Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

Av rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... Mer

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
21 ~ In Full Bloom
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

34 ~ Mercy Ship

1.5K 61 32
Av rocketeerin

1 year later - August 1915.

Evelyn's tongue poked through her chapped lips in intense concentration - flicking every once in a while as her shoulders would jerk to the left or the right providing her with a better angle. She shivered a bit as a result of the chilly August air wafting through the poorly lit hospital. Her hands were blood-stained, not severely but enough to notice the unnatural red hue. The tailoring to her nurse's uniform didn't last very long as she had lost a bit of weight while she was here - either from stress or neglecting to eat in the wake of all of her reading on human anatomy. Her cheeks sunk in ever so slightly; however, it wasn't that which made her look sick but rather it was the dark circles under her tired eyes. She wasn't sick - but a few did wonder.

Her shaky hand worked quickly and skillfully on the bandage, lifting the man's heavy leg in her hand as delicately as she could. Her body shifted from side to side to access the correct tucks and to assess her own work. Reaching the end of the bandage, she folded it in and gently stuffed it through the gap at the heel. 

When she was finished, she took and step back and laced her hands in from of her while her eyes left her work and focused on a small group of nurses at the foot of the hospital cot. An older nurse stood by Evelyn and tugged at the bandage in several places. The 1-minute inspection felt like an hour to Evelyn, but her anxieties were waived when the nurse nodded.

"Excellent, Evelyn. As usual."

She sighed. "Thank you."

"Why don't you go get some rest, hm? You've been up here all day and it's late."

Evelyn nodded. "Ok. Goodnight." She wasted no time leaving the room, rubbing her nose on her sleeve in a failed attempt to warm it. 

The head nurses watched the girl leave before speaking amongst themselves.

"She's going on the list as well?"

"Of course she is, she's one of the best we have."

"She has family in Europe...some of whom might end up on the Western Front which she'll be likely to see. My only concern is that she sees something awful."

"It's war...we're all going to see something awful."

--------

Evelyn's stomach rumbled furiously but she had already missed dinner so there was no point in dwelling on it. This hospital - Saint Ivan's - certainly did not compare to Saint Francis in Newport...especially the food. This hospital was much larger but lacked a warm hospitable atmosphere. Evelyn thought of it more like an asylum.

Five months into her training, Evelyn was one of twelve volunteer nurses chosen from Saint Francis to be moved to Saint Ivan's in Milford, Delaware. The few were chosen because they had already exceeded the lengths of their training and would be able to be called for transfer if the time came. The American Ambulance Service ship docked in the Delaware Bay, thus that is where many nurses and volunteers, or VAD (volunteer aid detachment), nurses were sent to further their training until called into duty. 

Martha was upset enough that Evelyn decided to dive headfirst into the war efforts - now she had spent several months away from her. The only phones in the hospital were reserved for staff, so the nurses and VADs had to go with the old-fashioned letters for now. President Wilson still held firm to his stance on American neutrality, which meant no foreign civilian letters or calls. Evelyn hadn't been able to hear from her family in over a year and it drove her mad. 

Despite the stress of the intense training, the drastic amount of learning material, the chaos of war looming over those who hadn't yet seen its effects, and the anxiety of not being able to speak to her family, Evelyn had developed a real passion for what she was doing and found fulfillment in helping people this way. The nurses still in America of course hadn't had to experience aiding a soldier yet, but they were tasked with numerous elderly people's infections, some gunshot wounds, a few children with broken bones - it wasn't invigorating, perse, but it was gratifying.

She realized how much she took the comforts of home for granted. Mrs. Patmore's potatoes, her warm bed, getting to play with Isis, having an entire library to choose from, going to the kitchen when she was bored. She had even forgotten her own birthday while here, realizing it three days later. She had always been bad about forgetting it. Little did she know, that the staff at Downton celebrated their dear Evie. Mrs. Patmore made a small cake as the staff sang happy birthday. Was it weird? Sure. But when she returned would they be able to tell her they still haven't missed a single year singing happy birthday to her since she arrived? Yes.

