Aleksander Morozova Imagined

By knight1hawk

A bunch of short stories with original characters and canon characters with the Darkling. Requests are open f... More

Introduction
Running (Part 1)
The Starlight Angel
Admit it
A Friend
The Question part 4
Running Part 2
A Question part 10
Darkness without Light
You promised
Hidden in plain sight part 3
Healer part 1
News
Hidden in plain sight part 1
Hidden in plain sight part 2
update

My Little Shadow

491 6 0
By knight1hawk

Summary: This takes place many years before Alina and the events of the first shadow and bone book but after the events of the black heretic and shadow fold. The Darkling has returned to the little palace after a fight with Drüskelle and finds something out of place.  Contains minor spoilers for the shadow and bone show. I know this isn't true to the Darkling's character but I've been craving some fluff to warm my heart and giving the darkling one was a nice change from writing him as the psychopath he is. 

The sun had long since gone down by the time the Darkling had reached the little palace. The maids already having extinguished the candles leaving only the moonlight to guide the general back to his chambers. His face felt sticky. Some blood from the  Drüskelle still there, evidence from what had transpired. He had lost too many good soldiers today and he was in serious need of a drink. His mud and blood-encrusted boots thudding softly against the marble floor. But to his ears, every step felt like banging a gong in the otherwise quiet palace. 

Shadows flickered around his feet and along the walls as he strode through the halls. Mind only on taking a bath and downing a few bottles of kvas. He doesn't notice the little shadow following him. A shadow he does not control. The shadow has been waiting for someone, him or really anyone else, but preferably him. Creeping around the corners of the hallways following him from a safe distance, heart beating erratically. The darkling and the shadow near the hall leading to his war room and chambers before he notices it. 

Slowing down his pace a bit he watches from the corner of his eye as the little figure travels from one shadow to the next like a little dance. The figure is quite small, nothing a Grisha as powerful as himself had to worry about. Carefully he lets his shadows wrap around the wrist of the figure, it lets out a quiet yelp as it is pulled into the moonlight. The Darkling relaxes at the sight of one of his Grisha. It appears to be a young girl no older than the age of 11. The front of her robe had come undone revealing the front of her plain nightgown. Her Hazel eyes stare into his, pink lips parted. The moonlight reflected off her pale skin, thick auburn curls framing her small face. He mentally groans.

"What are you doing child?" His voice comes out harsher than intended and she flinches. 

"My apologies moi soverennyi I just-" she stops eyes darting away. 

"Speak child," He commands softly but a command no less. The girl starts to play with the shadows on her wrist. Running her hand over it in a petting motion, she doesn't look up as she responds. 

"I couldn't sleep, so I went exploring." Had she been looking the girl would have seen the darkling's eyes soften slightly. He remembered being young and curious. In spite of his better judgment, he held a gloved hand out to her. She hesitates wide eyes flickering between his eyes and outstretched hand. After a few moments, she tentatively places her hand in his. The size difference is almost comical. 

"What is your name little shadow?" He questions leading her away from the war room. 

"Karina Krok sir," She replies simply. 

"Can you enlighten me as to why you couldn't sleep, Miss. Karina." 

"I can not moi sovernnyi," She says sheepishly, looking down at her slippers. 

"Nonsense now tell me what plights you." 

"I know it seems silly especially after all of the wonderful things here and the honor it is to serve in the second army-" 

"But you miss home?" The darkling finishes. She nods. "Tell me Miss.Karina what do you find dissatisfactory about the little palace that you wish to go back to the poor excuse of a village you called home?" He is careful to keep the disappointment out of his voice. 

"There is nothing wrong, it's just I miss my family... I don't feel like I belong here." The darkling is unable to keep the surprise from his face. Grisha missing their parents was common but feeling as though they don't belong? This is the first time he's heard of it. 

"Why do you feel this way *malen'kaya ten*? These are your people are they not?" He looks down at her, studying her expression. 

