Fantasy World Online I: New R...

By Doctorchild

Ben is a 22 years old single office worker living with his university student sister. His favorite thing in t... More

New Roads! Chapter 1
New Roads! Chapter 2
New Roads! Chapter 3
New Roads! Author's Note 1
New Roads! Chapter 4
New Roads! Chapter 5
New Roads! Chapter 6
New Roads! Chapter 6.5: The Eastern Clearing
New Roads! Chapter 6.7: The Southern Clearing
New Roads! Chapter 6.9: The Western Camp
New Roads! Chapter 7
New Roads! Chapter 8
New Roads! Chapter 9
New Roads! Chapter 10
New Roads! Chapter 11
New Roads! Chapter 12
New Roads! Chapter 13
New Roads! Avatar Ben Varrand
New Roads! Bonus Chapter
All objects description (1)
New Roads! Author's Note
New Roads! Avatar Ben Varrand (2)
New Roads! Chapter 13.5
New Roads! Chapter 14
New Roads! Chapter 15

New Roads! Chapter 16

78 1 0
By Doctorchild

We left Ben in his new Horse form, Sendrix collapsed and strapped on his back, facing seven elves after stealing their quest target from them.

What could possibly happen from there?

••••••••••

Chapter 16: The Horse That Whispered In The Elves' Ears

We faced each other several seconds before the elven warrior with two swords decided to step in and checked the rest of the room.

"No trace of anyone else."

"A secret room, perhaps?"

This is the secret room!

"I doubt it. I would notice it."

Dokil, their spy, was the one who had said that. He was now eying my cargo with envy.

"That's Sendrix."

"What is he doing tied up on it?"

I'm not an it!

"Don't know."

"Do you think it's part of the quest?"

"If it was we would have received a message from the system. No, look at those wounds. Sendrix got defeated, patched, and strapped up."

"The quest does say that he has to be brought back alive..."

"So he got had by the same dude that's been tying people up?"

"I think so."

Oh, so you guys noticed that, huh?

"Where do you think he is now?"

"Maybe he died."

"He had time to heal Sendrix, why not himself?"

"Who knows! Let's grab Sendrix and run!"

The comment came from one of the archers. When he tried to reach my prisoner I took a series of steps back, putting him out of reach.

Still the man tried again. This time I hit the stone floor with my hooves a few times and shaked my head in disaproval.

"I don't think he wants you to."

It was their leader. She came to me and started patting my head.

"We're not here to hurt or steal from you. But we are interested in meeting your master. Can you bring us to him?"

"Oh, please like it can understand you!"

"I think it can."

"It's a bloody animal!"

"Yes. For now."

Does she...! oh, wow. She knows I'm not a horse!

Half curious as to why she did not rat me out and half afraid she would decide to kill me, I decided to comply.

I walked straight between their group and started going back up on the secret passage.

The party leader walked next to me, touching my flank or my mane from time to time.

"I like this color. It makes me think of the night sky. Especially with the mark at front of the head."

I hadn't seen myself in a mirror so I didn't know what she was talking about but I supposed she was talking about the Spirit of the Night Sky's blessing.

"You know Alma, I'm starting to worry about you. You're talking to a dumb horse as if he can understand you!"

That was rude!

I stopped walking, turned towards the one who had said that and stared at him for several seconds.

"What's it doing?"

"I think he is upset you think he is dumb. You should say your sorry."

"What?! No way!"

I advanced on him, forcing him to step back against the wall. I put my face right in front of his, waited until I had his total attention and head butted him lightly.

"Ow! What's with him?!"

"I told you, you should apologise."

"Okay, okay! I'm sorry!"

That will do for now.

The rest of the way was uneventfull. The passage way was empty of soldiers or guards. They probably all disappeared when I received my quest update.

When we arrived at the exit I hesitated. There was no way the Spirit would not appear again.

Too late to back away now. Let's do this.

I stepped out of the tunnel and hurried in front of the marble table. The mist that would form the Spirit of the Wind was already forming. I knelt down, quickly followed by the elf leader.

Smart girl.

Strong winds were blowing, destabilising those still up. The mage must have understood that something was wrong because she made her comrades bow down next to us.

When the last of the elves had knelt, the Wind Spirit appeared.

The giant eagle spread its wings wide and directed it's gaze on us.

"You who follows the path of the Druids, I thank thee for cleansing my sanctuary of the humans' melevolence. And you did so without any unnecessary bloodshed... As a reward to your efforts I will entrust you with one of my Wind Stones. May it help you in your journey."

You have received a Wind Stone.

Familiarity with spirits +7%

You have leveled up."

Nice.

"Who do you think it's talking to?"

"I don't know."

"Not us right?"

The others were confused, only their leader knew that I was not a simple horse. She was looking at me with a respectful expression. It was not the first time I had seen it. Back when I was still around Djaden county, many people were looking at me like some kind of hero because of my position in the Wall of Fame. It had been so bother some that I had started wearing hoods to hide my face from the other players.

