Heartglass

By Missmaple

In the Glass Kingdom, everyone was suffering from the witch's curse--a curse that made everyone's heart turn... More

Prologue
Heartglass 1: The Seamstress
Heartglass 2: The Royal Palace
Heartglass 3: The Crown Prince
Heartglass 5: The Candidates
Heartglass 6: The Queen's Summon
Heartglass 7: The Real Deal
Heartglass 8: The Official Candidates
Heartglass 9: The Palace Banquet
Heartglass 10: First Day in the Palace
Heartglass 11: The Dead Rose Garden
Heartglass 12: Afternoon Tea
Heartglass 13: The Witch's Curse
Heartglass 14: Love
Heartglass 15: The First Trial
Heartglass 16: Woodcrest
Heartglass 17: The Cursed Forest
Heartglass 18: Winter Preparation
Heartglass 19: Duke of Veare
Heartglass 20: Facade
Heartglass 21: The Second Trial
Heartglass 22: Banquet Preparations
Heartglass 23: Winter
Heartglass 24: Snow Storm
Heartglass 25: Shattered
Heartglass 26: Exposed
Heartglass 27: Dark Schemes
Heartglass 28: The Culprit
Heartglass 29: Framed
Heartglass 30: Hunting Competition
Heartglass 31: Mastermind
Heartglass 32: Coronation
Heartglass 33: Funeral
Heartglass 34: The Offering
Heartglass 35: The Witch's Heart
Epilogue

Heartglass 4: The Royal Decree

2.4K 240 31
By Missmaple

AZALEA

I rested my back on the soft couch of the carriage. It was an exhausting day. I was just glad that the fitting was already over. The palace didn't fascinate me a little despite its grandiose hallways, rooms, function halls and sculpted statues. Power and wealth had no meaning when I actually felt powerless and helpless due to the fragility of my heartglass.

I peered out of the carriage's window as I watched the blazing colors of the maple trees. Its crunchy red and brown leaves were falling from the branches as the cool wind swept them away. The peaceful sight and the warm colors were comforting and relaxing.

It is a shame that we can witness these wonders and beauties but we can't recklessly love it. How lonely is that?

I sighed and averted my gaze from the beautiful sight outside the window. I closed my eyes and focused on the dresses and suits that still needs some adjustments. The princesses were quite picky especially Princess Avi. She wanted to look her best on everything and she was sometimes hard to please.

Well, she was already at a marrying age but I don't think that was something to be excited for.

Though, rumors had it that her fiancé was the son of Duke Charles Veare, Ross Veare, another popular man to the ladies. But unlike Prince Dion, he was not a player. He was careful and aloof when it comes to the ladies. He was careful not to break anyone's heart.

Ross was someone I also knew growing up. It couldn't be helped since he was the best friend of the Crown Prince. With their opposite personalities, I wondered how they got along. Maybe they had the same hobbies? Swords and horses. They were both good at hunting.

But these past days, Ross only had less spare time to visit the Crown Prince. He would be granted the title of a Duke to represent his family soon. He was busy with the paper works and I heard he was already acting as the head of their family. I wondered why his father was retiring so soon. Was it connected to his heartglass?

I shook my head. Well, even if someone died, we were not allowed to care or to show any sadness or sorrow. Death became a natural thing in this kingdom and it no longer surprised us.

When I returned to the shop after lunch, I decided to work until five. I helped my seamstress to apply some final touches on the dresses. I also double checked the ballgowns made for the Crown Princess candidates. Some people said I was workaholic but what else could I do in this place? I didn't want to waste my time doing nothing or worrying for my uncertain future. At least, I lived my life without regrets and that was enough.

Despite the uncertainties of my heartglass, I still managed to fulfill my dreams. Something I was proud of. 

When I returned to our mansion in the evening, my mother rushed to meet me. I noticed the dignified man sitting on our living room – a man with a black hair wearing spectacles and a formal suit. He turned to me and slowly stood from his seat. He had a rolled paper on his one hand with a royal seal. I could only guess that this man came from the palace. Maybe a steward from the palace.

"He is here because of a royal decree. He said it is meant for you." My mother uncomfortably stood next to me, hiding her worried smile.

The man walked towards me and bowed his head a little. "Greetings, Lady Azalea of House Shercon," he greeted. "I'm Steward Alexander Roosevelt, sent by the King, to announce his royal decree tailored for you, my lady."

I refrained from furrowing my brows and biting my bottom lip. I had no idea of what was going on but I still nodded. I couldn't defy the royal decree anyway, though this was secretly making me nervous. Why did he come now? Why didn't the King discuss this to me before passing a royal decree? I was in the palace earlier, right? He could freely talk to me. Why now?

"Please continue," I said, hiding my uneasiness.

Steward Alexander nodded and opened the rolled paper. He took a deep breath before reading the decree. "In this day, twentieth of September of year XXX. By the royal decree, the King has bestowed a task of great importance upon you, Lady Azalea of House Shercon, his loyal subject. You, Lady Azalea Shercon, will become an official candidate of the Crown Princess Selection. By the will of the King, you will undergo trials and will fulfill your duties in the palace until an official Crown Princess is selected and crowned."

Steward Alexander turned to me and offered the paper to me. "Please accept this royal decree."

