THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS

803 7 0
By Saptaswapal

300 AC

DORNE

WATER GARDENS

OBERYN MARTELL

A group of riders clad in the yellow and orange of House Martell made their steady trek down the red-stone road for the Water Gardens. The sun overhead was blinding, and the heat caused the ground itself to sizzle, such was Dorne. But within the palace itself was an oasis of fountains and pools that served as a respite from the harsh conditions beyond its walls.

The gates of the Water Gardens were opened and the riders charged into the main courtyard, removing the wraps that protected their faces from the searing heat and sand to reveal the personal guard of Prince Oberyn Martell, who was himself dismounting his horse to throw his riding silks at a waiting squire.

"Prince Oberyn, welcome to the...." began Prince Doran's steward, who walked forward with a bow, only to be silenced by his master's younger brother placing a finger on his lips and walking past him.

"Doran!" Oberyn called, walking through the halls of the Water Gardens as he unwrapped his sweat-stained silks to drop them to the ground as he walked. "Doran!" Oberyn called again and again until he found the large and stalwart Areo Hotah guarding a pavilion where his regal but gout impaired brother was sitting.

"Move aside, Areo." Oberyn said dismissively walking past his brother's Captain to kneel before Doran.

"Brother." Oberyn greeted respectfully, only for Doran to curl his fingers upwards for Oberyn to rise.

"Brother. What brings you here with such haste? Good news, I hope." Doran Martell may have been smaller than his brother, but he commanded more power with his voice than any man in Dorne. He was a true ruler, wise beyond his years and often underestimated by his enemies. Save for a Young Wolf whose message was tucked into Oberyn's belt.

"One might say that." Oberyn smiled, walking towards a small table to pour himself a glass of pure Dornish red. He took a grateful sip from the goblet, before turning back to his brother.

"The Lannisters have fallen. King's Landing is taken by Robb Stark and his army." Oberyn said almost gleefully, causing Doran to raise an eyebrow.

"So quickly? I thought it will take at least a week for the capital to fall" Doran asked curiously causing Oberyn to shake his head as he took another gulp of wine.

They have all heard news about Robb Stark's victory at God's Eye. How he smashed the Lannister army that outnumbered him two to one.

Oberyn had said that the battle was the greatest victory in Westerosi history, greater that even Daeron Targaryen's conquest of Dorne. And while his brother Doran had disagreed on that, he had to admit that the victory was legendary.

"Our spies in the Capital reported that the Tyrells turned their cloaks against the Lannisters, when they saw they were out matched" Oberyn said gleefully "Serves them right".

"You seem overjoyed." Doran noted dryly, causing Oberyn to raise his hands.

"Are you not? Dead Lannisters are what we have always craved brother, and here the Young Wolf has offered us something to bring us into the fold. I say the boy is very smart." Oberyn pulled the letter from his belt and offered it to Doran who unfurled the scroll and read it once before freezing and having to read it several more times.

"To Prince Doran Martell

I'm afraid we've never met.  I am Robb Stark, son of Lord Eddard Stark of Winterfell.

I know what House Martell have lost, could never be returned. Just like your sister, I have lost my father to the treachery of the Lannisters.

I know that Dorne has always stayed out of the conflicts, happening in the rest of the Seven Kingdoms. But the war is now over.

I am writing this letter as one monarch to another. Come to King’s Landing not as an subject, but as equals. Come to King's Landing and support me. And in return I will give you the revenge that Dorne always desired.

As you have heard that Tywin and Amory Lorch are dead, so I cannot give them to you. But the Mountain is still my prisoner.

Swear me Dorne's fealty and he is Yours.

Robb Stark.  King in the North and King of the Trident".

"Justice…" Doran breathed, looking up to Oberyn who nodded.

"Dorne for the lives of one man?" Doran asked his brother, leaning back to place his chin thoughtfully in his hands. Oberyn rose from his seat.

"No. Dorne's loyalty to a man who will give us justice for Elia". Oberyn responded.

Doran remained silent and Oberyn narrowed his eyes.

"What are you hiding Doran" Oberyn finally snapped, tired of his brother's schemes and secrecy.

"If you will not do anything now, then I will go to King's Landing alone" Oberyn said impatiently "I don't care about Your great Schemes".

Doran seeing the conversation is slipping out of his hand replied quickly.

"Don't worry, that won't be necessary" Doran said smoothly "You can go to King's Landing with Dorne's fealty".

Oberyn huffed "Finally You see some sense" He answered "I will tell my daughters to be ready, we will sail tomorrow morning".

With that Oberyn turned and left, with an extra spring on his step. No doubt thinking about all the ways, to extract his revenge on the Mountain.

But while he was happy that Doran finally agreed with him on something. In the back of his mind he cannot help but  worry about Doran's shadow schemes.

Doran is hiding something, he can tell that his brother is not happy about this agreement, even though he always wanted revenge for Elia's murder.

He had to quickly find out whatever schemes Doran is planning, before it put House Martell and Dorne's very future in jeopardy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

300 AC

CROWNLANDS

KING'S LANDING

ROBB STATK

It has already been two days since he had captured the capital.

