just like her father if I remember correctly. I take no offense to her words."

------------

Isobel stepped down the stairs of her home in a black evening dress - the attire for tonight was a bit extra formal given the special guests. She saw Matthew standing in front of the hall mirror, fixing his white bowtie.

"I don't understand why we're arriving so early. That now normally how we would do things." Matthew stated wearily.

"I want everyone to be able to see you and greet you. It's been a while since they've seen you. I don't see anything wrong with that." She said casually.

He still found it odd, but what could he do. "Hm."

-------------

Evelyn rummaged through her jewelry, trying to find something to match the cream dress she had laid out on the bed. There was a gentle knock on the door. Just based on the tone of the knock alone, Evelyn knew who it was.

"You can come in if you don't scold me."

Cora stepped in with a smile. "I'm not going to scold you...entirely."

Evelyn sighed.

"What's wrong, dear?" She sat on the edge of the bed.

"Nothing's wrong. I just don't like him. My intuition is usually right."

"And that's why I'm not lighting your behind up for that." She smiled. "I trust your judgment. However, for the sake of keeping the peace while he's here try to keep your thoughts to yourself...even though I agree with what you said."

Evelyn huffed but nodded.

"Is this what you're wearing?"

She nodded.

Cora hummed and rose to her feet, striding the wardrobe and scanning through the dresses. Evelyn just watched, perhaps her aunt had a better idea for what she should wear tonight. Cora did indeed.

"How about this one?"

She pulled one out from the back. The structure of the dress was a peach nude color, form-fitting. Outside of the dress was opaque black tulle and formed almost as close as the dress underneath. The neckline was straight across the chest with delicately bunched tulle as an accent. Sheer black tulle made up the long sleeves, stopping at the wrists and cuffed with black silk. It had a dainty blush/peach jeweled belt around the waist. It was in no way a gown - it was a normal evening dress, only with some extras.

"Isn't that a bit too formal?"

Cora shook her head. "Tonight is a little more formal than usual anyway...given our guests and all."

"It's only Rosamund, who isn't exactly a newcomer to the house, and I know we're not going all out for Sir Richard...who I'd say isn't entirely welcome."

Cora smiled. "Perhaps...but I think it's perfect. You've never even worn it. It's beautiful. Humor me, hm?"

Evelyn nodded. "I'll give it a try."

"Excellent." She laid it out on the bed. "Get dressed and come down...Isobel should be here soon."

Evelyn furrowed her brows. "You're acting weird too."

"Too?"

"Isobel was acting weird at the hospital today. What's going on?"

"Hm...can't imagine why she was. Just nerves on my end, dear. Haven't had a proper formal dinner in a while. Plus, we're two footmen short."

Evelyn nodded, seeing the validity in Cora's reasoning.

"Well then...go be a tremendous hostess, ease your nerves."

Cora smiled. "I shall. Come down soon." She left, closing the door gently.

Evelyn ran her hand over the dress. It was quite pretty.

-----------

Pushing the final pin in her hair, Evelyn smoothed out a few fly-aways in her loose updo. She figured with it being a "semi-formal" dinner she would amuse the family and actually put her hair up - though, in her own way. Most of the hair was twisted at the base of her neck, some free curls falling down her back. Some additional curls hung around her face and ears. She was pleased with it.

She occasionally glanced out the window, feeling rather out of place getting ready this early. It was an extremely rare occurrence that she was ready for evening dinner when it was so light out. Granted, the sun was just starting to set, but it was still rather sunny.

Slipping on her black mini heels, she figured she would face the family and head into the drawing-room. Everyone sat and chatted casually. Evelyn was pleased to see that Mary had Sir Richard's attention over by the fireplace along with Robert. Gliding to the opposite end of the room, she sat down with Cora, Violet, Rosamund, and Edith.

"Feels odd being ready this early. Was there a reason for that, Cora?" Rosamund asked, sipping her tea.

Cora smiled. "Just wanted to...spice things up a bit."

Edith eyed her. "Since when have you been one to spice things up?"

"Since now." She stated. "Besides, I didn't figure all of us would be able to get ready for dinner on time..."

"What does that mean?" Edith asked.

Cora caught herself. "I mean with Sybil working."