*little shadow in Russian*

"They are but they aren't at the same time. I'm a healer, I want to save lives but that just doesn't seem to be the case with the others. They are too busy trying to be the most powerful and become the best killing machines and... I- I was always taught to value life and try to preserve it. I don't think power should determine how great a person is or how worthy they are to live. I know that's war and death are a part of it but I can't help it.  Not to mention that if I were to go out there now to save the soldiers I would die and I feel completely and utterly useless," Karina exclaims before bursting into tears. 

The darkling is quiet for a moment, her words spinning around his head too fast. This girl was too young to be burdened with such thoughts. She shouldn't feel this pressure. Sure the Darkling encouraged competition to ensure the students were pushing themselves but never did he consider what it would do to them. Especially at this young age. He looked back down at the little girl who was furiously trying to clear her face of tears, to no avail as fresh ones kept falling. She stepped away letting go of his hand. "I'm sorry to have *hiccup* disturbed you moi soverynni." She tries to leave but the general stops her. 

Pulling her back to him, he kneels down so he is at eye level with her. "How old are you?" She stares at him quizzically. "I've recently turned eight years old." Despite himself, the darkling feels a part of his heartbreak. 

"I want you to understand something, you are not useless you are young. I am glad you wish to help and that you value life those two things are very important and I hope you never lose them, but those are goals for the future. As for your peers do not worry about them, focus on your studies that is what is most important right now. Do you understand?" The darkling tells her, wiping a few stray tears from her cheeks. She nods and he stands back up taking hold of her hand. 

She leads them somewhere, her room the darkling presumes but is once again shocked when she pulls him into the bathroom attached to the corporalki training rooms. He raises a delicate eyebrow as she sits him down on one of the benches. He watches as she fills a basin with water and grabs a washcloth before returning to him. Gently she washes the blood from his face and anywhere else she can before working on the small cuts he hadn't realized he had obtained. She works diligently cleaning the cuts before mending them with ease. 

The darkling sits quietly as she works using the moment to study her more closely. Her eyes are bloodshot and there are deep circles under them. How long has her insomnia been happening?  Why didn't anyone help her? When she is done with the injuries that she can see she asks, "Is there anything else you need me to heal?" He shakes his head, thanking her before standing up. As he does so He notices she's trembling. Of course, she is, she is in a thin nightgown and robe in the middle of winter. The general mentally kicks himself for not noticing her shivering state before. 

Reluctant to give her a blood-stained kefta he looks around for something else to provide extra warmth. Finding none he picks her up so she is resting on his hip. He wraps the front of his kefta around her, clasping the clasps so that the kefta is secure around her back. She burrows into the warmth he is radiating, resting her face in the crook of his neck. Her breath tickles him as he walks her to her room. Once there he realizes she had fallen asleep in his arms. 

Carefully he places her onto her bed, making sure to pull the covers all the way up to her chin. "Good night my malen'kaya ten," He whispers. Against his better judgment, he gives his little shadow a brief kiss on the top of her head before exiting the room quietly. My little shadow finally resting he thinks as he makes his way back to his own bedroom. Heart aloft, he had forgotten who he truly built the little palace for. Too busy fighting the war he had forgotten to check up on the Grisha within the palace walls. She and her peers are the very reason why he was doing all this, he reminds himself as he dresses for bed. A soft smile appears on his face as he thinks of her adorable face while she sleeps. 

That was how the Darkling fell asleep to that night, not to the kvas as he had planned. 

Author's note 

Guess who's getting better at writing, me bitch. I know its not much better but baby steps. Anyways, sorry its been so long but I've been busy. As always I hope you liked this chapter and thank you for reading. I was listening to chiquitita by ABBA and I think most people fictional or not can relate to it but all I could think of was Genya. I may do an edit for it but I'm scared because it would be bad. Anyways it would be posted on TiTok so go check it out. As I said before thank you so much for your support and please don't be afraid to comment or vote they mean the world when you do. I wish you a good day/night and happy holidays! 

-K 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 132 24
This is the second book of Erin's adventure through Hogwarts with a crush on her teacher, last time, her brothers, Remus, and Albus were gathered in...
200K 4.2K 44
We all know what happened to peter pan, how his son killed him. But what you didn't know is rumple came back to life so did peter.peter ended up bac...
1.3M 51.6K 55
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
1.1M 61.1K 38
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Junghoon's ) daughter Mishel...