Sorrow & Mercy: a Great Ace A...

By baroksfacescar

[Contains major spoilers for the Great Ace Attorney Chronicles / Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1&2] Our tale begins 10... More

Folds of Scarlet
Windborne-Blossom
A Curtain of Mist
Faces Familiar and Strange
Matters of Blood
Strange Pity
The Shapes of Things
A Change of Circumstance
Truth and Misconception
The Heart of Things
Winter's Sudden Entrance
Warmth
A Curtain of Scarlet
Soothing Conviction
In No Harsh Voice
Ventured Descent
Strange Shadows
That Black Shape
Lingering
Violent Grief
To the Heart
Bleak Shores
An Entire Separation
PART II: Years of Ink
Oceanborne-Blossom
A Curtain of Sorrow
The Terror He Inspired
Judgements
Momentary Respite
Swift Departure
Sombre Indignation
Persistence
Those Who Return
Spasm of Agony
Wound
Death-White
The Breath Before
A Curtain of Truth
Separate Paths
Inexpressible Sorrow
Promises
Twisting
Reunited Blood
Slow Throb of an Old Wound
Mercy
Our Final Resolve

Kindness

34 2 0
By baroksfacescar

Casting aside her doubts and sadness, Susato focused on her resolve. She had told Barok van Zieks that she would not give up on trying to forge a connection with her father, and that meant she had to keep trying.

Yujin was gone by the time she woke up, but a quick inquiry revealed he was at the university that day. Or rather, he probably was, as Sholmes had said, before laughing in that enigmatic way of his.

Susato exited Baker Street—carrying a small lunch she had put together with the foods she had found when Jigoku showed her around the neighbourhood—and hailed a carriage to the university grounds.

"Oh! Miss Mikotoba! Miss Mikotoba!"

Susato was on her way to the common room when the gleeful shout struck her ears. Albert Harebrayne waved as he raced towards her. She smiled and bowed to him as he came to a stop, a bit out of breath.

"It's so, so, so nice to see you!" he said.

"It is nice to see you as well, Mr. Harebrayne!" Susato said.

"Here to see your father again?"

"Yes, I am," Susato said.

"Mind if I walk with you?"

"Not at all!"

They strolled leisurely across the grounds, towards the medical common room. Glancing around inside, Susato could not find any trace of her father. She frowned. Albert suggested some other places they could check, and led her through the rooms dedicated to medical studies. At last, they happened upon Yujin Mikotoba talking in the hallway with a white man who had a moustache. Susato hesitated.

"Doctor Wilson!" Albert called, interrupting their conversation.

The man offered a smile. Yujin's hard stare shifted to Susato. Strengthened into a glare.

"To what do we owe the pleasure?" Dr. Wilson said.

"Oh, oh, uh, I was actually just escorting Miss Mikotoba here," Albert said, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Miss Miko—Miss Mikotoba!? Why, Yujin, you never mentioned that you have such a charming daughter!" Dr. Wilson said.

Yujin grunted.

Susato bowed. "Susato Mikotoba. I apologise greatly for interrupting you, but it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

"Very well-mannered, indeed. I am John Wilson," the man said and bowed in return.

"Dr. Wilson and I have important matters to discuss. We were just on our way out," Yujin said stiffly.

"Yes, I'm sorry to say my colleague is correct. We have a matter to attend to at the prison," Dr. Wilson said.

"Oh, there must be an execution today then, isn't there?" Albert said.

Susato looked at him with alarm.

"Quite so," Dr. Wilson said, putting away his pocket watch. "We must be off then. A true pleasure to meet you. Perhaps we can speak at length some other time."

"Yes, that would be wonderful," Susato said, returning his bow. "Oh! Father, I brought you a lunch. Perhaps you can take it with you?"

"Not possible," Yujin said and brushed past her.

Dr. Wilson gave her a pleasant smile before walking after Yujin. Susato sighed.

