Two Rules

By AlexiaArrowood

*Started May 2021* *Completed 6.27.22* *Currently being edited* When Scarlett Nelson applied to Clarkson Univ... More

⭐︎Characters
Chapter One- "Scarlett Newman"
Chapter Two- "Shit"
Chapter Three- "you don't have any exes?"
Chapter four- game one
chapter five: "you are not my boyfriend"
chapter six: "i don't mind saving you"
chapter seven: "what happens now"
chapter eight: "okay"
chapter nine: "I'm not dating anyone"
Chapter ten: "I'm sorry I killed the mood"
Chapter eleven: "no, coach, she isn't"
chapter twelve: "never have i ever"
Chapter thirteen: Cornell Game
Author's Note!
chapter fourteen: "not coach and captain"
chapter fifteen: "I want to"
chapter sixteen: banquet pt. 1
chapter seventeen: banquet pt. 2
chapter eighteen: Halloween
chapter twenty: "taking a break"
chapter twenty-one: "They're fucking!"
Chapter twenty-two: "uh, used to be figure skater"
Chapter twenty-three: the start of the end
Chapter twenty-four: "sometimes it can't be about me"
chapter twenty-five: "You're not a distraction"
Chapter twenty-six: "really? It's all over?"
epilogue
Sequel out now!
Bonus Chapter: Andrew and Nat
Bonus Chapter: ECAC Championship

chapter nineteen: "You belong in an ice arena, not a grass stadium"

14.7K 198 25
By AlexiaArrowood

Tuesday November 2nd

"Bella! Chloe! Suite meeting!" I yell through the bathroom.

Bella and Chloe come walking through the shared bathroom and sit down.

"What's up?" Bella is the first to ask.

"The game this Saturday is too far to go to, so what are our plans while the boys are gone?"

"Frats?" Chloe suggests.

Bella nods, "can I bring someone?"

"Someone, as in a girlfriend someone?" Nat teases.

"Maybe, not yet, but maybe. Her name is Vanessa and she's in my bio class."

We all make excited noises for Bella's possible date and force her to bring up her Instagram so we can see a picture.

"Alright, as much as I have loved this gossip session, I have to get to class." Chloe pouts.

"Same, I'll walk with you." I agree.

"I don't have jack-shit to do today" Bella grins and climbs onto my bed and turns the TV on.

"Sure, Bell, you can use my TV and bed, go for it."

She blows a kiss at me as I laugh and get my shoes on.

"Hey I won't be here tonight when you get back from classes, just so you guys know." Nat announces.

"Where are you going?" Chloe asks.

"Just to a friend's house, they're in one of my classes and we have a test coming up."

I can tell, she's lying. I go up to her and hug her, but also whisper in her ear, "we'll talk later, have fun with Andrew."

She pulls back with wide eyes and I only wink at her before leaving with Chloe.

I'm not blind, I see the way those two act around each other. The kiss on Halloween, her jealousy about him flirting with other girls, the fact that she always sleeps in his room on his "futon." It's clear to me that something is going on, I just don't think anyone else has noticed yet.

Chloe and I walk to class and talk about possible plans for this weekend. We see all four boys sitting at a bench like they always do on Tuesdays.

We've gotten into a good schedule on Tuesdays. Noah gets done with first practice at 3 and he comes to the yard outside my building, I come to class an hour early and sit with him and talk until I have to go to class at 4. Then, he still has an hour to go get food before his 5 o'clock practice.

Once I get out of class at 6, I have an hour to go back to my dorm, shower, pack a bag, and wait for him to pick me up a little after 7 to go to his house for the night. It's not perfect, but it's one of the only days during the week that our schedules allow us to see each other.

"Well look who decided to join today" I tease Andrew and Cameron, who are normally not here.

I walk into Noah's arms, and he pulls me into his side as he leans down to give me a kiss.

"We're just here for the free food afterwards."

"Free food?" I look up at Noah.

He sighs and rolls his eyes at Cameron, "hey dude remember when we said, don't mention it to Scarlett or Chloe?"

Now, Chloe and I both back away from the boys and cross our arms, waiting for an explanation.

