Perfectly Wrong For Me

By CalmDeniseWrites

"Whatever you have that stupid grin on your face for, the answer is no. No smoking, no guns, none of your Maf... More

1. First Encounter
2. And, Action!
3. A-Hole
4. Lies, lies and more lies
5. He's back
6. Craps
7. How we met
8. Just Friends
9. Everyone needs a Val
10. Silly, Silly, Connor
11. Birthdays
12. Chapter Title: Unavailable
13. No panties
14. Eye contact is the key
16. Rest in Peace
17. Attention: Secured
18. Wasted
19. My treat
20. Target guy sucks
21. Butterflies
22. Secrets revealed
23. Act natural: Failed
24. Wedding things
25. Married.. or not?
26. Heartbreaks
27. The L Word
28. Ride or die
•Epilogue•
From the Author

15. Dinner With Stones

14.3K 489 417
By CalmDeniseWrites

Diana

"Don't forget I need you to do a night shift tomorrow, okay?" Edward says as I walk out of the hospital.

"Okay." I replied hurriedly. I was already late to dinner with Dante's family. I knew it wouldn't be long before he called looking for me.

Right as I said that, my phone began to ring, and I answered it as I sat at the bus stop.

"Where the hell are you?" Was Dante's first question.

"I'm at the bus stop w- wait, where are you?" I ask, hearing loud commotion through the phone.

"I'm here. Which you were supposed to be about fifteen minutes ago." He says, annoyance in his tone.

"I know, I know. I got off work a little later than I thought I would. Fiona won't be coming so I should be there soon."

Fiona and I had decided that since she was older, I could start letting her watch herself at home instead of asking someone to watch her. It had gone well when I went to the reunion with Dante, so I figured why not. I was still worried about her staying home alone, but I would have to trust nothing would happen to her.

"I'll pick you up. "

"No, I don't need your help. I'll get there in about fifteen minutes." I hang up before he has a chance to reply.

As I wait for the bus to arrive, I recall my day. It had to be one of the busiest yet. Between assisting Dr. Edward with the c section we had to perform, today being wash day for patients, meaning I had to wash and groom all elderly patients and to add on, one of our top nurses was sick.

When the bus arrives, after paying, I take a seat in the back where I usually sat. I had left my headphones at home by accident, so I would just have to look out the window today. Staring out the bus window, I can't help but think of what Dante's parents might think of me. If they were anything like Dante, I was doomed.

I assumed Dante's mom would be the nicest one. The little times he spoke about his family, he always had a smile on his face when he talked about her. Unlike when he spoke about his brother and father. I remembered him telling me about Carter. I couldn't decipher his thoughts on him. He wore the same unreadable expression as he did when he talked about his dad. I guess I would just have to wait and see.

As the driver turned to the left side of the road, I glanced at the trees that surround a barn and shuddered slightly. Memories of my childhood flood to my head. The man would always keep me in a barn that looked similar to the barn I saw now. The dark and cold nights I spent all alone in a barn full of viscous creatures waiting to treat me like I was a piece of meat.

But I'm not there anymore. I won't let them control me like that anymore. I'm safe now and I'll be damned if anyone will get close to doing that to me again.

I shake off the thoughts and feelings of my childhood, turning away from the barn as we get closer to Dante's neighborhood. The driver stops the bus at a bus stop which is about six houses from Dante's. I thank him and begin walking.

When I reach his place I step on Dante's, 'Go away.' mat outside of his door and try to prepare myself. I decide to act out the best way this can go.

"Hello, I am your son's girlfriend D-" I stomp my foot on the mat. "Damn-it Diana, it's fiance! Let's try this again."

I get back into character. Pretending I am speaking to Dante's parents.

"Hello, I am Dante's fiance, Diana Ambrose." I hold my hand out and pretend to shake his mom's hand.

"Well, aren't you lovely! You're so much prettier than Dante described you." I pretend to be his mom, speaking in a higher pitched voice.

I fake laugh. "You know your son likes to play stupid games,"

I lower my voice, pretending to be his dad.

"He definitely did not tell us you were this pretty."

I smile and wave a hand, "Why thank you, aren't you just the nicest old m-"

"Diana, what the fuck are you doing?" I jump at the sudden voice and turn around, facing the door to see Dante staring at me.

I laugh, "It's not what it looks like. S-see, I had just gotten done talking with your neighbor. Yeah that's it."

Dante still stares in confusion. He closes the door halfway and walks past me. Checking down the sidewalk. He comes back to the door, more confused. "There's no one there, though. "

I roll my eyes, refusing to be caught. "I wasn't talking to myself alright. Can we just drop it?"

He furrows his eyebrows and lifts his hands. When he is about to speak, he shuts his mouth.