Soon, she found herself seated in the shade of a tree on one of the university's emerald green lawns. Albert was at her side. She allowed him to eat the lunch she had prepared, feeling no hunger for it, herself.

"You mentioned an execution, Mr. Harebrayne?" she said dully, the knots in her stomach still untying themselves after the disappointing encounter.

"Yes, yes, I did. Capital punishment."

"Oh, yes. That's right, isn't it? A lot of crimes in England result in capital punishment."

"Being a medical examiner, Dr. Wilson conducts a lot of autopsies," Harebrayne explained. "Your father is his assistant."

"Right. That must be so horrible," Susato said.

A shadow fell over them.

"Oh, hello, Barok!" Albert said brightly.

Susato looked up, squinting. The sun was out, ripping through the veil of mist that had been so thick in the morning. It glared over Barok's shoulder, enshadowing his face and gilding his profile.

"Good day, Albert. It is a welcome surprise to see you, Miss Mikotoba," Barok said and bowed.

"Sit with us, Barok!" Albert said.

Barok smiled at Susato and sat down on Albert's other side, book in hand. "You came here to visit with your father, Miss Mikotoba?"

"Oh, yes. I tried to see him..." Susato said.

"She made him a lunch. You have to try it! It's delicious!" Albert said gleefully, pushing the rest of the boxed lunch towards Barok.

"He had to go to the prison," Susato said.

"That is a terrible shame," Barok said softly.

"It turned out to be quite advantageous for Mr. Harebrayne," Susato said with forced brightness.

Barok gave her a faint smile.

"Yes, indeed! Most advantageous, Miss Susato! You would make an excellent wife!" Albert enthused.

"My friend," Barok sighed.

"Oh, ah, sorry! Sorry, Miss Susato!" Albert said.

"It's not so terrible to hear that I have some marriageable qualities, at least," Susato said with a mirthful smile.

"I'm sure you have many! Not that I'm going to pursue you. I'm going to Germany soon, you see!" Albert said and laughed.

"Germany? That sounds thrilling!" Susato said.

"You know about the scientists in Germany, Miss Susato?" Albert said.

"Not at all!"

"Oh."

"Albert," Barok said.

Both Susato and Albert looked at Barok. His arms were crossed and his face looked rather serious. "Do you assume you would be a candidate for Miss Mikotoba's hand?"

"Ahhh! No! Oh no, no, no! That was just a jest!" Albert said.

"Be mindful that your jests sound like jests, my friend," Barok said.

"Lord van Zieks, I think neither of us can tell if you are jesting at the moment," Susato said.

"I will never jest about propriety. Although I may jest about jesting," Barok said.

"And I may be late for my lecture! I should go!" Albert said in alarm, hopping to his feet.

Susato smiled. "Will you be joining us for dinner tonight, Mr. Harebrayne?"

"Oh, no. No, I have to do lab work all night. But have a nice time, my friends!" He waved and hurried away.

Susato glanced over at Barok. He met her eyes. They smiled lightly at each other.

"I will have to focus singularly on my studies as well. Within the next few months, I will be graduating. And then I will begin my internship at the Prosecutor's office," Barok said.

"That's so exciting!"

"I will be apprenticed to my brother. I confess, I am a bit nervous. Klint is one of the greatest prosecutors in all of England, and holds the office of Chief Prosecutor."

"Really? That's amazing!"

"Yes. It is rare that anyone is acquitted when he is in the courtroom."

Susato's smile dropped away as she recalled the nature of punishment usually decreed to the guilty. "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent suffer."

"You have started to read the Commentaries, I see. Yes, I do agree with you, Miss Mikotoba," Barok said. "I am not saying Klint wins his trials through ruthless means. Evidence is the key to the truth, and Klint is well aware of that. In fact, he assures the truth is found and that justice is delivered to the right person. That is the true victory in a courtroom."

