Genetics • Sirius Black

By disasterfairy

"Know thy enemy." "Stop being so dramatic." Freya Grey had purposely avoided Sirius Black ever since she had... More

Act One.
Act One: Red Light
Chapter One: I Don't Think We've Met.
Chapter Two: Slytherin, Eh?
Chapter Three: The Night Really Brings Out Your Eyes.
Chapter Four: A Funny Rumor.
Chapter Five: The Angry Girl With Pretty Hair.
Chapter Six: Is This Seat Taken?
Chapter Seven: It's An Invitation.
Chapter Eight: Scatter!
Chapter Nine: Explains The Marigolds, Then.
Chapter Ten: Crab Cakes?
Chapter Eleven: We Are Nothing Without It.
Chapter Twelve: I'd Rather Perish.
Chapter Thirteen: Must Be Freezing.
Chapter Fourteen: Couldn't Quite Fix The Shoes.
Chapter Fifteen: It's Just One Class.
Chapter Sixteen: Didn't Sleep Well Last Night.
Chapter Seventeen: It Makes Very Good Sense.
Chapter Eighteen: Of Course It Is.
Chapter Nineteen: Snivellus! Snivellus! Snivellus!
Chapter Twenty: Therefore, It Is My Business.
Chapter Twenty One: Spicing Up Her Dull Scheming Life.
Chapter Twenty Two: Cocky Are We?
Chapter Twenty Four: Soon You Shall See The Truth.
Chapter Twenty Five: Thought You Cared.
Act Two: Yellow Light
Chapter Twenty Six: Sick Of This
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Wonder What's Going On In Her head.
Chapter Twenty Eight: I Couldn't Care Less About You.
Chapter Twenty Nine: She's What?
Chapter Thirty: Please.
Chapter Thirty One: Dumb, Not Stupid.
Chapter Thirty Two: Mind If I Walk With You?
Chapter Thirty Three: Friendly With Each Other
Chapter Thirty Four: All Under Control.
Chapter Thirty Five: Don't Worry You Have All My Attention.
Chapter Thirty Six: It Is My House.
Chapter Thirty Seven: The Map.
Chapter Thirty Eight: Shut up, Avery.
Chapter Thirty Nine: Nothing's Wrong.
Chapter Forty: Right On Top Of Each Other.
Chapter Forty One: Sustenance?
Chapter Forty Two: Pure As They Come.
Chapter Forty Three: These Things Can Be Overwhelming.
Chapter Forty Four: Under Pressure.
Chapter Forty Five: Is That You?
Chapter Forty Six: Draw That Line.
Chapter Forty Seven: Let's Just Call It A Day
Chapter Forty Eight: Came As Soon As I Heard
Chapter Forty Nine: Sharp And Endearing.
Chapter Fifty: Wasting Time.
Chapter Fifty One: Goodnight.
Chapter Fifty Two: Stubborn Idiot!
Chapter Fifty Three: I'm Tired.
Chapter Fifty Four: Being Rude Has Never Stopped You Before.
Chapter Fifty Five: Bonehead?
Chapter Fifty Six: That Would Be Twat-ish
Chapter Fifty Seven: So Serious?
Chapter Fifty Eight: Odd Mark.
Chapter Fifty Nine: Righteous School Spirit.
Chapter Sixty: Sneak Out.
Chapter Sixty One: Moony?
Chapter Sixty Two: Sirius Stays.
Chapter Sixty Three: Goodnight, Grey.
Chapter Sixty Four: What Happens Now?
Chapter Sixty Five: Rupture.
Chapter Sixty Six: Asleep.
Chapter Sixty Seven: Questions For Ms.Grey.
Chapter Sixty Eight: It's Temporary.
Chapter Sixty Nine: Best Friends.
Chapter Seventy: You Promised.
Act Three: Green Light.
Chapter Seventy One: Black Wedding.
Chapter Seventy Two: Beach.
Chapter Seventy Three: Truth or Dare?
Chapter Seventy Four: Obvious.
Chapter Seventy Five: Happy To Be Back.
Chapter Seventy Six: Got Turned On By Remus's Clavicle Once.
Chapter Seventy Seven: Want.
Chapter Seventy Eight: That Still Your Plan?
Chapter Seventy Nine: She's Mental!
Chapter Eighty: Add Another Scar To Your Collection.
Chapter Eighty One: A Gentleman.