His men worked hard, removing the banners of Lions and Stags from the walls and replacing them with the Direwolf banners of House Stark.

Truth be told Robb is kind of bored. His element is in field of battle and not on a palace, where he didn't have much to do apart from writing various letters to the various lords of the Seven Kingdoms, inviting them to the capital.

So he had kept himself busy by spending his time with Roose Bolton, who he had charged with interrogating the prisoners.

Robb had placed Roose in charge of interrogating the prisoners, because he knows that Lord Bolton is the best when it comes towards interrogating someone for information.

He wanted to know, who were behind the plot for his father's death, and if he had to flay some prisoners to get the information, then so be it.

His most favourite prisoner is Grand Maester Pycelle. The old hag of a maester squealed like a pig, when Lord Bolton flayed his hands, and unable to bear the pain of torture, the old man told them everything about the plot.

He learned many information from the old maester. The first and foremost is that the previous Maester of Coin, Lord Baelish, also known as Littlefinger, was not only responsible for his father's death, but he was also behind the assassination of Lord Jon Arryn.

There also another surprise in the black cells. It looks like Tyrion Lannister and his companions were arrested, just like Robb had predicted Joffrey would do, when he send the letter.

Thinking about the prisoners, Robb's mind diverted towards the Tyrells, whom he had ordered to stay in their chambers under House arrest, for the time being, and under the watchful eyes of his men.

He shook his head remembering Olenna Tyrell and her demands. Robb had quickly reminded them that they were in no position to make demands. But it hadn't stopped the Queen Of Thrones from making subtle threats and insults under her sugary tone.

He just sighed, as he continued to make his way to the black cells, where all the prisoners were kept. The thought that his father was kept as a prisoner, in this dark place, had bothered Robb to no end.

But he kept his composer as he walked through the corridor of the black cells, until he reached the cell, he was looking for.

Robb was alone. He didn't have any of his battleguards with him and he was also unarmed. He was only carrying a burning torch in his left hand and a skin of water in his right.

There is only a single soldier guarding the cell, who quickly bowed, as he made his way to him.

"Your Grace" The guard, a bearded Northman, bowed.

Robb waved his courtesy "It's alright" he said and gestured towards the guard to open the door of the cell.

The guard quickly obeyed his King's silent order and opened the door.

"Thank You" Robb nodded, and entered the cell.

His prisoner, who was sitting in the corner of the dark cell looked up at him, no doubt disturbed by the light of the torch he was carrying.

"What are you doing here" Jaime asked monotonously "Are you here to goad about your victory, rub it on my face, huh?".

Robb just silently looked at Kingslayer for a few seconds, before he finally answered "No I am not here to goad" Robb said truthfully "I am just here to talk, but first drink". He said giving Jaime the skin of water he was carrying.

Jaime quickly and greedily gulped down the water and sighed in relief.

"Talk?" Jaime questioned, after he had  finished drinking "What is there to talk?".

"I want to Know the truth" Robb asked solemnly "Why?".

"Why, what?"

"Why did you kill the Mad King?" Robb finally asked.

Jaime just looked at the Stark King in silence before he asked "Why did you want to know about it?".

"Nothing, I am just curious" Robb shrugged "I don't have anything better to do".

"So I am just a storyteller to you" Jaime mocked.

"You can say that" Robb shrugged again "So tell me Lannister, why did you earn the title of Kingslayer?".

"Kingslayer" Jaime whispered harshly "Kingslayer. Oathbreaker. A man without honor." He continued, listing all nicknames he had been forced to endure for years upon years.

Jaime then looked at the Young Wolf in the eye "You've heard of wildfire?"

"Of course." The Stark King replied, curious as to where this was going.

"The Mad King was obsessed with it." Lannister replied, looking around the cell as if he was seeing the flashes of his own past life. A life, Robb was sure, Jaime would give anything to forget.

"The Mad King loved to watch people burn. The way their skin blackened and blistered and melted off their bones" Jaime whispered in a chilling tone "He burned lords he didn't like. He burned hands who disobeyed him. He burned everyone who was against him. Before long, half the country was against him."

"My Grandfather and uncle" Robb whispered.

"Yes Your Grandfather Rickard was burnt just like that" Jaime replied "While your uncle Brandon was strangled to death".

Robb bit his cheek in an effort to prevent himself from snapping at his prisoner. He wanted to shout at Jaime, wanted to ask, why didn't he tried to stop it.

But then Robb realised his own hypocrisy.

If Jaime tried to save Robb's grandfather and Uncle, he would have broken his oath to his King, if he intervened against Aerys's order.

Seeing that Robb is silent Jaime continued his story "Aerys saw traitors  everywhere. So he had his pyromancer place caches of wildfire all over the city." Robb's eyes widen at that. "Beneath the Sept of Baelor, and the slums of Flea Bottom. Under houses, stables, taverns. Even beneath the Red Keep itself."

Robb's mouth had now gone completely dry. If all those Wildfire exploded, it will result in a catastrophe.

