THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE END IS NEAR
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

THE END IS NEAR: PART 3

707 9 0
By Saptaswapal

300 AC

RIVERLANDS--CROWNLANDS BORDER

KEVAN LANNISTER

The war council was packed. All the lords who had sworn allegiance to King Joffrey were present, at least the minimally important ones are.

There are lords of the Narrow Sea, the Crownlands, the Stormlands, the Westerlands, and the Reach. There were also several of the sellsword captains present, men who are fighting for gold and a chance of looting war spoils.

A large map of The crownlands and The Riverlands was displayed on the round oaken table, on the centre of the tent.

In the map there were different pieces arranged against each other, to symbolize the armies in war. Grey Direwolves for the northern forces, blue-red fish for the Riverlands army, green roses for the forces of The Reach, red lions for the men of the West, and finally the pieces of Stag signifying the forces of the Narrow Sea, Crownlands and The Stormlands. There are also few black pieces signifying the Sellswords of Essos.

The wolf and fish pieces in the map were fewer, far fewer than those clustered around the Kingswood. This sign gave some confidence to the disgrunted lords.

As was customary, the more experienced Lords like Tarly and Rowan gave their own ideas about what this large force of 100,000 that had gathered, should do.

The lords of the Crownlands and Narrow Sea, who all were the direct vassals of the Iron Throne sugested to await the arrival of the Young Wolf's forces and confront them in a great battle in front of the city walls.

On the other hand, the lords of the West and The Reach, men who were all angry at the northern incursion in their lands, wanted to advance on the Trident and confront the Northerners and Riverlanders in Tully territory.

His brother Tywin was watching everything, but he remained silent. Not voicing his opinion on the council. Kevan turned to Lord Tarly, who had just arrived from his attack in Maidenpool.

"Lord Tywin. Do we know anything about the moment of our enemy's forces?" The Lord Of Horn Hill asked the Lord Of Casterly Rock.

The Hand of the King looked around the table until it found the person it was looking for. He beckoned Ser Addam Marband, the commander of the army's scouts, who quickly answered the question.

"My scouts reports that the Young Wolf is marching towards Harrenhal with his entire army" Addam reported "No doubt he wants to reach the castle before we do".

Lord Mace Tyrell snorted at that.

"Attack? The Young Wolf does not have the strength to attack, he has been fighting for more than a year and will surely have lost many men. He should know that he cannot win against us" Mace said pompously, causing many of the Reach Lords, especially Lord Rowan, to look at their leage Lord in disgust.

Kevan just looked at the idiot, that is Lord Mace Tyrell and couldn't help but think, "Fool, most of his home is now in the hands of Robb Stark's army, and he can still sit here and talk arrogantly" he shook his head "Doesn't he realise that he is angering his own Lords".

But there is one thing, he did agree with the Reach Lord. Robb Stark is not a man who takes unnecessary risks. The Young Wolf wouldn't march against them if he didn't have a good plan.

"I think Stark wants to stay in Harrenhal and resist us in a long drawn siege" Garlan Tyrell said.

"It doesn't matter where the traitor is, my good lords, we must march and put an end to their rebellion" Randyll Tarly said "The sooner Robb Stark is defeated and executed, the better. With his death his other lords will bow to our King or die".

"Then we should leave as soon as possible. It will take much time to march as our army is numerous and we have to take care of our supply routes too" Kevan added his own opinion "We have the men to lay siege to Harrenhal, but we must not give Robb Stark the time for his troops to fortify the castle into an impregnable fortress".

As Kevan finished, Tywin spoke for the first time since the start of this council.

"Robb Stark is not going to stay locked in a castle, it is not his style and I would not do it if I were him". Tywin said calmly.

Everyone present looked at his brother in disbelief. Kevan himself was surprised.

Did his brother just praised Robb Stark? His sworn enemy.

"Robb Stark knows that he needs an immediate victory, that this war has lasted too long" Tywin said looking at the council "It may be the only thing we share, our idea that this battle should be the last."

Kevan still cannot believe that Stark will attack his forces head on. From the latest scout reports their forces are less than 50,000 strong while the Lannister-Tyrell alliance have more than 100,000 troops.

Tywin stood up and they all looked at him.

