Sorrow & Mercy: a Great Ace A...

By baroksfacescar

[Contains major spoilers for the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles / Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1&2] Our tale begins 10... More

Folds of Scarlet
Windborne-Blossom
A Curtain of Mist
Faces Familiar and Strange
Matters of Blood
Strange Pity
The Shapes of Things
Kindness
A Change of Circumstance
Truth and Misconception
The Heart of Things
Winter's Sudden Entrance
Warmth
A Curtain of Scarlet
Soothing Conviction
Ventured Descent
Strange Shadows
That Black Shape
Lingering
Violent Grief
To the Heart
Bleak Shores
An Entire Separation
PART II: Years of Ink
Oceanborne-Blossom
A Curtain of Sorrow
The Terror He Inspired
Judgements
Momentary Respite
Swift Departure
Sombre Indignation
Persistence
Those Who Return
Spasm of Agony
Wound
Death-White
The Breath Before
A Curtain of Truth
Separate Paths
Inexpressible Sorrow
Promises
Twisting
Reunited Blood
Slow Throb of an Old Wound
Mercy
Our Final Resolve

In No Harsh Voice

26 2 0
By baroksfacescar

Winter unthawed, releasing its biting grip on London. Susato spent many of her days either doting on Lady Baskerville or venturing to the university, visiting with Albert Harebrayne between his classes as he prepared to move to Germany, and helping Barok study in the library. A few times, she brushed past Yujin. He still refused to greet her, but sometimes he did return her bows.

Klint continued to act rather strangely, which the family attributed both to his role as lead investigator of Lord Stapleton's death and his concerns over Lady Baskerville's pregnancy. He was quieter than before and laughed far less. His smiles seemed forced, rarely meeting his eyes, and sometimes he darted a glance that looked anxious, peering towards the windows, staring fretfully into passing faces. A tremble was often in his hand when discussing weightier topics, and he tended to hunt more than usual, disappearing alone into the forest with just his rifle and Balmung for company. Sometimes Barok went with him, but it was rare, considering Barok's ardent focus on completing his studies.

And then March arrived, warm and green and fragrant, promising much joy. White roses gleamed brightly in the garden, and Klint seemed entirely himself, smiling with warmth and excitement as they set out to celebrate Barok's graduation.

"I cannot believe we are celebrating with fish and chips," Lady Baskerville said with a laugh.

"After a great deal of heartfelt pleading, I gave into Gregson's fervent request. On the condition that we have cake afterwards," Barok said.

"Naturally, we must pair the finest cake with the finest wine," Klint said.

"How 'bout some coffee?" Gregson said.

"No more suggestions from you, Inspector!" Lady Baskerville threatened, stabbing her finger towards him aggressively.

Gregson flinched and put his hands up in defense.

Susato laughed. She peered over at Genshin, who was smiling placidly and looked at great leisure. Susato was glad. He had seemed so tired recently.

"One last very British meal before I go to Germany. It had to be fish and chips!" Albert said brightly.

"See? Someone gets it," Gregson said.

"Alas, it is too late to change our course," Genshin pronounced gravely.

It was true. They were already seated at a table in the diner that Gregson most loved.

"Stop sayin' that like it's regrettable, you hear!" Gregson said. "These men here worked hard. And you know what that means? Well? What does a hard-working man need more than anything?"

"Heightened blood pressure from too much sodium!" Susato said, lifting a finger.

Barok chuckled.

"No! Fish n' chips!" Gregson shouted. "It's good for the soul and the body!"

Klint lifted his eyebrows. "Watch your zeal, Gregson. Someone may think you a cultist."

"Miss Susato! I am so very, very impressed!" Albert said. "You learned some scientific humour! You are truly, truly an excellent woman!"

"There is nothing humorous about heart failure, Mr. Harebrayne," Susato said with a sharp stare and great intensity.

Albert flinched in his chair. "N-No! No, of course not! You really would make a great lab assistant. Always knowing the right boundaries. And you're so sensible, too! Are you certain you don't want to come with me to Germany? Think of all the trouble I could avoid! Probably. Well...statistically...Hmmm. Maybe not..."

"I'm afraid...that I have no interest in laboratory work whatsoever!" Susato said.

