THE NORTHERN CRUSADE

By Saptaswapal

The North has always endured. They had survived the Long Night, they had resisted the might of the Andals. Th... More

WINTER IS COMING
THE BANNERS OF WINTERFELL
MOAT CAILIN
THE FINAL PREPARATIONS
BATTLE OF GREEN FORK & WHISPERING WOODS
AFTERMATH
THE NEXT MOVE
INTERLUDE- 1
THE YOUNG WOLF STRIKES AGAIN
FALL OF THE GOLDEN TOOTH
THE KINGS OF THE SOUTH
ROBB STARK'S INVASION OF THE WESTERLANDS
INTERLUDE- 2
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 1
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 2: BATTLE OF BLACKWATER
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 3: SIEGE OF LANNISPORT AND CASTERLY ROCK
THE CHANGE OF TIDE- PART 4
FURTHER PLANNING
INTERLUDE- 3
THE REACH CAMPAIGN
BATTLE OF OLD TOWN
YOU ARE A GREYJOY AND YOU ARE A STARK
THE SOUTHERN PRINCESS
THE PLAYERS (BIOGRAPHY)
THE END IS NEAR: PART 2
THE END IS NEAR: PART 3
PRELUDE TO BATTLE
BATLLE OF GODS EYE: PART 1
THE BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 2
BATTLE OF GODS EYE: PART 3
CONCLUSION
PEACE AND WAR
THE CITY OF KINGS
THE OFFER
THE FALL OF THE CAPITAL
INVITATIONS AND CONFESSIONS
JUDGEMENTS
CHANGES AT COURT
THE HIGH COUNCIL
THE WALL
BATTLE OF THE WALL
TREATY

THE END IS NEAR

794 13 0
By Saptaswapal

300 AC

CROWNLANDS

KING'S LANDING

KEVAN LANNISTER

The silence in the room was deafening. Everyone was sat down around the table of the room set aside for the small council to use.        

Mace Tyrell and Cersei Lannister are red with fury, while all of the others were sat uncomfortably.

Pycelle looked a little pale while Littlefinger was in his usual smug self, even though his eyes showed hint of uncertainty. The corrupt commander of the Gold Cloaks, Janos Slynt, was wide eyed with fear. Varys was the only one whose face didn't give away anything.

The messenger who arrived just this morning had brought news that he, and indeed everyone else did not expect. Only eight days ago, Robb Stark had defeated Lord Baelor's host and had successfully captured the city of Old Town.

It was a major catastrophe, as most of their food supplies are coming from The Reach and Lord Baelor's army is the only force that was guarding the domain of House Tyrell.

And now with his army destroyed, the Northmen are now running rampant all along the Reach, burning and pillaging the country side.

The northmen have effectively blocked the Rose Road, looting the baggage trains of supplies and food that were meant for
Capital. And While the Redwyne fleet is helping in bringing supplies, it will not be long before their massive army and populous of the city began starving.

And knowing Tywin, his brother would rather feed his army that wasting the food and supplies on starving smallfolks.

"Well" Littlefinger drawled sarcastically "Looks like Lord Tyrion's plan to stop Robb Stark failed as always".

"Laugh Whoremonger, laugh" Kevan thought darkly "But don't forget it was you, who betrayed Lord Eddard Stark. And if his son won this war, it will be your head he will take first".

He had never liked Littlefinger, and it was only because of the, Late Hand Of The King, Lord Jon Arryn, that the Master Of Coin had gained his position in the Small Council.

His youngest nephew glared at the Master Of Coin hatefully "My plan didn't
fail Lord Baelish" Tyrion snapped angrily "We had Robb Stark in the ropes, if only Lord Baelor had been patient in hi attack, our plan would have worked flawlessly".

"But can we really blame Lord Baelor" Varys said softly "His home was in danger, anyone at his position would have done the same thing".

"But that doesn't excuse his insubordination" Cersei said strongly "We have to punish him".

Tyrion raised an eyebrow "And how will you punish him" he said sarcastically "He is a prisoner of our enemy, if you didn't  forget".

"And besides, Lord Varys is right" Kevan said "We would have done the same thing". And it was true. They would have done the same if their own home is being attacked. Hell his brother Tywin, who is always composed and rational in his work, almost did the same thing when he heard that Casterly Rock had fallen.

"I cannot wait any longer we have to march on the Starks immediately" Mace Tyrell demanded "I will not sit here while he burns my home"

"Or You are just jealous that my brother gave Lord Tarly the command of the army and not to you" Kevan thought, which is true.

Seeing that the Young Wolf is busy campaigning in The Reach with the vast majority of his forces, his brother had tasked Lord Tarly to take 20,000 men and attack Maidenpool. He wanted to secure the castle as a staging point for further incursion in Riverlands.

While Tarly's attack in Maidenpool is stopped by the Blackfish and his Rivermen. The decision to appoint lord Tarly as the commander was a serious blow to Mace Tyrell's ego, who thought that it was insulting that his bannerman was given command, instead of him.

