THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

PRELUDE TO BATTLE

714 13 0
By Saptaswapal

300 AC

RIVERLANDS

GODS EYE

BENJEN WHITESTARK

Benjen Whitestark, Lord Of Moat Cailin, is tired. Really, really, tired.

He had always thought that fighting in a war was an adventure. An adventure to win honour and glory, just like his older brother Ned had done in Greyjoy Rebellion.

Benjen always wanted to make a name for himself, and as the youngest sibling, it was very difficult for him. That is one of the main reason, he wanted to join the Night's Watch, but his brother had prevented that.

When the war started he got his chance to prove himself to his children. But the sudden death of his older brother changed his view, and after seeing war with his own eyes and leading men to death, he finally understood that glory is not the worth for his family.

There is nothing honourable in war. That he had learned, after fighting in this war for over a year. War only brings suffering and death for the smallfolk.

He had been one of those, who was in favour of suing peace with the Iron Throne, even though it was his own brother who the Lannisters had murdered.

But it was not to be. The Lords wanted revenge against the Lannisters, for their slight against House Stark and The North.

So he did his duty and fought, not for revenge but for the freedom of the north.

And now after a year of fighting, they are finally here, the final battle of this long drawn out war.

Tywin Lannister and his huge army had made their camp, just a few kilometres in front of there own camp.

He and his nephew Robb, along with many of the lords are on a hill top, near there camp, observing the enemy camp from a distance.

Everyone was silent, even the Greatjon and his son, who were always so boisterous, were also silent. And why wouldn't they, when they saw the massive camp of the enemy, which seemed to stretch for kilometres.

He has faith in his King, but even he had to acknowledge that, it is madness!!.

50,000 of them, against over hundreds of thousands of Southerners, gathered under the command of Tywin Lannister himself.

After a year of war, The North and The South had finally come together, to decide the fate of the Seven Kingdoms.

Everyone is in various state of nervousness and many of them had the expression of doubt on their faces.

Everyone except for his nephew, King Robb.

He turned to his side to look at the auburn haired youth, who was on top of his white deserter.

Robb had a serene expression on his face, as he was calmly running his hands through Greywind's fur. The faithful Direwolf is sitting, by his master's side.

Robb's face was expressionless, but his eyes were blazing with an intensity that Benjen had never seen before.

It looks like this is the day that Robb was looking for all his life.

Robb's previous victories in Westerlands and Reach had earned him many a titles. Many say that Robb is so successful because he had the blood of Theon Stark on his father's side and Tristefer Mudd on his mother's side. There are even a few who said that Robb is Aegon Targaryen reborn or that he is blessed by the old gods.

The smallfolk of Riverlands and North ever outright say that Robb is son of the Old Gods themselves or that he is the Warrior himself, disguised in human form.

It was nothing more than a rumour of course. Even his nephew had snorted in laughter when he had heard that, saying him being a god was outrageous.

But whatever it is. Benjen hoped that it will give them the victory, and hopefully end this war for good, so he can finally return home, to his wife and family.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
(A few hours later, in Tywin Lannister's Camp)

300 AC

RIVERLANDS

GODS EYE

TYWIN LANNISTER

The camp of the army he commanded stretched for several kilometres. Except for Dornish forces, all lords south of the Trident were represent, The West, The Reach, The Crownlands, The Stormlands and The Narrow Sea. More than 100,000 men gathered to end this war once and for all.

Tywin was having a glass of wine while he looked at the map of the Seven Kingdoms and reflected on the so-called War of the Five Kings.

Only Two Kings remained right now. King Joffrey Of The Iron Throne and Robb Stark, King In The North And Trident. The rest have all died in battle or under mysterious circumstances.

Now everything depended on Tywin Lannister to bring peace to Westeros, where the Seven Kingdoms would prosper under the rule of the Lannisters.

The war had not gone as he had expected. Robb Stark had become a much greater threat than anyone in the Seven Kingdoms had ever expected.

He still cannot believe how a boy of six and ten can become such a threat. And in this moment he couldn't help but feel jealous of Ned Stark, for having such a capable son.