Evelyn was soon met with the brown paint-chipped door that was her room for the time. A few letters littered the base of it. Evelyn picked them up and looked through them, most of them having her bunkmate's name.

"Cynthia Ellis...Cynthia Ellis...Cynthia Ellis...Evelyn Levinson." Evelyn smiled finally seeing her name on two letters - one from Martha and the other from Samuel. 

Pushing through the door she dropped Cynthia's letters onto her bed and then sat on her own, removing her bonnet before ripping into the letters starting with Martha's:

_______________________________________________

My dear Evelyn,

This was my fourth attempt to send you a care package and they informed me I still can't! The audacity. Some bread, a few jars of strawberry preserves, and some socks have nearly caused a mini-war in Rhode Island. Ridiculous. Anyway, Harold has still had no luck contacting Downton...though I wouldn't worry. I know they're just fine except for the fact that you're not there. Though I can't imagine how they feel - I had you here for not even two months and I'm quite miserable I must say. Though, that might just be because Harold is a menace to my life. Reed has kept me sane, however. She's a sweet girl. She asked about you a few times. Mises Murphy also asked about you...terrible woman. Cusses like a sailor. And I know you said I only hated her because she beat my winning streak in rummy but I know she cheated so I have every right to reject that sinner. Anyway, I told her you were serving our country, unlike her son who is serving jail time.

Write back soon! I love you my dear (and favorite) granddaughter.

- Martha

_______________________________________________

Evelyn chuckled at her grandmother's rambunctious attitude. It was nice to hear from her as most of her letters put a much-needed smile on her face. She especially appreciated how her uncle Harold was still trying to get in communication with her family for her. She didn't expect any luck, however. Sighing, she moved on to Samuel's letter, expecting the same news on his efforts as Harold's.

_______________________________________________

Evelyn,

I've faired well in Houston but it would seem my City of London has called me back. They informed me I was too old to be considered for drafting, but my services would be useful to them on the Front - I'm leaving tomorrow. I asked if I would be allowed to bring a passenger back with me, but I was told they have specific charter criteria for now...I'm so sorry. I damn near begged but they wouldn't have it. I had no luck contacting your family here; however, I will see them when I return and I will give them all the letters you've sent me so they can be fairly caught up on your life. I'll work on communication while I'm there as well. This will be the last you hear of me for a while. Be careful out there. If you are sent to France, you will be able to send letters to Yorkshire - if you do make it there, don't forget to write me so I know you're safe. Thank you for your friendship during my time here, I am grateful.

Until I hear from you again, take care, Evie.

- Samuel. 

_______________________________________________

A tear ran down her cheek though she wasn't sure why: perhaps it was because he was living her greatest desire, maybe it was that he tried to grant her passage as well, or maybe because she worried about her dear friend being sent to the Front...maybe it was all at once.

Wiping her eyes, she pulled a small suitcase out from under her bed and placed the letter inside. She looked at her other small suitcase beside her, she didn't want to seem materialistic but she missed all of her dresses that hung in her room at her grandmother's. She was not allowed to bring much at all due to their small space and the fact that she wouldn't need anything but the necessities.

Rising to her feet, she stretched her arms over her head until she heard faint cracks, relieving her back of its tension. Lowering them, she untied her apron then moved to the buttons running down her back, ridding herself of the sweaty, stained dress for the day. Dropping them at the foot of the bed, she pulled on a cream-colored slip dress and quickly dove under the thin blanket to avoid the cold and warm her chilled toes. She had picked up the dress before she sat down, also grabbing a tiny sewing kit provided to them. She knew there was a small hole in her dress and once she eventually found it, she began to work on patching it up. 

The door swung open and a bonnet flew furiously through the air and onto the adjacent bed. Cynthia soon followed, steadily mumbling to herself. Evelyn laid down the dress and smiled, very used to Cynthia's dramatic behavior that she grew quite fond of.

