My Darling Katherina

By Sophie_BookQ

What if Amarantha was pregnant with Rhysand's daughter and he didn't know about it until years later? Will sh... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty- One
Chapter Thirty-TwoοΏΌ
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Twenty

2K 61 9
By Sophie_BookQ

Caldor had always wanted to be a warrior.

He had always wanted to protect those who were afraid to stand up. Comfort those who need the reassurance that everything will be okay.

His mother was one he couldn't protect.

His mother was the one he wanted to tell that everything was going to be okay.

Since he was a kid, he could remember his father always coming home all sweaty and scarred.

A warrior he said.

A warrior was what he was.

What a sorry excuse for one.

A warrior's job is to protect those who are unable to protect themselves.

A warrior is supposed to be a symbol of protection and hope.

Everything his father wasn't.

He was abusive and cruel.

He'd beat them instead of sheltering them until everything was a gory mess. Instead of being kind and caring, all he exposed himself to was a coward.

A monster

A monster who killed his mother.

A monster who then killed himself because he couldn't take the loss...

Since then, Caldor vowed to never be like him. Vowed to kill all monsters who threaten his city.

So he trained.

Trained until his muscle would turn to liquid, until his heart might explode.

Trained to remind him to never be weak again.

But that was until he met her.

She made him weak, made him vulnerable.

He knew from when he saw her, she would break him. Break him into a million pieces until there was nothing left.

He didn't mind it one bit.

She was beautiful, enchanting. Out of a dream.

And she was burning.

She was burning in a flame of agony and blood. Her hair was a representation of the fire.

Yet her eyes... Her eyes look like the sea.

Deep and unknown. But also kind and soft.

All he wanted to do was dive into them and get lost in them for the rest of his life.

Her skin was milky white, as if she had been carved out of the Moon and Stars. And her voice, like a sweet addicting lullaby he wanted to listen to forever.

Please pray to the Mother that he didn't fall to his knees right away.

But when her indigo eyes rested on him, he realized he needed to get down on his knees. Because she was revealed to be the Night's High Princess.

"Can you tell me your name?" She asked.

"Caldor, High Princess,"

"OK, enough with the flirting. Return to your training, everyone!" His commander screamed angrily.

He couldn't get her out of his head for the rest of the day.

Which was bad. Really bad.

He shouldn't be thinking about her like this. Who was one, way out of his league and second, was High Princess of the Night Court.

The only thing he should be thinking about her is how to keep her safe.

Yet he couldn't help but wonder if they were flirting.

When he saw her standing beside his commander's tent, an exhausted look on her face, his thoughts didn't get much father.

Caldor realized he couldn't just approach her, especially since she was the daughter of his High Lord.

He didn't want to seem disrespectful since his High Lord has given him so much. But, on the other hand, if she needed something, wouldn't it be rude of him not to approach her?

He approached her gently, making sure to make some noise so as not to startle her.

"Are you alright, High Princess?"

***

It has been a couple days since then. He'd be training, and she'd come to the Camp with his Commander, and they'd talk until she had to leave.

He'd run into her while roaming through Velaris on occasion, and he'd offer to help her with her bags and belongings.

This was one of those nights, but unlike the others, he had no intention of running into her.

It was a quiet and still night. The stars were obscured by the clouds in the sky, but the moon shone brightly until they quickly covered it up.

Caldor couldn't sleep that night, his nightmares haunting him.

He'd awoke in sweat and tears. His heart was beating with fear.

He crept out of his shared tent, expecting to clear his thoughts with a walk.

He hadn't expected to see her, the rain pouring down on her.

She had the appearance of a ghost. Her nightgown was soaked and see-through, her skin was paler than usual, and her hair was dripping wet.

He realized he should've approached her and inquired as to why she was out here. If she's all right.

He couldn't do anything except stare.

Stare as she walked through the rain, as though she was dancing with it. She looked... different than before.

'Obviously she looks different!' He mentally cursed himself.

But that wasn't what he meant.

She looked free. Gentle.

The crown she donned, the jewelry she bore, everything. Everything about her screamed powerful. Dangerous.

No matter how quiet her voice sounded, or how soft her skin looked; she was still intimidating.

Now, though, she appeared frail, afraid, and sad.

It wasn't until she abruptly came to a halt that he knew something was wrong.

"Princess?"

Her ear moved as if she had heard him, but she didn't raise her head.

She didn't tumble to the ground until the second time he screamed out to her, louder and more urgent than the first.

The instinct to catch her kicked in. Careful with her head as she let out heavy breaths.

When his skin came into contact with her, he realized she was as cold as ice.

Her skin was sticky from the fever, and her skin was blue rather than pale.

Caldor lifted her up by slipping his arm under her thighs, taking care not to touch her too closely.

Her body relaxed on his almost instantly, as if she was too weak to object.

He returned her to the Training camp, using his wings as a blanket to keep her from getting any more soaked.

Caldor was wary of awakening his comrades. He clearly knew what the rest of the City would say as they speculated on why their High Princess was out late at night, soaked and half-naked.

He broke into his Commander tent, not caring as a silent alarm went off. Letting his Commander, The Spymaster, and his High Lord and Lady know that someone broke in.

He slid his High Princess into one of the chairs, gently adjusting her to make her more comfortable.

The lanterns suddenly lit up. The room was then invaded by shadows. They snaked their way to his High Princess until she was completely consumed in them.

Caldor collapsed to his knees, his head throbbing with pain.

When he looked up, expecting his Commander or High Lord to be above him, when he was greeted by the devils' gaze. With them, they carried a scent of blood.

A monster.

They gave Katherina a long look before settling on him, their eyes now gleaming, promising him a slow and horrible death.

"I'm going to kill you."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 388 26
A Killer. A Nobody. That's who she is; these are the things she knows about herself- or at least, what had been drilled into her since she can rememb...
31.1K 630 14
|| Highest ranking: #9 in protection βš”οΈ #1 in A Court Of Thorns and Roses🌹 #7 in Sarah J Maas πŸ§πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ || "What?" Rhys asked, frowning at Mor. She s...
159K 5.9K 77
Born into the cut-throat Autumn Court, Eris Vanserra had been surrounded by monsters his entire life and spent most of his time scheming for the crow...
663K 25.9K 75
TW: this book will deal with triggering topics. If you are easily triggered this is not the story for you, thanks. (Book one in the Starlight series...