"The one flaw in her beautiful mind," Albert sighed.

"A bit harsh there, Gentlewoman Mikotoba," Gregson said.

"Oh, Susato is always so terribly honest. It's one of the many things that will make her such a good sister," Lady Baskerville said.

Barok choked.

"Now, now, brother. Marriage is not that frightening of a prospect, surely?" Klint said, slapping Barok on the back.

Genshin frowned, a furrow appearing between his brows. He stared at Susato questioningly.

"So you two are engaged!?" Albert said.

"No! Not at all! Lady Baskerville is merely jesting. Absolutely baselessly," Susato said, voice creeping into a nervous octave. She touched her cheek and felt her skin was hot.

"That's too bad. Wouldn't mind havin' you around as a permanent addition," Gregson said.

"Susato will return home eventually. As will I. I will not go forever without seeing my son again," Genshin said firmly.

"Yes," Susato said. "I promised to return home and I have every intention of keeping that promise."

"Speaking of departures! You both will see me off when I take the boat in the morning, won't you?" Albert said.

"Of course, Albert," Barok said.

"Yes, of course," Susato said with a nod. A subdued feeling had begun to afflict her. One she was desperate to purge, so she could enjoy this pleasant evening with her dear friends.

"Well, I'm sure you'll do great in Germany. Everybody's gonna know your name real quick," Gregson said, taking a huge bite of his fish and chips.

"Oh! Have you read some of my student papers?" Albert said, face aglow with excitement.

"Of course not. I meant with that hair of yours, you're sure to get noticed by everyone real fast like," Gregson said.

Albert let out a long sigh. "I can't understand why the general public lacks so much interest in the sciences. They're just so fascinating!"

"As a descendant of a samurai clan, there are a few categories of science that I find worthy of note: the medical sciences and those of fighting. Although, I would claim both a strict art, requiring patience, skill, and resolve," Genshin said with a stoic and gallant air, befitting of the katana at his side.

"Miss Mikotoba is not alone in her painfully straightforward manner, is she?" Klint said.

"I think the sciences are quite fascinating," Lady Baskerville said.

"Lady Baskerville!" Albert said brightly, hope filling his face.

"...to the scientists in Germany," she continued.

Albert slumped.

"Pray forgive the discourtesy if my friends and family see little value in your chosen path, Albert," Barok said. "Regardless of what anyone at this table may think, you have worked hard and have earned your place in such a highly-regarded laboratory. I am certain you will illuminate the scientific community with your insights."

"Barok," Albert said, clearly touched by his kind sentiment.

"You will do wonderfully!" Susato said.

"We were merely jesting, dear," Lady Baskerville said.

Albert rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, but his grin was positively glowing.

***

After their rousing meal, everyone returned to the van Zieks manor for a very decadent cake and either fine wine, tea steeped from expensive leaves, or coffee. With much conversation and laughter, the hours flew by quickly and jubilantly. Albert had to leave early, considering his morning departure, and both Klint and Genshin had engagements the following day as well, but no one seemed eager to leave.

Susato slipped away as the laughter continued, venturing to the kitchen to prepare more tea. She was just removing the pot from its place over the flames when she heard footsteps. Susato turned. Barok had entered the kitchen and was poised over the final piece of cake.

"Miss Susato."

"Yes, Lord van Zieks?"

"I noticed you took very little of the cake, despite your deep devotion to such delicious baked goods," he said.

Susato smiled and wandered towards him. "Oh, well, it was a very impressive cake! But I wanted to be sure there was enough for everyone."

"Then I wish for you to have this final piece."

"I could not accept, Lord van Zieks. The cake was intended for you, so you must be the one to finish it!" Susato said intensely.

"You would place such a great burden upon me, with no intention of lending me your fastidious aid? I will scarce survive this grim ordeal," he said.

"Lord van Zieks. It is cake. Surely someone your size could handle a piece of that magnitude."

He stared at her. Her face reddened.

"I—I mean, you are very tall. And...I am...not."

"Miss Susato. I am asking if you would do me the honour of helping me finish this delicious cake," Barok said with great severity.

Susato nodded. Barok leaned over the cake and allowed his arm to rest against hers as he took a forkful, then pushed the plate towards her. Susato tentatively swept her own fork through the cake and quickly shoved the plate back towards Barok.