"Oh, that's a relief. Forgive me for implying otherwise."

"It is no offense. Klint oversees the investigations Scotland Yard carries out personally, ensuring evidence is properly handled. I intend to do the same when I become a prosecutor. Although, I do not think I could ever rise to his greatness."

"You admire him very highly."

"I do. I believe in my brother more than anyone," Barok said.

Susato smiled at him.

"And you, Miss Mikotoba? You are interested in justice as well. I believe you said that Mr. Asogi's son is endeavouring to become a defense attorney?"

"Yes, that's right. To ensure the innocent do not suffer and to faithfully defend the wrongfully accused, no matter how little others believe in them. That is what we both believe to be justice," Susato said.

"If your friend is even half as sincere as you, then I trust he will be a most admirable attorney."

Susato smiled again, a bit of heat brushing at her face.

"I have no further classes for the day. Miss Mikotoba, would you like a tour of the campus? I could introduce you to some of my professors, if you so wish? They would be delighted to hear of your interest in legal studies, I am sure. Afterwards, we could take a carriage together to meet with Gregson," Barok said.

"Would that really be alright?"

"Yes."

Barok stood. Susato climbed quickly to her feet. He offered her his arm and she took it. Together they began to stroll across the campus, delighting in the sunshine that warmed the crisp autumnal air.

As they walked, many of the passing students bowed and offered pleasantries and greetings to Barok.

"So many people know you," Susato said. "I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, considering how kind you and your family are. I have to admit, I was nervous at first, but you are nothing like the nobles I have read about."

"You mean callous and full of self-importance?" Barok said, his voice stiffening.

"I'm sorry. I did not mean to speak so rudely of your class."

"It is alright. You are not wrong. A lot of the aristocracy do think themselves above others and above the law."

"Above the law?" Susato echoed, brow furrowed.

"It is true I was born into a high station, with good wealth and standing. However, circumstances do not define a person's value. What defines the quality of a person is their actions. I seek justice for all, regardless of standing. There are many who are so obsessed with wealth and power they will gladly throw their fellow humans to the wolves. I could never countenance such actions. There is nothing more unjust than feeding the demon of greed."

Susato stared up at Barok as he spoke. He was so ardent in his beliefs, his eyes aflame with determined passion. Warmth spread through her, and she felt her personal regard for him soaring.

"I believe that as well," she said, feeling strangely breathless.

"I just hope I can live up to my principles. To help people by honouring my beliefs, upholding the law, and sharing what I have been given."

Susato smiled. "Well, you are friends with a penniless student of science, an inspector, and a lowly foreigner. I do not believe such passionate words are empty at all."

"There is nothing lowly about you, Miss Mikotoba," Barok said, looking down into her eyes with that same light of fervent resolve.

Her heart fluttered. "And there is nothing callous about you. You are very warm."

"I am glad that you see me as warm. I know my care for propriety can make me seem rather stilted," Barok said. "Lady Baskerville has teased me about that to no end."

"I appreciate your care for propriety. Such politeness is something I have always valued greatly."

"I can tell you are a woman of exceptional upbringing."

"That is a credit to my grandmother and the Asogi family," Susato said.

"Genshin is very chivalrous. And you are very refined, Miss Mikotoba."

"Thank you. I think you are very refined as well."

The pair fell into companionable silence, which was disrupted occasionally by Barok. He commented on the different places they visited around the campus, pointing out quiet areas where he liked to study and pathways he found particularly attractive. The afternoon passed by pleasantly.

***

That evening, Susato discovered just how delicious fried fish and chips were. Fresh and crisp, salty and warm, she was quite delighted by the food. However, she was far more delighted by her company. And Gregson seemed even more excited about her trying the food than she felt eating it.

"See? Isn't it the perfect meal, Gentlewoman Mikotoba?" he said, eyes glittering.

"It is very delicious!" Susato said, barely restraining a soft laugh at his extreme enthusiasm.

