Heartglass 20: Facade

AZALEA

Dressed in a white light long dress, I entered a spacious and grandiose room with luxurious chandeliers illuminating the room in a light yellow shade.

There was a white canopy bed and a study table on the bedside. There were also cushioned couches around a table made of sturdy redwood.

"Do you need anything else, my lady?" The servant was polite so I smiled a little.

I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink so I thought I must do something else other than overthinking.

"Can I have a pen and paper?"

Even though the maidservant was confused, she nodded slowly.

"I will bring these things right away, my lady," she said with a slight bow.

After a few minutes, the maidservant returned with a pen and paper in hand.

"Thank you. You can now rest," I said. The maidservant left after a formal bow.

I placed the pen and paper on the small redwood table and sat on the carpeted floor. I began to sketch designs of dresses and suits as if I was being possessed, hands moving a little faster than usual. I was frantic deep inside but I wanted my mind away from the selection—away from the attempted assassination—away from my possible enemies.

I drew some off-shoulder dresses for spring. And since it was also winter, I designed some turtle-neck dresses and mermaid style dresses for formal occasions. I also designed some ballgowns until I was already tired and drained. My drawings were just rough sketches because my mind was such a mess and I couldn't properly decide if I should put beads, laces or embroideries.

I sighed heavily as I let my left cheek rest on the cold table—wasted and lost and wondering if I would ever survive. My pen messed with the paper with abstract and messy lines. My mind was completely muddled.

My head turned to the other side and my eyes focused on the glass door leading to the balcony. The light was slowly invading the darkness of dawn and the stars were slowly fading away. After putting my pen down, I stood up and opened the glass door. I headed to the balustrades of the terrace where my hands rested.

Half of the sky was already tinted by a beautiful and calming purplish to pink shade and orange hue. The sun was about to rise. I could almost see its bright rays. It was a beautiful sight like a new ray of hope.

My eyes instinctively turned to the iron gates when I heard the clanking sound as the stationed knights opened the way to the castle.

A group of knights entered, riding their horses. My eyes automatically landed on the knights, attendants, and the coachman—the figures I knew very well—Dennis, Gabriel, Aaron, Yumi, Sabrina and Lorcan. Relief washed my face and I heaved a breath to release all the worries I kept in. I wouldn't know what to do if something bad happened to them. I would definitely carry the guilt and burden in my heart of glass for evermore.

Even though I was thankful to know they were safe, I didn't rush to meet them. I was already fine to see them sound. I didn't want any further attachments. I didn't want anyone to be used against me, especially now that I had enemies.

I wanted to stay logical.

The maidservants of the Duchy immediately attended to them. Maybe they already received Duke Ross' orders. I returned inside the room and laid on the soft mattress. I closed my eyes to sleep. I just noticed how my body ached from all the mess.

Once this selection was over, maybe I could finally breathe.

~~~

When I woke up, the maidservants helped me with dressing up.