"But she just got home she'd have plenty of time to get ready before dinner-"

"Oh for heaven's sake, Edith, we're ready early in case of a natural disaster. If you have such an issue with it go put on a nighty and wait for the dinner bell." Violet fussed.

Violet wouldn't usually defend Cora...if she didn't know the reason behind the odd timing she would probably be just as much of a pest as Edith. Violet had heard the same gossip as Thomas had regarding the sudden appearance of Matthew Crawley. Being the bright woman she was, she put two and two together.

The news had also spread like a wildfire downstairs.

"He's coming tonight?" Daisy asked with a grin.

"He likely will." Anna shrugged, equally as excited. "Knowing them, they've probably kept it from both of them. If Evelyn would have known she'd be down here gushing about it I'm sure."

"Oh, how exciting!" Daisy beamed.

Mrs. Patmore smiled. "The poor girl deserves a nice reunion after nearly three years of heartache."

Anna nodded. "Certainly does."

"Is he still going to propose?" Daisy asked.

"Of course he will! The love that boy had for her isn't something to vanish for no good reason." Mrs. Patmore shouted. "I'd say we won't get news of any engagement anytime soon, but eventually I don't see why not."

Daisy's hummed. "Why not now? I thought they still loved each other."

Anna smiled. "They do. I know they do. But being so distant for that long can make people grow apart, no matter how in love you may be. They were also left on a rocky note. I think they'll be able to pick up right where they left off...but as Mises Patmore said, an engagement might be a ways away. They may love each other, but they'll have to learn to love again."

Anna sighed. She spoke directly from the heart. While she knew what she was feeling wasn't near the extent Evelyn felt, she still felt the effects of being apart from someone she loved. She wasn't sure how her and Bates' engagement would go when he returned...so she spoke honestly. The heart can grow apart and that scared her.

Anna snapped out of her thoughts to see Daisy and Mises Patmore staring at her, clearly seeing the hurt in the girl's eyes.

She smiled. "Anyway. I'll go finish stitching. Let me know if you hear any more news."

-------------

"I'm here! So sorry." Sybil waltzed into the drawing-room and took a seat by her mother. She had cleaned up rather quickly, not wanting to miss a moment of the Crawley's arrival.

"You're fine, dear. We were discussing the new no-stockings fad." Cora filled her in.

"A disgrace, really," Violet added.

Evelyn chuckled.

"What isn't a disgrace to you, grandmama?" Evelyn asked.

Violet pondered for a moment. "Tradition."

Evelyn smirked. "That's what I thought you'd say."

"What's got Mama so riled up over here?" Robert asked as he joined them, followed by Mary and Sir Richard.

Evelyn groaned.

"Nothing of importance to you men," Violet remarked.

"Oh, I'm sure." Sir Richard added, directing his gaze to Evelyn.

She rolled her eyes, knowing the man wanted a fight. However, she intended to keep her word to Cora. The conversation continued as everyone joined in, eventually shifting to the topic of war. Evelyn zoned out but focused on Cora, who kept looking back at the door with nearly every noise...odd.

"I think nurses are a tremendous asset to the war efforts." Sir Richard stated.

Evelyn wanted to pipe in, asking about his contradiction to 'war is no place for a woman,' but she held her tongue. She was sure he'd say something to bring back his douche arura anyway.

"That is if they stay taking care of the men as they were told."

There it is.

Sybil twisted her face. Evelyn chuckled silently, glad to have another warrior on her side.

Evelyn finished her tea before rising to her feet, brushing the tulle down. "If you all will excuse me, I think I'm going to step outside and get some fresh air before the sun leaves us."

"Of course, dear." Cora smiled.

She drifted out of the room, rolling her eyes dramatically as soon as she was out of sight. She slowly strolled in the foyer, kicking the hem of the dress and watching the tulle fly up and return to its place as slowly as autumn leaves would. It was fun for the moment. She roamed into the back hall, near the back door where the small garden was. She hadn't been out there in a while, might be nice.

Before she went out, however, she made a detour down another hall. She came to a dark wood door and peaked in - Isis's room. Yes, Isis had her own room. The room was fairly large with a small window overlooking the garden. The dog was curled up in her royal purple dog bed surrounded by her numerous stuffies. Isis lifted her head as her tail instantly started bouncing to greet her visitor.

"Hi, pretty girl." She stepped in and picked up a ball. "Wanna go outside?" Isis darted out of bed and stood by Evelyn, awaiting her next command. "Let's go."

