My Darling Katherina

Od Sophie_BookQ

What if Amarantha was pregnant with Rhysand's daughter and he didn't know about it until years later? Will sh... Viac

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty- One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter Eighteen

2.3K 73 7
Od Sophie_BookQ

The smell of sweat and blood almost made Katherina gag.

She had asked Azriel to take her flying the night before, but when she went to look for him the next morning, Nesta informed her that Azriel had to attend to some business in the Court of Nightmares.

Instead, she had requested Cassian's help in getting her to the Illyrian training camps.

(She had asked Mor, Elain, Varian, and even Amren if she could spend time with them, but they were all too busy, leaving Cassian.)

Cassian wasn't someone she disliked. It was only that a sweaty, hostile male-dominated camp was the last place she wanted to be.

Katherina wore a jumpsuit. It was as black as night, exactly like the bird, but whenever the sun shone in precisely the right manner, it featured the dark blue, purple, or green tint that of a raven.

From the waist up, it hugged her body skin tight, while the bottom was loose and flowy. Her entire back was exposed, ending just above her hip.

Katherina wore simple rings on her hands. There is no design or glitz. It's just a silver ring.

She wore a crown that matched her rings on her head to indicate her rank in the Night Court family.

Katherina wore her hair in a way that, (Thanks to the crown) made it seem as though she had shoulder length hair.

The training camp was very busy at this time of year. A large number of new and young Illyrians would gather to train.

From what her father told her, before females were not allowed to train. Instead kept inside to clean, cook and take care of the children.

The High Lord, on the other hand, had made it possible for females to train alongside males.

"What are you thinking about, Princess." Cassian asked as they made it towards the center of the training camp.

Katherina sat down on one of the stools near the fighting ring.

"I was just curious as to why there is a female area and a male area?  Didn't my father say that females should train with males?"

"Some males still believe that females aren't born to fight, so they remain primarily to themselves."

Ah.

Then a smirk appeared on his face.

"Plus, some males find the females 'distracting,'" he added. He winked as he wrapped his hands around in bandages.

Katherina laughed, "I can believe that."

And so what is it that you do here, Mr. Commander Cassian," she teased.

"You're going to find out," He said. Cassian tugged his shirt off, revealing his stunning tattoos and muscular physique.

Wanting to see the action, Katherina walked with him towards the group of males that were lifting weights and such.

They formed a queue to meet Cassian as soon as they saw him. Standing still, they awaited whatever request their Commander demanded of them.

Katherina was struck by a sense of awe. She pondered how things were when Cassian was one of them. Soldier who is young, inexperienced, and untrained.

For the time being, he was a powerful and fearless Illyrian. Commander Cassian of the Night Courts Armies. It suited him perfectly.

Their strong demeanor shifted when they encountered Katherina. Katherina couldn't say she blamed them.

It would only be a few days until she was unveiled to the world as Princess of the Night Court.

However, because Velaris is being kept concealed, Katherina's father decided that she should begin wearing the crown to show the City of Starlight who she is.

Yet, just by the crown alone, that didn't stop Cassian from introducing her.

"As you all must be thinking," Cassian taunted. "Who is this magnificent, lovely female who wears a crown of the Night?"

She shot him a glare which he shrugged off.

"Her name is Katherina. Daughter of the High Lord, also now known as High Princess of the Night Court."

With that, many turned to her in surprise. However as soon as reality came to them, they quickly sank to their knees. Heads held down in show of subminment.

Only one Illyrian, however, remained standing.

He appeared to be around Katherina's age. Perhaps older.

He had dark brown hair, in which it could almost pass off as black. And his eyes were the color of honey. Or gold. Katherina couldn't tell. They were more narrow rather than spherical.

It made him look all the more dangerous.

His skin tanned and freckled. Jawbone sharp and defined.

Many males had taken their shirts off to train due to the heat. Providing Katherina with a full view of his structure. His skin was supple and muscular, much like the rest of him. However, he had a broken arrow tattoo on his left arm.

The male's gaze fell on her. He appeared to realize he was the last one left standing at that point and apologized sheepishly.

"My apologies, my Lady, I didn't mean to stare." he said, his voice deep and firm.

She clarified, "Princess."

His gaze met hers once more, his eyes clouded with confusion.

"What is your name?"

"Caldor, High Princess,"

Caldor. 

Something about him piqued Katherina's interest...

Just why did he feel so important?

"Enough flirting. Everyone return to your positions!" Cassian commanded.

Caldor then walked away, giving Katherina a small nod.

***

Katherina spent the remainder of the day studying and roaming around the base. After hearing Cassian's announcement, no male nor female dared to approach her unless she spoke or was in need of something.

They simply looked at her crown before bowing.