"Okay, so let's get this over with." I try to walk past him and into the house, but he moves me back to the mat with his arm.

"Not yet. It's hectic in there."

"What do you mean?"

He stratches the back of his head, "Daniel is here, My pops, ma, aunt, and brother. "

"Okay?"

"I'm saying don't expect any pg shit like your friends. You're gonna need to play your part with ace tonight. They'll see right through us if not. Trust me, they don't miss anything. "

I begin to worry and he pats my shoulder. "Don't worry though. It'll be fine."

He opens the door without giving me a chance to prepare again, and I let out a deep breath before stepping inside. I am instantly met with yelling and commotion.

There is a tall, long dark haired woman who I assume is Dante's mom shouting streams of Spanish at Detective Daniel at the table. A taller short dark haired man who I assume is his dad, laughing and talking to a man who appears to be a little older than Dante with the same hair color. And coming down the stairs is a short woman with long curly brown hair talking loudly on the phone.

My eyes are wide as I stare at everyone, and Dante chuckles at my reaction. "Told you."

"Wow." is all I manage to reply.

Dante laughs again and wraps his arm around my waist as he leads us to meet his mom. I try to not to react at his hand, knowing he is only playing his part.

Dante puts his hand on his mom's shoulder as she continues to yell at Daniel.

"Ma, Ma, relájate. Esta es mi prometida de la que les estaba hablando. Diana."

He speaks Spanish?

His mother stops yelling and turns to me after Dante says this. She looks me up and down, glances back between Dante and I with a smile. Putting her attention on us now, she replies, "Diana! Mucho gusto, ¿tú hablas español?"

I had learned a little Spanish living with Lily in my teenage years.

"No, lo siento. Yo hablo Ingles."

She nods and embraces me in a hug. I am taken aback by the hug, and Dante grins at my reaction.

"No worries, Dante doesn't know much either." She replies, stepping back.

Dante narrows his eyes, "Yes, I do. You think I sat through those Spanish lessons you forced me to go to for nothing."

"Was that before or after you became a criminal, Mr. Stone?" Daniel asks and Dante and his mom both turn to him with the same expression. The kind of look that just radiated 'I hate you' in every way possible.

Dante's jaw ticks and his mom begins to shout again. When she does this, Dante turns to her.

"Ma, don't start. Tonight is going to be chill, remember? Just sit at the table and I'll be right back." He kisses her forehead before placing his hand back around my waist and leading us to the curly haired woman whose back is to us.

"She only speaks Spanish." He whispers just before she turns around.

She eyes me up and down the same way his mom did and squints her eyes before speaking. "Trajiste un chico pelirrojo?"

Dante smiles at the woman and grins at me, "Si, una bonita también."

Wonder what that means. Probably an insult or something by that stupid grin he's giving me.

She pinches his cheek as she responds, "Ten cuidado chico, esos son los fiestos."

Dante grins again, speaking to the woman but staring at me. "Así es como me gustan."

Dante and the woman talk a little more before she goes and takes a seat at the table and Dante leads me to his dad and what I believe is his brother. They immediately stop talking and stare at Dante.

"Who's this?" His dad asks

"My fiance, Diana."

"How come I'm just hearing about her now?" He responds with annoyance.

"Because I'm just telling you about her now, dad." Dante replies in the same tone.

His dad and Dante stare at each other for a while before his brother greets me with a handshake. Soon everyone is seated at the table. As Dante makes the bowls, small chatter falls through the table. Dante's mom speaking to me, the aunt speaking to Detective Daniel and his dad still talking to his brother.

I feel comfortable as I talk to Dante's mom. She tells me about all the people she knows that can help plan the wedding and how she's always wanted a daughter-in-law. It felt good to talk to her. I felt like I had known her for years already. She was the type of woman that just instantly filled the room with happiness just by walking in. She had a mix of fierce, badass, and just the right amount of kindness. The perfect combination that made me instantly like her.

"Babe, could you help me with the soup in here!" Dante shouts from the kitchen.

I smile at his mom and tell her I will be back before going to the kitchen. I grab one of the bowls of soup Dante is holding and glare at him. "I told you not to call me that."

He doesn't pay attention, only watches the soup move in the bowl. "Don't hold it like that. It took me two goddamn hours to make. "

I grab another bowl and start to walk to everyone else. "Two hours? Wow t-"

"Diana, pay attention." Dante says as I walk out of the kitchen.

"Why? Scared I'm going to-"

I accidentally trip on the leg of a chair, the soup falls as I try to regain balance and I wince.

"Oww!" I hear someone yell in pain. I turn around and my mouth goes agape when I see I have spilled soup on Detective Daniel's pants.

I immediately go to get napkins and kneel at his chair.