Chapter Twenty Three: Just Something I've Noticed.

9.7K 340 68
By disasterfairy

By his third year, Severus Snape had memorized all of the potions recipes and dark arts spells in the seventh year syllabus. By fourth year, he had improved on them, made shortcuts advanced potion masters could not, and strengthened them to be three times as powerful. By fifth year, he branched out to inventing and tinkering spells and potions. Now, in his sixth year, he had successfully produced five different spells and various potions on his own.

Though he lack a certain prowess and fashion sense, he made up for that in his intelligence and was very proud of it. If he could not laugh with them, he would laugh at their stupidity. It was a motto he adopted after his third conversation with Freya Grey.

And after several months of observation, Severus had come to the conclusion Remus Lupin was hiding something very dark from Lily Evans and Freya.

All this to say, Severus Snape was not a foolish boy.

However, on occasion, his attempts to be subtle would be laid on rather thick. For example, though he meant to make a casual comment at breakfast, it came out as a random string of words followed by a stoic face. "Have you ever noticed how Lupin always becomes more irritable one week every month?"

"So, does Freya, Severus. It's nothing special." Regulus Black commented, not even looking up from his Quidditch magazine.

Freya glared at him as she took a sip of her orange juice. Then she turned her attention back to Sev. "Since when have you had an interest in Remus' behavior?"

He blinked and shrugged. "Just something I've noticed that's all."

Just then, Lily walked up to their table and dropped down next to them. "Are you excited for the Quidditch game today?"

The first thing Sev noticed when she sat down, red hair slightly tangled and thin snake painted on her cheek, was the strong scent of her perfume. It was a sweet floral smell that made him instantly relax.

"If by excited you mean ready to throw up, then yes." Regs replied, his stomach filled with jitters. It was Ravenclaw V. Slytherin, which meant their strategy had to be perfect.

"I don't see why. Based on their scores last match they have the weakest team in the whole school. Their seeker couldn't even spot the snitch until twenty minutes into the game." Freya moved her eggs around her plate. "Plus she wears glasses, so she's one well-time bludger from being completely useless." Regs hid a smile in his hand, and Sev let out a slight cough that covered his slight laugh, but Lily looked disturbed. The dark-haired girl noticed and then added, "Not saying they should do that, but it is still a possibility."

Lily took a big swig of grape juice and started questioning the incident that led to a Hufflepuff seeker breaking their arm.

But, Sev looked at both girls with a pleased smile on his face, they both were special in their own ways, and still managed to be dear to his heart, one slightly more than the other; however, both important nonetheless. Yet, there was a pinch of dread circling in his mind as he watched Remus Lupin walk out of the Great Hall, his shoulders tense. He reeked of bad news.

Severus knew if that Lily Evans and Freya Grey would not leave Remus Lupin alone solely based on his word. He just needed proof and he was going to get it.

***

After breakfast, Severus, Lily, and Regulus went down to the Quidditch pitch while Freya went to send a letter to the owlry. Most students were already with the rest of the school outside or hiding in their dorms until the games were over, so no one would question why Freya was sending transcribed Arabic spells to the ministry.

Once she finished walking back down the long stairs, she was already wondering about when she would be able to send another one. Christmas was coming up and funds would be rather dry soon.

Most of her gifts had already been planned out for the year but she now had one more person to include to the list she had not foreseen last year. Even so, she was hesitant on giving Remus a gift, unsure if it was normal at this stage in their relationship. They were friends for all intents and purposes, some might even say close friends. Those people would not include Freya Grey or Severus Snape for reasons being Freya was more than a little weary about titles, having not called Regulus Black her friend until two years after their friendship was established(he was still working his way to adding best into the title), and Severus completely hated the idea of Remus being her friend.