He sometimes imagined what would have happened if his children had resembled the Young Wolf. Jaime was a proud man who had more courage than cunning, Cersei had more ambition than intelligence and Tyrion had more intelligence than decency and virtue.

Robb Stark would have been a Lannister worthy of his legacy. However, he was born a wolf, a wild wolf that needed to be skinned and beheaded.

While Stark had won all his battles, diplomacy had given Tywin new resources, new reinforcements, and even after all those losses he still managed to have an army that the so-called King in the North could not match.

He cannot deny, that Robb Stark was an exceptional military commander. He could be the best that had existed in Westeros since Dareon The Young Dragon or even Aegon Targaryen the conqueror himself.

But he cannot win the game when he had no cards in hand, and this time the Young Wolf had no chance to win. His army supposedly numbered around 45,000-50,000. While Tywin controlled a host twice that of his enemy.

Tywin got to his feet and headed towards the edge of the camp. To the north was the Gods Eye and next to it a camp, big but not as large as the one he commanded.

There The Young Wolf had positioned himself. Truth be told, it intrigued Tywin why the ever-calculating Stark had decided to march against Tywin with such inferior troops.

However, he quickly dismissed the idea. He already had his battle plan ready and it is time for a war council

After one last look at his enemy's camp he returned to the command tent. The lords and captains of his army have already gathered. It was time to establish his strategy.

The camp was packed. In the centre, lay a table with a map representing the plain between The Gods Eye and the King's Road.

Different figures marked the troops that would go into the battle tomorrow. And around the table, there were the different lords grouped together by their respective Kingdoms.

Lord Mace Tyrell, his son Garlan and Loras Tyrell, Lord Tarly, Lord Rowan and the rest of the Reach lords were standing in the left while the lords of the West are standing on the Right.

And finally the lords of the Crownlands and Narrow Sea led by Lord Celtigar and Ser Balman Byrch and the lords of the Stormlands led by Lord Guilian Swann were standing in the centre.

They were all looking at Tywin, expectantly, waiting for the explantion of how they would fight the next day. The Hand of the King decided to speak, to stop any silly debates.

"Well my lords. We have a duty, entrusted by King Joffrey, to end this war once and for all. It is true that the Iron Born would still needed to be subdued, but without a doubt our greatest enemy are the Starks" He began "Tomorrow this war must end. We will destroy the Young Wolf's army, kill Robb Stark, and force the vassals of the North and the Trident to swear allegiance to my grandson".

All the lords nodded and voiced their agreement.

"Our plan is simple. Robb Stark is smart, cunning, but he won't be able to use any great plans in an open field. We will directly overwhelm his forces with our numbers. I have decided that the right flank will consist of the 9,000 men from the Crownlands and the 4,000 men from the Stormlands, cavalry and infantry forces together. My brother Kevan will have the command" He looked at his brother, with whom he had already spoken about his command, and nodded "The center will be occupied by the bulk of the Reach's army, but the core will be made of the Lannister men, they are veterans of Riverlands campaign. It will be commanded by Lord Tarly and Tyrell" He looked at the two men, but in reality he only trusted Tarly with command. But he couldn't say that out loud.

"The left flank will be composed of the 10,000 cavalry men under Ser Garlan nd Ser Loras" The second and third son of Mace Tyrell nodded "Finally, I will command the remaining men as reserves".

"My Lords, our strategy will be as simple. As our flanks engage the Young Wolf's flanks, Lord Tyrell and Lord Tarly will carry out a frontal attack on the enemy center" He pointed at the enemy centre "Our intention is to split the enemy army in half. When the center of Stark army collapses, the men of the Reach will attack from the rear. We will surround our enemies and annihilate them. The reserve will enter into combat to prop up the front where there is more resistance" he finished before looking at the men "Any question?".

As expected Mace Tyrell had one "My Lords" he asked "We outnumber the enemy greatly, why don't we just encircle their flanks and finish them off, instead of breaking their centre".