"I bet it makes you glad you came all this way, doesn't it?" Gregson said.

Susato upheld her smile. "It has been a bit of a difficult trip, but I am glad I am here! I have met so many wonderful people."

"Have you seen your father much?" Gregson said.

Susato looked away. "Not much at all, no. But he is very busy."

"He sure is! He and that blasted Sholmes are always getting underfoot," Gregson said, eyebrow twitching. "Makin' their deductions and dancin' and what not."

"Dancing?" Susato said, tilting her head.

"Oh yes, the dancing," Klint said and chuckled lightly. "You have to admit, it is surprisingly effective."

"I don't gotta admit anything!" Gregson said, waving his food aggressively towards Klint. "Ah, sorry Miss Mikotoba. I don't want you to think I don't care for your ole man or anything."

"It's alright. Honestly, I am just happy to hear people talk about him. I don't really know much about him myself," Susato said. "And I think I caused him offense."

"That is hard to imagine," Klint said, smiling at her softly.

"I broke his pocket watch," Susato confessed. "I just had to see how it worked!"

"Uh-oh. You know, I have a pocket watch, myself. Yep. Given to me by the Yard when I became an Inspector. It's my prized possession," Gregson said.

Susato balked. "Oh dear. I must have offended him greatly, then!"

"If a man values something, he should keep it close!" Gregson said, waving his food again.

"Certainly, he will forgive you. I cannot imagine something like that would make him wish to avoid your company," Klint said.

Susato looked down at the table. If only it was something as simple as a timepiece that divided them. But she feared Herlock Sholmes had been entirely correct in his deduction.

"There is something I must do. Please forgive me if parting from your company offends," Barok said, standing. He bowed to the table then walked away.

"What's that all about?" Gregson said.

Klint shrugged.

"So! Miss Mikotoba," Gregson said. "Have you ever had better fish than this? I bet you haven't, have you!"

"Inspector Gregson," Susato said severely.

He blinked, taken aback by her sudden change in tone.

"While this is very nice, you should know that Japanese food...primarily consists of fish!"

"Oh! Well, I bet it isn't fried like this is, is it now?" Gregson said.

"Whether cooked or raw, no one prepares fish better than the Japanese!" Susato said with passion.

"R-Raw?!" Gregson said.

"Do you not serve fish raw here at all?" Susato said. "Now that I think about it, raw fish was never mentioned in anything I read."

Gregson stared at her, eyes wide with horror.

Klint gave her a sheepish look and shrugged.

Barok returned several moments later, smoothing his hair back as he sat down.

"We thought we were gonna have to leave without you, Lord Barok," Gregson said.

"Yes, I was about ready to assume someone had executed you in the streets," Klint said.

"Forgive the discourtesy if my absence caused offense," Barok said.

"Were you able to complete your task, Lord van Zieks?" Susato said.

Barok nodded.

"You missed out on quite the conversation. Miss Mikotoba here was just tellin' us all about Japan and their crazy cuisine," Gregson said.

"A terrible loss on my part," Barok said, then smiled apologetically at Susato.

"I can tell you about it in the carriage, if you like?" Susato said.

"Yes. It is growing rather late, is it not?" Barok said.

"Right. You lords always keep such proper time," Gregson said.

"Says the man who winds his pocket watch at the exact same hour every day," Klint said. "And is prone to panic if he is even but a minute late."

"Hey now, it's important to maintain the things that matter to you!" Gregson said.

"Perhaps we can all meet again soon. I want to maintain our friendship," Susato said with a bright smile.

Gregson looked at her. Looked away. Looked at her. Took off his hat, his eyes bright. "Miss Susato Mikotoba. You are quite the remarkable woman."

"Are you planning to join her long line of suitors, Gregson?" Klint said.

"Say what now!?"

Klint laughed. Barok sighed.