But would that be improper protocol? She did not want him to think she did not appreciate their friendship or that she was trying too hard. Perhaps a nice sweater would—

"Boo!" A voice whispered in her ear causing her to jump.

"Bloody hell." She muttered, holding her hand to her heart then continued walking. More annoyed than scared as she looked at Sirius Black.

Half his face was painted navy blue, the other sporting some shimmery bronze shadow on his cheeks. A blue scarf was wrapped around his neck that swayed while he walked completed the look. "Wow, you do actually leave the dungeons and library, I'm shocked."

It had been a month or so since they had been stuck in their little adventure and they had not spoken much. They still despised one another, but Sirius had stopped his investigating for a moment and Freya refrained from insulting his intelligence... for the most part at least.

Her eyes combed over his get up and it was impossible for her to not smile just a little at the foolishness of it. "You look absolutely ridiculous."

"It's Ravenclaw support." He replied with all the confidence of the world, then pointed at the drawn bird on his cheek. "Hence the raven."

"It's an eagle." Freya corrected.

"It's Ravenclaw, not Eagleclaw." Sirius' brows pinched slightly.

This made her take a long look at him. "I am extremely concerned for the fate of our generation."

He suddenly remembered hearing something about that fourth year, thinking it was a joke. Then his confidence wavered for a moment and he kicked a little stone that had made its way into the castle. "Well, not all houses can be so transparent." His grey eyes glanced at her pleased expression with annoyance. "Where are your snakes, anyway?"

"Waiting for me at the Quidditch pitch."

"Someone lacks house spirit." Sirius pointed out, slightly confused knowing Regulus was on the team. Despite her closest friend being the seeker, Freya did not do more than draw a snake on her cheek every now and then.

"Lily's holding enough spirit for the both of us, actually." Not only did the sweet redhead paint her face, she borrowed a sweater from Severus(Freya was going to offer, but Lily had much longer arms than she did and fear it would get stretched out) and colored her nails silver.

"Ah, yes, the lovely Lily flower." Sirius tucked his hands into his pocket and tilted his head back. "It'll never cease to amaze me how someone so kind and noble, chooses to hang out with people like you."

"Well, when her options were us or four very annoying boys with superiority complexes and soon to be receding hairlines, it must have been a very hard choice." She said in her blank tone as they finally made it to the outside of the school. He stopped in his tracks to glare at her as she continued walking to the pitch. Shaking his head, he had little to no remorse about the banner he and James made last night calling the Slytherin team some rather rude names.

***

"Slytherin, Slytherin, Slytherin!" The entire house roared with glee inside the common room, but Lily, Freya, Regulus, and Severus sat in a circle in their favorite spot outside. Charmed with Muffliato and Cave Inimicum for the night, they pranced around in a circle like madmen.

"And cheers to the Great Regulus Arcturus Black, Ravenclaw never stood a chance." Freya grinned wrapping an arm around her friend's neck, her cup of firewhiskey sloshing slightly.

"Woo!" Lily cheered from her spot on the blanket next to Severus.

"Ooh," Freya murmured as she nearly fell, but Regs kept her from hitting the ground too hard as he lowered her, arm wrapped on her waist, careful not to drop her cup. This was very much not her first cup of firewhiskey. She leaned forward, her eyes intently fixed on his face. "What's it like to be a star?"

He bit back a laugh. "It's very nice, Freya."

"You embarrassed them," She waved her hand theatrically in the air, and Severus and Lily grinned into their cups. "The whole lot of them."

Regs gently pried the cup from her hands. "You have had a lot to drink."

"It's a very good juice, I want one." Her head lulled on his shoulder, eyes barely open.

"You want one?"

"A whole bottle." She lifted her head, very interested. "Do you have one?"

"Afraid not." He shook his head and shared a look with Lily and Severus sitting across from them. Sev having never seen Freya intoxicated found this to be particularly interesting. Her cheeks looked lightly pinked and her attempt to be proper was waning along with her typically restraint from any form of physical affection.

Lightly she huffed, cuddling Reg's arms before her eyes suddenly lit up. "You know what I really liked?" Her hand waved. "Flint's face when you got the snitch." Head-turning to her other friend, she attempted to keep her head straight. "Lily saw it, it was funny was it not?"