"You seem upset?"

Cynthia whipped around, hands on her hips as her black-framed glasses sat halfway down her nose. Her dark curls escaped their place in her previously neat hairdo. Her caramel skin glistened with sweat from completing her clinical for the day, most likely. Cynthia was the same age as Evelyn but had the spunk of a 16-year-old. That spunk reminded her a lot of Sybil as well as her drive, outspokenness, and kind eyes. It was comforting to have another Sybil around.

 "Yes! I'm upset!"

Evelyn raised a brow and patted her bed. Cynthia promptly sat down and huffed.

"Did you not pass the exercise today?"

Cynthia looked at her like she was crazy. "The bandage? Of course I passed are you thick in the head? Easiest one yet. Mises Litton had the audacity to tell me my dress was too tight! It's the dress they gave me what else am I supposed to do? Run around here in the nude? They already have a problem with me I don't think they'd take that lightly. Bunch of snobby Bible-thumpers." She crossed her arms.

"You're a Bible-thumper."

Cynthia rolled her eyes. "I know...but I'm nice! Niceness is closest to Godliness and that's in the Book somewhere I'll find it...I haven't yet, but I will!"

Evelyn chuckled. 

Cynthia couldn't help but smile at her friend's contagious laugh. "I'm ready to get out of here...I've always wanted to go to France. Not like this...but at least I can say I've been. You've been, right."

Evelyn nodded. "Once, but I was much younger. I don't remember it too well."

She nodded. "I can't wait to tell my brothers I've seen the Effiel Tower...and mama. She's never been out of Georgia so honestly, me just telling her about Melford is exciting to her."

Evelyn smiled. "I hope I'll actually get to meet her when this is all over."

"Are you kidding! She won't allow you not to! She adores you. Oh! That reminds me did we get any letters?"

"They're under the bonnet you hurled in here in a bull's rage."

Cynthia sent her a playful glare. "Hush." She pushed herself off the bed and looked through them. "My aunts really keep up with the letters, hm? And there's mama's." She tore it open and took out two sheets of paper, handing one to Evelyn. "Here's yours. I'm gonna change so don't look!"

Evelyn took it eagerly and curled her legs up, getting comfortable to read:

_______________________________________________

Sweet Evie,

I have a bone to pick with you, missy. Cynthia told me you keep missing your meals and that is simply unacceptable! You need your strength to help those men when you and my girl get to Paris. Food is the key to the soul and you know what the good Lord says about the soul, don't you?  "Beloved, I wish above all things health, even as thy soul prospereth." And that'll be 3 John 1:2 for reference. A good verse. As they all are! Keep that soul healthy and fed. Lord knows your soul and heart will ache come time you encounter those poor men fighting for their lives. I pray for you every night and I pray peace finds you through all troubles. When these trials pass, you come to see me and the kids in Alpharetta and let me cook for you - you want to talk about food for the soul!

Be safe, sweetheart. Keep an eye on my wild girl. 

-  Gladys

_______________________________________________

Evelyn looked up to see Cynthia dressed in her gown and reading her letter from her mother, smiling warmly at the words. "Your mother is a saint I tell you."

Cynthia looked up and nodded. "Oh, I know. She's always been kind." 

Evelyn sat back again the wall and continued sewing up the hole.

Once Cynthia has eventually finished her letters, she tucked herself under her blanket and laid her head on her pillow facing Evelyn. She reached to the small table between their beds and turned down the wick in the oil lamp so the light would dim a bit.

"So...where are we at tonight?"

Evelyn grinned and sat the now patched dress on the floor by her, spinning around to reach under her pillow to pull out a new copy of Tarzan of the Apes. Samuel had sent it to her before she left for Saint Ivan's - when she could actually receive anything other than letters. She only started reading it recently as she was not required to spend as much time on the floor as when she arrived.