While it was a logical decision, as Mace Tyrell isn't the smartest man and Lord Randyll Tarly is a skilled general, but it has certain political backlash as it slightly alienated Mace Tyrell from their side. 

"Forgive me, my lords. You are right, of course. This is a grave matter" Tyrion's words brought him back from his musings "But I beg you to reconsider marching against Robb Stark."

"Why?" demanded Mace.

"Because it is just what he wants us to do. Forgive me my lords, but Robb Stark defeated Lord Baelor precisely in this manner: he raided his lands to lure him into attacking. I beg you not to repeat his mistake."

"You'll have to pardon me," answered Tyrell pompously "but we outnumber the rebel Starks more than two to one, we will win".

"Then let us remain here. We shall outnumber them by just as much here as anywhere. It may be that Stark wants to lure our forces away from the city so that he can seize it" Tyrion said "He still holds Harrenhall from where he can stage an attack, he can send the Rivermen to capture the capital while we are fighting his northmen in the Reach"

"That may be true" Littlefinger said "But the Rivermen suffered heavy casualties during the Battle Of Maidenpool and let's not forget Lord Tarly is still guarding the King's Road".

"That hardly means there's no threat from that quarter," Kevan said for the first time since the start of this council "By now Lysa Arryn will have learned of the capture of Old Town. The knights of the Vale might finally come in on her nephew's side. We must also consider the potential threat from Dorne, no doubt the Martells will be angry on us for breaking the betrothal between princess Myrcella and Prince Trystan"

"The Dornishmen are treacherous snakes, that's so," replied Tyrion. "The Starks might be trying to lure us away from King's Landing."

"All the more reason we should strike decisively. Lysa Arryn is a woman, and Prince Doran, well, he has a woman's heart. Neither will move swiftly, if at all. We can defeat Robb Stark before any allies might come in to help him," Mace Tyrell answered confidently.

"My lords," interjected Baelish, "Let me sail to Gulltown to treat with Lady Arryn. I am certain I can persuade her that she would be better served to remain in the Eyrie, safely out of this war."

"What makes you so confident you can convince her?" Kevan asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I've convinced her of other things," Littlefinger answered with a lascivious grin.

"Lord Baelish' proposal is a good one," said Tyrell. "If he can even delay matters in the Vale, that should give us enough time to deal with this Young Wolf. And anyway, we cannot remain here. Stark has cut the Rose Road. There is no food entering the city, and we barely have enough left to feed our army. If we stay here, we shall starve. The longer we sit here, the more the size of our host works against us."

"The Redwyne fleet is on its way, is it not? Once it arrives, we can supply the city by sea," Tyrion countered.

"While Stark attacks Highgarden?" Mace demanded.

"My lord Hand," Tyrion countered, "Highgarden is a strong castle, with a strong garrison. It will not fall quickly."

"Casterly Rock was a strong castle too," Tyrell fired back, causing everyone to stiffen.

The loss of Casterly Rock is still heavy on their minds.

"So as you can see," Mace added, "Time is no longer on our side. According to Varys' spies, the Young Wolf has another army of least 10,000 strong, reserved in the north. And as long as we wait, his numbers will swell. That is why we must march now."

"My lords," Tyrion began, "this is surely grievous news. But we must not let these grave tidings lead us into making a mistake. Robb Stark wants us to march against him. We shall be playing into his hands."

"Or perhaps he only wants us to think that he wants us to march against him," Pycelle retorted. "Perhaps he really wants us to remain here."

"The Grand Maester is wise," Mace said happy that someone agrees with him "If we start wondering if what we are doing is only what Robb Stark wants us to do, we shall never be able to come to any decision".

"Lord Mace is right" Littlefinger said smugly "Tell me Lord Tyrion, do you think Lord Rowan will find your motives with Robb Stark a great reassurance when you explain why we do not plan to restore him to Goldengrove presently?"

"I expect he will think us craven," answered Cersei. "As do I. We must crush this rebel and retake every castle, hall, keep, and holdfast he has seized."

"Her Grace is right, of course," Lord Tyrell now added. "My knights and lords bannermen will not sit idle here in King's Landing while the northmen raid their crops, ride off with their flocks, and burn their castles. We must not let it be said that we fear to face the Stark boy," he said.

"We do fear to face him!" Tyrion finally shouted, slamming his fist on the table "You can all deny it if you want, but we do fear to face him".

The entire room was silent and Kevan knows that Tyrion's words had hit the mark. While it ashamed him to admit it, but his nephew is correct. Many among the council, himself included, is a little bit afraid. Even though they outnumbered the enemy, two to one, they still can't help but feel that the Young Wolf will win again.

"I have made my decision" His brother Tywin, who had been silent through the entire proceeding, finally said "It is time to end this".

Any hope that Kevan and Tyrion, had for avoiding battle was shattered with Tywin's next words.

"Lord Mace" Tywin said looking at the Reach lord "Tell your troops to sharpen their blades and prepare their armours, we march within a moon's turn".