"Stark cannot continue in a war of attrition any longer, not when our resources are so vast" his brother said "He will prepare a good strategy to face us, so we must be ready. Prepare yourself My Lords at dawn we will march at Harrenhal".

Tywin signaled and the tent began to empty.

"Stay" his brother commanded and Kevan stopped.

"What is it" Kevan asked.

"I have come to a very important decision" Tywin said looking at him "When this war is over, I will be making you lord of Lannisport".

"What?" Kevan looked shocked.

"Both Ser Stafford and his son Devan is dead and we don't know if any of their family branch is alive or not" Tywin explained "And you are the best choice I have".

"But why me?" Kevan asked confused.

"You have served me faithfully for over two decades without any rewards, brother" Tywin said looking at him with a hint of a smile "It is time I remedy that".

Kevan cannot help but feel immense amount of pride on his brothers words, so he bowed and thanked him for it.

Tywin dismissed him and he left the tent with a smile on his face, happy that his loyalty will be finally paid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
300 AC

GODS EYE

RIVERLANDS

HARRION KARSTARK

Harrion Karstark was riding with his brother Eddard and Torrhen and his best friends and fellow battleguards Smalljon Umber, Daryn Hornwood, Dacey Mormont, Domeric Bolton, Wulfric Whitestark and Robb's squire Olyvar Frey.

The heir to Karhold chuckled mentally. He had never thought that he would consider a Frey of the crossing as one of his best friends. But Olyver has proven himself as a brave and faithful squire and an equally loyal friend.

The members of the King's Battlegurd are riding together, as there King is riding in the front of the army with one of his lords.

"In the future, when my father is gone, I must ride with him too, be the Lord of Karhold and head of my family" Harrion thought slightly unnerved.

Deep down he did not want to be a lord, he more liked to fight than to rule his lands, just like his brothers and like most Northerners. But he knows it is his duty and he had accepted it as such.

When the army made camp the king joined them and as one they joked, drank, ate and trained, liked green teenagers and not like the battle hardened adults they have become.

Truth be told, when Harrion saw Robb Stark in Winterfell during the harvest festival he never thought he would truly respect this three and ten year old boy.

But Robb had earned his respect, when he defeated him and won the melee of Winterfell. A respect which only grew after the war started. And like all Northerners in the army, he would lay down his life for him, for a man he had considered his brother.

The northern army had left Riverrun a week ago and as they rode in the direction of the Gods Eye, he remembered that there were only a few hours left to glimpse the castle of Harrenhal.

His anticipation grew a they rode closer to their destination. Like all others he was also a little nervous for the battle to come. And why wouldn't he, when they are so hopelessly outnumbered.

But he would trust his king, his friend who had led them through a string of victories. And hopefully Robb will pull through just like all the other time.

SMALLJON UMBER

Smalljon Umber. That was his name, although the nickname was more of a reference to his father Greatjon than to himself, for the son of The Lord Of The Last Hearth had long surpassed his father in strength and stature, although his father is still more fearsome and still command much more respect than him.

Jon was a man with simple tastes: a woman who would give him heat at night, a hearty meal, drink in quantity and of course fighting.

He liked to fight and for a year he had been doing, that nonstop. In the Riverlands, the West, and the Reach.

In all of the Young Wolf's battles, in all his victories, Smalljon Umber had been his shield, his standard bearer, and he counted on being so in the battle that would end this war.

Jon knew that the numbers would be against his people, but that did not matter to him, as long as each Northerner killed five Southerners everything would be fine. He had said so one night while drinking to King Robb himself, and his friend had laughed at him.

Robb was easy to deal with, as he is just an heir and a warrior. Yet he feared the day when he would succeed his father as lord and suffer the reprimands of his king. They would maintain their good brotherly friendship, sure, but it was also clear that the friendship could change, when he becomes Lord.

His thoughts about the future faded as cheers and roars began to reach the column that was beginning to enter the camp that spread around Harrenhal.

The garrison of Harrenhal had come out to greet their King, in their Kingly Way.

"STARK! STARK! STARK!"

"THE KING IN THE NORTH! THE KING IN THE NORTH! THE KING IN THE NORTH!"

"THE KING OF TRIDENT! THE KING OF TRIDENT! THE KING OF TRIDENT!"