"Finally, the day of reckoning came. Robert Baratheon marched on the capital after his victory at the Trident. But my father arrived first with the whole Lannister army at his back, promising to defend the city against the rebels" Jaime continued "I knew my father better than that. He's never been one to pick the losing side. I told the Mad King as much. I urged him to surrender peacefully."

Robb knew what happened next, but he didnt interrupt the Kingslayer.

"But the king didn't listen to me. He didn't listen to Varys who tried to warn him. But he did listen to Grand Maester Pycelle. That grey, sunken cunt." Jaime cursed before he mockingly said "'You can trust the Lannisters,' he said. 'The Lannisters have always been true friends of the crown.' So, we opened the gates and my father sacked the city."

Robb then leaned forward "What happened after that?".

"Don't you have any patience" Jaime ridiculed him.

Robb resisted the urge to hit the Kingslayer, in his golden face. Instead he just sighed "I don't have patience for your quips, tell me what happened next" he asked causing the Kingslayer to roll his eyes.

"With our defences crumbling I once again, I came to the King, begging him to surrender." By now, the man had tears in his eyes. The memories were so fresh on his mind, like steaks which were just seared. "He told me to… bring him my father's head."

"And that's when you stabbed him" Robb concluded.

"I am getting then" Jaime spat causing Robb's eyes to narrow in anger.

"After giving me the order, he turned to the pyromancer. 'Burn them all,' he said. 'Burn them in their homes. Burn them in their beds.'"

Robb just stared at him. If what the Kingslayer is saying is true, then he had saved a city of half a million people from a fiery death. While, no doubt, his intention was to save himself and his father's army, no one can deny that the deed was noble indeed.

He was broken out of his thoughts when Jaime continued speaking.

"Tell me Stark, what would you have done in that moment, ?" It looks like all the pain and anger, that Jaime had been storing is now poring out of his mouth, like a Volcano.

"I did what must be done, first, I killed the pyromancer. And then when the king turned to flee, I drove my sword into his back. 'Burn them all,' he kept saying. 'Burn them all.'" Jamie winced, no doubt recalling the harsh details of everything, that transpired that night. "I don't think he expected to die. He, he meant to burn with the rest of us and rise again, reborn as a dragon to turn his enemies to ash." He gave a small cackle at this part. "I slit his throat to make sure that didn't happen."

"And That's where my father found you."

A million questions swam in Robb's mind, but he asked the most important question of all. "If this is true, why didn't you tell anyone? Why didn't you tell my father?".

"Stark?" Jaime laughed "You think the honorable Ned Stark wanted to hear my side? He judged me guilty the moment he set eyes on me".

Robb closed his eyes. It was true, his father was quick to judge someone. He finally opened his eyes to look at Jaime.

"I have one last question" he asked Jaime "What happened to all those Wildfire catches, we're they disposed".

Jaime then shrugged "I don't know".

Robb's eyes bulged "Hold on" he demanded his voice quivering "You are telling me that there could be potentially tons of Wildfire beneath this very castle, and you didn't even bother to inform anyone about this".

Jaime shrugged again "Why does it matter?" He answered "It's been almost two decades, no doubt it has already lost it's flammable powers".

Robb resisted the urge to facepalm with great difficulty "No you fool" he grounded out "Just like wine, the Wildfire gradually becomes more powerful, with time".

Jaime paled at that information. Looks like he has finally realised what blunder he had made.

"I didn't knew that" Jaime whispered fearfully.

Robb just shook his head, before he turned his back on his prisoner and quickly left the cell.

He has work to do. He immediately needed to consult with his Lords and men, so they can plan a safe way to extract the Wildfire out of the city, without any risk.

Because if something bad happens with the Wildfire, then this entire city, along with it's half a million population, will be trued to ash in an instant.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
And Done!

So Robb is already strengthening his Kingship by making alliances, with House Martell by giving them the Mountain as compensation for their fealty.

While Oberyn is happy with this arrangement, Doran isn't as it is putting his schemes in jeopardy.

So as you can see Robb is putting Lord Bolton (and his flying arts) in charge of interrogating the prisoners. Damm I really pity the prisoners.

Now for the most important note:-

Jaime is my third favorite character in Asoiaf, just behind  Robb and Tywin, and I can't decide what to do with his fate. Should Jaime be executed or should he get a redemption.

I hope you like the conversation between Jaime and Robb, this was my favorite part in this chapter.

If you liked this chapter don't forget to leave a comment because remember reviews are a food for a writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210K 6.5K 93
When the snows fall and the white winds blow; the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. Aris Stark, eldest daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark is t...
149K 4.8K 71
"π‘Šπ‘œπ‘™π‘“'𝑠 π΅π‘™π‘œπ‘œπ‘‘," their father always called it. Could make a man or woman wild in a sense, unpredictable, and powerful. And when a violet-e...
1.7K 110 11
"When winter comes, her flame will light the way." Growing up in the North was something people did not take for granted; her family ruled the Icelan...
268K 6K 69
The Story of the eldest son of Eddard Stark. The first Artos Stark was known as Artos the Implacable. He was said to be the most fearsome warrior of...