Koldis the Green (DRAGONWALL...

By addicted2dragons

Claire understand that to defeat Kane, she must master her magic. That means journeying deep within the fores... More

Author's Note
MAP
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER 1: ARRIVING IN ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 2: LORD MARQUIN
CHAPTER 3: SICKNESS IN THE FOREST
CHAPTER 4: ARRIVAL IN KASTALI DUN
CHAPTER 5: CATS HAVE CLAWS
CHAPTER 6: LEARNING THE LANGUAGE
CHAPTER 7: PASSING TIME IN ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 8: DONE WAITING
CHAPTER 9: A PLEDGE OF SUPPORT
CHAPTER 10: CALLING WATER
CHAPTER 11: BLOOD LINES
CHAPTER 12: AN ANCIENT SPRITE
CHAPTER 13: LEARNING FOCUS
CHAPTER 15: THE GREAT STONE ROAD
CHAPTER 16: MASTERING ELEMENTS
CHAPTER 17: TAUNTING TAYLYNN
CHAPTER 18: BAGRADAS
CHAPTER 19: A POISONOUS SOLUTION
CHAPTER 20: BREWING POISON
CHAPTER 21: TRAVELING TO ASHVALE
CHAPTER 22: FORT LEADER VOTE
CHAPTER 23: ANSWERS IN ASHVALE
CHAPTER 24: DRINK OF ENLIGHTENMENT
CHAPTER 25: IMPOSSIBLE TRUTHS
CHAPTER 26: RETURNING TO ESTERPINE
CHAPTER 27: END OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 28: NOBLE FAMILIES
CHAPTER 29: TAMING A CAT
CHAPTER 30: A QUEEN IN THE FOREST
CHAPTER 31: A SURPRISE VISIT
CHAPTER 32: A TRADE
CHAPTER 33: FROM STONE TO SCALE
CHAPTER 34: THE KING TREE
CHAPTER 35: CONFRONTING JADE
CHAPTER 36: HEALER'S ORDERS
CHAPTER 37: PREPARING FOR SOLSTICE
CHAPTER 38: SOLSTICE SURPRISE
CHAPTER 39 (BONUS!!): SOLSTICE BALL
CHAPTER 40: COMMISSIONING A BOW
CHAPTER 41: SNEAKING AWAY
CHAPTER 42: PARTING WAYS (BONUS!)
CHAPTER 43: ARRIVING AT CAMP (BONUS!!)
CHAPTER 44: TIME IN THE TENT
CHAPTER 45: A NEW VOYAGE
CHAPTER 46: FLYING
CHAPTER 47: A KING'S SUPPORT
AUTHOR'S NOTE

CHAPTER 14: NEGOTIATIONS

20.7K 1.5K 225
By addicted2dragons

Oshea

Kane walked the length of cages one last time, examining his cauldron of bats through the bars. His lips pulled tight, bearing his teeth in semblance of a smile. Giant, monstrous things they were, with furry bodies and leathery wings. Each had grown to nearly the size of a wild dragon and frightening enough to make a man spill his bowels.

They didn't breathe fire like the dragons, but they were strong and ruthless in their own right. Even now, blood and gore stained their maws from their last feeds. They also didn't require riders and used swarming tactics to attack and devour their prey. It was a sight to behold. He'd never seen his cauldron do it, as he'd never unleashed them, but he'd seen plenty of demonstrations from the bat master here in Oshea. This particular breed was prized and rare, and he congratulated himself for finding them and raising them so successfully within Shadowkeep. He'd known then as he knew now, they'd amount to something.

The ship rocked beneath his feet and he hesitated, widening his stance. A few bats chirped and clicked, using their pinions to climb the bars of their cages to steady themselves. Like most monsters, they would be beautiful in their destruction. Beautiful and deadly. And hungry.

"You will have more food soon, my beauties," he cooed. "I'm told our hosts have been collecting hundreds of slaves, just for you. Hmm? More blood than you'll know what to do with. And when you fly into battle, you will stain Kastali Dun red." He stuck his hand through the bars of the nearest cage. The bat within eyed his hand then nuzzled it with his giant, furry head.

He chuckled. It was hard to avoid attachments to creatures of the macabre kind. Their inherent nature was so...alluring. But he'd been careful not to bond to these, not even allowing himself to name them, though he'd been tempted to call the one beside him Carver, for the way it liked to carve its food and paint the walls of its old cavernous home red.

Bats. How fortuitous. How convenient. His contacts here assured him these would be trainable. Battle bats they'd called them. He liked the sound of it.

The ship gave another lurch and a voice called below. He gave the bat a final caress and withdrew, sighing.

"My lord?"

"Yes, yes. What is it?"

"We are safely docked," the ship's captain said. "There is a contingent of politicians and soldiers on the dock waiting to escort you."

"Excellent." He took a final glance around. "Take care when you unload our precious cargo this time, Waylis. Not a single one harmed, you understand?"