***

The carriage came to a stop outside of 221B. Susato's heart lurched. Swallowing past her nervousness, she reached for the door.

"May I have a moment?" Barok said.

Susato nodded.

Barok exited the carriage and offered his hand, helping her down. He then reached into his inner coat pocket and withdrew a small cloth bag. Susato opened it and stared down in awe. It was a pocket watch, and it looked far finer than the one she had broken. She stared up into Barok's face searchingly, at his gentle smile and soft gaze.

"Is...Is this why you left?" Susato said. "This is...far too kind of you, Lord van Zieks."

"Hold to your resolve, Miss Mikotoba. Do not give up on gaining a place in your father's life," Barok said and bowed.

Susato bowed back, blinking quickly, overwhelmed. She gave Barok a small smile over her shoulder as she hesitated on the porch. Turning away, she tested the door. Thankfully, it was unlocked. She listened to the hooves and wheels clack away from her before she walked inside, cradling the timepiece in her hand.

Sholmes was playing his violin. Susato set about making tea while he did so, hoping her father would soon appear. She set the tea tray down and sank onto the sofa with a book. Her pulse raced with nervous anticipation, but she was certain her father would be delighted with the new pocket watch.

Susato's mind drifted away from the pages as she waited, thoughts of Barok spilling through her. How can I ever show him how grateful I am for his kindness?

Her silent musings were interrupted by the sudden appearance of her father. Susato stood quickly.

"Welcome home!" she said.

"Why are you always here?" Yujin said.

Susato's smile crumpled. "I have something for you." She held the pocket watch out to him with both her hands. Yujin looked at it then plucked it from her one-handed. He examined it before stuffing it into his pocket.

"I didn't ask you for anything," he said.

"I know. It was a gift. Actually, you should really pay your thanks to—"

"I am not thanking you. Susato. I never said you could approach me at the university, and certainly not when I am with important colleagues."

The iciness of his voice squeezed Susato by the spine. She stared at him, bewildered, pained. Sholmes stopped playing his violin, and the vanishing of sound awoke the heaviness in the air, allowing its oppressive folds to roll over Susato. Sholmes then dashed into the kitchen, and Susato realised it was the first time she was utterly alone with her father.

She clasped her hands together, recovering her voice at last. "Forgive me, Father." She bowed deeply. "I merely wanted to ensure you were well looked after. Your health is so important to me."

"I don't want your care. In fact, I don't want you here at all. When are you leaving?"

"F-Father! Please, can I not be a part of your life? Even if it's just one cup of tea or a small conversation each day. Even if you only wish to say 'tadaima' to me when you come home, I would be so happy."

"That is not what I want," Yujin said.

"I just want to know you. It was already so hard growing up without my mother."

"And whose fault is that?"

Susato's tightened.

Yujin began to walk away.

Susato could scarcely contain her tears. She choked on her breath, her hands tensing, and squeezed her fingers tight. Sholmes appeared at her side, holding a small plate.

"Scone?"

Susato turned away from him and hurried after her father.

"Ah, you wound me. Such an unsociable madam," Sholmes muttered.

"Mattekudasai! I will do anything you ask of me. I can cook for you or clean or help you with paperwork. Anything," Susato pleaded.

Yujin turned around sharply, jaw tight. "Go back to Japan."

"No! I won't. I refuse!"

"Maybe I can't force you to go back, but you can't stay here anymore."

"What!?"

"Get out. Right now."

"No! Please, wait!"

"Out!"

"Where am I to go?" Susato said.

"That is not my concern. Just get out! Get out, Ayame!"

Susato stared at Yujin, breath catching, tears running down her cheeks.

Yujin's face filled with a terrible shadow. He turned away from her sharply. "I better not catch you here in the morning," he said, voice low and dark and quiet. Then he pushed past her and disappeared up the stairs.

Susato could not move. She stood there helplessly, hands clasped, face cold and wet.

"But I came all this way..." she breathed.

