THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

THE WALL

623 5 0
By Saptaswapal

300 AC

THE NORTH

BAY OF SEALS

ROBB STARK

Robb looked on, from the back of the lead ship, at the new Royal armada.

If it could be even called an armada.

The war had reduced the once proud Royal fleet comprised of hundreds of vessels, from huge Wargalleys and hardy Dormonds, to little more than a dozen Longships.

It had taken a month to properly restore the Fleet, with the help and contribution of Houses Manderly, Seastark, Redwyne and Lannister, they had managed to make a patchwork of ships.

But even then the Royal Fleet remained under-strength, with little more than fifty ships, made of mainly Longships and lumbering troop transports.

Restoring the Royal Fleet will be one of his main priorities, once he returned to the Capital.

His thoughts were interrupted when Theon walked up behind him.

"Your Grace." The New Grand Admiral of the Royal Fleet, said as he walked up behind Robb.

"Theon, You know you don't have to call me that, when we are alone" Robb said smiling.

Theon shrugged uncaringly and Robb shook his head before asking "What is it?".

"I thought you might want to know that we are a day out from Eastwatch. It seems the winds have been in your favor".

"Thank you." Robb nodded in relief

Theon turned to leave the king to his thoughts but was stopped.

"Theon."

"Yes, Robb."

"I wished to ask you about something".

"What is it?" Theon asked curiously.

Robb hesitated for a few moments before he asked "You know that, now that you have a position in the Small Council. You have to stay in King's Landing and oversee the restoration of the Royal Navy".

Theon nodded "I already know that" He said narrowing his eyes "So what of it?".

Robb frowned before asking "I only wanted to ask who will rule pike in your stead".

"My sister will" Theon answered immediately.

Robb raised an eyebrow "Will the proud Iron Born follow a woman".

Theon chuckled humourlessly "She was the reason, behind my success in taking the Salt Throne" He said, his mouth twisting in disgust "If Asha only had placed her claim, I wouldn't have a chance".

"Why?".

"Most of the Iron Men don't even respect me Robb" Theon said sadly "They see me as a green lander. More northerner than an Iron Born. A belief which solidified, after I refused the Salt Crown and supported your claim to the Iron Throne" 

Robb looked at him in shock "You refused the crown" He said in shock, causing Theon to nod in confirmation.

Robb finally understood how much Theon sacrificed for him. Even going against his own people, for him.

"Thank You Theon" Robb said with gratitude, "You don't know how much you have helped me".

"Don't thank me" Theon smiled "After all we are brother, now and always".

"Now and always" Robb repeated with a smile, before embracing Theon in a brotherly hug.

"Thank You" Robb whispered in his embrace "My brother".

"Always" Theon smiled, hugging him back "Brother".

-----------------------------------------------------------------

It had been late at night when they had arrived at Eastwatch. Cotter Pyke had welcomed him with all the courtesy that could be expected from a hardened Ironborn bastard.

But nevertheless, The Castlean Of The Eastwatch-By-The-Sea, was relieved that Robb's men had brought essential supplies with them.

After the long Sea journey, his men had been looking forward to a nights rest, before they made their journey to Castle Black.

But Unfortunately for them, they would have to wait. Robb had wanted to head out at soon as they landed and readh Castle Black before it was too late.

Theon helped with the unloading of man, material and supplies from the ships. Lord Roose Bolton and Ser Brynden Blackfish were placed in charge of the remaining forces, while Robb led a force of around a hundred men on ahead, to reinforce Castle Black, before the rest of there army arrives.

The journey, from Eastwatch to Castle Black was one of the most grueling journey, Robb had ever endured.

Even some of his most loyal men, like Smalljon and Eddard Karstark, cursed him under their breath for the grueling pace he had set. They traveled nearly 50 miles each day and had only been given 5 hours to rest for the next day's ride.