Dammit, Diana! No way in hell he's going to get off Dante's ass now.

I begin to wipe the soup from his pants hurriedly and as I wipe, I hear Daniel say something but can't quite hear.

"Huh?"

"That's it, baby."

My hand instantly stops on his leg, and I look up slowly. Daniel doesn't try to hide the smirk on his face, and I am filled with rage and disgust.

I look back, looking for Dante and see he is still in the kitchen. I get up and storm into the kitchen.

"What happened?" Dante asks, seeing my eyebrows furrowed.

"Give me another bowl of soup."

He hands one to me and I make my way back to Daniel.

"Thank y-"

I tip the bowl to the side, making the hot soup fall to Daniel's crotch.

"What the hell!" He shouts, rubbing his pants hastily. Everyone has gotten louder, preventing anyone from acknowledging what happened and I smile to myself as I walk back to the kitchen.

Perv.

I manage to calm back down, by the time everyone is seated at the table and eating.

Holy shit

I think to myself as I sit back in the chair. The soup was the best damn soup I had ever had. With just the amount of flavor, enough onions and tomatoes, it was a masterpiece. Maybe I would compliment Dante on it.

"So why are you really with my son, Diana?" Dante's dad asks, leaning back in his chair. I can tell he has had a few drinks too many, by the way his words slur.

"Dad, don't start this shit. "

"I'm just asking the girl a question."

I lean forward, bringing my attention to his dad. Resting my hands under my chin, I fake a smile and respond, "Your father is right, Dante. I am with your son for many reasons, Mr. Stone. Money not being one of them. "

Liar.

His dad smiles, "No need to get defensive, sweetheart. I'm just looking out for my son. I'm sure you are not in it for the money. Perhaps, it has something to do with law help. Maybe you need someone to take the blame for your actions?"

I grow angry at his assumptions, but before I am able to respond, Dante speaks.

"Dad, Diana isn't involved in anything. So drop whatever the hell you're talking about before this turns into something."

"Sir, I would never be involved in anything like that. I have a daughter and would never think of putting her through anything like that. Perhaps you should check your own background."

"Daughter?" He asks, smiling wider.

"Christian, shut your mouth right now." Dante's mother warns.

"Well, that must be why my son is with you. He needs a replacement for Willow!''

Dante's mom stands up and slams her hand on the table. "Christian!" She shouts.

Dante stares at his dad with pure hatred in his eyes.

Boy, if looks could kill Christian would be a goner right now.

Dante stares at him for a little longer before getting up from the table. I rush after him as he walks away.

"Where are you going?" I ask, trying to catch up to his long strides in the living room.

When we reach the front door, he takes the box of cigarettes from his pants pocket and holds up a cigarette, "Cigarette break." He replies, not looking at me, and walks out.

I was curious who Willow was, but it was none of my business. I walk back to the table and see Dante's mom yelling at his dad. Dante's brother comes up to me.

"So things got kind of hectic huh?" He asks, chuckling.

I don't know why, but something told me he was bad news. I just had a guy feeling.

Maybe I'm just being judgemental.

"Yep."

He doesn't respond, and we stand in awkward silence for a minute. As I am about to walk away, he speaks again.

"Dante hasn't been getting in any trouble, right?"

"What?"

"Well, you know, older brother duties. What's he been doing? Has he done anything illegal, maybe? I just want to report it."

"Report it? What do you mean by that?"

He smacks his head. "Did I say report? I meant resort. Which means sort it out in my lingo. So, has he?" He leans forward, waiting for a response, and the gut feeling grows higher.

"I-"

"Don't answer a damn thing, Diana." I hear Dante say. I turn around and find him walking closer.

He walks past us and stands in front of the dinner table. Everyone stops speaking and waits for him to talk.

"I want all of you out of my house." He orders and complaints start to fill the room. "I mean it gets the fuck out of my house. Daniel, you got your dinner. If you don't believe it's real you have my fucking number," Dante begins walking to the door and after more complaints, everybody follows.

I am the first to the door and Dante stops me, "Not you." He whispers in my ear as everyone reaches the door. I would have protested but it would have seemed fishy for me to get mad at staying with 'Fiance'

His mom is behind me and she kisses his cheek, "Dinner was lovely."

He half smiles, "Call me when you get home."

After saying goodbye to me, his mom leaves and his brother and dad are next.

His dad has seemed to calm down. He pats Dante's shoulder and I watch Dante stiffen. "Handle it or you'll be next in line, boy. " I hear him whisper as Carter tells me goodbye.

What the hell does he mean by that?

Next is his aunt and since she is on the phone, she blows a kiss to us before she leaves.

Dante shuts the door and walks past me. I follow behind him as he walks up the steps. He reaches his room and we both flop on the bed in exhaustion. He exhales deeply.

