Brake My Bones โœ“

By amaraxwrites

[complete] #2 "This isn't amusing. You're smiling, and your face is all bruised and bleeding. Is that not put... More

Brake My Bones
00 | Prologue
01 | Head Strike
02 | What You Deserve
03 | Sixth Sense
05 | Not Good With Touch
06 | Street Race
07 | Just Watch
08 | Free Falling
09 | Hook and Jab
10 | Frozen in Time
11 | Dรฉjร  vu
12 | Raining Stars
13 | Maybe Someday
14 | Sick to the Stomach
15 | In Your Head
16 | Not Like This
17 | Bruises and Bandages
18 | See You Soon
19 | Light My Love
20 | Hypnotised
21 | Sunflowers and Baby's Breath
22 | You Promised
22.5 | Don't Let Go
23 | Holding Onto You
24 | Safe
25 | Not Your Fault
26 | Epilogue
The Written Love Series

04 | Touchdown

237 10 2
By amaraxwrites

"and you were there to save me from the brewing cyclone."

e.k.

S E R E N I T Y

"Indigo, this is Serenity and Dawn," Adara pointed to us as she dragged the poor girl toward us. We waved at her, and she reluctantly waved back.

Her eyes were a steel blue, coated with long lashes, standing out against her dark locks of hair. She wore a dark blue sundress with a white cropped cardigan and black Doc Martens that matched with Dawn.

"Side note," Adara came closer to us, lowering her voice. "Steer clear of Chancey De Loughrey. He has an obsession with her."

Indigo opened her mouth to protest, but Adara cut her off with a look. She sighed and nodded her head in agreement.

"I think I scared him away last week. He asked for you, and I gave him hell for it," Dawn spoke with a small grin on her lips.

Indigo smiled at the sound of it. "Thanks."

The school bell rang, declaring the start of the next period. Adara and Indigo walked to math together, and Dawn leaned against the lockers, waiting for the next class in the same hallway. With a quick smile at her, I headed down a few corridors and spotted the locked door to my English class.

Since the teacher always ran late, I waited further away from the rest of the class waiting, picking at the lint of my beige sweater.

"Hey," My head shot up at the sound of Gabriel's voice.

Hoping he didn't see how my eyes widened at the sight of him, I smiled back at him. "Hi."

He wore his varsity jacket over a white shirt. It was game day, and he'd play right after this last period. The Bridge Hill Hawkes claimed the colours of green and blue, and the school decorated the halls and classrooms with those colours, especially on game days like this one.

It was quiet for a moment between us. I felt a little awkward after what happened last week at Adara's house.

"Are you feeling better this week?" His question caught me off guard, and I almost spilled the truth.

"Yeah, I think so," I lied, feeling my face heat up at the intensity of his eyes as he narrowed them slightly at me.

Gabriel nodded, and I was about to ask him the same, but he spoke up again before I got the chance.

"What's your favourite chocolate?" He tilted his head to the side, listening closely to my answer.

I smiled, taken aback by the random question, answering anyway. "White chocolate?"

His hazel eyes darted to the lockers behind me, appearing deep in thought before he stepped back, nodding to himself again.

"Stay right there," Holding a palm up, Gabriel pinned me down with his eyes.

"Mhm," I replied with a large grin growing on my lips. "Where else would I go?"

With only a light chuckle, Gabriel took off jogging down the hallway before taking a turn around the corner. He was gone for only a minute, and the teacher still hadn't shown up for the next class. Gabriel wasn't meant to be where I was. I was sure he had class at the other end of the school.

When he reappeared from the corner, Gabriel was walking. I saw the way his chest heaved and knew he had to have run to and from wherever he went to get back on time. Hands behind his back, under his schoolbag, he took his time to approach me, glancing at me as if the last two minutes didn't happen.

"What was that about?" I couldn't help how wide I grinned as he stood before me again.

"Hm, what was what?" Gabriel faked a clueless look before removing his hands behind his back and holding them up between us. "You mean when I went to get you some Cadbury chocolates? Like two minutes ago? Is that what you mean?"

I gaped at the Dream chocolate bars he held up to me.

"How- Where'd you manage to get that from?"

"The vending machine a few corridors away."

It was not a few corridors away. It was on the other end of the school.

My eyes darted up to him again, and I laughed at the effort. Without thinking much of it, I reached my arms around his torso and hugged him. He was so still that I instantly pulled back and gulped nervously when he didn't say anything.