"As for you, elves... Althrough your race is one of the most trustworthy and understanding, you dared to enter the very heart of my temple without my benediction and made use of violence as you did! I warn you elves, if you ever come back here IA shall destroy you!"

In a flash of light and a burst of wind the seven avatars disappeared along with the Wind Spirit and I was left alone.

Well, I guess that means I won't have to worry about going up the stairs as a horse.

I changed back to my human form immediately. Sendrix was still tied and on my back but all of my equipment was back. I opened my inventory and checked on my new item.

"Wind Stone

Durability: 500/500

Monetary Value: 14S

Real Value: 4G 26S

A Spiritual Stone filled with the Wind Spirit Powers. It is a flat and circular transparent stone with the Ancient Rune of the Wind Spirit naturally carved into it.

Can be used as a material for jewelry or decoration. Depending on the result of the item created through its use, the Wind Stone attributes will fluctuate.

•Wind Resistance: +15%

•Cold Resistance: +10%

•Fame +800

•Honor +100

•A.R.K. +50

•Respect +40

•Speed +30

•Dexterity +25

Prerequisites:

•Druid path or elf/beastman race

•Honor 200

•Intelligence 100

•Respect 100

Rare Mystical Item"

"Through the observation of a special item Spirit Understanding rose to Beginner 8 (0%)"

"Your journal has been updated."

I was speechless. The name was so simple yet the item had so much power and stats adds! Considering its Rare and Mystical class and its effects it was no wonder the prerequisites were so high. Not wearing it would be a crime. Yet the possibility of using it to create an even more powerful object was tempting.

I decided to wait before using it. With more information I might be able to use it better.

I opened my journal and looked at the new entry.

"Spirits' Stones:

Stones of different colors, manufacture, and minerals, they are imbuded with a small fraction of the powers of the Spirit that created them.

Given only to those who have proven their valors in the eyes of a Spirit, they are of incredible value due to their power and rarity.

However because of the diversity in their appearance, only those with an affinity with Spirits can feel the hidden powers of a Spirit Stone and differentiate them from normal stones and jewels.

Throughout history, Spirit Stones have been reported in the possession of great leaders, Spirit Summoners, exceptional Mages and combatants of honor but the most famous possessor of a Spirit Stone remains the man known as Merlin the Wise.

He was a Mage who had studied all magical arts and Spiritual paths known to man in his time. As a result, his magical and Spiritual abilities were immense. Yet most of his true power was within his various artifacts, each one being imbuded with a Spirit Stone."

Merlin?

I took a minute to think about the possible artefacts linked to Merlin.

Excalibur, the Holy Grail, his scepter... I bet there is much more than those. I will have to do some research.

Then I used my five new stat points and put them all into Speed. Speed, Dexterity, and Endurance were the stats supporting my combat abilities, Intelligence were supporting my Druidic skills. Strength and Toughness respectivelly defined my offensive and defensive power but since my combat style was to repeatedly hit critical areas and avoid strikes instead of blocking I had no need to increase them for now.

Once done I started walking up the stairs, once in the long corridor I took the time to visit every rooms, picking all that had been left behind by the others and the items I had previously hidden.

It was mostly laced sandals, white garbs, gold colored ropes used as belts and a few serpes. The most interesting items were some rare herbes and the first and last book of the 5 book series 'Journal of a Druid's Apprentice'.

It was probable that the three other volumes were in the hands of the elves. I would have to try to talk to their leader to trade them.

I was right next to the Dolmen's entrance when I realised I still had half a day's walk while carrying Sendrix until I reached Millen, I went back to my horse form and started on the path back to the village.

It hadn't been a minute before the elves started running next to me. The mage greeted me with a polite nod and we traveled together at the same rhythm.

We stopped for breackfast and lunch, Alma, that was the elves party leader's name hold a few carrots for me. I tried eating some grass out of curiosity, it tasted like a mix of letuce and aspergus. Wierd but nice.

Sendrix woke up half way to Millen. He was both confused and furious. He tried to untie himself several time but with no success. At some point one of the archers got so bored of his threats and corruption attempts that he gagged him with an Old Stinky Sock.

We arrived back at Millen clause to mid afternoon, a few sentinels, the field workers and their protection saw us arrive from miles away so Vendro was already waiting for us at the walls gates.

"You did it!"

He hugged the elves one by one and ended it with Alma.

"As much as I want to take the credit for it, my people and O only dealt with Sendrix's henchman, the one that defeated him was the person you sent after us."

"I see. Well non-the-less your contribution to this mission was consequencial and should be rewarded as so. Here take those few trinkets with you and consider yourselves my guest."

"Thank you, Vendro."

"By the way were did Sir Ben Varrand go?"

The whole party froze up after hearing my name. Even through I had fallen back to second place in the Wall of Fame and more than half a year had passed since my avatar's appearance on TV people still remembered my name.

"You kidding, right?"

"I'm sorry?"

