back to you | paul atreides

By almiti

❝we have different destinies, paul.❞ ❝bullshit. we choose our own destinies, and i choose you. over and over... More

one
two
three
four
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
book cover contest
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
fourty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty

five

23.3K 569 310
By almiti

i have some questions for readers so don't forget to check my a/n at the end of this chapter! <3

Specks of gold fill the air. I'm sitting in the middle of the desert. I move my hands through the soft sand and stare up at the sky. The sun is setting and the clouds are painted a beautiful blood orange, signalling that tomorrow will be a beautiful day.

I look to my side expecting to see Paul, but he isn't there. Instead, I see him standing from afar staring back at me, except his eyes are blue. Beside him is someone else. A girl. Her eyes are blue, too.

My world changes. The sun is now gone and replaced by a dark room.

I'm standing amongst the House of Harkonnens. In front of me is Baron Harkonnen occupying his throne. To my side is a boy with dark hair and heavy shoulders. I look down. We're holding hands.

I opened my eyes but was immediately blinded by the natural light that shined directly onto my face. I squeezed my eyes shut and shifted so that my back faced the window.

"Lia?"

I opened my eyes to see Paul sitting up straight in his seat, clearly having just woken up as well.

His eyes widened at the sight of me and he was at my side in a second. He grabbed hold of me and pulled me into a gentle hug.

I tried to hug him back but realized my arms were tugging at different wires and cords that had been attached to me. He pulled away and stared at me with pain. His eyes were red and he had dark circles under his eyes, he looked exhausted.

"How are you feeling?" He attempted a smile but I could tell it was forced.

"I feel," I sat up to cough, realizing how badly my throat burned. "Like I just inhaled a bunch of smoke." I managed to joke with a raspy voice.

His smile turned sad. "I should have gotten to you faster. I'm sorry."

I shook my head at him. "None of this was your fault. If anything, you saved my life."

He looked away. "I thought if anything I almost ended it." He sighed and met my eyes again. "I can't believe that last thing you would have remembered of me was that I was ignoring you." he shook his head in shame.

"Paul," I couldn't help but smile. "Shut up." I finally got to tell him.

My best friend managed a genuine smile at my attempt to make him laugh.

My expression faltered as I remembered how I left Lady Jessica near the gardens after she passed out. A wave of panic and guilt washed over me.

"Your mom?" I asked frantically. "Is she okay?"

Paul nodded reassuringly. "My mom is fine. Whatever it was that she smelled only knocked her down for a few minutes. She was fine when she woke up." He took another look at me. "If anything, it was you we were all worried about..."

I grinned at him. "Please, I totally had it under control. 5 more minutes and I would've taken the guy down."

Paul shook his head and laughed. "I guess I'm sorry for stealing your moment from you."

I tilted my head. "What happened to him anyway?"

His eyes darkened and he stared down at his hands. "I killed him."

We were both silent. Neither of us had ever experienced a real fight before, never so much as killing someone. At least, not until last night.

"How do you feel?" I asked him gently.

He hesitated. "Every time I start to feel guilty, I remember holding you in my arms thinking you were going to die."

I couldn't imagine killing someone. I've spent my entire life learning to fight for myself and my house, but I wasn't inherently designed to kill. It went against the Great Convention. It went against our human nature.

"Thank you." I grabbed hold of his hand and squeezed. "For saving my life." He looked up and managed a small smile.

"How are you doing?" He asked me. His eyes moved to my neck and I suddenly remembered I'd nearly bled to death the night before.

"I feel good." I nodded confidently. "My throat is sore but I can talk fine. Did he get me bad?"

He shook his head no. "Thankfully not. He cut you enough to make you bleed out, but didn't puncture anything important."

I brought my hand to my neck and gently touched the bandage that covered my wound. The pressure irritated it and I winced.

"Careful," Paul warned. "It's gonna hurt for a while."

I nodded. I looked behind him to where he was sitting before to see two blankets laid across the chairs and a pillow on its side.

"Did you sleep here?" I asked him.

"Of course," He looked at me as if I were crazy. "Lia, I thought you were going to die. I couldn't leave you."

My heart swelled knowing my friend wouldn't have left my side. I knew if the roles were reverse I would have done the same for him.

"I guess I thought maybe because of how you were feeling yesterday you wouldn't..." I trailed off, not sure what I wanted to say.

He rolled his eyes and ran a hand through his messy black hair. "I... I'm sorry. Everything with the Reverend Mother it just... It all got to me." He gave me a pained expression. "The guards brought us to the safe room but you weren't there and I panicked. I had to find you." He paused and looked me up and down. "I'm pretty glad that I did."

The two of us let out a laugh. Yes, it was clear to me that he may have been the difference of life or death for me in those moments.

My laughter died and I glanced out the window. "Where's my dad?"

Paul sighed. "Your dad was here earlier and trust me he wanted to stay, but after everything went down my parents went to meet with the Emperor right away so your dad had to go with them." He bit his lip and his expression darkened. "Apparently the Harkonnens sent one of their men to find my father. That's who he was, the man that tried to kill you."