"I'm sorry. That was very forward and... yeah. I'm sorry. But thank you for the chocolates."

He was holding them up, and I just stared at them, not sure if my hug made him mad. Gabriel's shoulders straightened before he spoke up. "Don't worry about it. It's okay."

I knew it wasn't. His strained voice made me believe he hated hugs. I didn't want to hug him ever again if he didn't like it.

"Here," Gabriel's hand reached out, and the bars almost slipped from his hands, so I caught them.

"Thank you," I looked up at him. His eyes were quick to meet mine.

He merely stared at me for another moment, and I became nervous. Seeing Gabriel so still was more nerve-wracking than seeing him tremble.

"I'll see you around," Gabriel murmured before turning away, holding the strap of his bag and walking to his next class.

He said he'd see me around, so I guessed he wanted us to talk again. That was a good sign because I yearned to do the same.

⭐︎

My brother, Arlo, wasn't going to be home after school. That meant I had no protection against my mother in case she wanted to talk to me again. He was going to stay at a friend's house. Arlo was doing that quite often, and I knew he wouldn't stay home forever because he was fifteen and beginning to have a life. It was oddly disturbing that I relied on him so much at home when all I had to do was stand up for myself.

But I took the easy way out and decided to stay with Adara. She was staying at the football game, and I couldn't say no because Dawn was working after school and couldn't stay with her. Also, I wanted to watch Gabriel play.

I didn't know much about the NFL. I only knew what a touchdown was and who the quarterbacks were. Other than that, I was also certain that University scouts from around the state were starting to roll in and look for star players. Graduation was months away. This game was important to every player on our team and the opposing team if they wanted to land an athletic scholarship.

"Here's a good spot, right?" Adara asked as we moved to take a seat at the bleachers.

"Mhm," I nodded and took a spot beside her.

We were a few rows away from the front. The field stretched out largely across the land in front of me, and it made me feel small. I wondered how great it made the players feel. The cluster of energetic people must've always given them adrenaline rushes. It even gave me one as I tucked my hands below my thighs and sat up straighter, watching the lights that outlined the field begin to brighten the grass.

"This is a big game for Gabby," Adara told me excitedly. "The University of Bridgewood is coming tonight, and he's wanted to go there since he first started playing."

I smiled widely, knowing he'd do great. Anything he did was amazing.

"Look," She pointed to a small opening in between the bleachers a few columns away from us. "They're starting."

The crowd around us erupted into cheers when the first player jogged out. In a line, not too far behind each other, the other players of Bridge Hill Hawkes ran out onto the field, commencing the game.

Through the speakers spread out around the field, a guest commentator announced the presence of University scouts. I could see how some of the players riveted in their spot. Others jogged on the spot, preparing themselves for the game ahead, as the opposing team jogged out from the opposite end.

Adara murmured a few quiet words from beside me, and I knew she was saying a quick prayer for Gabriel.

His jersey, blue and green, read 'Farah' on top of the number 33. He was a cornerback, one of the most aggressive positions in the game. They had to be smooth enough to turn past the receivers of the opposite team and tough enough to tackle and intercept.

Even beneath his jersey, Gabriel was sporting a jet black long sleeve shirt. The body pads around his upper body looked securely wrapped around his figure, and when he strapped the helmet on tight on his head, I watched him heave a few deep breaths.

Adara clapped a few times when Gabriel turned to face the crowd. I watched his eyes scan the bleachers, never fully catching the sight of us because the players were already taking their positions on the painted grass.

"Ah, here we go!" Adara patted my thighs and smiled so brightly, I couldn't help but mirror her energy.

If this was how enthusiastic football games were, I wanted to watch more of them. Especially more of Gabriel. I sounded like a stalker, but it was okay. No one was going to know the real reason why I sat at the bleachers and pretended I knew what play was being formed.

My eyes followed the jersey 33, noticing when Gabriel glanced up at the sky and moved his mouth, speaking, before catching up to the rest of the players.

Adara gasped beside me, and I turned to see her in awe.

"What?" I asked curiously.

"He hasn't done that in months," She murmured, and I saw her eyes water a little.

"What did he do?"

"He prayed," She laughed as if it was the most shell-shocking thing he'd ever done.

"Is that a good thing or?" I replied, a little confused.

"Look," She pointed to him, and I watched. "He looks more ready than ever, so I guess so."