Smalljon and his companions advanced to the head of the column, to accompany the king and lords as they entered the castle.

As he galloped he could see the extent of the camp that was being set. It was bigger than the one that was established in The Reach, just before the Battle Of Old Town.

All the fighting men of the North and the Trident had heeded the Young Wolf's call. Thousands of men ready to march south and see if Tywin Lannister shits gold.

The king entered with his father Greatjon and the other lords into the main courtyard of the castle. There were two dozen lords and knights, under the command of Lord Vance, who had occupied Harrenhal.

They all knelt when the king trotted ahead of them. Robb dismounted and approached those present, ordering them to get up. As Jon watched the scene.

"Lord Vance I see that you have managed to set up our camp in record time" The king said.

"Thank you, your Grace" Vanc nodded and Robb nodded back in return.

"Prepare Yourself, we will be having war council in an hour" The king spoke before entering the ruined castle, accompanied by the main lords of his army.

Meanwhile Jon and his friends, make their way to their camp, to rest and drink before the council starts.

WULFRIC WHITESTARK

The room was completely silent. And to tell the truth, it was the first time that Wulfric had seen something like this. It is the first time he had seen the northern Lords silent in meeting, all of them  waiting for the king's words.

The Heir to Wolf's Den was to the right of the king, along with the lords of the North. To the left were the men of the Trident, led by Brynden and Edmure Tully, who was currently giving an account of the situation.

"Your Grace, our Scouts reported that Tywin Lannister's army is only a few days march from here" Brynden reported "Many of my scouts had to fend off the enemy's scouts from coming close to our camp".

Lord Vance stepped forward and voiced his opinion.

"Your Grace, We don't doubt you, but how are we going to beat the Lannisters with only 45,000 men" Lord Vance pleaded with desperation "We know of your successes and victories. But this battle is impossible to win, especially if we attack. Perhaps if we remain on the defensive we could diminish their strength, wear them out".

Many of the Lords, especially the Freys and The Riverlords seemed to agreed to Lord Vance's words.

Wilfric despite not knowing Lord Vance very well, had to admit that he agreed. He would follow his cousin to hell itself, but he could not understand why Robb, who was always so conscientious in the art of war, would go into battle with such a meager army, knowing that his enemies outnumbered him so much.

Robb didn't say anything instead he looked at a letter in hand and smiled. Wulfric was curious, he had seen Robb eyeing the letters for to days now but he doesn't know what the letter is. He had seen the letter given to him by a horseman two days ago.

Robb was intrigued by the letter's contents but whenever he asked about it, Robb always changed the topic.

"I understand you Lord Vance, however we cannot afford a war of attrition against the Lannisters." Robb said calmly "They have more resources, more soldiers. This war has gone on too long and this must end now. Please Calm down my lords. I have a plan for the battle that I will share with you as the moment approaches and all the lords are all present"

Robb's last words had aroused the suspicion of many. Who was not in the room?

"Who are you talking about Your grace?" Roose Bolton, for the first Tim in his life, asked in confusion.

The moment Roose said those words horns sounded from the outside and a soldier entered the room.

"My king" The soldier bowed "An army is approaching the gates, they are carring your banner"

Robb smiled. But it was not a normal smile of happiness, but a predatory smile of a Direwolf.

His cousin got up and went to the door. But before leaving he looked at the them

"Follow me my lords".

The Young Wolf then looked at soldier   "Tell the men that the leader of thee army to be allowed to enter the castle". He ordered before leaving the room. And all his lords, including himself, followed their King.

Robb only wore his crown but he was unarmed. He didn't even have his most trusted dagger with him.

Who commanded this army that carried the Direwolf as a banner. And if he is friend why didn't he came during the start of the war.

Robb stood in the center of the courtyard and the doors slid open. Soldiers in heavy armor began to enter. They looked like Knights.

At that time a man entered the courtyard, with a black horse, in heavy plate armor with a sword tied behind his back. The man was old, but carried himself like a man half his age.

Wulfric didn't recognise him until he saw a knight with an banner with bronze ruins woven in the cloth and he immediately made the connection.

"Lord Bronze Royce" Wulfric thought in shock.

As far as he knew, Lysa Arryn refused to help them. Perhaps she had come to his senses.