The girl and the dog made their way out back, Evelyn lugging the ball as far as she could as soon as they stepped out the door. Isis took off after it. Evelyn smiled and slipped her heels off, leaving them by the door as she followed the gravel path through some trees where the ball had landed. She eventually found Isis laying down in the field of yellow flowers a bit away from the house, chewing on the ball.

"Hey, you're supposed to bring it back to me." Evelyn playfully wrestled the dog for the ball.

------------

Carson stepped into the drawing-room, clearing his throat to get everyone's attention. "Mises Crawley and Captain Crawley."

Isobel and Matthew entered after their introductions. Matthew's eyed swept the room, his face fell a bit at the still expected absence - but he had hoped at least, now that America had put their foot into the war and opened their borders. Maybe she still didn't want to come home...

Robert smiled. "Matthew! Welcome home. Still in one piece. Thank God."

He chuckled. "Touch wood."

Robert sighed. "I never stopped touching it."

"Matthew, hello. We had no idea you would be joining us." Mary grinned.

Who was she kidding? They all suspected as much

"Do you know Sir Richard Carlisle? My cousin, Captain Crawley." She introduced.

"Pleasure, Captain."

Matthew nodded politely. "Pleasure is mine, Sir Richard. My apologies for keeping everyone waiting. Now that we're all here I'm sure you'd like to get dinner started."

Cora smiled. "Not everyone's here."

Sybil nudged her mother, leaning to her ear. "You don't want to just tell him, do you?"

"I don't know what would be the best way to do this?"

Mary joined them. "Maybe just wait a bit longer until she gets back?"

Cora sighed. "She's going to take as long as she possibly can to stay away from Sir Richard so with our luck we'd all be seated halfway into the first course before she turns up again."

Isobel soon crossed the room to join in the hushed huddle along with Rosamund and Edith. Violet stayed in her chair, unamused as she just listened to them bicker.

Matthew couldn't hear what they were saying, but his brows furrowed dramatically in utter confusion. He knew they were talking about him since they kept giving him glances.

"Have I done something wrong?" He asked Robert.

Robert nervously chuckled. "No...though it would seem that way wouldn't it."

Violet sighed loudly and stood up. "Why must I do everything myself." She leaned into the huddle. "I know neither of them wants the entire family watching their reunion. So, I'll handle it." She turned and made her way to Matthew, who watched her approach like a scared child. She held out her hand. "Matthew, dear, I'm not feeling so well. Would you be a darling and escort this wise old woman on a walk in the garden?"

Matthew didn't hesitate to offer her his arm, as a gentleman would. "Of course."

As they left the drawing-room, Violet made sure to send them all an annoyed glare before disappearing down the hall.

The two made casual chat as they ventured through the foyer and towards the glass double doors to the garden. Violet noticed the pink and orange hue of the sky and the gentle breeze rocking the willow trees in the distance. It was a perfect little stage for a long-awaited reunion.

As they stepped out the door, Violet was the first to notice Evelyn's heels left off the side of the step. "She would run around outside barefoot before a formal dinner."

Matthew followed her gaze to the heels. It took a few seconds of processing as his mind went through several rationales: all of the Crawley sisters are inside, the only guest who would wear heels was Rosamund and they were too small to belong to the tall woman, and they likely didn't belong to a member of staff since it wouldn't make sense that Violet would recognize them if they did. That only left one other option and oh God did he hope he was right.

He looked at Violet, his eyed searching for confirmation. Violet's knowing smile was all he needed. "Join us when you're ready." She released his arm and made her way back to the drawing-room, leaving the nervous man in the corridor alone.

The sound of a dog barking in the distance encouraged him to venture towards it, giving him some idea of where his intended target might be. The gravel trail led him through some beautiful plots of flowers and trees that hung over the path. Eventually, he came to a little hill that blocked his view of the pasture - the pasture he remembered well as it was the place where Evelyn told him she would be leaving for America.

Isis's barking contained followed by an angelic laugh. His heart stopped and dropped to his stomach, his hand landing there to calm himself. Under any other circumstances, he would run over the hill and embrace her; however, he had several unanswered questions.

How long had she been home?

If she was home why didn't he know?

Why didn't she write to him?

Did she get his letter?