Adara was right. The way Gabriel rested his hands on his knees as he crouched made him look ready to tackle Goliath if he had to. It was a sight that could've inspired little children watching the game in the bleachers in front of us. They were relatives of the players on the field, and I hoped at least one of them saw Gabriel. He appeared to be so in tune with the game before it even started.

It was almost halftime when Gabriel caught the football for the third time in the game, and the seats around me stiffened, waiting for a touchdown. The past two times, he almost made it, but the opposing team tackled him to the ground. This time, he was sprinting past the players, turning his hips smoothly when necessary, gripping the ball to his chest. It was mesmerising watching him play.

Then my heart stammered faster in my chest when a buff player from Olive Ledge Dolphins came charging at Gabriel. It seemed like he came from nowhere as he ran low and shot Gabriel to the ground. They were in front of the bleachers we were seated on, and it made sense that I felt it in my nerves when the sound of them thudding onto the floor resounded.

Adara winced and stood up, waiting with worry etched onto her round face. The crowd grimaced, and I sat still, hoping Gabriel wasn't seriously injured as the Dolphins player removed himself from on top of Gabriel.

"Is he alright?" I heard someone speak from behind me.

"That was a violent hit," another said.

Their words only made Adara look more worried.

"Hey, come here," I took her hand and walked us out of our rows.

Down the steps between the bleachers, I led us to the area right before the field. Gabriel was still on the ground, and the player that tackled him crouched down, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You good, man?" He asked, reaching another hand to Gabriel's. "Good play."

Gabriel's chest rose and fell rapidly as he grabbed the player's hand and got up.

"Good tackle," He replied breathlessly.

Adara sighed heavily beside me, sounding relieved. I did the same, glad to see Gabriel standing back up again.

The Dolphins player jogged away, backing into the game.

"Gabby, are you fine?" Adara yelled loud enough for him to hear.

He turned his head around, adjusting the helmet covering his face. I could make out a small smile when he saw her.

"All good," He called out with a thumbs up, he stepped away, then stopped when his eyes met mine.

Gabriel almost double took the sight of me, and I just stared. The distance between us was long enough to make him squint a little. His eyebrows drew together, and he lifted his hand in a hesitant wave. I smiled because it seemed like he was deciding if I was there or not. I waved back, watching his head reel in surprise.

Ignoring Adara looking back and forth between us, Gabriel nodded as if he got that I was there and smiled so big, his pearly teeth made an appearance. A minute later, he was back to playing.

Adara led us back to our seats, and I hoped the heat on my face cooled down before she could see it, but it never left.

In the second half of the game, Gabriel kept glancing our way. He made passes that led to two touchdowns, and before the end of the game, he made one himself.

A burst of pride bloomed in my heart, and I kept my eyes out on the group of men and women at the front, writing a few notes and discussing to each other every time Gabriel played. Adara did the same, and I knew she was proud of him, too.

My heart continued to swell, even when the game ended, and Gabriel sent one more look our way before jogging back to where he came out from the field.

I was definitely going to more games if it got him to look and smile at me the way he did then.

"Fine, you have the right to brag after that game," Adara told Gabriel when we were in the parking lot.

He'd showered, evident by his damp hair, and changed into something more comfortable. A grey sweatshirt clung to him, hugging the muscles I was sure were aching, and black shorts. Gabriel held his gym bag with one hand and, in his other, carried a few documents I assumed were from the universities that talked with him.

"Yes, because I brag after every game," He murmured sarcastically, walking between Adara and me to her car.

"Maybe you don't, but you practically carried the game tonight. Harrison caught the ball twice, from you, and made two touchdowns. You even got one yourself," Adara nudged his shoulder lightly, and he inhaled deeply, the tips of his ears turning a deep rose of red.

"Thank you," He said shyly.

"Uh-huh," Adara leaned her head forward to look at me. "Even Serenity, who doesn't even understand how the NFL works, was impressed."

My eyes widened as Gabriel turned to face me. I smiled at him, not trusting myself to talk.

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows. "You should come to my other games and see that this game was just a fluke."

"I don't think that's true. You- I thought you played like a natural." I cursed myself for fumbling over my words.

"Only because you were there," Adara remarked quietly, covering her words with a cough.

Gabriel rolled his eyes at her and bowed his head down a little. I didn't miss how his cheeks were reddening. He was shy, and it only made me like him more.

"But thank you, anyway," He muttered, not looking at me. "For being at my game."

"It wasn't for you, you dope," Adara laughed. "She didn't have much of a choice."

I opened my mouth to speak or come up with an excuse of some kind because his eyes looked speculating when he glanced at me again.

