two

The afternoon sun filled the training quarters with natural light

The afternoon sun filled the training quarters with natural light. Although spontaneous, this training session wasn't too different from our typical schedule.

Every time I tried to make casual conversation Paul was quick to shut it down. Instead, we fought each other in silence with nothing but our laboured breaths and grunting to fill the room.

Paul went for my legs to pull me to the ground. His grip made my knees bend and I fell to the ground on my side. I responded quickly by pulling my legs and trapping his head between my thighs.

I twisted my torso and managed to escape his grasp. I gripped my knife tightly, my other hand held up in defence. Keeping low, I watched Paul adjust himself before he went for his next move. 

He inched closer to me, waiting for my own reaction. Suddenly I found his foot hooking itself around my ankle to trip me. One of my knees dropped to the ground but I instinctively ducked through his legs and used my own feet to pull on his ankles.

He lost his balance and fell forward. My feet still locked with his, I used my torso to spin the both of us so we were laying on our backs, feet to feet.

Paul was fast, but I was faster. I used my legs to pull myself closer to him and mounted his torso, grabbing his wrists that were both reaching for my neck.

I ripped the knife from his hand and threw it across the room before pulling his arms above his head to pin them to the ground. I used my other hand to hold my dagger to his jugular. 

We stayed like that for a few seconds, me straddling him with his arms pinned, my knife digging into his shield. He made an attempt to pull his feet free, but I still had his feet in a lock with mine. I pressed my knife harder, waiting for his tap out.

"You win." He managed through his laboured breathing with a cheeky smile, although he made no attempt to escape my hold on him. 

"I taught her that."

We both looked over to see my father standing in the doorway. I quickly removed myself from Paul to address him. Paul followed my lead, a few movements behind and a lot more flustered than I. 

"That was smooth," my dad nodded in my direction. "But you let your guard down way too many times. And you," He turned his head to Paul. "You should be taking advantage of those moments of hesitation. There were plenty of opportunities where you could have taken control."

Paul shrugged. "I was just going easy on her. I wanted to give her the chance to win."

I shoved his shoulder playfully. "Yeah, sure. I don't need your ego boost, I already know I'm good enough to fight you."

"Well, hopefully this extra practice made for a great warm-up, because I'm about to push you real hard." My dad patted Paul on the back as he made his way toward the collection of knives.

I was tired and sticky, so I made my way to the door to let the two of them have their training session.

"See you later, yeah?" Paul asked me from the centre mat. I looked back and nodded.

"For sure," I answered with a smile before exiting the room.

I felt the heat reach my cheeks as I thought about my dad walking in on us fighting. I wasn't even sure why I would be embarrassed - the two of us were training and my dad caught us in a comprising position. But I'm not going to call it a compromising position because it was just a natural and instinctive part of fighting, and to say otherwise would be to admit there was something else to it. And there wasn't. 

The rest of my day went by quickly. I managed to complete my studies for the day, knowing Lady Jessica would most likely scold me if I didn't. I considered wandering around to find Paul, but I knew that would be unfair. Paul had countless things to learn and duties to fulfil. Being the Heir to the House of Atreides was not an easy job, and I didn't want to make it harder for my friend simply because I desired his company.

I was comforted knowing he requested to meet later in the day. How much later in the day I didn't know, but as usual, I would let him find me. It wasn't my busy schedule that we had to work around.

He and I were the only two students to occupy Castle Caladan. Everyone else was either too old to resume their studies or held an occupational residence while they served the Duke, similarly to my father's situation.

As a Warmaster and one of Paul's teachers, Gurney Halleck couldn't complete his responsibilities from afar. But he also couldn't leave me, his only daughter and family, without anyone to care for me. Thankfully, my father's friendship with the Duke made it possible for me to follow him here.

I've never had an issue living in Castle Caladan. I've always been grateful to be raised in such a beautiful home with a quality education. I had been completing my studies alongside Paul since we were children. It only made sense, and I think our families realized it made both of us less lonely. 

I jumped at the sound of Paul groaning as he took a seat beside me on a bench. I had stepped outside and onto one of the many balconies to watch the water.

"I'm exhausted." He slouched back in his seat.

I move my eyes to the horizon. "Good thing the day's coming to the end."

He followed my gaze to the setting sun. The clouds reflected a beautiful bold orange colour that filled the sky, indicating that the day was coming to an end.

"Did you ever used to wonder how the sky changed colour during sunset?" I asked.

He tilted his head. "What do you mean."

I paused for a moment, taking another look at the varying colours of clouds. "Well, I used to think it had something to do with magic. I thought maybe, I don't know, unicorns or pegisides would fly through the clouds and paint them different colours to warn us about the weather for tomorrow."

Paul snorted.

I laughed and shook my head. "It sounds silly now, but it made sense at the time." I looked back at him. "So, did you ever have some explanation for sunsets?"

He thought about it for a quick second before answering. "Um, I've never thought about it really. I guess I just associated it to the end of the day..."

He continued to stare at the horizon, his thoughts clearly lingering on something else. I could tell he was deep in thought from the slight expression of worry etched in his features.

"What's on your mind?" I asked quietly, gently placing a hand on his arm.

"What?" He pulled himself out of thought. "Nothing."

It was clear to me it wasn't nothing. "Is it your dreams again?" I asked carefully.

"Dreams are meaningless," He answered quickly and without emotion, looking away from me and back towards the sunset. "They're nothing but a product of our evolution."

Before I could think of a response, a voice spoke from behind us. "Your families are waiting for you in the Dining Hall."

I turned my head to see one of the caretakers bow to Paul before making their way back to inside. I returned my attention to Paul, ready to press him for more information, but he was already making his way inside.

***

wrote this one sober with a clear head! im not sure where exactly i want to go with this story, i dont really want to get into the politics of dune but still want to follow the plot ? who knows what i'll do, i'll probably make up some of my own stuff haha. 

sorry again for the short chapter? i might stick to short chapters for now since i dont always have the time to write because of school, but i still want to be able to post stuff and have no idea when the next time i'll touch the next chapter. so short chapters are better than none at all!

with love
via <3