The Hand of the King then turned to Pycelle "Grand Maester, send a raven to Lord Tarly and tell him to return to King's Landing with his army".

"Prepare yourselves My Lords, for the end is near" Tywin said looking at his council "The council is dismissed".

Those were Tywin's words and quickly the room emptied except the remembers of House Lannister. Tywin poured himself a glass of wine and sat in his chair while Cersei stood up and addressed her father.

"You shouldn't let Mace Tyrell order the council, father" Cersei said "That man is getting too much power".

"And he will get more power, when King Joffrey marries Margaery Tyrell" Kevan said shrugging.

"I still don't like the match" Cersei said sneering "My son can do better than a Tyrell whore as his wife".

"So what you will do" Tyrion taunted "If you aren't forgetting, that most of the resources are contribution from House Tyrell". He said causing Cersei to fume in anger.

"I am the Queen Regent, imp" Cersei snarled "And you will talk to me with respect".

Tyson slammed his hand on the table causing everyone to quite down immediately.

"You are the Queen Regent, but you did not know how to rule" Tywin fumed glaring at Cersei causing her to flinch under her father's cold glare "If it had not been for your incompetence , Ned Stark would have been alive and live the rest of his life in the Wall, Robb Stark would freeze in Winterfell and the war would have ended half a year ago".

The room was silent with tension which was cut, when the doors of the council chambers opened and Lady Olenna Tyrell entered the room.

"I'm afraid I must speak to you, Lord Tywin."

His brother gestured, clearly indicating that he would have that conversation alone, but Lady Olenna got in the way.

"It is not necessary for your family to leave, you can listen to what I have to say" The real ruler of House Tyrell said.

Tywin nodded and Luthor Tyrell's widow sat opposite the Hand of the King.

"Well my lord, I think I already understood what is happening, Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are marching against Stark correct"

Olenna looked at Tywin but he made no gesture to agree with her statement. Kevan knew that his brother would never give Olenna Tyrell the pleasure of knowing him, so Olenna continued.

"Well, Lord Tywin, that's how things are going to be. There will be no hit and run. The Seven Kingdoms must watch the Crown crush this rebellion by arms, in an open battle" Olenna said "You must face Robb Stark in battle and for the good of all of us I hope that you have managed to find a way to defeat the Young Wolf in battle because if not, the consequences will be very dire" She said with an edge.

As expected, Cersei's outburst was explosive.

"Do you threaten my family?" The Queen regent seethed.

The old woman laughed.

"No dear, I'm just telling the truth. Robb Stark has humiliated your father whenever he could, and this latest plan to stop him has failed". Olenna hummed "The soldiers of the Reach will follow you my lord, use them well and end this war once and for all"

The old Lady of Highgarden got up and went to the exit but she turned before before she left.

"And we'd better find Sansa Stark, Lord Lannister. That girl is one of the main points of our alliance, and I don't want her to be in danger"

The old woman's final words, or rather everything that had come out of her fiery tongue, had chilled the already rather sunken spirits of the Lannisters. Cersei was the only one who dared to speak.

"Father, we have to teach the Tyrells a lesson, We cannot let them humiliate us, I will not marry my son with the whore of Highgarden"

Tywin slammed the table and Cersei fell silent.

"Your son will marry Margaery and we will maintain our alliance with the Tyrells. We'll take care of them when the war is over. But now we need them if we want to defeat Robb Stark" his brother looked at Kevan "Brother, prepare the Westerlands troops, we will end the Young Wolf's reign once and for all".

And in that moment, seeing Tywin's gaze, Kevan didn't know what to think. Perhaps it was doubt what he saw in the green-gold eyes of his older brother. Afraid? Whatever it was, it only implied one thing for sure: there was still a battle to be fought, and as much as the numbers played in favor of the Lannisters, Kevan Lannister found it difficult to think of a beneficial future for his family.

He only thought of his wife and his children and prayed that for once that the Wolf boy would not be blessed once more by the Old gods. Only with his death would Kevan see his family again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And Done

This is my first time writing from Kevan Lannister's perspective. I hope you like it. In the books Kevan is someone, who admires Tywin even though his older brother is not a very.  good person.

The Tyrells are getting more power and influence in King's Landing but that was to be expected as they have more resources than House Lannister.

So as you can see The Royal army is preparing to march out. The end is near. I hope you are all ready for the final battle of The War Of The Five Kings.

If you liked this chapter don't forget to leave a comment because remember  reviews are food for a writer's soul.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

228K 3.7K 19
- UNDER EDITING - On the day that her father, the Mad King Aerys II, was killed, Princess Visenya Targaryen, the true heir to the Iron Throne, became...
10.4K 133 24
" Robb...I'm a just a servarnt for your family..." " Well you are more to me than that, Savannah " -------------------------- Savannah Lily was take...
1.9K 41 5
It was running the year 303 AC. Rhaegar Targaryen, First of his name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men sat on the Iron Throne for t...
1.5M 57.3K 114
A daughter born admits snow with ice in her eyes and fire in her heart A son born admits flames with fire in his eyes and ice in his heart The union...