He cleared his thoughts and looked at the soldiers, who have all dismounted and were now approaching the king.

"King Robb Stark, I am Lord Bronze Royce Of Ruinstone" The Old Lord Knelt "And I have come here to swear fealty to you, which I should have done long ago"

Robb shook his hand.

"I am glad to see you my Lord, I understand that you have received my letter"

The old Lord smiled.

"Yes I have" Lord Royce smiled "When the War started, I had called my banners in hopes of supporting you, but Lady Lysa told me to disperse my troops immediately, which I did, but after i received your letter it convinced me to do the honourable thing and support the son of my friend. I have brought you 5,000 men from the Vale. I tried to gather more support, but non we're willing to go against Lady Lysa".

Robb smiled once more. The lords were stunned. This was the reason for Robb's calm. This was his letter up his sleeve. This was the reason for that message that his king kept looking at.

"I am glad you joined us Lord Royce" Robb said "Years ago the alliance of Vale, North and Trident had brought down the Iron Throne, what is to say it will not happen again"

"I count on it King Robb" Royce said "I was one of your father's best friend. And I hope to maintain the friendship with you".

Both men embraced as the lords began to understand what had been the plan that their king had put in place was.

Tywin only expects to fight Northmen and Rivermen. But now he will be surprised to also fight against the fierce Knights Of The Vale.

And the surprise will not end very well for the Old Lion Of Casterly Rock.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL FORCES:-

KING ROBB STARK:- 50,000 MEN.
   INFANTRY- 40,000 MEN.
   CAVALRY- 10,000 MEN.

THE NORTH- 30,000 men.
    Infantry- 24,500 men.
    Cavalry - 5,500  men.

THE RIVERLANDS- 10,000 men.
      Infantry- 9,000 men.
      Cavalry- 1,000 men.

COMPANY OF THE ROSE- 5,000 men.
       Infantry- 3,500 men.
       Cavalry- 1,500 men.

THE VALE (UNDER LORD ROYCE)- 5,000 men.
        Infantry- 3,000 men.
        Cavalry- 2,000 men.

-------------------XXXXXXXXXXX--------------------

THE IRON THRONE:- 100,000 MEN.
        INFANTRY- 83,000 MEN.
         CAVALRY-   17,5000 MEN.

THE WESTERLAND- 25,000 men.
          Infantry- 21,000 men
           Cavalry - 4,000 men.

THE REACH- 55,000 men.
            Infantry- 45,000 men
            Cavalry- 10,000 men.

THE STORMLANDS- 7,000 men.
            Infantry- 6,000 men
            Cavalry- 1,000 men.

THE CROWNLANDS- 5,000 men.
           Infantry- 4,500 men.
           Cavalry- 500 men.

THE NARROW SEA- 5,000 men.
            Infantry- 4,000 men.
             Cavalry- 1,000 men.

THE SELLSWORD COMPANIES- 3,000 men.
            Infantry- 2,000 men
            Cavalry- 1,000 men.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done!

Looks like the Young Wolf still had an ace, or letter, up in his sleeves in form of Knights Of The Vale. 

So it only lord Royce who have come to help Robb as the rest of the Knights Of Vale are still neutral in this conflict (Courtesy of Lysa and Littlefinger).

((((Important note- In the previous chapter I asked you about the story idea, but none of you have commented so far, if you want the story please review on it)))).

If you liked the chapter don't forget to leave a comment because always remember reviews are food for a writer's soul.     

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

210K 6.5K 93
When the snows fall and the white winds blow; the lone wolf dies but the pack survives. Aris Stark, eldest daughter of Eddard and Catelyn Stark is t...
307K 10.4K 27
❝ I WOULDN'T PLAY WITH FIRE ,IF I WERE YOU. ICE MELTS FAST THESE DAYS. ❞ [ GAME OF THRONES AU ] [ AEGON'S CONQUEST ] [ AEGON TARGARYEN X OC ] [ Ⓒ win...
3.4K 127 10
Seventeen years have passed since Robert's rise to the throne, forcing Rhaegar and his kin into exile in Essos. Now, Rhaegar has journeyed back with...
2.2K 18 11
This is the third and final instalment of The Warth Of Winter Series. If you haven't read the previous two, then go and read it first to avoid any co...