"Yeah? It was either this or what?" Gabriel asked, tilting his head to the side.

He did that a lot, and I guessed it was a habit when he was curious.

"Or stay at home," I rushed out. "Which isn't necessarily a bad thing-"

"Liar," Adara whispered.

"But my brother wasn't home tonight, so it would've been boring," I narrowed my eyes at Adara's head when she wasn't looking, ignoring the heat of Gabriel's stare as I spoke.

"Gabriel gets that," Adara spoke, devoid of any humour, walking like she didn't have a care in the world as she scanned the parking lot for her car. "He's never at home either."

Gabriel cleared his throat and faced forward. I wanted to ask why not, because if it was for the same reason as me, I'd figure out a way to help us both out, but it was none of my business.

"Yes, I am. I'm always at home. You know, the other day, I was there for, like, two hours straight," He held a palm out like he was proving a point.

I smiled at his attempt to make a joke, but when Adara's face remained stoic, my smile faded.

"Sorry to disappoint," Gabriel nudged her shoulder, trying to get her to smile. She wouldn't budge.

"So, where am I dropping you off? Party at Harrison's?" Adara questioned, taking a small step away from Gabriel. She looked pissed off, and I suddenly felt awkward.

"Nico's house. I'm celebrating there," He must've caught onto the fact that his cousin was mad because he looked forward again and stayed quiet until we finally saw Adara's car. "Serenity, do you want to be there too?"

My breathing almost stopped. I didn't know Nicandro or any other of Gabriel's friends. It would be awkward if I went. I didn't even know Gabriel well enough to hold a confident conversation.

I walked to Adara's car and perked my head up. Hazel eyes were already watching me, waiting for a response. "Uh, maybe next time."

Gabriel blinked before nodding and slanting his head down. For a moment, he looked disappointed with my answer, and it made my chest hurt. He wouldn't be so upset if I had a little more confidence. I didn't want to risk making a fool of myself in front of strangers, and Adara would be going home. She wouldn't be there to save me.

"But, here," I reached for the pocket of my jacket, where two bars of the chocolate he gave me were. "Congratulations on the win, and for getting the attention of so many University scouts."

My hand stretched out, filling the space between us. His eyes hooked onto the bar in my hand, held out to him, and he furrowed his eyebrows.

"They're for you," He shook his head and darted his eyes to me. "Thanks, though."

"Please have one," I chuckled, feeling like I wanted a hole to swallow me up. "I still have the other one."

Gabriel stared at me for a moment, making my heart race so fast I thought it would burst. The corner of his lips lifted into a tiny smile. Drifting my eyes downward, I realised his hands were full. I walked closer to him, and glanced up, holding my breath at the proximity of us.

"I'm going to put it in your gym bag. Is that fine?" I asked breathlessly, watching as his face went blank.

He nodded once, and I didn't hesitate to open the front zipper and place the chocolate bar into the bag before closing it shut. My arm brushed against his, and I felt us both stiffen momentarily before I pulled back.

I was going to pass out. Twice I've touched Gabriel, and twice he looked so pale, I thought he might pass out too. Glancing up at his eyes was worse. He just looked at me. I couldn't make out a sign of any expression.

"Come on, slowpokes," Adara called out from the driver's seat.

"I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," I muttered, shifting my gaze to the car door beside me.

When he didn't say anything, I breathed deeply before opening the door and moving to take a seat. My eyes met his again. He was frozen in his spot for a second longer before he completely ignored my presence and got into the car as if nothing happened.

My heart dropped. I blinked back the sting in my eyes and held back the feeling that I'd done something wrong.

I would never go to another football game if it ended like that.

_____________

a/n: I hope my NFL research is correct bc I am Australian and have no idea how it works

have a great day/ night <3

ad interim

[latin] for the meantime

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 25.3K 99
Lia I'm a sucker for romance, especially romance in novels because let's be honest, love like that doesn't exist in reality. Yet, he makes me feel a...
1M 60.7K 33
[COMPLETED] "We both agreed, Apollo! We said no feelings, no attachments! You promised you wouldn't get attached." I look down at my lap in worry and...
91 4 11
In 2078. Young 17 year old, Ren Wakaba is half wolf, and half human. The 'normal' people who are completely human, have segregated his kind for centu...
5.9K 97 26
Kendall has always lived a quiet life in a small town in Illinois with her family, friends, and boyfriend Jordan. Her life had been mostly happy othe...