He had feared that the gruelling journey would have killed the horses with exhaustion. So he had ordered every rider to bring two horses, with them, as a spare. So they don't have to fear killing the horses.

After four gruelling days, of journey, the fortress of Castle Black, could be seen in the distance from the hill there horses stood on.

Robb relief was wiped out from his face, when he saw the his greatest fear coming true.

He has arrived just in time to see Castle Black up in flames. And what looked like a small band of wildlings had just pushed their way into the castle.

He wasted no time, as he turned towards his men and ordered them to attack.

"Charge" Robb shouted at the top of his voice, as he unsheathed Lightbringer from it's scabbard. The sword struck to his name and glowed in it's ethernal colours.

The adrenaline and their king's spirt kept the tired men of his party going as they charged into Castle Black. There weapons at the ready.

There entrance and Robb's flaming sword surprised both friend and foe alike. It was easy to distinguish the enemy as they rode in. The fire reflected of the black leather of the men from the Night's Watch. The furs of the wildlings remained dull in the firelight.

His vanguard smashed into the Wildlings and their enemy fell, like leaves in autumn.

Every warrior, in his hundred men strong vanguard, we're veterans of war, battle tasted and seasoned. They had no problem with smashing through the undisciplined Wildlings.

The wildlings soon understand that they were outmatched and began to retreat, as reinforcements poured into the castle.

The men of the Night's Watch, seeing their enemies retreating, rallied together and began pushing back their enemy. The wildlings, who were left behind, fought back on to front valiantly but their number's soon dwindled.

Robb's men spread out across the castle and even into the tunnel to support the men of the Night's Watch. And in the next few minutes the Wildling army, on this side of the Wall, we're systematically slaughtered.

Robb was however, taken by surprise when his horse, suddenly fell dead underneath him. He looked at the corpse and saw an arrow sticking out of its eyes.

"Shit!!" He cursed and looked up to see from where the arrow came from.

He looked on in front of him and saw a women with red hair preparing to fire another arrow.

He growled raising his shield just in time to block the arrow, before launching himself at the female wildling.

To Robb's surprise she managed to dodge his wild charge and tried to use her dagger to attack him.

Unfortunately for her though, Robb, thanks to his quick reflexes honed by the war, managed to catch her wrist with  a powerful grip.

The Wildling tried to wiggle out of his hold, but Robb simply twisted his arm before punching her square in the stomach, with his gauntleted fist.

He felt a crack and he knows that his punch had broken a rib. The Wildling gasped in pain before falling to her, coughing up blood.

His men quickly surround the downed foe, swords drawn and teeth bared. One of his men notched an arrow, no doubt waiting for his order.

Robb signaled to him to stand down as he looked at the women. His men moved out of the way as the danger seemed to have passed.

"It's over. Drop the dagger and you can live." Robb looked on as she ignored his words and continued to try and stand. She clutched her dagger, as she managed to get to her knees. "You've fought bravely but it's over. Give up."

"Never!" She yelled.

Robb sighed as he lowered his ahead in acceptance. "So be it."

Some people preferred a warrior's death then to surrender he knew.

Regardless he was not going to let her take any of his men to the grave. Robb raised Lightbringer to finish her off.

"Ygritte yield." A voice cried out.

Robb turned to see his a man running up towards the women. "Please Ygritte. It's over."

It took Robb a few seconds to realise that the man was, none other than his brother, Jon Snow.

Robb frowned. On one hand he was happy and relieved, that his brother is alive and unharmed. But on the other he couldn't understand Jon's relation with the Wildling.

There is no doubt, that there is something intimate between them. The way, Jon says her name, makes it clear than water.

Robb turned back to look at Wildling again. He wasn't sure if it was his brother's words that managed to reason with her or if her body just gave out, but regardless she dropped her dagger. His brother quickly, ran over to her and caught her before she fell to the ground.

Jon delicately picked her up in his arms and rushed her into the castle, no doubt to treat the Wildling.