"Pray forgive the discourtesy if I dispense with decorum temporarily to remark...that you have taken exceedingly small portions of cake."

"I am a gentlewoman of some refinement, may I remind the Lord van Zieks," Susato said with as imperious of a tone as she could muster.

"I committed a most grievous blunder. Never again shall I comment on the gentlewoman's tenaciously tiny morsels."

"I thank you," Susato said stiffly, then broke out smiling and found herself leaning further against his side.

"The day after tomorrow, I will begin working at the prosecutor's office," Barok said.

"You must be so thrilled."

"I am. This has been a dream of mine for many years. Watching Klint work to reform the land, accelerating in the ranks as he fought hard and with great attention to ensure justice and to maintain the sanctity of the law. Seeing him create these programs that have allowed our foreign friends to study in Britain..."
"Klint created that program?" Susato gasped.

Barok nodded. "Yes. He has done more for this land than one such as myself ever could. There is no greater prosecutor in all of Great Britain. Perhaps in all of Europe."

Susato smiled at him softly as they continued to shift the plate back and forth, each taking small portions, as if to prolong the moment.

"You admire him so much," she said. "What an honour it would be, to earn your unfailing adoration."

"It is deserved," Barok said. "He studied so avidly and worked tirelessly, all while helping to raise me after our parents passed away. There is no more noble-hearted man than my brother."

"Yes. He truly is a great man," Susato said. "It is a blessing to know so many wonderful men."

"Genshin is truly chivalrous. His bravery and sincerity are without reproach," Barok said.

"I am glad you regard him so highly. He has been a great guide and...even if my father was never there...at least I know what it feels like. To have a protector who cares for me," Susato said slowly, her voice growing hushed.

She stared at the plate, stabbed at the diminishing piece of cake absently, while Barok's deep and compassionate stare rested upon her.

Susato quickly shook off the grim feelings before they could take hold. "And there is Kazuma-sama too, of course! He truly is like a brother to me. He has helped me learn everything I know. And he is also very protective of me. I admire him greatly."

"And I admire you," Barok said softly.

The fork slipped from Susato's fingers. She looked up at Barok, startled. He was smiling at her so gently, his side pressed so closely to her own. She could feel his warmth, the strength of his arm, and the tenderness of his gaze. Her breath fluttered in her throat.

"I...I admire you as well," she said.

"You came all this way, entirely on your own, chasing after a wish. You are truly remarkable. Even if your father is too blinded by his grief to see you for who you really are...Miss Susato, I know you will accomplish much. You already have."

"Oh, no. I have done very little. I worry I am a burden to everyone here. I rest far too much on your good graces."

"No. You have brought a great gift into our lives. Your kindness. Your sincerity. Your strength. Your intelligence. There is no woman in this world who is your equal."

Their eyes caught. Susato was drowning in the warmth of his stare, a brilliant fire blazing softly in her heart. Once again, she found herself vainly wishing she could stay. But she could not, even if she felt the desire so keenly when he held her with his gaze.

"Susato? Did you drink that entire pot of tea without me?" Lady Baskerville said, appearing in the kitchen.

Barok and Susato leaned away from each other. Susato stared down at the plate of mostly-consumed cake, pushing the fork around with a slightly tremulous hand.

"Forgive me. It seems I have waylaid Miss Susato quite wretchedly," Barok said.

"Is this true, my dear Susato?" Lady Baskerville said with a grin.

"Oh, I...— Oh, no! The tea! It's probably miserably cold now," Susato gasped.

"Do not worry, dear! We Londoners quite enjoy a spot of cold tea every now and then," Lady Baskerville said.

Susato, horribly flustered, followed Lady Baskerville back to the drawing room, ready to serve the humiliatingly cold tea.

***

The sun was only beginning to rise as Albert Harebrayne prepared to board the vessel that would carry him to Germany. He had rambled—quick and excited and a bit sorrowful—to Barok the moment they arrived. And, much to Susato's surprise, Albert had hugged her swiftly before rushing up the gangplank. His family was there as well. Susato smiled over at them, a wistful feeling in her heart.