Did she know that he still loved her?

Did she still love him?

There was only one way to find out. With a deep inhale, he made the short trek up the hill and eventually reached the top.

There she was.

Her back was to him. Her loose updo was a complete mess from her game of fetch with Isis. The hem of her dress reached the tops of the grass, hiding her feet and making it seem as if she were floating when she would move. She stood still after tossing the ball again, locking her hands in front of her. The breeze caused her stray, brown waves to fly, as well as her skirt. The hue of the sky reflected off what little of her rosy cheeks she could see.

He was so in awe. Three years does wonder for the mind's adaptation in absence - she was even more beautiful than he remembered. He thought the picture did her justice...he was wrong. Nothing compared to seeing her animated. He would never forget that again.

As he had in his letter, the world looked lifeless without her - the world around her now had life to it. He saw light and colors he never really noticed before. A heart in love gives way to the admiration of the things around it.

He didn't know how he'd feel seeing her, but as the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder - nothing could be truer at this moment.

Without thinking, his feet carried him closer, causing the gravel beneath him to shift. Evelyn heard the noise, figuring it was Sybil coming to retrieve her for dinner.

"I'll be in in a bit. I don't want to listen to that God-awful man speak more than absolutely necessary." She called over her shoulder.

Isis ran back to her with the ball clutched tightly in her jaws; however, the ball became of little interest to with the presence of a new visitor. Isis dropped the ball in front of Evelyn and ran past her to 'Sybil.'

Evelyn pouted and reached down, picking up the ball and smiling. "Come out here to steal me away from my peace and steal my dog," she spun on her heels. "How kind of you..."

The ball fell from her grasp as her hands went weak - along with her whole body. She suddenly couldn't breathe out of shock. She blinked a few times, making sure she was seeing this correctly. Her breath became jagged as her nose burned furiously with the threat of tears - tears that also found their way into those beautiful blue eyes staring into her soul.

She tried to speak, too stunned and guilty to get it out the first try. Eventually, she managed to stutter a few words. "I...I-I'm so sorry, Matthew."

His trance was broken at the crack of her voice. He shook his head and took off to her, wrapping her in a strong embrace - so strong, in fact, that he ensured she would never leave him again. The surreal moment became real for both of them in a matter of seconds. The tears flowed freely as they held each other in silence. While he never wanted to let go, he wanted to see her.

Pulling away, he held her face in his hands, wiping her tears. "Don't apologize to me. You have nothing to apologize for."

She sniffed and stuttered. "Of course I do! I hurt you. I'm so sorry."

He smiled. "Evelyn...it's in the past. I made my amends when I wrote my letter to you. I put that behind me and waited for this day when I would get to see you again. But still, I find the need to remind myself of the temporariness of a day...and in this day, as unexpected as it was, you're home. Finally home. With me."

She smiled. "The most wonderful things in life are just that...unexpected."

He grinned as she quoted a line from his letter.

"You did read it."

"Read it? I lived it. If you asked me to refresh your memory I could recite the entire thing to you word for word. It was all I had to get me through the chaos."

"How much chaos could there have been in America?"

Her smile faltered for a moment before she regained it, placing her hands on his cheek and gazing into his eyes. "There's a lot I need to tell you...but, as you said, let's remember the temporariness of a day...and enjoy it. No sadness, no guilt, no war stories."

He could tell something was wrong, but he knew they would eventually be able to share their tales. He nodded. "I will say though...you do something as minor as hit your arm on a door frame I want to know. Nothing is being kept to ourselves, do you understand?" He playfully urged.

She chuckled and nodded, wrapping her arms around his neck to pull him into another sweet hug. He looped his arms around her waist, resting his head on hers.

"Welcome home, my dear Matthew."

For the first time in a long time, the reconciled couple felt completely at peace...the world didn't feel so lifeless anymore.

----------------

A/N: How was it?😊

Editing in progress (as usual)...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5K 20 17
• The second book of the 'Viscount Downton' trilogy • Alex Crawley and his family now have a new adventure coming to them: they're heading to the Sou...
35.5K 1.3K 39
**DRAFT MOSTLY** FOR FANS OF BRIDGERTON Rose Axel is deformed from the burns she endured from her father. Her face is forever hidden under a veil. He...
14.3K 621 60
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...
24.5K 394 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...