"Yes, it was." Lily restrained her smile, having not more than a sip of firewhiskey all night since she had prefect duties to get to afterward.

Focusing her attention on her, Freya looked at her completely enamored by the girl in front of her. "Your hair's so pretty." She stared almost longingly at her. "It's all red and straight. You probably don't need a lot of conditioner either."

Clearing her throat, Lily's cheeks pinked slightly(which Sev found particularly beautiful)."You have very pretty hair, too, Freya."

Patting the curls on her head, Freya shook her head. "It takes me hours." She looked up at Regs. "Just drying it takes hours. Absolutely ridiculous."

Regs nodded, slightly concerned for her health. "How about we get you some water?" She groaned back in response and he looked at the others.

"Let's turn in for tonight." Lily offered and Sev nodded.

"Come on, Freya. One foot at a time." Sharp jawed boy, gently lifted her up to her feet.

The two started to make their way back to the common room, Freya now taking a moment to admire his bone structure. "When did you get so beautiful?"

"About two drinks ago." He replied, then waved goodbye at Lily and Sev.

"Freya's lovely." Smiling humorously, Lily stood up. "Walk me back?" She asked Severus, picking up her blanket from the ground.

Being a man of few words, he gave a curt nod and helped her fold the quilt, taming his smile carefully.

Side by side they walked up the grounds, the evening breeze on their skin. It wasn't curfew yet, so they moved leisurely through the castle. Occasionally, Sev would sneak glances at her freckled skin and peaceful smile.

"Lily..." He started, playing with the sleeves of his cloak.

"Hey, I was looking for you earlier." Remus Lupin called through the corridor, looking worse than usual. His shirt was beyond wrinkled and his hair was a mess, which nearly distracted from the fact he looked more dead than alive. 

"We were celebrating Regulus' victory." Lily held up the blanket in her hand, then her eyes scanned over his pale face. Concern formed in on her's. "Are you alright?"

"Just fine." A pained smile landed on his lips. "Do you mind going on this shift without me? I've got an essay due tomorrow."

"Of course." Lily agreed, her brows still pinched. "Do you need anything—"

"I'm just fine. Thank you, Lily." Remus snapped lightly, then quickly regretted it. "Sorry, I'm tired."

"It's alright." She smiled softly, but Sev's face held a mean expression. "Have a good night."

"Night, Lily." He replied, his voice full of remorse, then he gave a slight nod to Sev. "Severus." Quickly, he left back up to the common room.

" I should put these back and start patrol now," Lily said, turning back to Sev, snapping him out of his glare to where Remus just was.

"Alright." He replied, his eyes moving to her face, then cleared his throat. "Have you ever noticed how Remus always gets irritable this time of month?"

"Sev, I don't want to hear anymore about this again." A sharper tone came to her words. "Remus is a nice boy, okay?" 

"Okay." He bit his tongue.  

With a small sigh, she gave him a soft hug. "See you tomorrow then." 

"Goodnight, Lily." He gave her one of his rare smiles. 

As he walked down the stairs, he saw none other than Sirius Black leaning on one of the walls looking rather stressed, but his eyes lit up once he saw him and Severus already had a few snide remarks ready on his tongue. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2M 62.6K 85
𝙄𝙣 𝙬𝙝𝙞𝙘𝙝 Y/n Potter and Regulus Black form an unlikely relationship. ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ Y/n Potter and Regulus Black hate each other. It's a know...
303K 11.1K 92
❝𝑮𝑳𝑶𝑹𝒀 𝑵𝑬𝑽𝑬𝑹 𝑪𝑨𝑴𝑬 𝑬𝑨𝑺𝒀❞ in which two of hogwarts' biggest opposites are more alike than they thought. ☼ or: in which sage fontaine...
196K 5.2K 65
The Potter twins had never had great luck. After the war, just when they thought they were finally getting a well-deserved break, they were transport...
800K 25.3K 36
"babe, if you don't wipe that frown off your lips, people might think you don't like hanging out with me." [sirius black x female oc] ...