"Come visit me some time!" Albert shouted.

"Until then, my friend," Barok called back.

"Oh! I meant Miss Susato!" Albert said.

Susato laughed. "I think Lord van Zieks will have to visit on my behalf," she shouted.

"You both should visit!" Albert said and waved.

Barok and Susato waved then stood in silence, watching the boat push away from the dock. The sun was a round flame, rising slowly, spilling golden light across the water, gilding the boat. Smouldering pastels began to bleed into the sky. Susato watched, a sad smile on her lips.

"One day, I will stand here again. Watching your vessel leave," Barok said quietly.

Susato's heart clutched. Tears shivered in her eyes, but she held them back. Even when she felt Barok's fingers touch hers. And, for just a fleeting moment, they allowed themselves to hold to one another. Barok's fingers around hers were strong and warm and reassuring. Susato's heart leapt into her throat. She let out a long, shaking breath, wishing she could move closer to his side.

They watched the horizon for a moment longer, the smoking flint of the sun striking the sky further alight, golden and deep. Barok's hand suddenly broke away from hers, and then he was looking down at her, smiling sadly, the sun igniting the colour of his eyes.

"Miss Susato. Would you care to take a stroll before we return?"

She nodded, breathless. And took his arm as he offered it.

They walked along the docks, listening to the cries of gulls and other seabirds, the lulling murmur of the ocean, the sound of their footsteps. It was like being the only two people in a world suspended in gold. A fierce ache lodged itself in Susato's heart. If only they could walk like this every day.

"How long?" Barok said suddenly.

Susato tripped a bit over her feet as he stopped. She turned her head. He was staring down at her, his countenance solemn.

"I don't know," Susato admitted. "I will return whenever Genshin-sama feels it best we go home, and I do need to speak with my father more. Perhaps I can convince him to visit, at least. Obaachan wishes to see him. I know she does." She blew out a long breath and averted her face. "I promise to stay at least until the baby is born. I want to meet your niece or nephew so desperately. And I doubt Lady Baskerville would ever forgive me if I left before then." She tried to force her voice to sound light and unaffected, but it wavered terribly.

"...I do not know what to say," Barok said. "It will be hard to watch you go."

"It will be hard to leave," Susato said below her breath.

"...Forgive me. I should not say what I am thinking."

Susato looked up at him questioningly. There was something very deliberate about the set of Barok's features, which was at odds with the sudden fragility in his eyes. He peered over at her quickly, his posture tense, his eyes growing strangely guarded as she met his stare.

"Perhaps we should depart. It would not do to miss the train," he said.

Susato nodded, threading both her arms through his as a cool breeze pushed over them. She watched the sunrise, the colours blending together.

***

On the train ride home, Barok was unusually quiet. Susato didn't really feel like talking much either. She knew Barok would miss Albert. She would miss his cheerful, eccentric presence as well. But that was not the only source of the sombre mood blanketing them both. Susato did not want to let the future ruin the present, but it was hard to speak past the tightness in her throat.

The train clacked and chugged along the tracks. Drowsiness encased Susato as she felt the train's constant rumbling and juddering, heard the piercing whistle every now and again.

"I start work at the Prosecutor's office tomorrow," Barok said, his voice a soft bead of sound, barely rolling through the thick noise of the train.

"Yes. I am so happy for you," Susato said, voice slow.

"I may be unable to spend much time in your company from now on," he said.

"Then we have to make the most of today, don't we?" Susato said, smiling to herself. She lowered her head. The train gave a shake and her head shot back up.

"How do you suggest we spend the day, Miss Susato?" Barok said.

"That book. Lady Baskerville and I...like it...so much...." Susato said, fighting to stay awake, the light from the window shivering through her eyelids.

And then she woke suddenly. The motion of the train ceased, the constant noise disappearing beneath a long, sharp whistle and the sound of people moving about the cabin. She felt something beneath her cheek and realised she had slumped over. Her head was resting on Barok's arm.

"Sorry!" she said, straightening in her seat.

Barok was looking out the window. She caught his reflection on the glass. He still looked so dejected.

"Let us go home," he said quietly.

And they disembarked without another word.