"Woah put the claws away, it's a free dinner at one of the sorority houses for the hockey players, we just didn't want to give you a reason to get mad or anything."

"You still could've told us, keeping it a secret makes it look worse." Chloe argues, and I actually agree with her.

"I agree, telling us is always better than lying."

"We weren't lying, we withheld information that wasn't relevant." Seth rolls his eyes.

"You have the audacity to get an attitude with me right now? You are in the wrong here, period."

"We aren't fighting here in front of everyone, can we just talk about this later?"

"Whatever, I'm going to class, have fun at your sorority dinner."

She walks off and Seth sighs and curses under his breath.

"I'm going to Tri Del, see you guys when you get there." Seth walks away.

"Yeah we're gonna go, see you in a bit, Hale."

I'm still annoyed, I don't like secrets, secrets lead to getting heart broken and I won't go through that again.

I walk over to a bench and sit down. I feel Noah sit down next to me, he leans down on his elbows and looks over at me.

"Scar, I'm sorry. But really, the dinner isn't a big deal."

"It's not about the dinner, Noah. If you would've told, I wouldn't have cared. It's the fact that you felt like hiding it was better than just telling me. Because you thought I would get mad about it. News flash, babe, if you think your girlfriend might get mad about it, you probably shouldn't do it."

"So you are mad about it...?" He looks confused. Jesus, men.

"No! Oh my- okay. No I am not mad about the dinner but you thought I would be so instead of saying 'oh I should ask Scarlett if she cares, I'm just going to hide it from her.'" I try to do my best Noah voice impression.

"Hey I don't sound like that." He says, making me smile a little.

"Don't try to make me laugh, we're fighting."

"Baby there's nothing to fight about. I promise you, I will tell you anything and everything from now on. I thought that I was supposed to avoid things like this but I see now that I shouldn't. I'm sorry, I'm not perfect at relationships yet, remember?"

I sigh, he's right. He hasn't given me reason to not trust him. "You'll tell me from now on?"

"I promise" he says seriously and kisses my head.

I nod, "okay, then you're forgiven. I'm sorry, I have a lot of issues when it comes to trust."

"I know, I wasn't thinking. Still love me?"

I roll my eyes, "I still love you, you still love me?"

"Yeah I guess." He shrugs. I gasp and shove him. He laughs and pulls me into his side.

"Hey, I actually have to talk to you about something." I say, sitting up to look at him.

"Okay?"

"Do you remember that interview assignment I mentioned a few weeks ago?"

"The one you won't pick me for? Yes I remember." He jokes.

"Yeah, that one. I asked Garrett if I could interview him for it."

"Garrett who?"

"Hart." I say hesitantly.

"Garrett Hart? As in quarter back for the football team?" He asks, slightly annoyed.

"Yeah, he was good friends with my brother in high school so I know him. You don't care do you?"

"As a boyfriend, no. I trust you. But as the hockey captain, having you choose the football captain is like a betrayal." He laughs.

I shake my head, "I'm meeting up with him after class to get coffee and start the interview process. I should be done by the time you get out of practice. Will you pick me up from coffee and then take me back to my dorm to grab a bag?"

"Yes, ma'am. I will pick you up from your date."

"Oh, shut up, it's not a date."

"I know I know, I'm playing. Just text me where to go."

We say our goodbyes as I walk into my building for class.

"Hello everyone." My professor, Dr. Mathis, greets.

"Okay first off, your interview subjects should be chosen, and potential questions should be drafted. I sent you all an email over the weekend with acceptable recording apps to use during the interview. Please use one of those, if you don't it will be a 5 point deduction. Remember, this assignment is a big portion of your grade so don't procrastinate!"

She begins the lecture for the day and I settle into my seat and start taking notes.

I walk out of class 2 hours later and text Garrett.

Me: hey are we still good to meet today for my interview?

Garrett Hart: Yep, meet at the coffee shop in the Union?

Me: Sounds good, I'll be there soon!

I make the short walk to the student union, and spot Garrett at a table right inside the coffee shop.

He stands up when he sees me and leans down to give me a hug.

"Hey Scarlett."

"Hi Garrett, how have you been?"