Waylis turned a shade of red, but nodded. He'd carelessly lost two of his crew when loading the creatures, and in anger, had tried to fight to free his men. In vain, the two careless crew members were quick meals, even though the bats had suffered wing injuries on account of Waylis's actions. They'd only just healed.

The bright light that greeted Kane left him squinting. All those in his path scattered, their bare feet slapping against the wood deck in an effort to hurry out of his way. They'd done well to stay clear of him on this voyage.

Notna. The sounds of the port city rose up to greet him ten-fold. City bells, shouts as cargo was loaded and unloaded, the call of gulls overhead. The air stank of fish and filth. He inhaled, letting it wash over him, taking in the sight of the numerous ships across the bay behind him while Notna rose up before him.

As promised, there was a group waiting to greet him near the dock's entrance. He spotted the bat master he'd met previously too, here to oversee the offloading of his new, precious cargo. Three cloaked figures stood within the group, cowls pulled around their heads, faces buried deep within. He knew what he'd see if he looked into the shadows. Red eyes. Skin pulled tight, thinned with age. Dragonwall's Asarlaí had never truly gone extinct when the dragons hunted them. While many had died, many had also fled across the Dragonfire Sea. And now Oshea flourished, flourished the way he hoped Dragonwall would some day.

He sighed, making his way across the deck, keeping his gaze pinned on the party awaiting him. Whether or not they were pleased that he was here, that he'd done as he had agreed—presenting his bats as a gift of good faith—he couldn't say. Regardless, now the real negotiations could begin.

***

"Tell me again, Lord Kane, why we should aid you in this plight?" The emperor narrowed his eyes, sitting atop a cushion on top of his dais. "Our last attempt to capture Dragonwall's capital city went largely awry. History reports many ships were lost." Emperor Yanna's accent was heavy, as were all the others when speaking the common tongue.

"And if we do succeed," barked Yanna's advisor, Lord Xieanne, "then we insist you cede the southern Dragondoms to us. Specifically, those within Eigaden. The city of Kastali Dun." Lord Xieanne held the emperor's ear more than most. The emperor lifted a hand to quiet him.

Kane exhaled, not allowing their petty attitudes to garner irritation. "Kastali Dun is mine, Lord Xieanne. In claiming it, I conquer Dragonwall. I cannot cede any of Dragonwall's lands to you until then. However, it would make better sense for Oshea to hold the western coast and some of its Dragondoms there, Celenore and Galadhal in particular. Those are minor details that can be worked out behind closed doors." He hesitated, glancing around the large hall. Bystanders, nobility mostly, looked on out of curiosity. "As for your doubt, Emperor, let me assuage your fears. I am well familiar with history, familiar with Oshea's attempt to capture Kastali Dun in the past. Even with the help of your Asarlaí, you were unsuccessful. But things have changed. The number of Drengr has dwindled. Dragonwall's borders are under frequent attack. Moreover, I successfully laid claim to one of the four forts. The others will fall just as easily, as the Drengr will not risk their people to dragon fire. Trust me when I say, King Talon's efforts are focused elsewhere. He will be plotting to reclaim Fort Squall. Though—" he hesitated "—you've allowed your pirates to take certain...liberties with Dragonwall's shores. I would suggest halting such behavior to avoid drawing increased attention to the cities along the southern and western costline. Until, that is, you launch a full scale attack. I should certainly hope the combined forces of our battle bats, with the strength of the Asarlaí and your navy would pose no true obstacle."

"We cannot recall our pirates. Our need for slaves grows," Lord Xieanne drawled. "Especially if we are to increase our navy enough to carry battle bats and armies enough to conquer the Eigaden Peninsula."

"Have you not slaves enough in your own lands?" He threw and arm wide. Oshea certainly had lands aplenty. It extended far to the west, its territories rumored to be as large as Dragonwall, perhaps larger. There were four main cities, and it was known that Notna was merely the emperor's autumn home. He didn't have but one capital city, he had four.

Kane had never charted much farther than Oshea's largest port cities, Notna included. His attention had always been on Dragonwall. Perhaps that ought to change whilst he was here.

Lord Xieanne's face had turned a deep shade of red. "You would dare—"

The emperor held up a hand, halting Lord Xieanne's triade. "We will consider your request, Lord Kane. Your offer is tempting. My forefathers have longed to see Dragonwall under the umbrella of our great nation. Even if it is but a few of it's great Dragondoms. I have much to discuss with my advisors. I will summon you when I am ready." He gave a flick of his wrist.

Clenching his teeth, Kane offered a respectful bow and swept from the throne room.

***

The atrium's colloquium round table was filled, every seat accounted for. A round table. Equals. The thought was appalling.