***

Once they had returned to the manor, Barok and Susato sat in the drawing room with tea and a tiered tray of sandwiches, scones, and little cakes. Lady Baskerville was there as well, lazing in an armchair. Her hand rested on Klint's arm, for he had drawn up a chair beside hers. He gently stroked her hand. Occasionally, he reached over, running his fingers over her rounding stomach, until Lady Baskerville would catch his hand in hers and kiss it.

Susato was on the settee, watching Barok intently. She loved to look at his face while he read. The emotion that filled his eyes and steady, deep voice always warmed her heart.

This particular scene was very gripping. A furrow crinkled Barok's brow, but he pressed on with eagerness.

"'After a silence of several minutes, he came towards her in an agitated manner, and thus began: "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed,'" Barok read. Then he hesitated for a second before he continued, his voice wavering with emotion. "'You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."'

He looked up then. Susato's breath snagged in her throat, her heart clutching almost to the point of pain. Barok was staring at her searchingly, longingly, with open sadness and adoration both. She was utterly immobilised by his gaze.

"Is something the matter, Barok? Is there a particularly difficult word? I do wish to know her response to this bold confession," Lady Baskerville said.

"I...Sorry. Pray forgive the discourtesy." Barok's stare slowly released Susato. He looked down at the book. Stilled. It was clear his mind was elsewhere, unable to focus. He looked at Susato again. She stared at him deeply, her heart pounding, confused, flustered.

"I think my brother is a bit too invested in this particular story," Klint said.

Barok visibly made an effort to shake off his daze. He lifted the book towards his face and scanned the page, trying to find his spot. As he continued reading in a slightly uneven voice, Susato could no longer pay attention to the words. Her chest was far too tight.

***

The next day, Barok van Zieks began his work at the Prosecutor's office. Entrusted with the weighty task of guarding Lady Baskerville's field camera, Susato accompanied Barok and Klint as they rode the carriage to work.

Outside the front doors, they were greeted by Genshin and Gregson. Susato eagerly passed Genshin the camera. The kindly Lord Chief justice appeared. He handed something to Klint before bowing and excusing himself.

"I wanted to have the honour of bestowing this upon you personally. Prosecutor Barok van Zieks," Klint said.

Barok nodded, looking so professional and so serious.

And then Klint placed a golden pin onto the cravat at Barok's throat, and Gregson handed Barok his judiciary-issued revolver.

"Lady Baskerville wants a picture," Susato said as everyone congratulated Barok. "You must all smile your brightest!"

Klint and Gregson flanked Barok, overjoyed.

"How quickly do you think Barok will lose the revolver? I wager it will be consumed by the sands of Arabia by tomorrow afternoon," Klint said.

Gregson laughed. Barok's brow furrowed, even as he smiled widely. Klint placed his hand on Barok's shoulder and smiled.

Susato watched them, full of a joy so strong it made her eyes burn.

Barok could not stop smiling, even after Genshin lowered the camera, a radiant smile that Susato found painfully adorable. She could not turn her gaze away from his face. Barok just looked so unrestrainedly, unabashedly happy.

Emotion welled up inside of her, overwhelming, undeniable. For the first time, she finally realised exactly how she felt. It was not mere fondness, it was not just tenderness, it was not simply a deep affection. It was something far greater. Seeing that smile on his face, Susato finally knew.

"I love you," she whispered. No one was near enough to hear it, and she was glad. Glad for this moment to quietly speak her heart to herself, and to accept it wholly, unreservedly.

And as she watched him, the words repeated themselves in her mind, strong and true and uncompromising.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134 3 1
[Contains major spoilers for The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles/ dgs 1&2] Barok van Zieks travels to Japan with Iris, Sholmes, Kazuma, and Gina. But...
166K 2.2K 16
Izuku Yagi lived a happy life with his parents his Step-father Toshinori Yagi aka All Might, his half-sister Izumi Yagi and his mother Inko Yagi. Whe...
69.2K 3.2K 67
Kakashi wakes up in the high-security wing of Konoha's hospital. He seems to have been severely wounded, his chakra is almost depleted and... he has...
9.1K 445 31
Itachi × Reader × Kakashi After the death of Sakumo Hatake, Y/n Ikari was thrown away from the village in accusations of killing him. Even after the...