She opened the book where she had dog-eared the page the night before. This had become their tradition and they quite enjoyed it - it released the girls from reality for a bit.

"Chapter ten: The Fear-Phantom. From a lofty perch, Tarzan viewed the village of thatched huts across the intervening plantation. He saw that at one point the forest touched the village, and to this spot he made his way, lured by a fever of curiosity to behold animals of his own kind and to learn more of their ways and view the strange lairs in which they lived. His savage life among the fierce wild brutes of the jungle left no opening for any thought that these could be aught else than enemies. Similarity of form led him into no erroneous conception of the welcome that would be accorded him should he be discovered by these, the first of his own kind he had ever seen..."

-------------

Evelyn and Cynthia woke up early, as usual, to make their way to breakfast. Gladys's letter encouraged Evelyn to not be so selfish - she would have to worry about her strength for the soldiers and not her own forgetfulness. She was determined to not miss a meal from now on.

The breakfast hall was packed with young nurses, the older supervisors sat at the front of the room in order to keep an eye on things. Cynthia had been rambling for a while on how the color of her hair made her skin look dull - as much as Evelyn tried to assure her that it did not. 

The girls grabbed a metal tray and stood in line.

"Look at my ears. Look!"

Evelyn turned around and looked at Cynthia's ears that she had pulled out for her to get a better look. She cracked a smile.

"Why am I looking at your ears?"

"Do my ears look dull?"

She chuckled. "What do you even mean by dull? I've heard people say their hair is dull but not their skin!"

"Like...dull...you know. Flat. Dreary."

"Oh. Well in that case...no!"

Cynthia huffed.

Once they had gotten their meals, they made their way to a table with a few other girls they had gotten to know.

"Good morning, ladies!" Cynthia greeted.

"Good morning, Cynthia." Three of the girls greeted cheerfully. 

One girl, however, just eyed Cynthia.

"Good morning, Evelyn." All of the girls greeted.

"Good morning..." Evelyn noticed. 

She had noticed the girl's standoffish attitude towards Cynthia but didn't do anything about it since Cynthia didn't seem to care. It did bother Evelyn, however.

"Laura, I didn't hear you say good morning to Cynthia. You must have not heard her, I'm guessing?" Evelyn addressed as she took a sip of her milk.

Laura, a blond-haired blue-eyed New York native, narrowed her eyes at Evelyn. Evelyn just stared at her unbothered. Laura sucked her teeth and side-eyed Cynthia. "Good morning, Cynthia."

Cynthia smiled awkwardly. 

Evelyn nodded. "There...now we can all have a good morning."

The three other girls, Mary, Annie, and Grace, lowered their heads and smiled.

"So..." Annie, who had dark brown hair, began to speak. "I got a letter from Patrick."

"Why do we care? He's not a soldier, he's in Alabama." Grace, a tall girl with light blond hair, mentioned.

The girls sniggered.

Annie rolled her eyes. "Anyway! He's hinted at marriage again."

Mary, who had red hair, sighed. "Here we go..."

"Why didn't he propose before you left?" Evelyn asked while picking at her biscuit, smiling at Mary who was Annie's roommate - so she knew she's heard way too much about Patrick.

Annie shrugged. "Money probably. He works on cars. Which makes a lot more now than it did since cars are getting faster and all. Here I'll read what he said." Dug in her pocket and pulled out a crumpled letter. "He said: I saw two birds in the tree today outside my window. They were blue. I like bluebirds."

The girls remained still, waiting for Annie to continue; however, they realized that was all when she looked at them confusedly.

Laura leaned up to look at the girl. "That's it? That's him hinting at marriage? What did he say last time? He saw a deer cross the road?" 

"No! There were two birds and they were blue and he likes blue so he likes the idea of us being together," Annie explained in a confident tone. 

Evelyn tried her hardest to hold in a smile as she held her biscuit in her teeth for a drawn-out bite.

Cynthia looked dumbfounded but nodded. "That's certainly...thinking outside of the box, Annie. I think it's romantic."