Robb was about to follow Jon but was kept from it by another surviving wildling. He walked over to find a large man with a red beard thrashing a spear around. Several men from the Night's Watch surrounded the man but they were all reluctant to attack him.

Robb signaled to one of his own men and the wildling was brought down by an arrow to the leg. There was uneasy calm amongst the men as the final wildling was brought down.

Robb was the one to break the silence. "Who is in charge here?"

The men looked at each other in confusion. Finally one of the men managed to speak. "Lord Commander Snow, but I know not where he is."

Robb wanted more than anything to see his brother but someone needed to bring order to the men. So he quickly took charge and began ordering the men.

He had his own men tend to the wounded and ordered the dead be burned. There had only been two wildling survivors. Jon had taken one and the other had been put in the ice cells.

He had sent 15 of his archers, to the top of the wall to relive the men their and to get a report.

Half an hour, after the battle ended, several men came down claiming that the Wall had been finally secured and remaining Wildlings had all retreted.

It was at that point Robb finally felt comfortable leaving to go see his brother.

Robb asked for one of the men to take him to see his brother. An incredibly fat man offered and Robb followed him into the castle. He was flanked by Patrek Mallister, Eddard Karstark and Smalljon Umber all followed Robb. They came to the only room that had a candled burning.

They came to the room and the man said "This is the room" He said shyly.

"Thank you" Robb nodded with a smile, and with his hands he gestured his guards to stand guard outside, before entering the room.

The room is moderate in size, with the only source of light, being a small candle burning at the side.

There were three occupants inside the room, his brother, the Wildling and an aged Maester.

"I have bandaged the wound. All she needs now is rest. I've given her some milk of the poppy to help her deal with the pain." The old Maester said.

"Thank you Maester Aemon." Jon replied as he knelt down next to the bed.

Robb stared at his brother in silence for several moments. He had known as soon as his brother spoke the women's name that Jon had loved her.

He said her name the same way that Robb used to said Dacey's name, before her death.

Robb had been more then surprised that his brother had become intimate with a women at the Wall. He had remembered Theon mocking Jon for days after he had taken Jon to the brothel in winter town. Jon had left the whore's room as soon as she had undressed.

"I'd never though Jon to be one to break his vows for a women" Robb thought, after all Jon was the most honourable out of all the Stark children.

He shook his head before calling his brother "Jon." Robb said in a low voice.

His brother stood up and faced him. "Robb?" He replied in shock.

"You seem surprised" Robb drily said, after all it was him who injured Jon's wildling.

His brother shook his head "During the battle I had heard a voice that sounded like you, but I dismissed it" He said "The light of your sword masked your face, so I couldn't see who it is".

"And I thought you were too interested for your friend here, to look for me" Robb teased, before he embraced his brother in a tight hug.

"So you came, huh" Jon asked when he was released from the hug.

"Of course I would come" Robb said almost offended "No crown would ever be enough to separate my family".

"From what I have heard, it seems you've taken to your crown quite well. Undefeated in battle. Father would be proud." Jon said attempting to reassure his brother.

A small smile formed on Robb's face. "The battles have been the easy part. It's the ruling that is tough." Robb said smiling.

Jon smiled before his face turned serious "Good" He nodded seriously "We will need your skill in the battles to come".

"Don't worry, this was only my vanguard" Robb assured him "My main army is only a day's ride from here. Once they arrive, the battle with the Wildlings will be over quickly".

Jon shook his head "It's not the Wildlings".

"So what is it?" He asked.

Jon looked at him in the eye "White Walkers" he said, his voice grave.

Robb laughed at that "White Walkers? Have the Wall turned you into a senile too."

"It's not tale. I've seen them. The dead are rising and their coming for all of us." Jon said to his brother in a grave tone.

"Have you gone mad as well? Those are just stories Old Nan use to tell us."

"Don't tell me there just stories. I've seen them with my own eyes!"