Katherina was well aware that they were curious as to who she was and what she had done to appear so quickly. Being exposed as their High Lord's daughter.

Which she understood why. They had never seen Amarantha. And so, they would not make a sudden conclusion.

They would, however, know in three days. Fear and hatred would take the place of wonderment in their eyes.

Outside, Katherina stood next to Cassian's tent.

As the frigid wind blew against Katherina, the sun beamed down on her, providing warmth.

She'd only been wearing the crown for a few hours and she was already exhausted.

She gazed at the mountains miles from her. From the way the sun glowed, it complimented the color of white, grey and brown the mountain bore.

If the sky had been darker, it would have resembled her Father's knee tattoo. The three mountain ranges

The sound of soft footsteps came from behind her. Katherina was unconcerned about the presence because she assumed it was Cassian.

Until a different voice spoke a few feet from her was when she turned.

"Are you all right, High Princess?"

Caldor kept a polite space between her. He lowered his head slightly to demonstrate that he was not a threat. Everything about him screamed soldier to her. A warrior.

His tattoo, on the other hand, caught her off guard. She had heard that if someone made a deal in the Night Court, a tattoo would appear on their skin, marking them in the show of the deal. 

She was curious as to what he had agreed to and with whom he had made the deal with. 

Or perhaps she was always overthinking things. It's possible that he simply liked the design and wanted to wear it.

"Interesting tattoo."

He lowered his gaze to his forearm.

"Thank you, High Princess,"

He didn't say anything further after that. That's why she felt compelled to ask.

"Why did you get it? Or is it a bargain?"

His narrow eyes flicked next to her.

She motioned her hand to the spot next to her.

"An Arrow symbolizes strength in one's life," he explained. "It means that no matter how small the weapon, you can still use it to protect the people you love."

"Your's is broken though." Katherina pointed out.

His golden honey eyes locked with hers. They were filled with sadness and longing.

"I couldn't protect someone."

Caldor then looked away from her, embarrassed.

"When they left, they took my strength with them.  It is for this reason that I wear the Arrow. To serve as a constant reminder that I must never be weak again."

He'd lost someone... Someone for whom he appears to have cared more than his own life.

Ziv...

Katherina stroked his bicep with her hand. Her expression was one of understanding.

She was aware of his pain. Yet, unlike her, he was brave enough to show it on his skin when she was afraid to even face the reality of hers...

Not wanting to push him, but more so to get to know him. Katherina shifted the conversation's focus.

"Do you have a nickname?"

***

They talked until the sun dropped behind the mountains and the stars began to appear.

They talked about trivial matters and, on rare occasions, more personal things. Every interest, hobby, or favorite food is shared. Arguing about whether orange went with purple.

It didn't.

"Yes!"

"Definitely."

"Right?"

"Of course,"

It was how they talked for the majority of the time. Caldor chuckled anytime she tried to disagree with him, and she laughed at every horrible joke he said.

When Cassian arrived to collect Katherina and return them to the House of Wind, she realized how late it had become.

"Just five minutes more," she said.

Before giving them their space, Cassian gave her a nod. She did, however, swear she saw a taunting grin on his face.

"It was a pleasure to talk with you, High princess," Caldor said. Gently lowering himself on a knee.

She lifted his chin.

"When it's just you and me, call me Katherina."

He stood back on his feet and towered over her.

She had a better understanding of Amren's feelings now.

Caldor took her hand in his and brought it up to his mouth. Kissing it gently.

"Until we meet again, Katherina." he whispered before spreading his bat-like wings and shooting himself into the sky. The more he flew away, the more the Night swallowed him up.

Cassian lifted Katherina up in his arms, flying them to the House of Wind.

"Are you sure you don't want to kiss him goodbye?" He teased.

Katherina whacked him in a playful manner.

She shifted her gaze behind Cassian's wings, reflecting on the new friend she had made.

Ziv would have liked him...

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

160K 5.9K 77
Born into the cut-throat Autumn Court, Eris Vanserra had been surrounded by monsters his entire life and spent most of his time scheming for the crow...
2.2K 51 17
˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .      . ✦     ˚     . ★⋆.   .     ˚     *     ✦   .  .   ✦ ˚      ˚ .˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .           The youngest Archeron daughter...
104K 2.3K 61
𝑨 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒃𝒂𝒔𝒆𝒅 𝒐𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑯𝒊𝒈𝒉 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅 𝑻𝒂𝒎𝒍𝒊𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒑𝒓𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝑪𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒕'𝒔 𝒅𝒂𝒖𝒈𝒉𝒕𝒆𝒓, 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑯𝒊𝒈𝒉 𝑳𝒐𝒓𝒅...
383K 10.2K 54
(#790 in fanfiction 2017-04-30) **I am including a spoiler warning for Empire of Storms and A Court of Mist and Fury. Both now have canon follow-ups...