Annie grinned. "I know. He's the sweetest." 

Laura scoffed. "Romantic? Is that what you think romance is, Cynthia? You don't read much, do you? Can you read?"

"Ok, Laura." Evelyn dropped her biscuit. "That's enough," She said sternly.

Cynthia gently patted Evelyn's arm. "Evie, it's ok."

"No. It's not. Is there a stick up your ass today? Like every other day. Does this particular stick trigger some unprovoked hostility towards Cynthia?"

Laura clenched her jaw but before she could fire back, Cyntia pointed to the doorway.

"Guys...look."

The girls directed their attention to the doorway where one of their supervisors, Sister Leola, stood with a man in a military uniform. He held a sheet in his hand as he went line by line with her - she would give an occasional nod. The room had gone silent once everyone noticed the man. They didn't take much notice of his appearance in but they didn't notice something significant to them - a band on his arm with a red cross,  like the ones they all wore as well.

The man gave a nod and handed her the list. Sister Leola stepped forward, locking her hands in front of her and clearing her throat. "The American Red Cross has initiated an expedition to send nurses to Paris alongside the American Ambulance Service. This expedition is of greater esteem as those selected to go will be tasked with the worst conditions of the war and will be seen as servicewomen, volunteer or not, you will be moving close to the Front Line. This expedition is called Mercy Ship and will be the first of its kind. Only forty of you were chosen as the first group to leave and you will begin your journey tonight." The nurse remained silent as Sister Leola scanned the list. "When I call your name, please make your way to your room to prepare for departure. I will go in alphabetical order...Marsha Applegate..."

Evelyn zoned out as she called their names, completely stunned that this was happening this soon. She wasn't sure if she would be chosen, but it was still quite amazing to witness a first in history.

"...Cynthia Ellis..."

Cynthia's eyes went wide as she squeezed Evelyn's arm and rose from her seat to head to their room. Sister Leola continued for a while.

"...Laura Finney..."

"...Annie Hannon..."

"...Grace Hilton..."

"...Mary Kent..."

Evelyn was now the only one left at her table as the list contained and nurse after nurse cleared the room...until.

"...Evelyn Levinson..."

Without hesitation, she rose from the table and briskly made her way out of the breakfast hall along with the small crowd of girls who had been called. 

Laura leaned against the wall, waiting for Evelyn. She stepped out in front of her to stop her. "What's your deal?"

Evelyn was still stunned from hearing her name she didn't fully grasp what was happening. "What?"

"You embarrassed me."

She woke up a bit now. "About Cynthia? You were embarrassed? How do you think she feels every day when you ignore her? We're not in primary school anymore, Laura, grow up."

"Why are you so nice to her? You come from a wealthy family and you act like you're one of the swine fraternizing with the help."

A cold chill ran up Evelyn's spine. The motivation behind Laura's behavior might have crossed Evelyn's mind, but she figured surely she wasn't that shallow. She would be wrong.

"Let's have an anatomy lesson, Laura."

Laura furrowed her brows. "What?"

"An anatomy lesson. You've studied your books, right? Of course you have, that's why you thought your nose was all bone. Now...let's say...my appendix needed to be removed. Yes?"

Laura nodded hesitantly.

"Ok...you'd have to cut me open to get it out. Correct? Yes. Now, what all would you see if you cut me open?"

"Blood...?"

"Blood. What else?"

"Organs...?"

"Organs. Good. What else?"

"Bones...?"

"Very good! Bones. Now...let's say the same thing happened to Cynthia. Her appendix needed to be removed. You cut her open...what do you see?"

Laura's nostrils flared.