Garlan shook his head at his father's foolishness "Stark is smart, he will use the Lake of Gods Eye to cover one of his flank while focusing his entire defence in his other flank" The second son of Mace Tyrell explained to his father "It will be difficult to break" he finished and Mace nodded in understanding.

With the doubts clear, Tywin spoke again.

My lords, tomorrow, I want us to send a message to all of Westeros. Every lord who surrenders will be forgiven, save one" he said looking at them "I want Robb Stark's head and any man who manages to bring Young Wolf will be handsomely rewarded".

All the lords agreed. The plan was easy to understand, divide the Northerners and destroy their army. Stark's lines could not be very extensive because of the small number of his forces, but they would undoubtedly impose strenuous resistance. The boy had managed to win over his men, they would fight for him to the death.

"Well my lords, go get some rest" Tywin adjourned the meeting "Tomorrow we have to do our duty. The king wants it that way".

----------------------------------------------------------------
(At the same time, In Robb Stark's Camp):-

NORTHERN CAMP

ROBB STARK

"In the crack of the enemy line, and we will go for the head" Robb said looking at his lords.

All the lords had gathered in his tent, to discuss the strategy for the coming battle.

To better explain his plan, Robb had instructed his servants to recreate the model of the battlefield using sands and stones. Every minor detail of The Gods Eye and its surrounding area is made on the model. And it had taken a good few hours and a thorough survey of the field to perfectly create the model.

Robb is standing in the centre of the model. He has a short spear on his hand, which he is using as a pointing device.
He pointed the spear, in the center of the enemy army, while he explained his plan.

"Go after Lord Tywin?" Lord Umber asked with a doubtful expression on his face.

"The gods have brought him to us, at last" Robb answered decisively. He knew his lords wouldn't understand the whole plan, at least not without persuasion, but they had to trust him "With Casterly Rock and most of The Reach under our control, it is only the command of Tywin Lannister that is holding the royal army in line, with him gone it will be over for them".

Robb pointed his spear at centre of the enemy army.

"Here, right here, we will cut the throat of the enemy".

Ser Brynden Tully, who had always supported him from the very beginning, spoke against him, for the first time since the war started.

"It's madness, you won't be able to get within a hundred paces of him, he is most protected in the centre, with his best infantry who were fighting with him since the beginning of this war" The Blackfish looked at him, like he was crazy "Have you seen the sheer size of his forces, Your Grace. He will crush us if we attack"

Robb shook his head, he knew that the cautious and intelligent Blackfish would protest about his risky plan.

"Not if, You hold them on the left flank, the great Blackfish" He then pointed at Edmure "With your nephew Edmure, just one, two hours tomorrow, with the help of Riverlands and Vale footmen"

Robb then pointed his spear at his centre, and looked at his northern lords.

"Lord Umber, Bolton, Whitestark and Glover, you four will command the centre" Robb instructed them "You will place your infantry in packed formation. Spears at front, then medium lances at second and long pikes at the third line and the soldiers with swords will make the rest. It will make a phalanx formation which will pin the enemy in the centre".

The Phalanx formation. The greatest weapon of the Ghiscari Legion Of Old Ghis. It is this formation which made the legions of Ghiscari empire, nearly unstoppable in battle. Before their fall to the dragons of Valyria.

What Robb, had in mind is to, copy the Phalanx of Ghiscari legions, by placing short spears in the front, then medium lances in the middle then long pikes in the third line. This will make three lines of solid iron spear tips and while it will not be as effective as the phalanx of Ghiscari legions or even the Unsullied, it will do it's job against the peasant levies and light cavalry very well.

"If you all, pin the enemy in the left and the centre" He pointed at the centre "Me and my cavalry force which I will place in the right flank, will stretch their lines to the further right. It will entice the Lannisters and they will send their own cavalry to pursue us".

"When the enemy cavalry comes close to us, the Riverlands and Valemen cavalry, under the command of Lord Yohn Royce will break off to engage them" Robb pointed to his right as his squire Olyver placed the pieces on the area "They will be supported by, Owen Norrey and two thousand clansmen"

Robb then pointed at the gap in the enemy centre "With the enemy cavalry, engaged at the right and most of their infantry, engaged in our centre and left, a gap will open in the enemy centre" he then pointed at the pieces representing his northern cavalry "Then me and my northern cavalry, my revered battleguards, Lieutenant Moss and Ser Rober Royce, will strike to that centre".