"The guy that was back at the dungeon was Ben Varrand? The Ben Varrand?! A Martial Artist, druid, and lesser noble with cunning tactics and mad combat skill?"

"I don't know about the druid part but the rest seems about right, yes."

The elves started chatting exitedly between themselves, I took the opportunity to approach Vendro. He did not seem to understand so I gave an imploring look to Alma.

"I think he wants to hand over Sendrix to you on behalf of his master, Sir Ben Varrand."

"Oh, of course."

Once I was free from my burden I hid in the stables, took my human form and entered the inn. I sat at the counter until Vendro came back and gestured for something to drink.

"Sir Varrand! Here you are!"

"Nice to see you too, Vendro."

"I heard from Lady Alma that you were the one to capture Sendrix?"

"Yes. O didn't want the others to hear about this though."

I pulled the decrypted message out of my bag and handed it to Vendro.

"Fantastic! With this the King will have enough reason to search Sendrix's Family Manor and their lands. It is only a matter of time before Sendrix's culpability is proven!"

"You have completed the Mercenary quest Ally of Millen

You have received:

•Free stay and sustenance at Vendro's inn

•Familiarity with the Millen village +23%

•Familiarity with Fridol County +1%

•Familiarity with the Murim +0.3%

•Fame +50 •Honor +15

•Respect +10"

"Tell me, Sir Ben Varrand..."

"Just Ben will do."

"Ben, if I remember correctly you are on your way to the Capital, right?"

"That is exact."

"Then I have another favor to ask of you. Will you bring all the proof I have gathered against Sendrix and his lineage to the King?"

"Me?"

"Yes."

"How? They won't let me pass, especially with what's going on. I'm an outsider!"

"I have a friend working at the Castle's Training Hall, he will get you access. So?"

"Fine, I will do it."

"Quest update: Ally of the Kingdom

You have found enough proof of the Sendrix's Family for the King himself to meddle in. Contact Vendro's murim friend, Elia, to gain access to the Castle and reach the King.

Quest prerequisite: completion of Ally of Millen, 150 Respect, 150 Honor

Quest completion: Contact Elia and bring Vendor's package to the King.

Quest failure: you lose Vendro's package.

Quest class: D++"

"You were entrusted with 'Vendro's Package' and 'Sealed Note to Elia'."

I drank a bit from the cup Vendro had offered me.

"Say, I am to tired to leave now, can it wait until tomorow?"

"As long as the package arrives into the Kings hands I have no problem with how you proceed."

"Good."

Another gulp later, a curious thought came to me. Then an ambitious idea imposed itself.

"Vendro, Sendrix is already guilty of attacking Millen, right? So why try to judge him for more? Won't it be useless?"

"I believe the King wants to ban the Sendrix's from nobility. The attack on the village on itself is insufficient to punish the whole linage, but both the conspiracy and the felony shall do."

Knew it!

"I see... Say, can you tell me more about Sendrix's estate?"

"Sure! The Sendrix Family rule a town further north from here. It is called Fillera. It is quite big for a town. It is known for its science of metallurgy and jewelry in all of the Kingdom."

"Yes, I believe I read about it a few times."

"That does not surprise me. The Sendrix Family itself lives in a large Manor surrounded by a small garden on the East side of the town. They often hold expensive parties and festivities in their domain but the town itself is quite poor. All the funds go into the forges and its materials. All the daily necessities are expensive and the people work like slaves for nearly nothing. Trust me, the Sendrix's demise is the best thing that happened to this country in a long time!"

A huge manor soon to be confiscated by the crown, a whole town in need of basic goods and the possible obtention of a better armor for myself. I need to visit the place.

"If what you said is true then I have no trouble believing you."

I finished my cup of ale and bid goodnight to Vendor and left for my room where after stopping the recording option I went directly to sleep.

-----

I pulled the head gear off my face and sat in my bed. I noticed that I was going to be late for work, again. In a hurry I changed into my work clothes, grabbed a banana and my car keys. Annie was waiting for me at the door.

"You know, I still have half an hour before my first course. If you want I can take the bus this way you won't be late."

"No way. it's my job as your big brother to give you a lift. I'm not about to bail on it."

"Fine. But you need to find a better system then. You can't keep playing, working, and assisting me at the same time. You're exausted!"

"Don't worry. I will be fine. In a few days I won't have to go to play so intensively anyway."

"What! What's that about!"

"Don't worry! I know what I am doing. Trust me."

"You better be saying the truth, Ben, or Ma' will kill us both."

"Haha."

What I was saying was the truth. In a few days I would reach Braeen Capital and register the Centiped Guild, after that it would take a few hours to lunch the guilds opperations and distribute the positions.

In less than two weeks the money would start flowing in and my 40% share as the founder of the guild would bring me tremendous amouts of money.

In other words as long as the guild had success in its trade and the more powerful it was the more money I would obtain every month.

In other words, my objective was to expand my guilds power far beyond the frontiers of Braeen Kingdom.

Continue Reading