Above the table, a glass dome with thousands of small panes glittered like gems, letting the cerulean sky with its puffy white clouds play host to the evening's entrance, as stars began to flick into existence. It was a sight. He'd never seen something so staggering. So marvelous. But he expected many engineering marvels to come, when Dragonwall once more played host to vast numbers of skilled magical talent. Talent beyond the mere mockery of the Magoi. Talent that wasn't afraid to use its resources the way resources ought to be used. Dragonwall's lack of forward progress had always irked him.

Kane sat with his long lost brothers, Asarlaí who headed up The Black Tower. Those powerful enough to earn a position here, one they so graciously granted him by gifting him a seat. The honor was lost on him.

While they were fully extinct in Dragonwall—and had been since the Second Age—Asarlaí thrived here. However, they no longer called themselves such—a mockery in and of itself. Here they were known as Wielders of The Black Tower and this was their...university. Wielders were esteemed in Oshea. Revered. Respected. They were not feared, as they were in Dragonwall. Some said the colloquium held more power than the emperor himself. Kane fully believed it, though he despised their obvious weakness, that they were powerful enough to rule but chose to be diplomatic about it. Chose to let a puppet dictate to Oshea's people when they ought to be running the Oshean Empire.

"...a new university will benefit Dragonwall in more ways than one," Lord Cai was saying. He snapped his focus back to the matter at hand. "But I cannot see why we should want to change what already works. Emperor Yanna does a fine job and will send plenty of advisors into Dragonwall in his stead."—Kane almost snorted. As if he wanted or needed additional Oshean advisors mucking about—"Wielders are better suited to focus on the expansion of the university and replenishing what was once our homeland."

"You call it your homeland," he said, no longer able to keep quiet, "yet you forsake your true titles. You would not be Wielders in Dragonwall." He was trying and failing miserably at feigning patience. "And I will rule Dragonwall just fine without the need for additional advisors. You will have my permission to start whatever schools you deem fit. I'll even let you keep your...new title. Dragonwall will be mine whether Oshea steps in or not. But if the emperor agrees to help, he will have several choice Dragondoms to add to his ever growing...collection."

"A few Dragondoms is nothing compared to his vast holding. Why then should we bother?" Lord Cai snapped, eying the other Wielder lords. "What's in it for us beyond the promise of more universities and a foothold to return to our homeland."

"The university land itself will be yours. It will function independently of the monarchy I plan to establish. You will have plenty of freedom. Freedom I'm not certain your precious emperor gives you unless you manipulate him into it."

Knowing glances shot around the table.

"There was a time in Dragonwall's history, long before it was called such, that Asarlaí ruled their own territories, each in their own right, in whatever way they saw fit. While I don't plan to plunge us into those days long past, I admire the progression I have witnessed here in Oshea."

"You would allow slavery then?"

He lifted a shoulder. "I don't see why not. It works well enough here."

The others nodded, satisfied. He was well aware that slaves kept their precious university running. Slaves were the backbone of Oshea's empire. Slaves were the reason Oshea was forced to expand its borders regularly. Its own people supported the notion. Better to take foreigners than feel the whip on their own backs.

"Very well, Lord Kane. You have given us much to think over. We will reconvene tomorrow to further discuss plans to invade."

"You will bring the emperor to our cause then?" he asked, just to be sure.

"Oh yes," Lord Cai acknowledged. "He follows where we lead."

"Excellent. Until tomorrow then." He stood. Chairs scraped in his wake as he strode from the room, careful not to let the others see the broad smile that stretched across his face. 

⭐️🌟⭐️🌟⭐️

Happy Friday Bookdragons,

This is the first glimpse i've given into the world beyond Dragonwall's borders. I've casually dropped Oshea's name a few times, but here we truly get to step foot into the country. And also into Kane's bad behavior. 

Next week's chapter will be from Mikkin's POV. I think this is his first chapter in this book, no? The title is "The Great Stone Road" for which I also made a map, which will be supplemental to the writing and included in the forth book. I might also make a small map of Oshea and include that in the 4th book publication as well. I love making maps and seeing the world grow. After next week, we will return to Esterpine for a short bit and then off to Kastali Dun :) I've been hearing that a Talon chapter is in order soon?? So hopefully I get some time to write one this weekend.

All my best,

Mel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

50.2K 4K 39
❝ Let's rule a Kingdom, shall we? ❞ •○• When human slave turned Fae Handmaiden, Cara Arnel found herself in the Kingdom she had initially been fleein...
453 106 33
Vale Havon and Aberon had been at war for thirty years. Three decades of battle on the Eastern plains of Vale Havon's lands. This is why on the Weste...
2.8K 382 56
~The Elves lost their Magic. The Princess is a Dragon. The Halfling is a Shifter. And Witches rule the Realm.~ Liss' clan lives in a world of seclusi...
6.2M 400K 66
When a wounded dragon falls from the sky, Claire Evans runs into a cornfield to rescue it. This isn't just any dragon, he's a shifter, one of six roy...