He pointed at the centre and Olyver took the pieces representing the northern cavalry, and placed them at the gap of the enemy centre.

"And deal the death blow to Tywin's head" He finished confidently, punctuating his words by knocking the lion figurine in the centre of the Royal army.

Many of the lords looked convinced, that his plan will work. But the Blackfish still shook his head.

"Your Grace, since when, by the gods, had an infantry line had ever held a cavalry charge".

"And what did we do at The Green Folk, Uncle" Robb retorted "Our left flank will be protected by waters of gods eye, so if they want to encircle us they have to do it from the right flank, where our own cavalry will be there".

"But Your grace, even with luck and timing the gods they still outnumber us two to one" Brynden said pointing at the enemy army "It means we have to rout them tomorrow, destroy their army completely or we will be picked apart by bandit tribes as soon as we resume our march"

"I know and we will" Robb nodded "Once Tywin dies or is captured, the lords will surrender or abandon the Lannisters. That is the key to this battle. We don't have to kill all the lions, only their leader, The Opd Lion"

Edmure, who had been quiet, spoke up.

"And what our archers and catapults, Your Grace".

Robb pointed his spear in the rear, of their army.

"At the beginning of the battle the archers will position themselves in front of our infantry" Robb commanded "And when the enemy approaches, the archers, commanded by Lord Blackwood and Lieutenant Flint will retreat to the rear and continue firing alongside the catapults under Lord Bracken".

Edmure nodded, accepting the orders, as did the Lord Blackwood, Bracken and Lieutenant Flint. However Hothar Umber captain of Company Of The Rose stood up.

"And what will I do King Robb," Hothar boomed in his usual tone, which is a blend of Northern and Essosi accent.

"The infantry of the company of the Rose, will form an second line and support both of our flanks" Robb answered "If you see any flank is in trouble, you will support them".

Hothar nodded, though he looked displeased at commanding the second line, realising that he will not be in the thick of fighting.

Robb looked at the lords waiting for any more questions or doubts. Finally only one raised his voice, Lord Vance who was commanding the garrison at Harrenhal. He was among those who had shown reluctance at the idea of ​​fighting the Royal army in open battle.

"Your Grace, none here questions your ability on the field of battle" Lord Vance began "But if I were you, I would fight this defensively. To retreat to Harrenhal or raise a larger force. We can also look towards Vale, for any more possible reinforcements, do anything but open battle".

Robb looked at the poor fool. Lord Vance was a good man. But he doesn't realise that they couldn't win in a war of attrition.

"I would do that to, if we're Lord Vance" Robb mocked the coward with his title "But I am Robb Stark, the King in the North and the Trident. I am not you my lord. And the war will end tomorrow. This is my word to you all".

With his final words, Robb dropped the spear on the floor and left the tent, missing the words of Lord Umber.

"Damn, by all the gods, that man has some balls" Lord Umber whistled.

"Well we better give our enemies, their due Lord Vance" The Blackfish said to lord Vance before looking at everyone in the tent "And Lads and Ladies, lets feast tonight for tomorrow we dine in seven hells".

The Lords, especially the northern lords, as they didn't believe in the Southern god's seven hells, laughed at that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Robb walked around the edges of lake of the gods eye. It was late night and he was alone, with only his sword and his trusted Direwolf with him.

He tried to take some rest, but sleep wouldn't come. So he decided to take a stroll along the camp, meeting with various soldiers and asking about them.

His father always said, that don't let the man die for a stranger, they don't even know.

Robb had taken the lesson to his heart. And while he will not say that he knows everyone in his army, he still knows many of them, especially his cavalry men, by their names.

He looked at the sky. Today the weather is good and the moon is shining brightly in the sky, causing the waters of Gods Eye to sparkle in an out-worldly colour.