My hands shook. I was taken aback and I hesitated for a while. But I realized I couldn't disobey the King. Despite my stunned look, I accepted the precious paper he offered. Even my mother couldn't speak next to me. She could only gape.

The steward bowed his head. "I will take my leave now. Apologies if we visited without a schedule."

That was when my mother finally moved. "Then I will accompany you outside, Steward Alexander." I knew she was confused but her etiquette comes first. She accompanied the steward outside the house while I stared at the cursive letters written on the paper I just accepted.

There was no doubt. The royal seal was real. It was handwritten and signed by King Arthur.

When my mother returned, she rushed to my side, never minding her ungraceful movements. She also peered on the royal decree to confirm its authenticity. She could only cover her mouth with her hand and stared at me with wide eyes. She liked gossips. It was her past time. But it seemed she didn't want this one. She had the same red hair as me and she looked frightened.

I put my hand down and almost crumpled the paper–never mind that it came from the King.

"A Royal Decree to participate on the Crown Princess Selection," my mother said in shock.

While I could only curse out loud. "Damn! Fuck it all!"

My mother's eyes widened even more at me. "I didn't raise you with such poor etiquette. Watch your mouth, Azalea! You're a lady. Not a thug," she reprimanded.

But I didn't mind her scolding. "I thought the Crown Princess candidate list was already final? What's this? Why me? I didn't even apply for the initial selection. Why the late announcement? Why didn't they inform me beforehand? I'm also the one supervising the candidate's ballgowns," I said with visible irritation. I would even meet all the candidates tomorrow for fitting. I turned to my mother with an irritated gaze.

"Well, I don't know! Maybe your father mentioned you? Maybe he endorsed you?" my mother answered with confusion. But after a few seconds, she screamed in excitement. "What? My daughter has a chance to become a princess? You have a chance to become a queen?"

"Mom! I don't want to! Do you want me to die? The Crown Princess' fiancé will be Prince Dion! He is known for destroying heartglasses!" I reminded my mother to wake her up from her delusions.

What's the use of becoming a princess if I am actually destined to die?

My mother suddenly fell silent when she realized the fate that awaits me. Her amber eyes suddenly looked devastated. She already had some gray locks on her red hair but she was still beautiful although sometimes, I could notice how already tired she was of living.

Her older daughter already died from heartbreak. My mother suffered from it but she still survived the heartbreak. But some cracks were noticeable around her heart and it was bound to break soon. If I would also die, I was certain her heart would no longer last.

I have one brother but he would inherit the Marquis title when the right time comes. He was the only heir of our family and he was being trained harder than I already experienced. I was the only daughter alive now.

Sadness dawned on her face. "But... that's a royal decree. We can't disobey the king's order." Tears welled from her eyes. "But what if you do something... so that the prince won't pick you? You can marry someone else. Someone who won't hurt you."

I took a deep breath. That was not the point here. Where could I find someone who won't hurt me? It was just wishful thinking. I was certain that if I loved, I would still be hurt, regardless if I wanted it or not. They said we were only marrying to continue our bloodline but that didn't mean we were not risking our hearts.

I didn't want to burden my parents. I didn't want my mother to worry. "I have no choice but to accept this decree. I will take care of this. As long as the Prince won't choose me, it will be alright. I won't endanger my heart."

My mother carefully studied my cold face which was now staring at the almost crumpled letter I tightly held. "What about your business? You will live in the palace for the next months."

I heaved a deep sigh. "I have to close it down for a while. I won't accept orders from anyone. We will just finish our current plate. I just feel sorry for my employees. Guess I have to provide them a salary for a month while they are searching for new jobs. As a compensation."

I was disappointed that I won't be able to do what I wanted for a while.

I turned to my mother with a straight face. "Mom.... I'll just go and change in my room. I'm already tired. Just call me out for dinner."

My mother nodded quietly with a worried face. I went up the double staircase of our grand mansion. Some maidservants quietly followed behind me. I instructed them that I would have a hot bath after resting and eating dinner.

I exhaustedly laid my back on the soft and white mattress.

What happened? Why did they suddenly include me in the list of candidates? I thought the list and the invitation for the Crown Princess Selection was already final?

My eyes narrowed at the white canopy of my bed. Was Prince Dion the one behind this? His words suddenly played inside my head. 

Please don't forget my generosity. I hope you will return the favor.

Damn! This was his doing, right? He asked the king to include me in the list?

I covered my eyes with the back of my hand.

Fuck! I'm so doomed! Damn that asshole prince! He is really testing my patience!

I tightly shut my eyes. I felt so helpless despite my mind cursing the prince nonstop. These curses won't satisfy me. I felt the need of punching him in the face. But that reckless action would only lead to my death.

Damn royalties!

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.9K 3.9K 35
"'There are two types of fear. The type that controls you and the type that feeds your fire.' He stands. 'Don't let your fear control you, Ana. You a...
1K 228 37
Two kings. One woman. Two children. Countless hearts broken. A lost princess stuck in between. Losing the one person she called father to the King of...
3.9K 266 35
𝐀 𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐤 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐜 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐛𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐫𝐨𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞, 𝐯𝐚𝐦𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐥𝐨𝐫𝐞, 𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜, 𝐩𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧, 𝐚𝐧...
120 4 10
A 29-year-old soon-to-be physician, Eleanor, found herself waking up in a strange world where magic and mythical creatures exist, spells are cast, an...