"Since you've forgotten I'll remind you since you seem to think Cynthia and you have been cut from a different cloth...blood, organs, and bones." Evelyn stepped a bit closer. "As I said...we're not in primary school, Laura, we're about to see war. We're about to see the most Godless territory any man or woman has ever encountered and I hope for our sake and the sake of our children we won't see that again anytime soon once it's over. My point is...it's time we start seeing things for what they are and we start seeing people for people, not their wealth, or their career, or their religion, or political standing, or their color. War doesn't care...war doesn't see color. Death, pain, suffering, happiness, joy, or doesn't see color...I'll see you on the ship."

Laura said nothing else but remained in her spot as Evelyn made her way to her room with her heart pounding out of her chest.

Walking into the room, Cynthia was sitting on her bed staring at the floor until she heard footsteps. She jumped up from the bed and ran into Evelyn's arms.

"Oh thank the Lord! I couldn't leave without you."

Evelyn smiled and embraced the hug. "You won't be."

Cynthia dove under her bed and pulled out her carpet bag, running around the room collecting her things. Evelyn followed suit and began packing for their journey to France.

----------------

Life at Dowton changed a bit more than any of them had expected. Robert had been given the title of Lord Lieutenant, being responsible for the army stationed in the county while the war continued. He wore his uniform daily, taking his position as seriously as he had when he was a soldier years ago. Thomas had been enlisted first, being as the year prior he had gained some medical experience. The staff hadn't seen or heard from him since he had left Downton to pursue his goals. 

Shortly after, Matthew got word that he too would be set on leave soon and thus spent as much at Downton and with his mother as he could. In the times he wasn't at Downton or with Isobel, he found himself going from jewelry shop to jewelry shop - none of the rings said "Evelyn" to him...she was far too unique for any of these dull rocks.

When he explained to his mother about the misunderstanding, she cried tears of joy because not only would did it mean Evelyn still loved him, but she finally saw the bound back in his step and the smile she hadn't seen in months. It was all she could ask for. However, now she worried deeply about Matthew going on leave. She knew though that his drive to see Evelyn again would keep him stubborn and alive. 

He yearned for the day when she arrived home from America...where he presumed she would still be. He knew America was not allowing any foreign letters into the country yet and he feared he would not get to write to her before he left; but, he had a solution for that.

Arriving at Downton,  Matthew stepped into the library he had grown all too familiar with, greeted by Robert in his uniform, Isis by his side, and Cora sitting on the couch with a book. He clutched a letter in his hand.

"Hello, dear. Who's the letter for?" Cora asked.

"It's my letter to Evelyn...explaining everything."

Robert smiled. "They're still not -"

"I know...I'm hoping they lift that soon. I can't see the Americans staying out of anything for too long."

Cora chuckled and nodded, agreeing with him.

"I was wondering if...if I'm sent on leave before they lift the block might you be able to send it to her?"

Robert rose from his chair and took the letter. "It would be my pleasure."

Matthew smiled. "Thank you...I was hoping to get to send it myself but it doesn't look like I'll get to."

"How're you feeling about everything? Leaving?" Cora asked.

Matthew pondered for a moment. "...I don't think anyone can readily say they're ready to go to war. But I understand the weight of this...I'll be serving my country and I'm honored to do so."

Robert smiled.

"Plus...despite the circumstance...I'll have a beautiful girl to come home to...eventually."

----------------  

AN: Working on editing but I wanted to go ahead and post it, I was too excited to wait...sorry for any typos <3

Here's what Evelyn wears by the way:

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

3.8K 123 27
(Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley) When you serve in war together you form a bond beyond all else. When you serve in war with Thomas Barrow you find you...
2.8K 71 11
Continuation of Downton Abbey, the life of the third daughter (OC) of Robert and Cora Crawley. MUST READ SEASON 1,2,3 BEFORE READING THIS TO CATCH U...
12.2K 264 13
World War One has now occured and Lady Emma Crawley must either sink or swim in this troubled, dark times. Since the Garden Party in 1914, Emma must...
18.2K 361 57
[UNDER HEAVY EDITING] The little boy that Robert and Cora Crawley hoped for has safely arrived, making him the heir of Downton Abbey and not Matthew...