We settle back down in the booth, "good, football keeps me busy, especially since it's senior year and NFL draft is coming up."

"Oh yeah that's right! Derek told me you're gonna enter into the draft?"

"Yeah, right now its looking like Pittsburg and Detroit are the top two options right now, but we'll see once the time comes."

"Shoot, I might ask that question again once the interview starts." I laugh.

"Sure no problem. So before this fancy interview starts, how have you been?"

"Good, adjusting to college life, but I've met some good friends, so it's been pretty easy."

"Ahh right, the hockey captain, Hale. The betrayal is real Nelson."

"He said the same thing." I laugh, "he's great though, if there wasn't the whole football-hockey feud you guys would get along."

"I don't know about that." He laughs.

"But I must say, you have really grown up since I last saw you."

"I would hope so, I haven't seen you much since you left, when I was 15 years old. 3 years is a lot." I laugh again.

"I saw you a few times, I just never realized how beautiful you were then."

"Alright hotshot, I know you're a flirt but don't give Noah more reason to not like you."

"Alright, I can respect a girl with a boyfriend. But hey, if it doesn't work out, I'll bring you to the NFL with me Nelson."

"Sure, Hart, I'll keep that in mind." I roll my eyes playfully.

I start the interview and luckily Garrett keeps his flirting to a minimum.

Once the interview is over and I feel like I have a solid assignment to turn in, I text Noah where to get me.

Noah❤️: I'm here, take your time though, totally trust you;)

Me: mhm, sure you do😂 I'm just about done, one sec.

"Noah's here, so I should get going. But thank you so much for doing this for me." I stand up with him and give him a hug goodbye.

"I'll walk out with you."

We walk out of the building and see Noah standing by the passenger door of his jeep, waiting for me.

He eyes Garrett next to me before smiling at me. It's a fake smile, but a smile, nonetheless.

"Hale." Garrett nods.

"Hart," Noah answers, "did you get everything you need?" He looks at me now.

"Yep, thanks again Garrett."

"No problem, just remember what I said, Scarlett." He winks and walks away to his car.

I roll my eyes, and wait for Noah to question it.

He doesn't, but I can tell he wants to, "go ahead, ask what you want to ask."

"Nope, I totally trust you."

"Noah, go ahead, really. I'm gonna have to tell you anyway."

"Okay, what'd he say? Was he a dick you to? Try to sleep with you?"

"Okay, calm down. He told me that if it doesn't work out with you, he'd take me to the NFL with him, and he told me how gorgeous I am now. That's it. I shut down the flirting as soon as it happened and he said that he respects my relationship, but 'when' its over to let him know."

"That little bitch." Noah starts walking away from the jeep.

"Noah." I glare at him, making him stop. "Stop, he is a flirt, he always has been. I listen to girls flirt with you 24/7 and I don't try to fight all of them. You have to trust me here. Plus I sweat too easily to want to be an NFL wife. Could you imagine?"

His expression softens, "damn straight. You belong in an ice arena, not a grass stadium." He nods confidently.

"Yes, I do. Now can we please go back to your house so I can show you just how much I prefer a hockey player?"

His eyebrows raise, asking me if I'm saying what he thinks I am and I nod. He opens the door and all but throws me into the jeep before speeding off towards my dorm to grab my stuff. 

A/N♥︎ Sorry for the late upload! I was busy with halloween stuff:) Thank you for 11k reads! This is a bit of a boring filler chapter but this one sets up the next two or so chapters so it was necessary!

as always, comment and vote if you liked it!

See you later this week!

Word count: 2106

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 445 36
[COMPLETE] Genesis Munroe, a virtuoso college freshman has always been the shy type, the good girl, the smart kid who sat in the back of class and pr...
59 2 7
"For the past 16 years of my life, i've been drawn to just one boy in my life, my best friend (basically since we were born), Aaron Barlow. That is u...
107K 2.4K 51
Lyla Robertson is 19 years old and just transferred to Oakridge College for her sophomore year. Her freshman year at her hometown College did not go...
18.9M 535K 55
"You just have no idea." His voice was thick with restraint. "W-what," I breathed. His gaze flicked to my lips as his thumb stroked again. The call...