"Wow."

That had to be the most tiring dinner I had ever had.

"Hell of a dinner wasn't it?"

"Mm-hmm."

"You think Daniel's gonna lay off?"

I roll my eyes at the mention of that pervert.

"Not a chance. I think he enjoys watching us make a fool or ourselves trying to convince him. How much longer do you think we have to do this, anyway?"

"I don't know, Diana. But I can't go to prison. So however long it is, we'll have to manage. You've been doing great, anyway. I believe you'll be able to manage."

We stare at his ceiling as we lay in comfortable silence. Laying on Dante's silk sheets made me want to give into the urge to fall asleep and I couldn't do that.

I sit up and find something to distract myself, and it isn't long before I find something. I spot the birthdate tattoo I had seen before on Dante's arm. It stood out amongst the others. I was sure it had a meaning.

Before I knew it, I found myself tracing the tattoo. I feel him shiver at my touch.

Must be cold.

"What does it mean?"

"What?" He asks

"The tattoo. This date tattoo on your arm. It must be a birthdate for someone. So, what's the meaning behind it?"

"Does it matter?"

"To me. Yeah it does."

After a while of silence, he sighs. "The day my daughter was born." He responds, still staring at the ceiling.

"You have a daughter? " I reply in shock.

So that was the girl in the picture.

"She's not uh here anymore. She passed away when she was four months."

"Oh." I lay back down. "I am so sorry, Dante. "

I felt sympathy for Dante. I couldn't imagine what losing a daughter would be like.

He shrugs. "We were grateful she was able to go that long. The doctor said she would only make it to two months. Her mother drank constantly while she was pregnant, not to mention the things she did. And I was young and stupid, didn't know how to care for a pregnant woman." He cracks his knuckles and stops.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, Dante."

Please, please, please, tell me.

"It's fine. One day, she just kind of dozed off, just learned to sit up all the way too. She never woke up. It was devastating. I didn't eat for weeks, started smoking and on top of that, after her funeral, I found out her mother was cheating on me with my brother. I went home that night and my dad offered me the chance to become the leader of his mafia. So I took it. Figured it'll distract me from everything,"

He laughs quietly. "And here I am now. Laying next to my fake fiance who is nosey as hell. "

Dante sits up, and I follow his actions. "What about you? What's the meaning behind that tattoo above your ass?"

What the hell? He knows about that?

I stare at him surprised, "You know about that?"

"I notice a lot about you. Like how you laugh when you're nervous, panic on a daily basis and you have an abnormal obsession with Kelly Clarkson's music."

I thought no one knew about that. Not that I cared. My obsession with Kelly Clarkson's music was perfectly normal.

"You saw my playlist for her?"

"You have a whole playlist for her? Seriously Diana, you're fucking obsessed."

I laugh at that and he joins. When I stop, he smirks, "So, what's the meaning?"

I sit up straighter and sigh before responding. "Alright, um, Valentina and I had made a bet. It was stupid and I regret it to this day. Anyway, we were caffeine addicts. Like nine to ten cups a day. So we made a bet of whoever could go a week without drinking coffee and the loser would have to let the winner choose a tattoo design and where to put it. I lost, and she chose to put 'Juicy.' right above my ass."

He laughs again and smiles. "Is the tattoo right? Is your ass juicy, Diana?"

I roll my eyes, pick up the pillow next to me, and throw it at him. "Shut up." I say as he dodges it.

Getting up from the bed I hear his hearty laugh, "Ah come on Diana, don't be like that. Let's just go sit down and have a nice juicy burger."

"I hate you." I respond, walking out of his room. I hear him follow behind me and when he gets silent, I know what he is doing.

"Stop looking at my ass, Dante." I turn and glance back, finding him staring at my ass as I had thought. He licks his lips as I turn back around.

"Just admiring the beauty, baby."

•••

Hey Becky with the good hair (or Mary or whatever your name is)!

Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter and if you did please, vote, comment and share!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

500K 18.6K 31
"Now you listen to me and you listen good! I don't give a shit in what you think about me because guess what? I could care less! You mean NOTHING to...
40K 1.5K 58
Disclaimer: Any edit used in this book is mine. The pictures, however, have been taken from Pinterest and does not belong to me. Credit for the book...
294K 9.5K 41
♜ 𝐀 𝐌𝐚𝐟𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 ♜ (Not edited, a first draft) When two different people with two very different paths in life collide, there is not a...
325K 6.2K 31
WARNING MATURE CONTENT: MENTION OF GRAPHIC CONTENT ABUSE, MURDER, THE USE OF DRUGS WITH MATURE LANGUAGE AND MATURE SCENES. VIEWERS DISCRETION...