Robb stared into his brother's eyes and saw a level of fear he had only seen in the eyes of men about to die. Jon waited for his words to sink into his brother. "We captured a wildling women who tried to kill Bran. Before I marched south she told me I was marching my army the wrong way. She told me that the dead were rising beyond the Wall." Robb gave a sad chuckle. "I thought she was mad."

"It's true unfortunately. After 8,000 years the White Walkers have returned and where going to need your help if we have any chance to stop them."

"We need to handle one problem at a time. The wildling army is preparing for another assault. With the men of my guard we should be able to keep them from crossing the Wall but it will take the rest of the men I brought to the Wall to crush this wildling host. I have nearly 5000 men, all horsed, they should be here in a day at the most."

"I need to talk to you about that. I believe we can reach a truce with Mance Rayder." Jon said.

"A truce?" Robb replied skeptically. "What kind of truce could we have with wildlings?"

"You say wildling like there not just people. The freefolk are only seeking safety behind the Wall. I've seen what our true enemy is and it's not them. We can't let the others add them to their army" Jon said, a little angry "The Night's Watch is not strong enough to hold them back alone. We can form an alliance with the freefolk and they could aid us in defending the Wall."

"Aid us in defending the Wall?" Robb said incredulously. "Do you hear yourself, Snow? Has this Wilding whore made you forgot your vows!" Robb yelled at his brother.

Jon was about to yell at his brother but Robb silenced him.

"I am sorry, I shouldn't have yelled at You" Robb apologised quickly "My men have travelled 150 miles, in three days to reach Castle Black. We are all tired.

Jon looked at his brother's tired fave before he nodded reluctantly "A meeting will be formed in the morning. We'll discuss it then." He said stiffly.

Robb nodded in confirmation before he exited the room, with his Battleguards.

The room was silent for a few moments before Ygritte spoke.

"So that's one of your southern kings?" Ygritte said weakly.

Jon instantly turned to Ygritte. "You're awake?!" He said in a mix of shock and relief.

"I thought you southerners where supposed to kneel to your kings." She snickered as if she hadn't barely escaped death.

Jon stood in silence as he processed Ygritte's recovery. "Courtesies are not allows kept up with in private and less so with family. When I left Winterfell we were only boys. The master at arms would not even allow him to carry real steel. Now he is a king commanding armies." Jon let out the faintest of laughs at the thought.

"Your brother had been kissed by fire, like me." She said forming a weak smile that showed her crooked teeth.

"He gets it from his mother. The Tully's our known for their red hair. It's most prominent in my half-sister Sansa." Jon began to smile. "The younger sister was the only one that received our father's traits. She once cried to her mother because she thought she was a bastard like me."

"He's pretty, your brother." Ygritte japed.

"All the girls at Winterfell thought the same" Jon replied refusing to give into her teasing.

"Is lord snow jealous?" She questioned with a smirk.

Jon only laughed in answer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done!

So Robb has finally reached Castle Black and managed to rout the Wildlings. And as you can see Ygritte is taken alive, because of Robb's timely arrival.

Robb learned about the White Walkers, now what he will do to prepare Westeros.

If you all liked this chapter. Please leave a comment below as you all know than reviews are food for a writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.1K 64 7
Alysanne Stark is the daughter of Brandon Stark and Aemma Targaryen. Titled the Dragon of the North, the Rose White of Winterfell, the last Targaryen...
150K 4.9K 72
"𝑊𝑜𝑙𝑓'𝑠 𝐵𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑑," their father always called it. Could make a man or woman wild in a sense, unpredictable, and powerful. And when a violet-e...
1.5M 56.7K 114
A daughter born admits snow with ice in her eyes and fire in her heart A son born admits flames with fire in his eyes and ice in his heart The union...
247K 8.3K 117
𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐜𝐞 𝐃𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐨𝐧| ❝ 𝐅𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐜𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐬; 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐬𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐠𝐞𝐭❞ In whi...