The window faced grounds where Lady Jessica and I spent our evening walk yesterday. My stomach turned. I looked away.

"Don't worry," He added quickly. "They should be back soon. They'll be able to tell us everything that happened."

I nodded. Paul seemed confident that things would work out, so even if I had a feeling that wasn't true I still had to show him I was alright.

"So..." I began, a hesitant smile reaching my face. "Did you want to talk about the Reverend Mother?"

To my relief he nodded and returned my smile. I moved over to make space for him on my cot. Paul climbed in beside me and began update me on his latest interaction with the Bene Gesserit.

***

Paul and I waited side by side in the entrance way for our parents' return. We both anticipated some sort of political change, most likely bad.

Paul was never one to hide his emotions from me. As far as I knew, he told me everything and I did the same. There were never any secrets between us, so you could imagine my surprise when he suddenly closed himself off to me.

Hawat was the first to enter the castle. Both Paul and I stood up straight and greeted him.

"Your parents are just behind me." He assured us and stepped to the side of the hall to let them pass.

Lady Jessica and Duke Leto came into view and I saw their faces shift at the sight of me. Lady Jessica rushed towards me to engulf me in a hug.

She cupped my cheeks and checked my face for any cuts. "We were so worried, Ophelia." She met my eyes. "I'm so glad to see that you're doing better now."

I returned her hug and smiled. From behind her the Duke gave me a gentle nod, his way of showing his affection.

"You too, Lady Jessica." I told her. "I'm glad to see the Harkonnen didn't hurt you."

Her expression darkened. "It was a foul trick. A smart one, though, to his credit." She clicked her tongue and shook her head. "I'm alright, though. I'm glad to see that you are too."

"Ophelia."

I looked up to see my dad standing in the doorway. Lady Jessica released me and I ran towards my dad who I could tell was trying to hold back his emotions.

He pulled me into a tight hug and kissed the side of my head. "I'm glad you're okay," He whispered to me.

I nodded and smiled into his shoulder. "I'm okay."

A few moments passed and I finally found the courage to release my dad. Paul greeted his parents before clearing his throat.

"So," He started off slowly. "Any news?"

Lady Jessica and Duke Leto exchanged looks. "Well, the Emperor has confirmed that we are to take over the planetary fief of Arrakis."

I glanced over at Paul who had his eyes set on his father. "When do we leave?"

His father took a breath and looked around the castle. "Within the next few days, at most."

No one spoke. A few days was a lot sooner than I could have predicted. That meant I had less than a week to gather my things and say goodbye to the castle I've called home my entire life.

"If you'll excuse me, I have some packing to do." The Duke spoke quietly, unable to contain himself. I realized that this wasn't just my home I was saying goodbye to, but it was everyone else's, too.

The Duke and Lady Jessica exited the corridor. Before I had the chance to follow after Paul, Hawat called out to me.

"Miss Ophelia?" He asked.

I turned to face him. "Yes, Hawat?"

He paused, looking around before he spoke. "I was hoping to have a quick word with you."

I nodded, allowing him to continue. He swallowed.

"I know that Duke Leto and Lady Jessica would never even consider this because they would never want to put you in this position," He lowered his voice. "But as you know our relationship with the Harkonnens is very frail, and the events of yesterday may have pushed things over the edge."

I nodded again. "I agree. Why do you mention it?"

Hawat hesitated. "Please, Miss Ophelia, take no offence when I say this, but the emperor did make a suggestion on how we could settle whatever feud it was that existed between the two houses..."

"Yes?" I ushered him, curious to know what he had to say.

"Are you familiar with Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen?"

"I am," I told him. "He's the heir to the House of Harkonnen."

He sighed. "Yes. Well, I know how much the Atreides family means to you so I don't mean this lightly when I suggest this, but there is something that you could do to prevent unnecessary war."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Which is..?"

"Marry him."

***

what are your thoughts? should she marry feyd-rautha lol?

anyway, i had a question to ask everyone - would you be interested in a book cover contest? i pulled the cover i have rn straight off google lmao and im not creative enough to make something myself. the only thing is that i'd need to know if there would be people willing to both submit covers and also participate in voting. please comment to let me know if you'd be interested in submitting a cover if i made this a thing!!!

obviously i don't have any rules or details yet, i just wanted to know your thoughts. if i get a good reaction within the next few days i'd love to post some details!! i will keep you guys updated

with love and happy reading
via <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.8K 773 30
Mara "the cruel" Atreides was many things. Since a young age she showed no interest in the Bene Gesserit but rather in fighting. For that reason she...
18.6K 508 15
Feyd Rautha x Fem!OC character As daughter of Lady Jessica and Duke Leto Atreides, Amaris Atreides is being forced into an arranged marriage with Na...
11.7K 245 5
Irulan Corrino always knew she'd marry for political reasons, not for affection. She didn't know she'd fall in love with Paul Atreides, but she did...
1.1M 31.7K 48
❝heaven help a fool who falls in love.❞ in which, after four years, timothée chalamet reconnects with a girl he once knew, and probably loved. ❨ timo...