For the last two days it had rained, and the ground was still somewhat damp and the winds were cold. His northmen, who worship the Old Gods, said that it had rained for the last two days, because the gods were weeping for the future deaths of the men in the coming battle

The Southern men in his army, us the exact opposite. They say that the cold northern winds are here to avenge the murder of Ned Stark.

All in all the army was lively, they knew that the Lannisters had more men than they did, but still they trusted their king, to win the battle.

As Robb walked he began to think. He didn't thought of his family or friends no he thought of someone else. Someone he promised he will return back alive.

He put his hands inside his vest and pulled out a blue handkerchief.

The piece of cloth had Direwolves sewn in it and as he hold it, he began to think how he came hold of this.

Flashback:-

"Princess Myrcella" Robb asked in surprise.

He and his men were ready, and they were about to leave Riverrun and march to Harrenhal. So Robb had decided to go to the Godswood for a final prayer before his departure. But he didn't expected to find the beautiful princess, in the Goodswood

"Your Grace" Myrcella immediately dropped into an elegant curtsey and Robb had to stop his laughter at seeing that.

"Come on Princess" Robb laughed "You don't have to bow, everytime you meet me"

Myrcella just smiled at him and Robb shook his head to compose himself before asking "What are you doing here alone princess?" Robb asked politely before quickly adding "If you don't mind me asking?".

Myrcella looked nervous but seeing his gaze she answered " I was praying, Your Grace".

"Praying, in the Goodswood" Robb raised an eyebrow "I thought you prayed on a sept".

"Well" Myrcella stuttered in nervousness "You are from the north, so I thought it would be better if I prayed in the Goodswood"

Robb was stunned "You prayed, for me!" He asked in shock "But why? I am your enemy?"

"I know" Myrcella whispered "But I cannot help it, I cannot stop caring for you"

She reached for something, in her dress and pulled out a blue handkerchief.

"I made this for you" She said "For luck, I know that you are marching out again".

She took his hand "I know that you don't feel the same, but I have to say it now or I may not get another chance" she took a deep breathe, before looking him in the eye "I Love You".

Robb couldn't help himself, at her final words, a dam of emotions seemed to have broken inside of him. He didn't said anything, instead he leaned forward and pressed his lips to her in a soft kiss, which Myrcella quickly reciprocated, after her initial nervousness.

Robb pulled back after a few second and looked at her green eyes "I always, wanted to that".

Myrcella's eyes were filled with tears as she whispered "Please come back, to me".

"Don't worry, sweet Princess" Robb smirked, showing her the handkerchief "You have given me your favor, and now I will definitely return to you".

Flashback End.

Robb smiled at the memory, now he has another person to return to.

He then looked at the enemy camp and his eyes narrowed.

"So we finally meet Lord Tywin" Robb thought "There is no where you can run. And now, the only thing between you and me is you army, an army I will destroy tomorrow".

Winter has come for House Lannister. And tomorrow he will show everyone in the Seven Kingdoms, that what happens when you anger The North and House Stark Of Winterfell.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done!

This chapter had a pov from Benjen Stark. And as you can see many smallfolk in The Riverlands and The North, think that Robb is a God in human form. Although it is only a rumour.

As You can also see, that Tywin is jealous of Ned, for having such a capable son. When his own children, except Tyrion, are incompetent.

Now I have taken, Robb's Strategy from Alexander The Great's strategy against Darius III, at the Battle Of Gaugamela.

If you liked the chapter don't forget to leave a comment because always remember reviews are food for a writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 18 11
This is the third and final instalment of The Warth Of Winter Series. If you haven't read the previous two, then go and read it first to avoid any co...
58.1K 1.7K 51
Starts as a Robb Stark x Reader Chapter Series. The reader is a young northern lady from a small house, about as far north in Westeros as you can get...
593 28 4
Torrhen Stark, Second Eldest Son to Eddard Stark and Catelyn Stark, has his life turns upside down as his family is torn apart and thrusted into war...
144K 3.8K 27
{Book 1: The She-Wolf of Winter} Lilia Stark was the second child born to Lady Catelyn and Lord Eddard Stark. For thirteen years she lived in the qui...