forty one

Weeks, maybe even months were dedicated towards learning, teaching and preparing

Weeks, maybe even months were dedicated towards learning, teaching and preparing. Time passed rather slowly while Paul trained the Fremen in preparation for an attack. I didn't know all of the details, I'm not sure if Paul really knew either, but once Paul had trained the Fremen in his  combat skills and they had trained us in their own, we would be really ready to take back Arrakis.

"Lia! Lia!" 

The small girl's voice draw my attention and I looked up from my son to see her small figure bouncing towards me. It had only been mere weeks since her birth and here she was, able-bodied, having matured physically as if she were at least two-years-old. She was growing at an alarming rate, though we knew there was something odd about her. She was different. That much was evident from her accelerated growth.

I was currently sitting on a bench off to the side rocking Leto as he slept while I watched Paul instruct a group of older Fremen in his combat skills. Stilgar and Paul decided the best course of action would be to combine abilities, making sure both we and the Fremen are fluent in each other's ways.

My father was perfect for that role, and I was happy that it finally gave him something to do. Both Paul and my father would train with the Fremen regularly, and so would I when I was able to pull myself away from Leto for an hour or two at a time. I was still attached to my child, I couldn't handle being without him.

Alia bounced her way to my side. As she reached me she looked over at the training group being led by her brother and thought to lower her tone. A few of the trainees gave her side-glances and I could see her posture slouch in embarrassment.

She was speaking, communicating. Even if she were to be no more than two years old, she was incredibly well spoken. From the moment she was born it was as if she already knew everything she needed to know. We discovered that her touch could communicate with you and make you see what she wants you to see, but most curiously, her touch allowed her to see into you

There were no surprises with this girl anymore. As abnormal as it was for her to be growing at a speed four times faster than normal, she continued to defy our expectations. Her abilities were remarkable, but many of the other Fremen didn't exactly see it as such.

"Lia, I just saw something wonderful." Alia shifted restlessly from one foot to another, eager to tell me her story. 

"What did you see?" I smiled. She noticed Leto in my arms who, unlike her, was growing at a normal rate. She stepped onto the bench I was sitting on to get a better look. I turned my body towards her so she could see her nephew.

"Hi baby Leto," she cooed and offered him her finger to grab before gathering her thoughts again, "oh goodness, it was incredible. I was playing with the other children but we could hear one of the pregnant women in pain. They told us to stay away but, oh Lia, I just couldn't! I had to see it for myself."

I grinned at her excited smile while she let her eyes travel across our surroundings, unable to focus on one thing. It was odd to hear her young voice mixed with fully formed sentences.