"Was it worth it, madam?" Sholmes said.

Susato's tear-filled eyes shifted to his face. He was staring at her, but she could not decipher his expression. Was it cruelty? Or was he genuinely asking? Either way, Susato had no answer. Her mouth moved soundlessly, and then she turned away as a fresh sob rolled up her throat. She pulled open the door and stepped into the mist-thickened night.

Cold air pushed at her skin as she hurried to find a carriage before they stopped for the night. She sprinted towards one just as the driver was preparing to climb down. She begged desperately and handed him a generous payment. He stared at her for a moment, considering, then sighed and grabbed the reins.

Susato slumped in the carriage. The rattling hurt her head as she stared out the window. Silver mist threaded the streets, the roads, clouded her vision. She tried to stop crying as her reflection wavered on the window, her breath splashing white on the cold glass. But she simply couldn't stop.

At last, the carriage drew up outside the gates. Susato disembarked. The lantern on the front of the carriage threw out a circle of yellow light. Then, with a soft clattering of hooves and the sharp ticking of the wheels, the light shrank and disappeared, mist overtaking her sight. Susato touched the frigid bars, and saw her hands her were shaking.

A distant bead of light fell into the darkness. And then footsteps broke out of the mist. Klint stood, lantern in hand, features severe as the light cast upwards, splashing onto his face. His stone-carved expression changed, softening with surprise. He unlatched the gate and held out his hand.

Next thing Susato knew, she was standing in the entryway of the van Zieks' manor, shivering, wiping at the undersides of her eyes. And then Lady Baskerville hugged her, the floral scent of her perfume reaching Susato through the solemn haze.

"Oh, Miss Susato! I am so glad Klint and I were still awake! We saw the carriage light from the drawing room," she said, squeezing Susato tightly before stepping back.

Both Klint and Lady Baskerville stared at Susato with grim attention, clearly unsettled by her appearance.

"I—I am so sorry. I didn't know...I could not think of anywhere else to go," she said.

"No, no, dear! We are glad you came to us," Lady Baskerville said. "But are you quite alright, Miss Susato? Did something terrible happen?"

Susato tried to speak, but the words tangled in her throat.

"Has someone caused you harm? Should I call on the Yard?" Klint said, voice quick and fretful.

Susato shook her head. "N-No. I am not hurt. No one hurt me."

Klint and Lady Baskerville exchanged a look before staring at her once more.

"Miss Susato, let me show you to a room. You must be so cold and exhausted," Lady Baskerville said and took Susato's hands in hers. "You will stay here tonight! I have an old nightgown I am sure will fit you just fine."

"I-I could not possibly..."

"You will stay here, however long you need," Klint said firmly.

"You are far too kind," Susato said.

Lady Baskerville smiled at her sympathetically. "Come along. Let us get you all warmed up. Klint, love, please send for the maid. Ask her to prepare some tea that will help our guest sleep."

"Of course. Rest well, Miss Mikotoba," Klint said.

And then Susato was whisked away to a very spacious room, lavishly decorated. She changed into the nightgown Lady Baskerville provided her with, which was rather long, and very comfortable.

Unpinning her hair, Susato climbed into the bed. It was very warm indeed and the softest mattress she had ever slept on. Susato drank the tea given to her and curled up tight under the bedclothes. For several moments, her tears stained the pillow, chilling it below her cheek, and then she stumbled into sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

160K 5.8K 18
Meiko Sarutobi is the younger sister of Asuma Sarutobi, and a complete troublemaker. During the day, she is a beautiful, funny, sweet, and all around...
107 1 7
Like all good love stories, it started with a group of borderline drunk friends, karaoke, needlessly intensive competition, and secrets. Not necessar...
182K 2.4K 16
Izuku Yagi lived a happy life with his parents his Step-father Toshinori Yagi aka All Might, his half-sister Izumi Yagi and his mother Inko Yagi. Whe...